HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Making your own surface for stickhandling with a puck.. thoughts?

Old
09-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Saved*

vCash: 500
Making your own surface for stickhandling with a puck.. thoughts?

So I've been thinking of making my own 'tape to tape' type system, a 4x8 platform or something. Not sure what surface would be best to simulate 'simulated ice'.

I was thinking Acrylic may work, not sure though.

Anyone have any ideas? I know there was threads about this before but I searched and can't find anything, must not be using the right words.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Saved*

HDPE (High Density Polystyrene) is something I've heard being used. Anyone used it? And how expensive?

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 04:27 PM
flyers10

Check out hockeyshot.com for pre-made units. They have a 4x8 sheet with or without puck rebounder that works well. They also have a big 4.5x10 sheet for stickhandling/shooting. Some have made their own with a Thrifty white board (lowes) and some basic bungee cords.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 04:27 PM
ponder

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=25164228
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=778403

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 04:28 PM
mbeam

I just used an acrylic light fixture cover and sprayed it with silicon spray. The problem was that it's quite delicate and chipped easy but I can still use it. Some sort of thicker acrylic surface with silicon spray is what I'd suggest. Or a white board with silicon spray, as mentioned.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 04:29 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post
HDPE (High Density Polystyrene) is something I've heard being used. Anyone used it? And how expensive?
It's very expensive, generally not much cheaper at all than the pre-made boards. The thrifty whiteboards discussed in these threads are much cheaper though.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 04:47 PM
customradius

you're going to think I'm nuts, but I had a piece of old wall paneling laying around. I sprayed it with pledge and it works just fine for a shooting mat. Cost was $0. Stickhandling is "OK" with a regular puck, but a green biscuit or stickhandling ball works great. Anyway, see what you or someone else has laying around.

customradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 05:01 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Thrifty whiteboard is what I used

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Malreg

I made a stickhandling/shooting surface and a rebounder for my little brother recently.

All you need is a piece of melamine(sp?) wood, and a lubricant like JiffyLoo. Spray the wood and it slides just like ice.

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Guffaw

My friend works for a large company and gets large metal signs, almost like street signs, tapes them together with duct tape on the bottom, and sprays some silicone spray on top.

While I wait for mine I use a green biscuit on concrete.

Maybe I'll check Lowes or Home Depot for this thrifty white board?

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 05:28 PM
rwr

i have an acrylic board, works good, can use black pucks on it,

also heard white board works well too (alot cheaper than acrylic, a 4x8 acrylic is over 100, a 4x8 of whiteboard under 20) and just spray it with a product like jiffy lube (silicon spray)

as far as a rebounder, i made one out of 2x4, i bough a bicycle tire tube, i seen what the tube would streach out too, and cut a board to that length, then i made to little legs for it and put some 45 degree braces on it, works great, i have a old car battery on top of it to keep it in place

rwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:09 AM
mhkehoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr View Post
i have an acrylic board, works good, can use black pucks on it,

also heard white board works well too (alot cheaper than acrylic, a 4x8 acrylic is over 100, a 4x8 of whiteboard under 20) and just spray it with a product like jiffy lube (silicon spray)

as far as a rebounder, i made one out of 2x4, i bough a bicycle tire tube, i seen what the tube would streach out too, and cut a board to that length, then i made to little legs for it and put some 45 degree braces on it, works great, i have a old car battery on top of it to keep it in place
Home Depot/Lowes sells the white board material in various sizes for pretty cheap. I just use an armor all wipe real quick before stickhandling/shooting.

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:41 PM
B187

If you find a local plastics supplier HDPE is not too expensive. I think 4x8 1/8 inch thick was around $35.

B187 is offline   Reply With Quote