HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dive Dive Dive!

Old
09-11-2011, 01:12 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

vCash: 500
If we're last place again, I think i'm done with Oilers hockey. No team has ever had three straight 30th overall positions.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:13 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
If we're last place again, I think i'm done with Oilers hockey. No team has ever had three straight 30th overall positions.
Well the 30 league team has been a round a while only. I'm sure the Nordiques must have been last for quite a while though.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:32 AM
oilWILDcountry

**** lottery picks we need to aim for the playoffs.

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:43 AM
tiger_80

The Oilers should not be aiming to finish in the bottom 5. But let's face it. This team is not yet a play-off caliber. Look no further than the defense and center position.

Arguably one top pairing defenseman in Whitney, one top 4 defenseman in Gilbert, 2 bottom pairing guys in Smid and Peckham and unknown commodities in Barker and Sutton, both of whom might barely be NHL caliber players at this time.

At center we have no No.1 guy, an extremely underwhelming 2C in Gagner and a pair of veteran 3C in Horcoff and Belanger, which is better than last year, but still probably one of the weaker group of centers in the entire league.

The team will still bleed goals against, no doubt about it. And if a couple key players go down for an extended stretch, the Oilers will be a lottery team again.

Nail Yakupov may seem like a big stretch now, but so did RNH this time around last year.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:26 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Heh, a certain section of posters will undoubtebly be touting the 2013 draft class next August/September. It's never-ending.
It's like they have been brainwashed. The way some people post around here, it's almost like they think losing is the same as winning.

I don't want to lose forever.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:29 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
The Oilers should not be aiming to finish in the bottom 5. But let's face it. This team is not yet a play-off caliber. Look no further than the defense and center position.

Arguably one top pairing defenseman in Whitney, one top 4 defenseman in Gilbert, 2 bottom pairing guys in Smid and Peckham and unknown commodities in Barker and Sutton, both of whom might barely be NHL caliber players at this time.

At center we have no No.1 guy, an extremely underwhelming 2C in Gagner and a pair of veteran 3C in Horcoff and Belanger, which is better than last year, but still probably one of the weaker group of centers in the entire league.

The team will still bleed goals against, no doubt about it. And if a couple key players go down for an extended stretch, the Oilers will be a lottery team again.

Nail Yakupov may seem like a big stretch now, but so did RNH this time around last year.
I disagree, IMO we had a better shot at #1 last year than we will this year. That said who knows what injuries may/will hit this year?

09-11-2011, 02:31 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
It's like they have been brainwashed. The way some people post around here, it's almost like they think losing is the same as winning.

I don't want to lose forever.
I don't want the Oilers to be mediocre forever, which they have been since the mid 90's with the exception of the '05-06 playoffs and the last 2 seasons.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:32 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I don't want the Oilers to be mediocre forever, which they have been since the mid 90's with the exception of the '05-06 playoffs and the last 2 seasons.
There is a difference between not wanting the Oilers to be mediocre and wanting the Oilers to come in last place every year until the end of eternity.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:05 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
There is a difference between not wanting the Oilers to be mediocre and wanting the Oilers to come in last place every year until the end of eternity.
And when have you seen anyone saying that they want the Oilers to suck indefinitely? I've said that I would like to see one last top 5-10 pick to add one more potentially elite talent to the fold, then it's all uphill from there, who has said that we need to be last for the next 3 years even?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 04:01 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I disagree, IMO we had a better shot at #1 last year than we will this year. That said who knows what injuries may/will hit this year?
Debatable. But hopefully you are right. Smyth, Belanger, Eager, Sutton are potentially useful additions. The problem is the Oilers were so bad last year, that it will take a healthy season from key players and break-out seasons from at least a couple of youngsters just to get out of the basement.
IMHO, the Oilers won't see any play-off action until they weed out all the passengers incapable of playing the regular shift against other teams top players. That can be either through the process of natural progression or through trade/waiver wire.

Tambellini have made a good start this off-season dumping Fraser, Foster, MacIntire, and Cogliano. Hopefully, next season the list of passengers does not include Brule, Gagner and Omark. If they do not break out, this year should be their last season as Oilers.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 04:14 AM
BrinkOfGreatness*

When I seen this title I thought we were getting a text of Gillis telling AV to yell this at the players

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 06:38 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Hard to blame fans for being brainwashed (and I totally agree with you that they are) when the captain of the team gives public interviews like this one he gave Tencer in response to Feaster's comments .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"I dunno if that's what I read .

I mean I think he (Feaster) says there's teams in the league that have done that .... that have finished in the bottom five .... and there are . There is plenty that have had top picks before and are in the same spot that they were ten years ago .

You know we talked about that especially , maybe not last year , this year , but more so last year after we finished first about bringing the young guys in and making sure as veteran players we did everything they could to get them to get to that next level and be better players because we ....

It is , its the truth , there are teams that have finished a lot lower than us for a lot more years than us and picked a lot higher than we have in consecutive years and still are no better than where they were ummm years before that , so ...

Its a true statement and its going to have to be up to us , the players in the locker room to make sure that doesn't come true for Edmonton ."

------------------------------------------------------

Clearly Horcoff is in denial . He refers to the teams last place finish as "finishing first" . That's not just semantics , this whole interview was disgusting in the way Horcoff and Tencer tried to make it look like the Oilers were not guilty of flat out sucking for draft picks .

What teams ("plenty of them" according to Horc) finished "a lot" worse than 30th and drafted "a lot" higher than first over all for "a lot" more consecutive seasons than this bumbling group of incompetents AND are still no better off than they were ?

This guy needs to turn in the C . What a joke .

Interview transcribed word for word from Tencers Sept 5th interview with Horc and Smyth .

http://www.630ched.com/insidesports/episodes.aspx

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 06:47 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Shame on all of you for promoting this idea, it's really disgusting. You call yourself fans?

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 06:55 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Shame on all of you for promoting this idea, it's really disgusting. You call yourself fans?
Not only that , they call themselves intelligent fans who know the "correct" way to build a winning team .

Old
09-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Yanner39

Some fans cheer more for Oilers' prospects and draft picks, than the actual team. Sad really. Hypothetically, the Oilers draft 1st in 2012, these same "fans" will want then to tank again to get the 2013 pick. It never ends.

People need to realize that there is more than one way to build a good team. Drafting is just one of the pieces.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Fourier

Given that some of the bottom 6-10 teams have improved this summer it is not impossible to imagine that this team could add 16-20 points and still be in a lottery position. Personally I have no problem with this. To me the goal is to be a longterm contender and the time frame to get their is still a fewer years out.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Not only that , they call themselves intelligent fans who know the "correct" way to build a winning team .
I have asked before but will ask again. Given the roster that the Oilers ended up with at the end of 2009-2010, what would you realistically have done different that would have put the team out of the lottery. Who are the vets they could have signed that would have made a 20 point difference in where they ended up?

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 07:56 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I have asked before but will ask again. Given the roster that the Oilers ended up with at the end of 2009-2010, what would you realistically have done different that would have put the team out of the lottery. Who are the vets they could have signed that would have made a 20 point difference in where they ended up?
Sigh . I already did this dance with iatl and I know you saw those exchanges . But OK here we go again ....

I am not an NHL GM . I don't have all day to spend perusing the waiver wires and the rosters of the European/college leagues and trying to engineer trades to help the team . That's Tamby's job .

I think its a weak comeback on your part to throw the onus on me to build a playoff team . Tamby gets paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do that , why should I waste my time doing it for free ? So you can pick apart my suggestions ?

The real problem is not the water that's already under the bridge , its the upcoming season and how Tamby is still trying to sell us on a motley crew of second and third chancers , over the hill veterans and a bunch of lotto pick rookies . In this very thread a poster has shown how paper thin our defense is again yet Tamby says he's not going to sign another veteran guy because he's "comfortable" with one of Petry , Chorney or Teubert stepping up .

So no Fourier , its not up to me to show you how to make a playoff team . Its up to Tamby to show the loyal fans in Edmonton that he's up to the job he was hired to do instead of blowing a bunch of smoke up our butts with lame documentaries that showcase his lotto picks and sending out the captain to explain to us how we "finished first" .

Old
09-11-2011, 08:40 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
No team has had the pleasure of having Tambellini as the General Manager, though.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:53 AM
MPStoEberletoHall

I expect the oilers to end up with a 5-8 pick. They will still be able to grab a great Defenceman in Reinhart, Ebert or Dumba

MPStoEberletoHall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:25 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

I think we definitely need to come in 30th again this year to get Yakupov. Also, we need to finish 30th the following season to grab Mackinnon and also maybe trade Hall and maybe the Nuge to get the 2 and 3 spot so we can draft Forsberg and Lazar. Then, obviously, we'd need to finish last the following year to grab Patrik Koys. Luc Deschênes needs to be an Oiler, so we'll also need a last place finish in 2017 ... ETCETERAS.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:26 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Winners don't want to lose! /Thread

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Game 8

I don't think wanting to make sure we have enough good players to start winning makes you any less of a fan! We still have some glaring holes to fill, so lets do this right! Second line C #1D etc. etc.

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Wheatking

It sounds like the top 10 in 2012 is pretty strong. If there was ever a year to take a step or two forward, this is it. A 5-10 pick should still give us a very promising prospect.

...and I also thought this was going to be a thread about the Canucks.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:03 PM
schatc

Boo to losing. The Oilers should be more focused on being a playoff team than a lottery team. As for the 2012 pick, they should try to parlay it into a top d-man through a trade. Bogo anyone?

schatc is offline   Reply With Quote