HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

leafs rookies beat chicago rookies 4 to 2

Old
09-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

vCash: 500
Blacker stands out everytime, Gardiner i didnt notice until the 3rd really. He has some crazy wheels though

Blacker and Gardiner will be taking a spot on leafs next year for sure, not this year.

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
I think Sparks was pretty weak sauce. He's very slow in his side to side movement, looked like Giguere out there tonight. Atleast thats the impression I got.

Im still surprised Olden played as well as he did. He blew me away with his skill. But you could clearly tell he thought he had more ice than he really did.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Gardiner didnt have a standout preformance until the third. Played well though

Olden really impressed me. Looks to have gained some weight, has great speed and is always lurking. Its quite clear hes not used to NA ice becuase he kept cutting VERY wide around defenders thinking he had alot more space, only to find himself in the corner. He'll adjust Im sure, but played a great game none the less.

Frattin was pretty good. Was playing with some pretty weak players in Broll and Heard, both were not very good.

Percy was terribad. I mean, he was just awful.

All our tryout players were awful. All making stupid plays.

However, its just the first game. Im sure alot of these players had nerves and they got the better of them.

I was at the game, and Pecy wasnt terrible. Looks like he is exactly what scouts have told us...smart defenceman who reads the game well and good passer. The 3 tryout blueliners looked well out of there depth tonight, and this hurt the other blueliners, IMO. In fact, Gardiner was poor until the end of the 3rd, where he stole the show. Him and Blacker have a tone of potential and should make the Marlies fun to watch this year.

Just some thoughts on players:

Owuya - very solid. Looked big and mobile.

Frattin - skated hard but didnt do much

McKegg - Didnt do much, but didnt really have much in terms of quality linemates

Devane - Good night. Skating has improved. Played on the penalty kill, won a fight,a nd scored.

Ryan - Scored nice goal. Hard worker who looks a future shutdown, checking type of forward.

Nicholls - good skater who looks to have gained some size. Didnt create much, but works hard and is another potential defensive type winger.

Leivo - Quietly effective. Skates well and doest little things well.

Olden - Looks a bit bigger. Good skater with long reach and actually plays with a bit of an edge. Really looking forward to see how he does in the OHL.

Sparks - Looked shaky at first, but sort of settled down and played a bit better as game wore on.

Didnt really pay as much attention to Chicago, but Brandon Saad had a good game for them. Mark McNeil didnt to anything and was on the receiving end of a couple of good hits. DiDomenico scored for the Hawks and was one of their better forwards.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:53 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I wonder if Sparks has ever had a decent goaltending coach. No offence to the OHL guys.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:53 AM
crediblepest
Bern-YAY!

Gardiner, Ryan, Ross, and Percy all stood out for me in positive ways.

crediblepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:55 AM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
I wonder if Sparks has ever had a decent goaltending coach. No offence to the OHL guys.
The guy played only 19 games at the OHL level for a bottom feeder team. He's a project, relax.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:08 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
Sorry, not impressed, and yapping isn't that big a contribution to a team.

PS. If yapping really mattered, a lot of HF posters would be in the NHL! :-)
Not sure if he actually did but Ross may as well have had an assist on Devane's 1st goal. I thought he played well, nothing too striking but a pest who'll chip in from time to time.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:24 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
The guy played only 19 games at the OHL level for a bottom feeder team. He's a project, relax.
I think you completely took my post the wrong way. My point was, he's a young kid with a ways a long ways to go.

So you can shove your "relax" in a sack, with all your "sorries".

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:33 AM
MrPiff17
Bay St. Bullies

I saw an 'A' on Gardiners jersey, does anyone know who wore the other 'A' and the 'C' for the rooks?

MrPiff17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:44 AM
The K Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiff17 View Post
I saw an 'A' on Gardiners jersey, does anyone know who wore the other 'A' and the 'C' for the rooks?
Frattin had an A and I can't remember who had the other A, either Ryan or Blacker had it I believe, but nobody wore a C.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:44 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
blacker and frattin i think.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:14 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Doakes View Post
Sparks - Looked shaky at first, but sort of settled down and played a bit better as game wore on.

That doesn't surprise me. Coming in cold like that is difficult for any goaltender. I think it was very good that the early goal on him didn't rattle him and he settled down and got the W.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:09 AM
MaximAmirian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsGuru View Post
ok, Thanks. I hope Owuya will be playing the whole game. I really like Gardiner. I hope he makes camp next year.
Just because Sparks didn't have the best game?

I like this goalie swapping that's going on. Gives both players the experience they need.

MaximAmirian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 04:49 AM
winther88

Boxscores

Do you guys know where I can find boxscores from the games in Oshawa?

winther88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 04:56 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther88 View Post
Do you guys know where I can find boxscores from the games in Oshawa?
best bet would be to check the respective team's website

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 05:00 AM
winther88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
best bet would be to check the respective team's website
I've already done that and none of the four teams have any boxscores.

winther88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 05:19 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther88 View Post
I've already done that and none of the four teams have any boxscores.
wow that's surprising, sorry bud cant help you out then just looked no luck.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 07:50 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

The game in six was a little disappointing for me. I don't want to see 3 fights, I want to see highlights of the prospects playing hockey. On the fighting, Jamie Devane shouldn't split a fight with a 5'11" opponent, that ain't the stuff of a future NHL heavyweight although there may be hope for him as a hockey player not just a fighter. The more mature Gardiner should stand out in this game and he did.

On a side note, it doesn't matter for the Leafs but I'm rooting for Chris DiDomenico to succeed. He's trying to do the near-impossible by coming back from that awful compound leg fracture. Like Gardiner, he should stand out in this tourney due to his age and experience.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:14 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Only watched the 3rd. period, but I thought goaltending was the difference.

Gardiner skates well, backed the defenders in, and shot the puck for his 1st. goal kind of weak but if you don't shoot you don't score.

Ryan's goal was nice shot, but he had quite a bit of room ... goaltender positioning.

It appeared at times the Leafs defenders were their own worst enemy, not moving the puck when they had the chance, making poor decisions on who to pass to, just not being strong with the puck.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Darylman

I don't see anything wrong with the goaltender's positioning on Kenny Ryan's goal. That was pure snipe and would go in on virtually all NHL goaltenders. It was Blackhawk D on that goal to blame, not their goalie. The other goals are debatable for sure.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Frattin and Blacker had the other "A"s.

09-11-2011, 09:29 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
The game in six was a little disappointing for me. I don't want to see 3 fights, I want to see highlights of the prospects playing hockey. On the fighting, Jamie Devane shouldn't split a fight with a 5'11" opponent, that ain't the stuff of a future NHL heavyweight although there may be hope for him as a hockey player not just a fighter. The more mature Gardiner should stand out in this game and he did.

On a side note, it doesn't matter for the Leafs but I'm rooting for Chris DiDomenico to succeed. He's trying to do the near-impossible by coming back from that awful compound leg fracture. Like Gardiner, he should stand out in this tourney due to his age and experience.
Some of the toughest guys to play in the NHL were under 6 feet. Domi is 5'8" max so I'm not sure of your point. The giraffe isn't the toughest animal in the jungle.

That said Devane is still very young and NHL enforcers do not come into the NHL as teens. There will be a few more years of seasoning and filling out before Devane is even considered for NHL duty.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
The game in six was a little disappointing for me. I don't want to see 3 fights, I want to see highlights of the prospects playing hockey.
No doubt. The Devane fight took up the first minute and half, and by the end more than half of the 6 minutes were of fights that weren't even really entertaining fights. I was very annoyed.

Bah well. I'm going to tonight's game.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:44 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Devane didn't split, that was an outright win. He actually stopped throwing after he nailed him with an uppercut and Shaw's legs buckled.

Tough kids taking those shots.

Old
09-11-2011, 09:45 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
I don't see anything wrong with the goaltender's positioning on Kenny Ryan's goal. That was pure snipe and would go in on virtually all NHL goaltenders. It was Blackhawk D on that goal to blame, not their goalie. The other goals are debatable for sure.
Camera doesn't show the space the puck had on Ryan's shot. It was a good shot, but I think it had an odour.