HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Has Ovechkin picked a company yet?

Old
09-08-2011, 10:00 PM
KareyPrice

vCash: 500
Since the APX skates came out new X60s were going for $499 not a bad price x60s are great skates too

KareyPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post
Food for thought:

the new bauer APX skates are $200 more expensive than the competitors' top of the line skates. Why else do they think they can get away with that pricing?

Is the APX technology really worth $200 (almost 1/3 of the price) more than the other skates?
care to elaborate on "APX technology"?

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:59 PM
goonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
care to elaborate on "APX technology"?
Beats me. This is what I see/hear from the marketing people:

1) New boot material they call "alive" that's a bit lighter than the X60s

2) a nicer liner inside the boot

3) a slightly better tongue

4) little comfort gimmicks at the side.

5) a bit of aluminum on your blades

6) new paint job

All that for a $200 upgrade.

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Beats me. This is what I see/hear from the marketing people:

1) New boot material they call "alive" that's a bit lighter than the X60s

2) a nicer liner inside the boot

3) a slightly better tongue

4) little comfort gimmicks at the side.

5) a bit of aluminum on your blades

6) new paint job

All that for a $200 upgrade.
So, in short, 6 points. One of them being a completely different construction of the upper part of the skate. Another being a lighter blade while maintaining overall integrity. Yup, Bauer has no idea what their doing.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:13 AM
arne0107
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Wait a few days...he'll probably announce a Bauer deal. Warrior would fit his personality though, would be cool.
Ovie would NEVER take a Warrior endorsement. Warrior can't pay like Bauer or even CCM can and is a grassroots movement, which puts Ovie out of the spotlight.

No publicity = no Ovie
No money = no Ovie

Bauer = $$$ + Publicity

arne0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:15 AM
goonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
So, in short, 6 points. One of them being a completely different construction of the upper part of the skate. Another being a lighter blade while maintaining overall integrity. Yup, Bauer has no idea what their doing.
Oh, did i offend you? I never said Bauer didn't know what they were doing. Bauer probably makes some of the best skaktes out there and has some of the best R&D for skates. I own bauer skates and i think they're great (my old ones were CCM).

What my point was are those 6 points worth $200 more than their predecessor... Is the APX that much better than the X:60s from last year. The biggest upgrade I see from the X:60 to the APX is probably the new material. However, how does the new material translate into improvement in overall performance when compared to the X:60s in the real world. Can that improvement be justified for a $200 extra dollars in the skates? To put it another way, the new skates are better but how much better and is it worth $200.

Personally, i think not but i've never bought skates at such a high-end level for the full price. I do have the XXXXs but I bought them for less than $150 last year. I've never worn the X:60s and APX so people that have used the APX may think they're significantly better and be worth the upgrade. Others may think not. It's about personal opinion, how deep your wallet is (and marketing)

Last edited by goonx: 09-11-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old
09-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnordi View Post
Caps will have a Bauer line!

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin

I don't blame Ovechkin though, I hate CCM sticks too.

don't forget Vokoun.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Oh, did i offend you? I never said Bauer didn't know what they were doing. Bauer probably makes some of the best skaktes out there and has some of the best R&D for skates. I own bauer skates and i think they're great (my old ones were CCM).

What my point was are those 6 points worth $200 more than their predecessor... Is the APX that much better than the X:60s from last year. The biggest upgrade I see from the X:60 to the APX is probably the new material. However, how does the new material translate into improvement in overall performance when compared to the X:60s in the real world. Can that improvement be justified for a $200 extra dollars in the skates? To put it another way, the new skates are better but how much better and is it worth $200.

Personally, i think not but i've never bought skates at such a high-end level for the full price. I do have the XXXXs but I bought them for less than $150 last year. I've never worn the X:60s and APX so people that have used the APX may think they're significantly better and be worth the upgrade. Others may think not. It's about personal opinion, how deep your wallet is (and marketing)
I agree with what your saying. Is it a better skate? Probably. Is the average player going to score more goals, get more assists, etc. wearing them vs. a $300-$600 skate? Probably not.

I see this a lot. The lower the skill level of players the more they focus on equipment. It's almost like they hope in some way the high dollar stuff will make them a better player. Equipment makes such a small difference in performance if any especially for lower level to intermediate level players. A pro level player is going to be able to exploit those very small improvements that high level gear has. Guys in mens leagues don't have the strength, power, coordination, stamina, balance, etc. to really benefit from $800 skates for example.

If you have the money to blow then buy top end everything, it's your money. Just don't expect it to make you any better especially if you aren't very good to begin with. That will take eating right, training hard, and practice. You can't buy skill, but people keep trying.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:54 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Saying that the amount of thought a player puts into the price of their gear is proportionate to their skill level, in that lower level players focus more on equipment sounds pretty dumb, especially coming from the guy with a thread on the same page asking how he can pick the puck up off the boards without kicking it into the slot for a goal against, ESPECIALLY when it comes to skates. Unless you're talking about a previous year's top-end model that you're picking up at a discounted price, you won't find a skate in the $300 range that I would buy and it has nothing to do with being a "noob" and everything to do with the fact that I could go through 2-3 pairs of $300 skates in the same length of time that one $600 pair would last me, and not have to go through the break-in periods. If you're truly a "high level" skater and the size of a grown man, caring about the construction of a $600 skate boot and how stiff it is/how long it's going to stay that way should be a primary concern. Saying that guys "in men's league" don't have the power, coordination, etc. is absurd as well. I play in a men's league where guys like Benoit Hogue are regulars. There are men's league where very good people play hockey; retired NHLers, former D1 college players, guys who played juniors as a kid but weren't good enough to make a career out of hockey. Generalizing the way you are is a bit silly because it's 100% untrue. Maybe guys in YOUR C level men's league can't utilize a high end skate. How do you know the guy you see walking into the rink with a pair of X:60s isn't playing A division in the summer before going back to a competitive school team? You don't.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Fred89

Well i'm a beginner and definitively i won't buy a 600$ pair of skates for my 2nd hockey skate!

I've learn how to skate with a recreational skate (One20) and i'm going to stay in the high 300$ range with the next skates (One70)..

But as far as i might be good in future, i think these will hold a couple of years, especially knowing that i'll play once a week atleast for the next 6-8 months

So in my opinion it depends on level, times you hit the ice, weight..

Fred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:04 PM
goonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred89 View Post
Well i'm a beginner and definitively i won't buy a 600$ pair of skates for my 2nd hockey skate!

I've learn how to skate with a recreational skate (One20) and i'm going to stay in the high 300$ range with the next skates (One70)..

But as far as i might be good in future, i think these will hold a couple of years, especially knowing that i'll play once a week atleast for the next 6-8 months

So in my opinion it depends on level, times you hit the ice, weight..
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...gy-eq5-sr.html

Look into EQ5's these are great skates

Last year's top end model (before EQ50)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prustqvist24 View Post
Saying that the amount of thought a player puts into the price of their gear is proportionate to their skill level, in that lower level players focus more on equipment sounds pretty dumb, especially coming from the guy with a thread on the same page asking how he can pick the puck up off the boards without kicking it into the slot for a goal against, ESPECIALLY when it comes to skates. Unless you're talking about a previous year's top-end model that you're picking up at a discounted price, you won't find a skate in the $300 range that I would buy and it has nothing to do with being a "noob" and everything to do with the fact that I could go through 2-3 pairs of $300 skates in the same length of time that one $600 pair would last me, and not have to go through the break-in periods. If you're truly a "high level" skater and the size of a grown man, caring about the construction of a $600 skate boot and how stiff it is/how long it's going to stay that way should be a primary concern. Saying that guys "in men's league" don't have the power, coordination, etc. is absurd as well. I play in a men's league where guys like Benoit Hogue are regulars. There are men's league where very good people play hockey; retired NHLers, former D1 college players, guys who played juniors as a kid but weren't good enough to make a career out of hockey. Generalizing the way you are is a bit silly because it's 100% untrue. Maybe guys in YOUR C level men's league can't utilize a high end skate. How do you know the guy you see walking into the rink with a pair of X:60s isn't playing A division in the summer before going back to a competitive school team? You don't.
I think you're taking things a bit out of context and the meaning behind his post. He said the "average" player won't be able to utilize the $600 skates. you think you're probably in the elite group of players and that's totally fine. It seems like the guys you're playing are really good players and appreciate the difference the increase in performance with the gear. I don't think there's any doubt that a better piece of equipment will increase your performance for players that utilize it's potential... For example, you wouldn't suggest an NHL/AHL caliber player or a really good prospect to use $300 skates. They're at the level where they can appreciate and utilize every drop of advantage in their equipment to increase their performance.

The point I think behind the discussion was whether a pair of APX is really worth $200 more than a pair of X:60 so to say.. or EQ50s or Reebok 11Ks and even the X7.0. Is it really THAT much better. Is it really worth it or is it marketing. Some players will think so and others won't. It's all really perspective on how much money you have, how much you're influence by the marketing and the level you play it. For most people though, they probably won't really get that much out of the extra $200. Any NHL/AHL player will tell you it's worth every penny. Keep in mind that pros can get the best because they're also getting massive sponsorship programs. They make money from playing hockey so their equipment is their bread and butter. Can you imagine a $200,000 player like Mike Brown/Tim Brent paying for their own equipment? $300 for every stick broken, new pads to replace damaged ones or gloves.

Lastly $300 - $600 is quite a jump in levels but how about $500 skates vs. $600 skates. (i.e. X50s vs. X60s) Can most people actually fully utilize the upgrades from a pair of $600 skates? The answer once again really depends on the level of the player, their wealth and most importantly, how much they're buying into the the marketing of the companies. Most of those people won't benefit from that added benefit but will buy high-level gear because it makes them feel good.

Money is yours and do whatever you want with it that makes you feel happy. That's what really matters. IMO, that extra bit saved can be used to enroll in a course or some skills training classes that would probably benefit those players far more greatly than high-level gear. I am in the "noob" category but I also see a lot of players that do needlessly buy nice gear. It's part of the materialistic culture we have and cannot change.

Last edited by goonx: 09-12-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old
09-13-2011, 08:32 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGNY87 View Post

Edit: found one article about it, IK there was another

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...?urn=nhl-wp380
If I remember correctly, I heard years ago Crosby did this in his later years with Sherwood. He was using Reebok sticks custom painted by Sherwood.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Fred89

@goonx: i've seen them on HM while looking for new skates but as far as i live in Italy and skates in EU are a lot more expensive (and i've to buy also the whole equipment so i need to save money if possible while using dollars/euro ratio ), i need a skates that comes with Free shipping to Consegnato.com and then let them forward me the skate..

I've only had Supremes that fitted my feet really nice, especially in the heel!

I've a quite normal foot except for a little "narrower" heel, but i've found Vapor to be a little bit too narrow in the forefoot..

Anyway, thank you for the hint, much appreciated

Fred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Unless you're talking about a previous year's top-end model that you're picking up at a discounted price, you won't find a skate in the $300 range that I would buy and it has nothing to do with being a "noob" and everything to do with the fact that I could go through 2-3 pairs of $300 skates in the same length of time that one $600 pair would last me, and not have to go through the break-in periods.
Doubtful. Very doubtful actually. I play at a pretty high level, in men's league, just as you do. I've watched guys that skate just as much as me, at the same level as me, go through two pairs of "top of the line" skates in the time I had my middle of the road skates. It's a crap shoot. Paying $600 for skates gives you ZERO guarantee they will last longer than a $300 skate. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. Bottom line is, all this crap is made in China now. You just have to hope you get one of the better put together pairs.... The price really has nothing to do with it, as they all share the same factories and assembly techniques. Where that $300 skate fails, is likely the same place the $600 skate fails. Case in point, Vapor models from a few years ago. I had the Vapor XXV model. My buddy had the Vapor XXXX model. Both failed in the exact same spot. The thread that hold the toe caps onto the boot. Once they wore out, both skates had the exact same failure, and neither lasted any longer than the other. Why? Because they both shared the same cheap assembly method of sewing the plastic toe caps onto the skate, without an efficient means to hold the toe on once those threads wore through.

The newer models are no different. Take a look at them, and how they are put together. There's really no difference at all.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:38 AM
goonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred89 View Post
@goonx: i've seen them on HM while looking for new skates but as far as i live in Italy and skates in EU are a lot more expensive (and i've to buy also the whole equipment so i need to save money if possible while using dollars/euro ratio ), i need a skates that comes with Free shipping to Consegnato.com and then let them forward me the skate..

I've only had Supremes that fitted my feet really nice, especially in the heel!

I've a quite normal foot except for a little "narrower" heel, but i've found Vapor to be a little bit too narrow in the forefoot..

Anyway, thank you for the hint, much appreciated
The shipping isn't too bad, it's $15.00 for it to get shipped to Consegnato. It's around the same price as the One70s if you get free shipping elsewhere

Old
09-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne0107 View Post
Ovie would NEVER take a Warrior endorsement. Warrior can't pay like Bauer or even CCM can and is a grassroots movement, which puts Ovie out of the spotlight.

No publicity = no Ovie
No money = no Ovie

Bauer = $$$ + Publicity
I don't believe that any part of it I think he is more concerned about finding the best performing product on the market. There are a lot of Great Players using Warrior Products I bet 35% of the league is wearing the Franchise Gloves. They have Kovy and grabbed Zetterberg from Easton they have some pretty big names I think Lidstrom usees there gloves.

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote