Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL

Shawinigan Cataractes 2011-2012

Old
08-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Little Black
@LittleBlack87

vCash: 500
Shawinigan Cataractes 2011-2012

Since training camps around the league are underway I'm opening the official Shawinigan Cataractes thread for this season. Feel free to comment all season long. It's also a Memorial Year in Shawinigan.

Little Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Little Black
@LittleBlack87

I've seen some of the new players on the ice this week and I must say I was impressed with defenseman Nikita Kolesnikovs. At 6 foot 5 and 220 pounds he's using his body very well. He also seems to always be in a good position on the ice. Only the rookies were on the ice so we'll wait until preseason games to juge him.

Another player who played very well was Matt Bursey on offense. Not a big guy but he can control the puck. I see him more as a playmaker than a goal scorer. I'll post more comments about these players and others as the camp goes on.

Old
08-30-2011, 10:53 AM
herbst20

How is Peter Sakaris looking? I watched him in the USHL for 1.5 years in Cedar Rapids.

herbst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Little Black
@LittleBlack87

He played real nice since he arrived here scoring lots of goals and showing some real nice offensive skills. I'm looking for a big season for him. From what I heard he trained hard in the offseason and added some weight. It will do him good. How did he looked in the USHL the time he's been there?

Old
09-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Little Black
@LittleBlack87

Quick update. Cats played their opening weekend and got 1 loss againts Rouyn and a win against Val-D'or. They could have won friday's game if they would actually have played the entire game.

Habs prospect Michaël Bournival had 2 great games and should have a huge season. I've been impressed by russian rookie Nikolaï Kolesnikovs. At 6foot5 he's covering a lot of space in front of his net. He's always at the right place on the ice and even have some offense up his sleeves wich is sometimes surprising for taller guys like him. He doesn't have a canon shot but he always seems to hit the net with his shot and it gives him great opportunities.

Dale Deon is another player who caught my attention this weekend. He's an offensive defensemen and was great on the PPs. He makes me think of Ryan Kavanagh who's gone in Austria... I think his departure will not affect the team that much because some players can do the this job too.

Old
09-30-2011, 02:10 AM
Reynys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Black View Post
I've been impressed by russian rookie Nikolaï Kolesnikovs.
Nikita Kolesnikovs is latvian btw

Reynys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:06 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynys View Post
Most people will remember, when they see him at WJC this year.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynys View Post
well, technically he's Russian (by ethnicity) but born in Latvia and citizen of Latvia and plays for Team Latvia...

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 03:49 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
well, technically he's Russian (by ethnicity) but born in Latvia and citizen of Latvia and plays for Team Latvia...
Lafleur or Beliveau by ethnicity are French, but I think everyone considers them as Canadians

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:49 PM
drive45

Kirill Kabanov and general question about import rules?

What's going on with KK? B-B Armada has his rights, but because of Nikolaev, they would exceed their import limit if they put him on their roster, right?

So what are they going to do? Trade him to another Q team? Is there another Q team that is below the import limit? If not, then what?

But, when I look at the various Q websites, I see that Gat Oly, Rmski Ocnc, HFX M-Heads, StJ C-Dogs and Vd'O Frrs all have 2 imports

A-B Ttns has 3, and the Drum Volts, PEI Rckts, Q Rmprts, and V-Ville Tgrs all have 3 as well, with one US-born each (does that make a difference?)

Shwngn Cats have 4 with 2 US, while R-N Hsks have 4 with 2 French-born players (does that make a difference?)

and the Mnctn W-Cats have 5 imports, including 3 US

So it seems to me that B-B Armda actually has the fewest imports in the league. Does this mean that KK will play for them after all? Or what? And what are the rules about imports?

Last edited by drive45: 10-10-2011 at 06:19 PM.
drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Corgidequebec

I was wondering about kabanov myself. I heard he was off to Sweden and then that he was being traded to shawinigan. Can imports be traded outside the Q trade windows?

Corgidequebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

US born played don't count as Imports.
In the cases you mentioned, the players born in France actually are considered Quebec players.
Import players and overage players can be dealt outside of league trading periods.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:24 PM

I am wondering about Kabanov myself. I am not sure if he is in Boisbriand or not. I believe Bouchard is working on a deal but he could be off to Europe as well... we'll probably get an update this week.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Corgidequebec

Someone who was in the stands with him Saturday in long island said he was to leave for Sweden but that was cancelled and that there was a deal to shaw in the works

Corgidequebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:51 PM
drive45

stay in the Q, KK!

as an NYI fan, I would much rather see him stay in the Q than go to SEL. More ice time, NHL-size rink, just in general, better prep for NHL. I imagine SEL would pay more $, though, right? But isn't his family somewhat well-off?

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Bobcat88

If Kabanov goes to Shawinigan, he would get the chance to reunite with Michael Chaupt and/or Pier-Olivier Morin, both of whom centered him in Lewiston. Kabanov and Morin took off together, with Etienne Brodeur, as a regular line in the playoffs. Chaput and Kabanov, again with Brodeur, were featured as the top PP unit.

Bobcat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:07 AM

Yeah but Shawi isn't letting Zlobin go and they absolutely love Kolesnikovs over there. Plus they need D badly so I doubt they would pay the world for KK when Zlobin is gonna score 50+ this year...

Although yeah, Zlobin has been known to coast a little too much, and he has been a healthy scratch this year.

Old
10-11-2011, 02:31 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Yeah but Shawi isn't letting Zlobin go and they absolutely love Kolesnikovs over there. Plus they need D badly so I doubt they would pay the world for KK when Zlobin is gonna score 50+ this year...

Although yeah, Zlobin has been known to coast a little too much, and he has been a healthy scratch this year.
Are you sure hes been a healthy scratch? I know hes hurt right now...he has 11 goals in 11 games...i doubt he was a healthy scratch....

And about the OP's question....when KK gets sent to BB...they will have 2 weeks to make a decision on their euro situation once they add KK to their active roster....once they do that than they will need to release or trade one of Hertzberg or Nokleav.

And also the Q site lists birthplace...so some kids were born all across the world but the 2 French born players on Rouyn-Noranda were raised in Quebec...so they arent considered import players...

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Lucky Luke

Will Sherbrooke be getting the 1st overall pick in the 2012 CHL Import Draft?

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
Are you sure hes been a healthy scratch? I know hes hurt right now...he has 11 goals in 11 games...i doubt he was a healthy scratch....

And about the OP's question....when KK gets sent to BB...they will have 2 weeks to make a decision on their euro situation once they add KK to their active roster....once they do that than they will need to release or trade one of Hertzberg or Nokleav.

And also the Q site lists birthplace...so some kids were born all across the world but the 2 French born players on Rouyn-Noranda were raised in Quebec...so they arent considered import players...
Heard the Shawi announcers say something about Zlobin during the weekend. I'm pretty sure they were saying Veilleux wasn't happy with his play and decided to leave him in the press box.

Old
10-11-2011, 09:53 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Heard the Shawi announcers say something about Zlobin during the weekend. I'm pretty sure they were saying Veilleux wasn't happy with his play and decided to leave him in the press box.
This. I also heard that on radio when I went to Shawinigan on Sunday.

I wouldn't be surprised if Shawinigan decides to get rid of Zlobin and makes a trade with BLB for Kabanov.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:33 PM
BLBarmada

How old is Zlobin 17 ? We'll take him, even with all the improvements Shawi has made, they still can't touch SJ especially after the acquire Ouellet and/or Marcoux.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:43 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
How old is Zlobin 17 ? We'll take him, even with all the improvements Shawi has made, they still can't touch SJ especially after the acquire Ouellet and/or Marcoux.
Actually, Zlobin will turn 19 this season.

habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:48 AM

Zlobin is too old for our rebuild IMO. He'll be 20 years old when we're competitive again. Not many euro come back in the league as 20 years olds. Not worth it.

Old
10-12-2011, 11:43 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Hum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @hertzberg27
Taking a time out from hockey...
http://twitter.com/hertzberg27/statu...36930228183040

habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote