HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salo Worth?

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 06:53 PM
Oilhitch

vCash: 500
Salo Worth?

OK let me begin by saying that I have thought that Salo has been very disapointiing for the last couple of years. His salary is 3.9M this year and wil make 4.15M 04/05. I don't want to make this thread bout $$$$$ but is Salo woth this money?????? He is making a big percentage of the teams salary and IMO doesnt deserve it. I know that Conklin is not ready for full time action or is Valiquette ready. Is there a transaction that Lowe can make to move Salo for an NHL ready goalie? OK OK add Comrie in for a blockbuster.

What are the options?

Old
10-23-2003, 07:38 PM
camboy

Salo's worth? IMO not much. Too many games against Dallas and one bad goal in the Olympics have messed him up. Monkeys in the brain....me thinks.
Maybe we could dress him as a defencemen for a few games. That my help his GA a bit and thus look more attractive for a dead line trade.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:42 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I think too that he has played too many games against Dallas. To poor fella has had the entire teams hopes placed on his shoulders to beat a completely superior team - when he doesn't it's the "Salo can't win in the playoffs!" crap. Roy would have a losing record in the playoffs if he was playing for the Oilers against Dallas.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:47 PM
FacelessButcher

Apparently Skoula is not very well liked now what does everyone think of those two being involved in a deal between the two teams?

Old
10-23-2003, 08:37 PM
camboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Apparently Skoula is not very well liked now what does everyone think of those two being involved in a deal between the two teams?
Like what? We need a goaltender. Conks is very good but not it yet.

Thrashers:
Brewer
Horcoff

Oilers:
Nurminen( I know they'd rather trade Dafoe but...)
Exelby
then

Bruins: Salo

Oilers: Jilson
3rd round pick
then

Leafs: Comrie

Oilers: Antropov, 3rd round pick

Old
10-23-2003, 08:43 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy
Like what? We need a goaltender. Conks is very good but not it yet.

Thrashers:
Brewer
Horcoff
Oilers:
Nurminen( I know they'd rather trade Dafoe but...)
Exelby
then

Bruins: Salo
Oilers: Jilson
3rd round pick
then

Leafs: Comrie
Oilers: Antropov, 3rd round pick
I'd say Atlanta does not give up enough on the first we are getting over-payed on the second and third by a smidge.Bruins want Salo, Atlanta would probably want Comrie, and Leafs would definetly want Brewer.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Mizral

Most fans on these boards would not think Sean Burke is worth a 1st rounder - in fact, the Bruins didn't think he was, as the rumoured deal Phoenix offered them on draft day was Burke for the B's first, but they declined.

Burke's obviously a much better goaltender than Salo is.

First off, look at the buyers:

Bruins? Nope, Potvin/Raycroft is working out for them.

Rangers? Dunham hasn't been the problem, and got Maarkanen for the backup.

Carolina? Rutherford keeps saying Weekes is their man, and he moved Hurme for only a 4th.

Colorado? Sure, but would they want Salo? Seems like a sideways move with Aebischer there.

Those are the only teams that would be maybes, but I doubt any of them would want Salo.. nevermind Salo at $4 million bucks.

Unfortunatly, at this point, unless there is an injury in the near future, I don't think Salo would be taken off waivers for nothing...

Old
10-23-2003, 08:57 PM
camboy

Quote:
I'd say Atlanta does not give up enough on the first we are getting over-payed on the second and third by a smidge.Bruins want Salo, Atlanta would probably want Comrie, and Leafs would definetly want Brewer.
Atlanta doesn't need Comrie unless he plays RW....add a pick. Salo could resurrect his career in Boston....Lowe could sell it. If the Leafs want Brewer...they could make an offer to the Thrashers.

All said and done:

Smyth Antropov Hemsky
York Reasoner Dvorak
Moreau Stoll Pisani
Torres Chimera/Wright Laraque

Staios Exelby
Smith Jillson
Semenov Bergeron
Cross

Nurminen
Conklin

Old
10-23-2003, 09:03 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Atlanta doesn't need Comrie unless he plays RW....add a pick. Salo could resurrect his career in Boston....Lowe could sell it. If the Leafs want Brewer...they could make an offer to the Thrashers.

All said and done:

Smyth Antropov Hemsky
York Reasoner Dvorak
Moreau Stoll Pisani

Staios Exelby
Smith Jillson
Semenov Bergeron
Cross

Nurminen
Conklin
That team isn't as good I'd say.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:13 PM
camboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
That team isn't as good I'd say.
Compared to what? If you mean the Oilers with Weight, Carter, Niinimaa, Comrie, etc.....I agree. What the Oilers need is a semi-competative team to carry us into the new CBA. In other words, cheap.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:16 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Compared to what? If you mean the Oilers with Weight, Carter, Niinimaa, Comrie, etc.....I agree. What the Oilers need is a semi-competative team to carry us into the new CBA. In other words, cheap.
did u forget Isbister or leave him out on purpose and I also say it does not look as good as our current team.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:21 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
What the Oilers need is a team that's better on the ice than it is now. And let's not forget, we're already the youngest team out there, we don't need to get younger. Keep moving forward so we're in a position to surprise this year, and contend in the next 2-3. We have the resources, we can afford it, we have the elements, so make it happen. The lineup i posted in the "if you were Lowe..." thread addresses our current problem much better IMO. And I didn't even trade Brew or Salo yet, if I did, I could make the team even better.

In that lineup, our low-line depth has been sacrificed, our defence is even younger and more questionable (Garnet Exelby is not a superstar folks) and we STILL don't have top-end forward talent.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:31 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
What the Oilers need is a team that's better on the ice than it is now. And let's not forget, we're already the youngest team out there, we don't need to get younger. Keep moving forward so we're in a position to surprise this year, and contend in the next 2-3. We have the resources, we can afford it, we have the elements, so make it happen. The lineup i posted in the "if you were Lowe..." thread addresses our current problem much better IMO. And I didn't even trade Brew or Salo yet, if I did, I could make the team even better.

In that lineup, our low-line depth has been sacrificed, our defence is even younger and more questionable (Garnet Exelby is not a superstar folks) and we STILL don't have top-end forward talent.
I would not mind a young goalie we just need the experience to come from somewhere else like a veteran 3 line rw or a vet 2nd line center(Ronning?Brindy?Oates? rather keep young and fast but they are all decent options). I swear to god Dandenault would help us a lot and he is a good utility player can play 3rd or 4th line or 3rd d-pairing and we could pick him up for as little as a low pick.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:42 PM
camboy

Quote:

You're points are good...I agree with your vision of our Beloved Oilers, however I like the upside of my proposal. Nurminen is a quality netminder who could man our pipes(low $) until JDD is ready. Antropov could be the big talented centre we NEED as MAP develops. You are right....Exelby is not a superstar, but neither is Brewer! Jillson certainly helps our D....I think he would be excellent in Oiler blue. Horcoff IMO is over rated. Rita, Stoll, and Salmo need to play.
Just trying to help.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:57 PM
camboy

Quote:
did u forget Isbister or leave him out on purpose and I also say it does not look as good as our current team.
Yea I forgot Isbister. Wonder how that could happen?? Sorry I 'll be better next time.

Old
10-24-2003, 10:48 AM
Master Lok

Quote:

All said and done:

Smyth Antropov Hemsky
York Reasoner Dvorak
Moreau Stoll Pisani

Staios Exelby
Smith Jillson
Semenov Bergeron
Cross

Nurminen
Conklin
Disagree. Not an improvement.

Antropov is UNPROVEN as a 1st line centre. he plays mostly 2nd line in Toronto with many proven veterans around him. He also has a history of injuries. Antropov as the #1 center is a risky proposal. Who knows, maybe in 2 years time? Maybe... a BIG maybe. If he gets injured again, then boom, we're back without a #1.

Exelby for Brewer? Again, you're hoping for the best. Exelby is also too UNPROVEN. He's a defensive defenseman. He could anywhere from Adam Foote (great!) to Luke Richardson (oh crap). You expect some 22 yo rookie supposed to be anchoring our #1 d line? Forget it.

Jillson is not bad, at least he's played in the NHL for a couple of years and would help our depth on Defense.

And Nurminen as the #1 netminder? Last year was the first year he's played as a legitimate #1 goalie. His GAA was 2.88 ranking him 49th of 65 goalies according to NHLPA. By comparison, everyone agrees that Tommy had a poor year last year. His GAA was 2.71 ranking him 40th. Its quite a big risk to throw all your eggs at Nurminen. Maybe if our backup netminder was a more proven netminder like Legace, or Tugnutt but the goaltending would be a huge risk with a one-year #1 goalie and a rookie backup.

This team would be very unlikely to make the playoffs this year and I'm not convinced that this team would be an improvement longterm either.

Closed Thread