HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Still ~4+ Million under the cap... what do?

Old
09-11-2011, 11:13 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

vCash: 500
You mean Brian Sutherby... It wouldn't be bad. I mean Halpern left a tiny hole in PK and faceoffs. Engqvist might be able to do that, but he's still learning.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:15 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Last year we had no cap space and everyone *****ed at Gauthier for it citing Gomez as a problem.

This year we have cap space and everyone still *****es at Gauthier for not spending it.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
You're bluffing. If you were genuinely affected, you would have been on medication a long time already because of this fanbase.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:27 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
You mean Brian Sutherby... It wouldn't be bad. I mean Halpern left a tiny hole in PK and faceoffs. Engqvist might be able to do that, but he's still learning.
Yeah, sorry for that. Just corrected it

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Let's face it we're talking about using this space for game changing talent. IF there are any opportunities out there as the result of teams going in new directions or changing opinions about players (Spezza, Iginla, etc.) Montreal can't participate because of a lack of top tier prospects needed to complete a transaction.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:59 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

so were *****ing about too much cap space now?

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
so were *****ing about too much cap space now?
Nobody's complaining, it's just with the depth that we have + the cap space, the Habs could be in a position to get an impact player, at the very least a good top 4 winger or D without hurting the team.

Btw, I love the idea of getting Sutherby as the next 4th line center.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:28 AM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

This organization will be making a serious deal this season and this ~4 million is going to help doing it. You want to speculate, just pick your poison (Ak, gomez, etc...)

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:30 AM
Mr. Hab

If the Habs' owner(s) is/are being cheap, then... (ticket prices are ludicrous but still...Hab fans still pay).

If the Habs are being smart, then... (meaning...waiting patiently to see how everything turns out...Weber, Spacek, Markov's health, Yemelin, and spending as the season goes along, especially before March trade deadline).

Still...as long as there are dirty cheaters and criminals on ice out there (Bruins) our Habs have got to protect themselves or the NHL (ex: Shanahan) better start doing a bbetter job at protecting players from head checks, hits from behind, bullyfights (when team can't win), and violent slashes.

13th forward?
Blunden?
Palushaj?

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 09-12-2011 at 04:12 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:37 AM
neofury*

At this point I'd be willing to give Winchester at best league minimum and even then I'd be weary. The cap space could prove to be far more valuable. 700k at deadline is more space than one would think. A 5 million dollar player has less than 2.5 left to pay by that time.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:50 AM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
There simply isn't anything to spend the money on. Arpon Basu wrote about it a few days ago too, but I don't see any FA that bring anything more than what we don't have. I have a feeling though, that PG plans on adding a right handed center for the 4th line, unless they feel that Engqvist is good enough, specially on faceoffs.
duuuuuuuude that's my avatar ! I called dibs on it !

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Ubercron9000

Its better to use the money wisely then spent it like a drunk would on cheap hookers. We are set at forward position I really can't think of a reason why we would add another srub or top forward we signed cole. As for defense we might not look top but thats because we forget about markov.

Markov-Gorges
Subban-Gill
Weber-spacek(Yemelin)
Diaz, Nash

We have decent depth at defense so still no problem that I can see.

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 02:00 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

They should wait and use it on a good rental at the deadline if the Habs are in a good spot.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 05:13 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
At this point I'd be willing to give Brad Winchester at best league minimum and even then I'd be weary. The cap space could prove to be far more valuable. 700k at deadline is more space than one would think. A 5 million dollar player has less than 2.5 left to pay by that time.
Must be a reason he's still available? Maybe he's not as tough as some us think he is? Some teams should have taken him already, no? (ex: Toronto, Phoenix, Winnipeg,etc...).

Many options with Winchester:

Winchester-Eller-Kostitsyn
Winchester/Moen - Desharnais - White/Darche

Or, provides better depth for our 13-14th-15th forwards:
Winchester
Blunden
Palushaj

Winchester? $700,000/year? Sign him.
EDIT: he may not be as tough as we think he is... http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?2186

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 09-12-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 05:22 AM
Celtic Cross

Offer sheet marchand 3.5 Bs don't match then trade Kostitsyn for 4th liner and prospect or pick.

Celtic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:17 AM
jamz

Keep the cap space until the deadline or until the right deal comes along.

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:47 AM
Estimated_Prophet

I think we should hold on to the money until we can talk the Mickey Mouse management group in Colorado into giving away Stastny.

If I was PG, I'd be looking to fleece those baffoons at every opportunity..............

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:53 AM
habsjunkie2*

Normally, I would be all for spending the cash, but this year I feel sitting on it is the best play. We have a few questions with Markov/gorges coming off injuries and the extra cash will act as a buffer should one of those two go down, we will have the space to replace them easily, who knows maybe a young guy will fall out of favor with a struggling club and we can pluck him, much like teams have done with some of our youngsters.

A cheap RH faceoff man is the only immediate hole we have. Address that and bank the rest. We're in the best shape we've been in in a longtime, both roster wise and flexibility wise, to spend the money on something we don't really require would be a mistake I'd prefer to avoid. Having the space puts us in a position of strength, a position I prefer not to piss away just because we can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
If Gill and Spacek leave, we leave their spot open with no one to replace them? If they leave, they gotta replace them, ergo they have to pay some other players.

You seem to like bashing the org, so please, tell me, if you were the GM, what would you do? Not sign a fighter blablabla. Names, offers, proposals. Go.
Not really, we have the organizational depth and proper development of Weber and he will slide in to replace spacek, gill will be replaced easily as well.

Last edited by habsjunkie2*: 09-12-2011 at 07:37 AM. Reason: merge
habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 07:32 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Last year we had no cap space and everyone *****ed at Gauthier for it citing Gomez as a problem.

This year we have cap space and everyone still *****es at Gauthier for not spending it.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
They must be cheap and ineffective, because I don't think that's what's going on at all for the most part. We are discussing whether or not the money should be spent and when and where to spend it.

Seems like a pretty reasonable discussion to have, your post is immature and adds very little value to the discussion.

If you look at the consensus, most people here are posting to save the money for when it makes the most sense to use it. Hardly constitutes everyone *****ing at Gauthier.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Ketzlaf

Keep the cap space for the inevitable rainy day. A 34+ yo 4th liner won't change a thing.

Ketzlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'd be satisfied with standing pat *IF* management had already approached some of the likely candidates out there, but determined that those players didn't want to play for us (on the kinds of terms I'd be thinking of, that is). We have $5M in cap space with openings up front and on D. Guys like Madden, Winchester, McCabe even, Hannan before he evapourated, etc, etc, all the usual suspects... if you could have any 2 of them on 1-year deals and still have $3M+ in cap space free for all this deadline contingency usage that people are talking about... shouldn't it be a no-brainer? $3M still gets you any player in the league at the deadline.

I'll just assume that Gauthier approached a variety of these players, but found that they either didn't want to come to Montreal, or didn't want 1-year sub-$1M deals, or some such. C'est la vie.

I'm a little surprised that so many people are so sold on the deadline acquisition issue, however. What if:
a) Habs aren't looking like a contender at the deadline, or
b) Habs don't make a significant acquisition at the deadline, or
c) Habs feel some kind of internal pressure to make a significant acquisition at the deadline and in so doing make a terrible trade for a player who ends up not making a difference and gives up some of the youth elements that are so cherished around here in the process...

Etc. Then what was the cap space good for? It's all what-ifs. I would always rather see the team spend the money up front in a clear attempt to make the team better from Day 1.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:12 AM
BLONG7

Cap space is a good thing guys, and the team on paper looks better than it has in years....

Patience is a virtue, let's just see how this all plays out....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:18 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Must be a reason he's still available? Maybe he's not as tough as some us think he is? Some teams should have taken him already, no? (ex: Toronto, Phoenix, Winnipeg,etc...).

Many options with Winchester:

Winchester-Eller-Kostitsyn
Winchester/Moen - Desharnais - White/Darche

Or, provides better depth for our 13-14th-15th forwards:
Winchester
Blunden
Palushaj

Winchester? $700,000/year? Sign him.
EDIT: he may not be as tough as we think he is... http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?2186
Maybe it was the small sample size I saw on youtube but he looked like a fool in every fight I looked up. There was one fight where a dude 6 inches shorter and 30lbs lighter actually did stand with him no problem at all. Statistically he isn't much to look at either, couldn't see him on the 3rd line that's for sure.

I honestly think it would be a waste of 700k but youtube doesn't tell the whole tale and I didn't follow the guys career very much. That having been said all I was saying is that I wouldn't be completely unhappy if it were league minimum. Anything else... ugh.

Old
09-12-2011, 09:22 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I think we should hold on to the money until we can talk the Mickey Mouse management group in Colorado into giving away Stastny.

If I was PG, I'd be looking to fleece those baffoons at every opportunity..............
Yeah honestly I thought the EJ deal stunk from day one.

But frankly I'd be working hard to fleece Calgary out of Iginla come deadline instead. You know Iginla wants to win and he likely would be down to play for another Canadian team that has a chance.

Calgary needs to rebuild and I think by deadline that will become painfully obvious to their management and fans. I've never seen a management group or fan base in more denial than the leafs pre-Burke/early-Burke but now that their team has a small glimmer of hope Calgary has got to be the worst now. Their team just stinks of bubble team that would only make it into 8th if half the west was injured

And not to mention he's a Quebecois!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'd be satisfied with standing pat *IF* management had already approached some of the likely candidates out there, but determined that those players didn't want to play for us (on the kinds of terms I'd be thinking of, that is). We have $5M in cap space with openings up front and on D. Guys like Madden, Winchester, McCabe even, Hannan before he evapourated, etc, etc, all the usual suspects... if you could have any 2 of them on 1-year deals and still have $3M+ in cap space free for all this deadline contingency usage that people are talking about... shouldn't it be a no-brainer? $3M still gets you any player in the league at the deadline.

I'll just assume that Gauthier approached a variety of these players, but found that they either didn't want to come to Montreal, or didn't want 1-year sub-$1M deals, or some such. C'est la vie.

I'm a little surprised that so many people are so sold on the deadline acquisition issue, however. What if:
a) Habs aren't looking like a contender at the deadline, or
b) Habs don't make a significant acquisition at the deadline, or
c) Habs feel some kind of internal pressure to make a significant acquisition at the deadline and in so doing make a terrible trade for a player who ends up not making a difference and gives up some of the youth elements that are so cherished around here in the process...

Etc. Then what was the cap space good for? It's all what-ifs. I would always rather see the team spend the money up front in a clear attempt to make the team better from Day 1.
Pretty sure most people are using a disclaimer prior to the deadline deals such as "if we're in good shape by deadline"

B = will be pretty annoyed if we do need a player to put us over but we can't get him even with the space.

C = would be devastating as a fan imo.

Like I said earlier this year, say if we land Iginla and he's a bad fit or just sucks here, I won't be happy at all I'll be mad pissed we gave up assets for a guy who sucks with us. However I'll respect management for making a move in an attempt to win the cup. Sometimes you do have to take risks in order to put yourself over the top and get that cup. Sometimes risks don't work out that's why they're risks. I won't be unhappy with management because at least they'll have tried. I really don't blame them for the Gomez trade either. Koivu was moving on and we needed a solid center, we may have given up a lot but I'm still not convinced Gomez has shown us all he can offer.

Last edited by neofury*: 09-12-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old
09-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I think that cap space is for the rental we'll get for a 2nd rounder after the inevitable injury that'll occur.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Marc-E-

One guy I would like to add is Paul Gaustad to the fourth line. We heard some rumours that Buffalo needs to make some move to be under the cap. But I doubt Buffalo trades Gaustad to the Habs.

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote