HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help

Old
09-11-2011, 11:13 AM
eXplosivecamel

vCash: 500
Help

Okay, so I'm 15 years old, I started playing hockey for the first time in Bantam last year, and I think I did alright, I wasn't the worst player out there but I definitely wasn't the best. Last night, I had my first skate back on the ice in the Midget division, and I'm really having trouble with pretty much everything. I was never taught to shoot, I rarely can lift the puck, I have decent speed but I was last in pretty much every drill. I have an option to either stay in the Midget divison or join a rec league with no hitting. What does everything think I should do?

eXplosivecamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:47 PM
BLBarmada

Go play rec, work on your balance, skating, stickhandling and start working out.

Strengthen your core, shoulders, and wrists.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:55 PM
beth

Play where you think you'll have the most fun. Whether that's on a team where you'll enjoy pushing yourself to keep up, or on a team where you can relax a bit and just have some laughs with friends while playing hockey is really up to you. But choose fun over being stressed, bored or miserable because you picked a team that you thought you should be on rather than the one you wanted to be on.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:20 PM
eXplosivecamel

Thanks for the replies ^

Rec was where I was leaning towards actually. I want to be able to have fun and just play hockey instead of having pressure on me every shift.

eXplosivecamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:52 PM
shello
@WShello9

If shooting is a problem you should buy a shooting pad and just shoot outside. Hockeyshot.com has some I believe but you can buy one at any store.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:19 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXplosivecamel View Post
Thanks for the replies ^

Rec was where I was leaning towards actually. I want to be able to have fun and just play hockey instead of having pressure on me every shift.
Well, there you go! Have a great time!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Ani simov mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXplosivecamel View Post
Thanks for the replies ^

You'll never learn without that pressure.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:19 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani simov mal View Post
You'll never learn without that pressure.
This is so true. There will be no one to point out your mistakes from and no way you can learn from them.

Shooting isn't the most important skill, you NEED to skate well before everything else. How many shots (forget the proper windup ones) can you get in a game, especially if you can't skate??

I was in your exact position a few years ago in Minor Midget. Work on your skating dude.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:06 PM
mhkehoe

Go play a rec league, there are still plenty of leagues that are going to be competitive for you and push you, but you will have time to work on the basics a bit more.

Also, I found that my shot improved significantly after entering my 20s. It still isn't a rocket at 26, but my teens taught me to use my backhand pretty effectively.

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote