HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nassau Coliseum Visitor FAQ

Old
07-07-2011, 12:08 PM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
1. It will probably be easier to find flights going into JFK or laguardia but there is also MacArthur. They are all about 40 mins away from coliseum give or take.

2. Walking distance? You've got the Marriott literally 50 feet away not sure about pricing. There are other hotels in the area but none really in walking distance for example Rockville centre has holiday inn best western and another one I can't think of right now and it's a 15 minute drive from coliseum.

3. Your best bet for cheaper tickets on good seats is stub hub. It's where I get all my tickets and there are well below face value for most games.

Hope this helps.
Thank you. I did check MaCarther last night and couldn't find crap for flights. I'm guessing a shuttle or a cab from any of these airports is going to be pretty pricey?

The marriot sounds good. If I book now, I could get a good price and I will save money on cabs anyways, so that is a great idea, no matter the price.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyNystromOwnsYou View Post
Thank you. I did check MaCarther last night and couldn't find crap for flights. I'm guessing a shuttle or a cab from any of these airports is going to be pretty pricey?

The marriot sounds good. If I book now, I could get a good price and I will save money on cabs anyways, so that is a great idea, no matter the price.
I could be wrong I havent done it in years but a cab from JFK to anywhere in Nassau is around 40$ if I remember correctly. MacArthurs not really a major airport compared to the others its way easier to fly into queens. You could check with the Marriott and see if they provide complimentary shuttle service like some hotels do.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:17 PM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Cool man, and thanks again. you just made my trip much easier to plan. If you're at any of those games I will buy you a beer.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyNystromOwnsYou View Post
Cool man, and thanks again. you just made my trip much easier to plan. If you're at any of those games I will buy you a beer.
Haha no problem enjoy man any other questions feel free to post.

Old
07-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Nelly

Public Transportation from Brooklyn to NVMC

Hello all,

Long time lurker, longer time - long distance Isles fan.

I'm making an East Coast hockey trip in October, hoping to see VAN vs PHA, and then NYR vs NYI.

During my stay in NY. I'll be at the Sheraton in Brooklyn, and would like to know the best way to take public transportation all the way to NVMC and back. What would be the cost?

Any help would be appreciated as the transit websites doesn't seem to be of much help.

Go Isles!!!!

PS: Also, if anyone knows the best way (train or bus?) to get from Philly to NY that would be a bonus.

Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly View Post
Hello all,

I'm making an East Coast hockey trip in October, hoping to see VAN vs PHA, and then NYR vs NYI.

During my stay in NY. I'll be at the Sheraton in Brooklyn, and would like to know the best way to take public transportation all the way to NVMC and back. What would be the cost?

Any help would be appreciated as the transit websites doesn't seem to be of much help.

Go Isles!!!!

PS: Also, if anyone knows the best way (train or bus?) to get from Philly to NY that would be a bonus.
I'm not all the familiar of the train/subway in Brooklyn but you'll have to take the Long Island Rail Road to the Mineola station and take a cab over to the coliseum. Shouldn't run you to much in terms of money.

As for getting to Philly there are bus lines that run back and forth but I don't know of the schedules there could be a chance you'd get stuck for a night in Philly if there are no buses returning that night. Your best bet would be to just rent a car for that day its a really easy hour and a half to two hour drive to Philly I've done it numerous times. That way there's 0% chance you get stuck there and you can actually get there early and check out some of the city on your own.

Hope this helps.

Old
07-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Renbarg

You could walk to LIRR station at Atlantic Ave from the Sheraton (like 15 minutes tops). Or if you have a lot of **** or are lazy there is a subway stop near the Sheraton (I believe DeKalb) and from there you can take the B to Atlantic Ave. The rest is as TT said above me.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Hello all,

Go Isles!!!!

The transit websites can help you if you know what train youre looking to get on before youre at them, theyll help you.

From Brooklyn to the NVMC is fairly simple. You want to take the LIRR from the Brooklyn Terminal at Atlantic Avenue/Pacific street to one of the Hempstead, Westbury or Mineola stations. I highly recommend the latter two stations instead of Hempstead. To get to the Atlantic Avenue terminal, you take one of I believe 10 subway lines that service it. The only Sheraton I know of in Brooklyn is about 3 or 4 stops on the subway from the Atlantic Avenue terminal. Its a very major terminal so if you ask someone at your hotel for subway directions there you will get easy help.

Once you get on the LIRR, you may have to transfer trains at Jamaica station. Its easy, you just walk to the train directly across the platform, and your conductor will instruct you if you have to switch trains or not. Once you get off at Westbury or Mineola, you will have to get a taxi to the Coliseum. It will be about a 5 minute ride, and cost about $5. Once the game ends, walk to the Mariott hotel in the Coliseum parking lot. There is a line of taxi cabs after every game outside their main entrance waiting for people coming from the Arena. Just do the opposite of the directions that got you here. The trip should take less than an hour each way from your hotel to the NVMC.

To go to Philadelphia (I did this last year for an Isles game) there are two train options from NYC. First thing you have to do is take a subway from your hotel to Penn Station/34th street. From there there are two train options to Philly. Amtrak will take you to 30th street station in about 90 minutes. Its an absolute breeze. Booking now will cost you about $35 each way. Booking later will run you between $70 and $100 so if you want to go Amtrak, BOOK NOW. You can also take the NJ transit from Penn Station to Trenton, and then SEPTA commuter rail from Trenton to 30th street station. The total cost is about $25 and it takes about 3 hours. TBH, it isnt worth it, book now and take Amtrak. Easier than both NJT and driving. Once you arrive in Philadelphia its about a 15 minute subway ride to the Arena. You take the blue line to city hall, transfer to the orange line, and take it all the way south to the arena.

If you tell me where your hotel is exactly, I can give you specific subway directions to both Atlantic Terminal for the NYI game, and Penn Station, for the PHI game.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 09:18 PM
letsgoisles89

Quote:
Hello all,

Go Isles!!!!

for the bus to philly, definitely use megabus: http://us.megabus.com

You can get a ticket between $1 and $5, (depending on the time you leave) the day of, or the day before the VAN-PHI match (wasn't sure when you wanted to leave). At that price, you might as well buy 2 seats so no one can sit next to you as well..

letsgoisles89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoisles89 View Post
for the bus to philly, definitely use megabus: http://us.megabus.com

You can get a ticket between $1 and $5, (depending on the time you leave) the day of, or the day before the VAN-PHI match (wasn't sure when you wanted to leave). At that price, you might as well buy 2 seats so no one can sit next to you as well..
Have you ever taken Megabus? Its russian roulette on wheels. The saying you get what you pay for never applied more. You know what you get for a 150 mile trip for a dollar? A bus that hardly ever leaves within an hour of the scheduled time, and a two hour trip that takes 5 hours. Not to mention that if a bus cant come, no replacement buses are sent. Yeah if you get the one in 7 buses that operate according to schedule its a steal. But using Megabus to get to an event with a scheduled start time is a definate NO. Use Megabus to go to your Aunt's christmas party that youd rather be 5 hours late to.

Old
07-27-2011, 02:33 PM
germanislandersfan
Rookie User

I`m sorry that I `m posting my question in a wrong thread but I couldn`t find a better one. I`m a big german islanders fan and I will visiting New York with some friends during christmas. Because of that we want to go to the match against the rangers in the madison square garden. My question is the following one: Is there any section where we can find a bigger group of islanders fans (we dont want to be the only islanders supporters in our section )? Than you for answering

germanislandersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanislandersfan View Post
I`m sorry that I `m posting my question in a wrong thread but I couldn`t find a better one. I`m a big german islanders fan and I will visiting New York with some friends during christmas. Because of that we want to go to the match against the rangers in the madison square garden. My question is the following one: Is there any section where we can find a bigger group of islanders fans (we dont want to be the only islanders supporters in our section )? Than you for answering
North America isnt really like europe where visitors have supporters sections. All Islanders fans at the game will have to buy their tickets in twos or fours or whatever it may be. Usually every section has a sprinkling of Islanders fans in it, you likely wont be the only Islanders fans in your section. I will be there for sure.

Old
07-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Nelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
The transit websites can help you if you know what train youre looking to get on before youre at them, theyll help you.

From Brooklyn to the NVMC is fairly simple. You want to take the LIRR from the Brooklyn Terminal at Atlantic Avenue/Pacific street to one of the Hempstead, Westbury or Mineola stations. I highly recommend the latter two stations instead of Hempstead. To get to the Atlantic Avenue terminal, you take one of I believe 10 subway lines that service it. The only Sheraton I know of in Brooklyn is about 3 or 4 stops on the subway from the Atlantic Avenue terminal. Its a very major terminal so if you ask someone at your hotel for subway directions there you will get easy help.

Once you get on the LIRR, you may have to transfer trains at Jamaica station. Its easy, you just walk to the train directly across the platform, and your conductor will instruct you if you have to switch trains or not. Once you get off at Westbury or Mineola, you will have to get a taxi to the Coliseum. It will be about a 5 minute ride, and cost about $5. Once the game ends, walk to the Mariott hotel in the Coliseum parking lot. There is a line of taxi cabs after every game outside their main entrance waiting for people coming from the Arena. Just do the opposite of the directions that got you here. The trip should take less than an hour each way from your hotel to the NVMC.

To go to Philadelphia (I did this last year for an Isles game) there are two train options from NYC. First thing you have to do is take a subway from your hotel to Penn Station/34th street. From there there are two train options to Philly. Amtrak will take you to 30th street station in about 90 minutes. Its an absolute breeze. Booking now will cost you about $35 each way. Booking later will run you between $70 and $100 so if you want to go Amtrak, BOOK NOW. You can also take the NJ transit from Penn Station to Trenton, and then SEPTA commuter rail from Trenton to 30th street station. The total cost is about $25 and it takes about 3 hours. TBH, it isnt worth it, book now and take Amtrak. Easier than both NJT and driving. Once you arrive in Philadelphia its about a 15 minute subway ride to the Arena. You take the blue line to city hall, transfer to the orange line, and take it all the way south to the arena.

If you tell me where your hotel is exactly, I can give you specific subway directions to both Atlantic Terminal for the NYI game, and Penn Station, for the PHI game.
First off I'd like to say thank you to: Turnpike / Renbarg / LetsgoIsles for your help

And to you Islander102 a BIG thank you for your very detailed reply.

I'm actually flying in to Philly - staying at the Sheraton Piladelphia Downtown Hotel (201 N 17th St), and will watch the VAN/PHA game on WED OCT12.

Me and my buddy have decided to take Amtrak (and will book now-as per your suggestion) on THU OCT13 to Penn St. (although the affordable Megabus suggestion was tempting). I will have to figure out how to get to the Sheraton Brooklyn hotel (228 Duffield Street) from Penn Station.

The NYR/NYI game I will see is SAT OCT15.

On the train ride from Atlantic Terminal to Mineola. Do I purchase 1 ticket that covers it? I'm looking at the zone fare website (which I don't quite understand). Is it a 4 zone ticket I need to purchase? Do I purchase from a teller or a machine?

On the commute back to the Sheraton Brooklyn hotel after the game. Do you recommend I take a cab back from the Atlantic Terminal to the hotel? I read on Trip Advisor that the hotel is in a dingy area. Or do I take the subway that has a stop close by?

A few more things... I buy almost all things Islanders. Do you recommend I go to the Westfield Sunrise Mall before the game, or does the team store booths at the arena pretty much carry the same stuff.

What time does the arena let people in, and what time do the players take warm up before puck drop? I want to take pics around the arena, and during warm-up.

Thanks a million!

Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Islander102

Quote:
First off I'd like to say thank you to: Turnpike / Renbarg / LetsgoIsles for your help

And to you Islander102 a BIG thank you for your very detailed reply.

I'm actually flying in to Philly - staying at the Sheraton Piladelphia Downtown Hotel (201 N 17th St), and will watch the VAN/PHA game on WED OCT12.

Me and my buddy have decided to take Amtrak (and will book now-as per your suggestion) on THU OCT13 to Penn St. (although the affordable Megabus suggestion was tempting). I will have to figure out how to get to the Sheraton Brooklyn hotel (228 Duffield Street) from Penn Station.

The NYR/NYI game I will see is SAT OCT15.

On the train ride from Atlantic Terminal to Mineola. Do I purchase 1 ticket that covers it? I'm looking at the zone fare website (which I don't quite understand). Is it a 4 zone ticket I need to purchase? Do I purchase from a teller or a machine?

On the commute back to the Sheraton Brooklyn hotel after the game. Do you recommend I take a cab back from the Atlantic Terminal to the hotel? I read on Trip Advisor that the hotel is in a dingy area. Or do I take the subway that has a stop close by?

A few more things... I buy almost all things Islanders. Do you recommend I go to the Westfield Sunrise Mall before the game, or does the team store booths at the arena pretty much carry the same stuff.

What time does the arena let people in, and what time do the players take warm up before puck drop? I want to take pics around the arena, and during warm-up.

Thanks a million!
- Getting to Sheraton from Penn Station. Take the A or the C train downtown from Penn Station to Jay Street. The hotel is like a block of a block and a half from there. To ride the subway, you have to buy a metrocard, which are available right outside the subway turnstiles.

-Getting to Atlantic Terminal from the Sheraton. Walk back to the Jay Street Station. Take the R train headed towards Bay Ridge two stops to Atlantic Avenue/Pacific Street. The LIRR Terminal there is in the same building, you dont even have to go outside.

-You may purchase a round trip, off peak hours ticket for the LIRR. You can do it either from a ticket machine or from the ticket windows. The ticket machines will be easy. You just select round trip ticket, Atlantic Yards to another station, it will ask you what other station, and you will select Mineola. They will punch your ticket on the train.

-When you arrive back there should be no problem taking the subway. The subway is one of the safest places to be in NYC at night (unless youre riding it through the south bronx or an awful neighborhood like that) because there are always enough riders, no matter the hour. Especially at what will likely be around 11PM, which is hardly late by NY standards. Just take the R train towards manhattan this time.

-The arena team store booths sell just about everything you can think of, but its pricey. Getting to the malls without a car of your own is a trek. Best thing would be to order your stuff online and have it before the trip. Maybe get something small from the NVMC as a souvenir from your trip.

-Nassau Coliseum opens up at 6pm. Warmups begin at 6:30 pm. The best spot to watch the Islanders warm up is down by the glass in sections 101 or 102. They let everyone down by the glass for warmup.

Old
07-28-2011, 06:08 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Since we're on the topic of getting to the Coliseum from Brooklyn, I just thought I'd ask a question. After taking the LIRR to one of those stops mentioned, is it doable to walk to the Coliseum from the stations? I'm not one that minds walking and will do whatever to save money considering I'm only 18

I appreciate all you guys writing out the detailed directions, makes my life a lot easier for when I wanna go out there.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Since we're on the topic of getting to the Coliseum from Brooklyn, I just thought I'd ask a question. After taking the LIRR to one of those stops mentioned, is it doable to walk to the Coliseum from the stations? I'm not one that minds walking and will do whatever to save money considering I'm only 18

I appreciate all you guys writing out the detailed directions, makes my life a lot easier for when I wanna go out there.
None of the stations are within walking distance but you can take a bus from the Hempstead station (N70, N71 or N72) for just a MetroCard swipe instead of cab fare.

Old
07-29-2011, 11:16 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
None of the stations are within walking distance but you can take a bus from the Hempstead station (N70, N71 or N72) for just a MetroCard swipe instead of cab fare.
Might work out better since I'll already have a transfer from taking the subway to Atlantic. Thanks for the help

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 12:58 PM
OnTheFence

Hi, I'm making an east coast trip out to New York to catch a couple games in the area. I was checking out tickets on StubHub and saw some in the 100 sections row A and then row AA. Which ones are the glass seats? And are tickets really that cheap?

Edit: Also, what does the 'x' mean after a section? Like 118x

Last edited by OnTheFence: 08-18-2011 at 02:37 PM.
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Fruitbasket
I make crap posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Hi, I'm making an east coast trip out to New York to catch a couple games in the area. I was checking out tickets on StubHub and saw some in the 100 sections row A and then row AA. Which ones are the glass seats? And are tickets really that cheap?

Edit: Also, what does the 'x' mean after a section? Like 118x
I believe that the AA tickets are the glass seats. And yes the tickets are really that cheap.. on stub hub. Now the x after the section I have no idea what that one means.. I have sat in some of the x sections and the only thing I notice is that they are smaller then the "father section" (for 118x it would be 118)

Well, hope you have some fun at the games!

Fruitbasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 09:37 PM
MorrisWanchuk

hi guys. i want to get tickets for the isles-rangers game. i have a couple of q's.

1. is the view from the 300s that much worse than the 200s, or are they not that different

2. are there any sections that are considered to be 'hardcore' islanders fan areas and should be avoided by rangers fans?

thanks guys. have a great season.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 09:57 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
hi guys. i want to get tickets for the isles-rangers game. i have a couple of q's.

1. is the view from the 300s that much worse than the 200s, or are they not that different

2. are there any sections that are considered to be 'hardcore' islanders fan areas and should be avoided by rangers fans?

thanks guys. have a great season.
The 300's are fine, but the last 3 or 4 rows sit behind the roof's overhang rim in some sections and restricts view of the scoreboard. Also, Section 319 has a large overhang and restricted views of parts of the rink in the last few rows.

Islanders-Rangers games at the Coliseum have Islanders and Rangers fans commingled. No specific Islanders fan areas. Lots of fights between fans, although not as bad as in years past.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Islander102

The arena goes pretty much straight up with no suites inbetween the first and last row. The 200s are rows 11-22, and the 300's start right after that. The gap between the 200s and 300s is something like 8 feet tall. The difference is noticeable in that in the 200s you can still see players faces and hear them talk and all that, but the 300s are still very low as far as NHL arenas go. The only thing you want to stay away from up there is rows P-T because of the overhang like the above poster mentioned.

The only section you would want to avoid as a Ranger fan are 329 and 330 in the upper rows. Bunch of obnoxious ******* Islander fans up there. They are the same idiots that enjoy chanting USA whenever we play a canadian team. Other than that it will be a mix of fans from both teams. If you stay out of people's faces and keep the jeering back and forth in good fun, nobody gets into fights. Isles and Ranger fans have been coexisting at games for 40 years, it never gets out of hand if nobody is being a belligerent drunk tool.

Old
09-10-2011, 03:57 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
The arena goes pretty much straight up with no suites inbetween the first and last row. The 200s are rows 11-22, and the 300's start right after that. The gap between the 200s and 300s is something like 8 feet tall. The difference is noticeable in that in the 200s you can still see players faces and hear them talk and all that, but the 300s are still very low as far as NHL arenas go. The only thing you want to stay away from up there is rows P-T because of the overhang like the above poster mentioned.

The only section you would want to avoid as a Ranger fan are 329 and 330 in the upper rows. Bunch of obnoxious ******* Islander fans up there. They are the same idiots that enjoy chanting USA whenever we play a canadian team. Other than that it will be a mix of fans from both teams. If you stay out of people's faces and keep the jeering back and forth in good fun, nobody gets into fights. Isles and Ranger fans have been coexisting at games for 40 years, it never gets out of hand if nobody is being a belligerent drunk tool.

thanks guys. looking forward to hockey being back.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 07:07 AM
isleofmoscow

need your advice

hi, everybody
going to visit NYC late December 2011(for the first time). As I've been supporting the Islanders for about 30 years, one of the most important things for me in New York is to attend the Islanders game. I'm going to see the match against the Flames on DEC, 29.
Here in Russia we usually buy tickets just before the game at the stadium's ticket office. But I guess in this case it'll be better to buy a ticket beforehand through a website in order to avoid any failures and miss the game. Am I right? NHL official website gave me a link to /www.ticketmaster.com/. Is it ok to use this option? Is it reliable way to buy a ticket? The question might look rather dumb or naive, but I just have no experience in the matter.
Thanks a lot in advance.
P.S. Sorry for my poor English

isleofmoscow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleofmoscow View Post
hi, everybody
going to visit NYC late December 2011(for the first time). As I've been supporting the Islanders for about 30 years, one of the most important things for me in New York is to attend the Islanders game. I'm going to see the match against the Flames on DEC, 29.
Here in Russia we usually buy tickets just before the game at the stadium's ticket office. But I guess in this case it'll be better to buy a ticket beforehand through a website in order to avoid any failures and miss the game. Am I right? NHL official website gave me a link to /www.ticketmaster.com/. Is it ok to use this option? Is it reliable way to buy a ticket? The question might look rather dumb or naive, but I just have no experience in the matter.
Thanks a lot in advance.
P.S. Sorry for my poor English
Ticketmaster is reliable; stubhub.com is another option. But the chances of that game selling out are almost zero. You could probably find cheaper tickets in the parking lot. But if you really want tickets before the game I would use stubhub rather than ticketmaster.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote