HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Still ~4+ Million under the cap... what do?

Old
09-11-2011, 08:31 PM
JimmyDarmody

vCash: 500
Still ~4+ Million under the cap... what do?

Depending on whether we go with 22 or 23 guys out of camp, we'll still have around 4 million in free cap space.

Are we just going to look at it? Hope the 4 million laces them up and helps salvage our questionable D? Maybe the 4 million can play center and make up for the lackluster ~65 points that Gomez and Eller will combine for.

Lets be real here, we could even have ~5 million in free space if we go with 21 players out of camp. There's no point in having that much cap space lying around, because with just 2 million in free space to start the year you're looking at having enough room by deadline day to add a 6 million dollar player. But we never do anything on d-day anyways so what's the point.

And save me the Subban+Price 2012 re-up argument. Gill and Spacek leaving frees up more than 6 million which is more than enough to cover Subban and Price's raise. Factor in the potential for another increase in the cap and Gomez's disappearance (if Management stops cheaping out and gets their head screwed on straight) and 2012 isn't a problem in the least.

So what gives for this year?

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:44 PM
PricePkPatch

Sign Marchand!!

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:44 PM
AntonCH

Ever pause to consider that the organization has faith in the roster they have and will only make a move if they have to?
There are a couple of credible call-ups available on the farm for short term relief. Only if a long term need presents itself will they look for a stop gap.
As far as spending the 4 mill, there's no use in spending it for the sake of spending it. If during camp they notice that ALL our d-men that were supposed to step up fall flat on their face, then you'd probably see a move.

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Bullsmith

Burke's managed to pick up talent by taking on salary. He got Aulie by taking Phaneuf, Franson by taking Lombardi. There's at least a possibility that the Habs could take on someone overpaid, especially a third or fourth liner, and in return upgrade a pick or a prospect.

To be frank though, this org has been neither creative nor focused on stockpiling picks. They have been aggressive and successful in the UFA market, but always in a pretty straightforward manner. The most likely use of the cap room is as rainy day/playoff upgrade flexibility, maybe never to be spent.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Keep some for callups and/or a midseason deal.

Mathradio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:02 PM
DJ Breadman

Add a fighter, people were head hunting Subban last year and Yemelin is in trouble his dirty brand of play will insure he has a target on his head too. We need to protect our your players it's just common sense really. Get a fighter and keep the rest of the money for the trade deadline

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

its nice to have space but I wouldnt want to spend for the sake of spending. If there is a short term move that can help the habs, I'm sure the organization will do their best to make it happen. I doubt it has anything to do with cheaping out.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:08 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

There simply isn't anything to spend the money on. Arpon Basu wrote about it a few days ago too, but I don't see any FA that bring anything more than what we don't have. I have a feeling though, that PG plans on adding a right handed center for the 4th line, unless they feel that Engqvist is good enough, specially on faceoffs.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:11 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
There simply isn't anything to spend the money on. Arpon Basu wrote about it a few days ago too, but I don't see any FA that bring anything more than what we don't have. I have a feeling though, that PG plans on adding a right handed center for the 4th line, unless they feel that Engqvist is good enough, specially on faceoffs.
I think Trotter has more of an "in" on the potential 4th line spot over Engqvist to be honest.

Moen-Trotter-White

Meh, a worthwhile line to try out during pre-season.

Old
09-11-2011, 09:15 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
I think Trotter has more of an "in" on the potential 4th line spot over Engqvist to be honest.

Moen-Trotter-White

Meh, a worthwhile line to try out during pre-season.
Everything I've heard about Trotter makes me think he's more a winger than a center, and he sure as hell isn't going to be the habs 4th line center next year. waste of a roster spot.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:16 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Depending on whether we go with 22 or 23 guys out of camp, we'll still have around 4 million in free cap space.

Are we just going to look at it? Hope the 4 million laces them up and helps salvage our questionable D? Maybe the 4 million can play center and make up for the lackluster ~65 points that Gomez and Eller will combine for.

Lets be real here, we could even have ~5 million in free space if we go with 21 players out of camp. There's no point in having that much cap space lying around, because with just 2 million in free space to start the year you're looking at having enough room by deadline day to add a 6 million dollar player. But we never do anything on d-day anyways so what's the point.

And save me the Subban+Price 2012 re-up argument. Gill and Spacek leaving frees up more than 6 million which is more than enough to cover Subban and Price's raise. Factor in the potential for another increase in the cap and Gomez's disappearance (if Management stops cheaping out and gets their head screwed on straight) and 2012 isn't a problem in the least.

So what gives for this year?
If Gill and Spacek leave, we leave their spot open with no one to replace them? If they leave, they gotta replace them, ergo they have to pay some other players.

You seem to like bashing the org, so please, tell me, if you were the GM, what would you do? Not sign a fighter blablabla. Names, offers, proposals. Go.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:20 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
If Gill and Spacek leave, we leave their spot open with no one to replace them? If they leave, they gotta replace them, ergo they have to pay some other players.

You seem to like bashing the org, so please, tell me, if you were the GM, what would you do? Not sign a fighter blablabla. Names, offers, proposals. Go.
You mean pay another #5 and #7 dman? Gainey isn't around to add overpaid scrubs out the ying-yang so you can probably fill both those spots for ~2 million total.

If I was GM I wouldn't be caught in September with my pants down and a bottom tier defensive unit on a team that only wins by playing defensive hockey, that's for sure.

Old
09-11-2011, 09:30 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
You mean pay another #5 and #7 dman? Gainey isn't around to add overpaid scrubs out the ying-yang so you can probably fill both those spots for ~2 million total.

If I was GM I wouldn't be caught in September with my pants down and a bottom tier defensive unit on a team that only wins by playing defensive hockey, that's for sure.
Yet you're the one whining on your computer while he has, and still is, getting very good money to run a hockey team. He also has scouts all over the map watching specific players for him so they can know what is going on for them and if they are any good.

I also think you are underrating the value of bottom pairing guys. If you think 2 millions is enough for 2 quality defenders, I'm wondering what you're whining about.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

No point in wasting much of it. Maybe sign someone close to camp, I wouldn't mind adding a guy like Madden. He's played most of his career under the defensive Devils style. Reunite with Gomez and Gionta, I'm sure he'd blend in with our group quite well. He would be a welcomed addition imo. The only downside is his age, but I still think he would be good for us.

With the rest of the cap, keep it for in-season moves in case of injuries or deadline trade.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:31 PM
AntonCH

Quote:

The so-called pants will be down only when the guys slotted to plug the holes fall flat on their face, until then we all have to wait and see.

FA market leaves something to be desired at the moment. Winchester is still available, but that begs the question, "why is he still available?"

Your overpaid scrubs had a helluva run 2 years ago and took the cup champs to a game 7 over-time.

We have a youth movement with "controlled-cost" contracts, hence the space. No need to spend because its available.

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Habs have 4 millions...

Turris is looking for 4 millions...

COINCIDENCE?!

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Andy

Last year we had no cap space and everyone *****ed at Gauthier for it citing Gomez as a problem.

This year we have cap space and everyone still *****es at Gauthier for not spending it.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Le CH

I say they wait for a trade deadline deal and if anything interesting comes up go for it.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Habs have 4 millions...

COINCIDENCE?!
We have more like ~5 millions (CapGeek.com is counting the salaries of Woywitka and Trotter when they shouldn't).

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:44 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Sign Brad Winchester for 1.4 million and call it a summer.

kassian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Habs have 4 millions...

COINCIDENCE?!
I hope not.

Inconsistent, loses battles for the puck all the time and isn't very responsible at either ends of the ice.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I also think you are underrating the value of bottom pairing guys. If you think 2 millions is enough for 2 quality defenders, I'm wondering what you're whining about.
We don't have to worry about that. Look at the cap space of teams, most don't know what to do with it. There's only 5 teams that have less than 2M of free room, 10 have more than 10M. There's an abundance of cap right now. We are not where we started following the strike with a cap of only 39M. There's just under 65M available to teams and it might increase some more next year.

Even if it doesn't, most of the great players of this league are signed to longterm deals. Every summer, we see teams offer huge long term contracts to the star players (some aren't even stars, ie Max Talbot). The cap is not nearly as important as it used to be.
Next summer, the most appealing forwards are Semin, Parise and Doan. Outside these three players, the most you'll get is players like Penner or AK, top 6 players.
On Defense, you'll have Jackman, Stuart and Kronwall (obviously I'm excluding Lidstrom).
So, the lack of selection is a good thing for bottom players as it'll rise their value, but not to the point of having to pay 4M of them. The cap is no longer an issue. That's why I find it rather amusing when people claim Gomez is still a cap issue. Pretty much every Habs fan here will say this is possibly the most depth we've add in recent years, with a Gomez at 7M+. The cap isn't preventing teams from anything anymore.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:00 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I hope not.

Inconsistent, loses battles for the puck all the time and isn't very responsible at either ends of the ice.
Haha you're kidding right? You wouldn't add a kid with that much talent for zero asset cost?

We haven't spent it for reasons unbeknownst, my friend. I thought signing Hannan would be awesome for 1 or even 2 years as he could replace Spacek next year and he's a Hamrlik-lite in the sense that he eats minutes on the second pairing and he's good defensively as long as he's not overworked. Why he went for Calgary, I do not know. Did we offer anything? If so, was it term/money that he didn't like? He signed @1mil/1yr. Does he hate Montreal? No clue, but Calgary is no contender lol

I've said it before: I don't want fighters who do nothing else. Winchester is atrocious in all 3 zones and he doesn't draw penalties. He just fights and takes penalties.

I liked the idea of having Stillman.. then he retired. Madden is a lot slower now, but I still wouldn't mind him around for 1 year with the youngsters.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodson Hoggs View Post
Sign Brad Winchester for 1.4 million and call it a summer.
I think he's on tryout with the canucks

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:06 PM
TankEller*

Brian Sutherby could actually be a good signing if we're looking for a capable centerman who adds physical play to an already rather physical duo in White and Moen. Had 59% of faceoffs win last season, and isn't a liability on the ice in an appropriate role. Would add some leadership, and wouldn't ask for a whole lot of minutes.

I also wouldn't have been against a defenseman other than Woywitka, but at this point, we just have too many guys under contract next season back there to sign another.

The only hole we could be willing to fill is the 4th centerman spot, and the picks are rather limited. But there are some guys who could be a good fit. John Madden would be a nice addition as we already have some of his ex-teammates in Gionta and Gomez, and he's at a point in his career where he'd settle for a 4th centerman spot.

Last edited by TankEller*: 09-11-2011 at 10:26 PM.
TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote