HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Come off it!

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2003, 08:50 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 500
you know after an oiler win there would be vodka a plenty and cursing in russian. good thing they are not communist anymore, as my grandfather said,"BETTER DEAD THAN RED." :p

Old
10-24-2003, 08:53 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
you know after an oiler win there would be vodka a plenty and cursing in russian. good thing they are not communist anymore, as my grandfather said,"BETTER DEAD THAN RED." :p
lol, wouldn't be to upset about the whole Vodka thing! One thing about the old Russian communist party is that I'd rather have them in power then the NDP!!!!!! (who are perhaps THE greatest joke of a party in Canadian history) but thats just my opinion

Old
10-24-2003, 08:55 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

the same day the ndp comes into power is the same day i find the first flight out of canada.

Old
10-24-2003, 08:59 AM
Belcriss

vCash:
Guys, maybe alot of people are blaming Salo not so much for last game, but for a lot of bad games in recent memory. Has never won in Dallas, but Jussi did. Salo is fragile mentally. I mentioned Game 6 last year in the playoffs, what was he thinking on that first goal? The one that went off his stick and in the net.... he just wasn't paying attention. He is not a good goalie anymore. For whatever reason he plays distracted. You guys say the defence have let him down, while I say he has let the team down. They all go in squeezing their sticks a little too tightly, and screwing up plays they normally make because they know that if they make a mistake, Salo can't stop it. Rare is the game that Salo steals for us anymore, and the guys aren't playing with confidence you get when you know your goalie is gonna bail you out if you screw up.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:02 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Your right to a certain extent. The Oilers poor play defensively hurt Tommy's play and confidence which in turn did even more damage to the Oilers skaters and yet again MORE harm to Tommy. It is a viscious(sp) circle and hopefully the Oilers can break out of this.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:21 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
No one that is defending Salo has ONCE said that he is as good as he was two years ago? Please find me a post that says that.

We are saying he wasn't responsible for the loss last night and anybody that says he was is looking for a scapegoat!
Sorry spaz. I guess that's not what I meant. My point was this: A few years back, Salo rarely let in bad goals. The year the Oilers finsihed 2nd overall in defense, alot of that was to Salo's credit. He stole a large number of games for the Oilers that I haven't seen that since. It's true that no one has said that (although some have pointed to the fact that Salo hasn't won a game for Edm in awhile).

I still stand by the fact that some posters continue to think that Salo can do no wrong. The goaltending position is as such that letting in a bad goal could bad for any team, let alone a younger team like Edmonton. Salo has been letting his share of bad goals in the last year or so.

Fact is, Salo just isn't as effective as he was two years ago. I really hope his game picks up but I going on "I'll beleive it when I see it" . I hope he does.

Oh yeah, I never blamed salo for last night. Show me where I said that. He did let in a bad goal from Foote. He did make a great save of Hinote. He did let in 3 bad goals in the St-Louis game, one bad goal in the avalanche game. MacT said he didn't have a good game vs St-Louis.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:36 AM
gretzky2kurri

One thing about Salo is that he could bounce back after letting in a softee. He doesn't seem to do that anymore.

That's my biggest concern. His mental make up over his mechanics. We know he can unconcious for a span of games.

Old
10-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

This is a great thread with lots of spirited comments and opinions. I'll weigh in on the discussion ...

I have long been a Salo supporter and recognize his value on a team with thread bare talent these past few years. He has been a warrior logging big-time game totals, never complains, and competes hard. Unfortunately last year was an off-year and opened discussion about the possibility of eroding skills in an aging netminder. Sadly with all things Oilers economics is a hot button and enters into all of our evaluation process.

I agree, Salo cannot be held up as a scapegoat for last night's score. The defense and whole team are accountable for a truly uninspired performance. But like some posters here, my criticism with Salo is an inability to make the timely, necessary saves to either stop momentum or keep this fragile team in hockey games. In my eyes, the floodgates opened up last night after Foote's goal. In tight against a superior hockey team, this fragile team simply cannot afford weak goals. Salo was out of position on the Foote goal and this very, very stoppable play. The Colorado team responded like a shark with blood in the water. They pressed and scored in bunches. This goal had an opposite effect imo on a fragile Oiler team. Deflating.

I will watch Salo closely over the next little while to evaluate his play. I look forward to Salo rebounding as the fierce competitor he is but will also watch to see if this decline in skills continues. We need the big save and the confidence it can inspire in a young, fragile team.

Closed Thread