HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Soo Greyhounds 2011-12 Season Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-07-2011, 10:27 AM
  #51
saska sault
Registered User
 
saska sault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Forwards
91 Carson Dubchak 1991 R 5.11 181 Soo Greyhounds 2008-10th rnd
92 Corey Durocher 1992 L 6.03 183 Kingston Frontenacs Trade-Kingston
92 David Elsner 1992 L 6.00 190 Landshut Cannibals-GER2 2011 Import-34th
92 Rudy Sulmonte 1992 R 5.09 180 Soo Greyhounds free agent
92 Brett Findlay 1992 L 6.00 160 Soo Greyhounds free agent
92 Michael Kantor 1992 R 6.00 198 Soo Greyhounds trade-Saginaw
92 Brandon Alderson 1992 R 6.04 195 Sarnia Sting trade-Sarnia
92 David Quesnele 1992 L 5.10 195 Soo Greyhounds trade-Peterborough
93 Tye Campbell 1993 R 5.11 185 Mississauga Chargers free agent
93 Jordan Coccimiglio 1993 L 6.01 190 Erie Otters/Barrie Colts free agent
93 Nick Cousins 1993 L 5.11 170 Soo Greyhounds 2009-2nd rnd
93 Trevor Morbeck 1993 R 6.02 186 Soo Greyhounds 2009-3rd rnd
93 Andrew Fritsch 1993 R 6.00 187 Niagara Ice Dogs trade-Niagara
93 Michael Schumacher 1993 L 6.03 198 Frolunda J20 trade-O.S.
93 Kyle Shaw 1993 R 6.00 190 Sudbury Wolves trade-Sudbury
93 David Broll 1993 L 6.01 225 Soo Greyhounds trade-Erie
93 Chad Thibodeau 1993 L 6.00 213 Soo Greyhounds 2009-7th rnd
94 Peter Angelopoulos 1994 L 6.04 185 Soo Thunderbirds 2010-3rd
94 Adam Chapman 1994 L 5.11 189 Soo Greyhounds 2010-8th rnd
95 Nick Halagian 1995 L 6.00 190 St. Catherines Falcons 2011-2nd rnd
Defense
91 Michael Schwindt 1991 R 6.04 215 Niagara Ice Dogs trade-Niagara
91 Joe Rogalski 1991 R 6.02 185 Sarnia Sting trade-Sarnia
92 Colin Miller 1992 R 6.01 173 Soo Greyhounds free agent
93 MacKenzie Braid 1993 L 6.00 165 Barrie Colts trade-Barrie
93 Ryan Sproul 1993 R 6.04 185 Soo Greyhounds 2009-6th rnd
93 Patrick Volpe 1993 L 6.03 185 Soo Greyhounds 2009-5th rnd
94 Gianluca Curcuruto 1994 L 6.01 187 Soo Greyounds 2010-1st rnd
95 Darnell Nurse 1995 L 6.03 175 Don Mills Flyers 2011-1st rnd
Goalies
94 Matthew Murray 1994 L 6.03 159 Soo Greyhounds 2010-2nd rnd
91 Chris Perugini 1991 L 5.10 160 Soo Greyhounds trade-Ottawa

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:32 AM
  #52
saska sault
Registered User
 
saska sault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
My predictions for the final rosters: Dubchak, Durocher, Elsner, Findlay, Kantor, Alderson, Cousins, Morbeck, Fritsch, Schumacher, Broll, Halagian with Chapman, Angelopolous and possibly Thibodeau rotating in an out. Defense will be Sproul, Miller, Rogalski, Curcuruto, Nurse with Braid possibly getting this 6th spot, while Schwindt is moved because of the OA situation. Volpe is gone for sure.

Murray I think will start the year as the #1.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:33 AM
  #53
saska sault
Registered User
 
saska sault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
1st line? Broll, Cousins, Fritsch?

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 04:22 PM
  #54
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
My predictions for the final rosters: Dubchak, Durocher, Elsner, Findlay, Kantor, Alderson, Cousins, Morbeck, Fritsch, Schumacher, Broll, Halagian with Chapman, Angelopolous and possibly Thibodeau rotating in an out. Defense will be Sproul, Miller, Rogalski, Curcuruto, Nurse with Braid possibly getting this 6th spot, while Schwindt is moved because of the OA situation. Volpe is gone for sure.

Murray I think will start the year as the #1.
We just traded Beukaboom for Schwindt no way does he not make the team. Perugini is going out the door. Murray was better last season as a 16 year old he will certainly be starter this year. No point to have an over age spot tied to a backup goalie.

My line predictions

Fritsch - Cousins - Broll
Schumacher - Findlay - Elsner
Durocher - Dubchak - Kantor
Alderson - Chapman - Morbeck

Spares: Thibodeau, Halagian and Angelopoulos

Defense

Sproul - Rogalski
Curcuruto - Miller
Schwindt - Nurse

Spares: Braid

Murray
Nichols

On another note I was dissapointed to see two 16 year old dman Tyler Ganly and Mac Clutsam cut after the red and white game. I really felt that Clutsam showed he was ready for the OHL and liked his skating, shot and thought he showed a lot of maturity in his own end for a 16 year old and for a smaller guy he wasn't affraid to battle for the puck and get his nose dirty.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:50 PM
  #55
saska sault
Registered User
 
saska sault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
We just traded Beukaboom for Schwindt no way does he not make the team. Perugini is going out the door. Murray was better last season as a 16 year old he will certainly be starter this year. No point to have an over age spot tied to a backup goalie.

My line predictions

Fritsch - Cousins - Broll
Schumacher - Findlay - Elsner
Durocher - Dubchak - Kantor
Alderson - Chapman - Morbeck

Spares: Thibodeau, Halagian and Angelopoulos

Defense

Sproul - Rogalski
Curcuruto - Miller
Schwindt - Nurse

Spares: Braid

Murray
Nichols

On another note I was dissapointed to see two 16 year old dman Tyler Ganly and Mac Clutsam cut after the red and white game. I really felt that Clutsam showed he was ready for the OHL and liked his skating, shot and thought he showed a lot of maturity in his own end for a 16 year old and for a smaller guy he wasn't affraid to battle for the puck and get his nose dirty.
Nichols will not report, he has stated he is 60-70% leaning towards NCAA, therefore cannot play in the exhibiton games. Schwindt was a throw in, for Beukeboom, the 2nd rounders were what made the deal. Schwindt works hard, blocks shot, but is easily replace able. Also Durocher is a RW, and no chance Alderson is a 4th liner. I would like to see Halagian and Angelopolous on the 4th line to get some OHL experience, and add some depth to our bottom 6, its nice to have grinders and fighters but we have a big team with guys that will drop the mitts, so lets develop some talent. Great teams have bottom 6 that can score, we need that in the Soo for the future.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 10:18 PM
  #56
saska sault
Registered User
 
saska sault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
1 win and 1 tie, not bad so far in the pre season without our 11 players at NHL camps. My impressions Angelopolous is no where near making the team, Morbeck will make it, Sulmonte is close but can he play bottom 6 role? Quesnele can play bottom 6 but is it worth keeping him over a guy like Chapman or Thibodeau. Chapman and Morbeck would be my picks, let Thibodeau sit in the stands and play every few games, cut/trade Quesnele, Sulmonte, Angelopolous.

Perguini is brutal, and Braid has impressed my with his skating and hitting.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:53 AM
  #57
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
1 win and 1 tie, not bad so far in the pre season without our 11 players at NHL camps. My impressions Angelopolous is no where near making the team, Morbeck will make it, Sulmonte is close but can he play bottom 6 role? Quesnele can play bottom 6 but is it worth keeping him over a guy like Chapman or Thibodeau. Chapman and Morbeck would be my picks, let Thibodeau sit in the stands and play every few games, cut/trade Quesnele, Sulmonte, Angelopolous.

Perguini is brutal, and Braid has impressed my with his skating and hitting.
Angelopolous has been a big dissapointment for me so far I don't see him making the team. Last night Quesnele, Braid and Sulmonte played their butts off in my oppinion. I think Quesnele will make this team, he fits the mold as a good bottom 6 guy. Morbeck I like and think could break out but I don't think he will get the ice time he wants. I totally agree about Sulmonte he is close but I don't think he fits the mold for the bottom 6 role and isn't quite good enough to crack the top 6.

Also I was fairly impressed with Campbell last night I thought he played a high energy game but probably won't make the team.

Perigini is brutal I can't see him making the team and wasting an overage spot. I think Thibodeau is a lock like I have been saying all along but he won't play every game though.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:03 PM
  #58
Koss
Registered User
 
Koss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,593
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Koss
Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
1 win and 1 tie, not bad so far in the pre season without our 11 players at NHL camps. My impressions Angelopolous is no where near making the team, Morbeck will make it, Sulmonte is close but can he play bottom 6 role? Quesnele can play bottom 6 but is it worth keeping him over a guy like Chapman or Thibodeau. Chapman and Morbeck would be my picks, let Thibodeau sit in the stands and play every few games, cut/trade Quesnele, Sulmonte, Angelopolous.

Perguini is brutal, and Braid has impressed my with his skating and hitting.
So an interesting fact about the goals the Wolves scored. Nurse was -4 and was on the ice for 5 of the 7 goals.

Koss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 04:58 PM
  #59
saska sault
Registered User
 
saska sault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
I wouldnt worry about Nurse, he showed he has promise but is very raw. He looks like a kid that is still adjusting to a big growth spurt. Perguini is not a #1, and he is not worth the OA spot, he is good on a very good team that can hide his holes. Curcuruto is gonna put up 50+ points this year, just watch.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 05:33 PM
  #60
dogsandwings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 397
vCash: 500
I like what i saw from Morbeck and Sulmonte...going to be some tough decisions..
Nurse made mistakes but so did Josef Salk..

dogsandwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 06:04 PM
  #61
richardn
Registered User
 
richardn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
I wouldnt worry about Nurse, he showed he has promise but is very raw. He looks like a kid that is still adjusting to a big growth spurt. Perguini is not a #1, and he is not worth the OA spot, he is good on a very good team that can hide his holes. Curcuruto is gonna put up 50+ points this year, just watch.
I agree about Curcuruto he looks so much more poised this year and confident in his game. The blue line is going to be very deep and good this year Nurse won't have a lot of pressure right away to produce. You can see is loaded with raw talent.

This team may not have any star forwards but are going to be very deep up and down the whole lineup with size toughness and balanced scoring

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 06:06 PM
  #62
dogsandwings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
I agree about Curcuruto he looks so much more poised this year and confident in his game. The blue line is going to be very deep and good this year Nurse won't have a lot of pressure right away to produce. You can see is loaded with raw talent.

This team may not have any star forwards but are going to be very deep up and down the whole lineup with size toughness and balanced scoring
And they will sruprise lots of people and end up around 2nd in the division

dogsandwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 06:53 PM
  #63
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 500
I'll be at the Spits/Hounds game at the end of the month if anyone wants to talk hockey during an intermission.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:18 PM
  #64
PacoSanchez15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Last night was my first chance to see this years team, here's my initial observations:

Curcuruto has definitely gotten more confident in his game this year, he looks like he is willing and able to rush the puck up ice and take the shot when it's there.

Nurse's skating is effortless and he uses his stick very well, unfortunately he made more than a few bad decisions with the puck that lead to goals. I'm sure that those will go away once he gets used to the speed of the game at this level.

Perugini never looked comfortable in net. The defense in front of him wasn't great but even on the most routine saves he looked shaky and unsure of himself. Hard to judge goalies on exhibition games, hopefully Murray gets the next game in town to see how he looks.

I was pleasantly surprised by Braid and Campbell. Braid is a pretty good skater and he and Campbell were throwing their bodies around every chance they got. I wouldn't mind seeing Campbell get a 4th line spot but I don't know who he'd beat out for it.

Angelopolous and Volpe are probably going to be cut or traded. Neither played well enough to warrant a spot over anyone else. Angelopolous could play another year with the T-Birds but i'm not sure he'll want to stick around here for that.

Not too sure whether Halagian should stay this year. He scored a nice goal but most of the game he was pretty ineffective, he lost a lot of battles for the puck. He'll need to get stronger if he's going to play and contribute this year.

Findlay scored a highlight reel goal. He looks bigger this year, he just may prove me wrong that we need another center for that 2nd line.

PacoSanchez15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:24 PM
  #65
dogsandwings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I'll be at the Spits/Hounds game at the end of the month if anyone wants to talk hockey during an intermission.
Le t us know what section you will be in..love to meet some Spitfire fans

dogsandwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:41 PM
  #66
saska sault
Registered User
 
saska sault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Angelopolous should be moved East, Quesnele and Sulmonte packaged to any team in return for picks. Keep Chapman and Thibodeau, trade one eventually if the rest of the forwards stay the same. Volpe wont get anything in return, so trade for conditional pick or release. Perguini should be odd man out on OA front.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:07 PM
  #67
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandwings View Post
Le t us know what section you will be in..love to meet some Spitfire fans
118. Probably one of the few guys in the section with a Spitfires "W" jersey on and a camera in hand.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:25 PM
  #68
dogsandwings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
118. Probably one of the few guys in the section with a Spitfires "W" jersey on and a camera in hand.
Thanx..hope you have a good safe trip ..(but lets hope you don't enjoy the game too much)

dogsandwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:50 PM
  #69
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandwings View Post
Thanx..hope you have a good safe trip ..(but lets hope you don't enjoy the game too much)
I've been to approx 14 games in the Sault over my life (starting with the opener against OS years ago when Corey Pecker scored the GWG for a 6-5 win). Every game I went to had the Hounds winning, regardless of who played - OS, Windsor, Sudbury being the teams I saw at one point or another. The last time I was there, we sat five seats from the Hounds bench. We were down 5-3 or something heading into the third. Not much fun. Then the Spits come back to win 6-5 in OT. I'm pretty sure I pissed off 2/3 of the section with my celebration after, haha. As long as it's competitive, I don't mind a loss now. I've got my win

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:18 PM
  #70
dogsandwings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I've been to approx 14 games in the Sault over my life (starting with the opener against OS years ago when Corey Pecker scored the GWG for a 6-5 win). Every game I went to had the Hounds winning, regardless of who played - OS, Windsor, Sudbury being the teams I saw at one point or another. The last time I was there, we sat five seats from the Hounds bench. We were down 5-3 or something heading into the third. Not much fun. Then the Spits come back to win 6-5 in OT. I'm pretty sure I pissed off 2/3 of the section with my celebration after, haha. As long as it's competitive, I don't mind a loss now. I've got my win
It's all in good fun..i get quite vocal in other arenas..WHL was lots of fun
loved Prince Albert and Moose Jaw (Fans are intense)

dogsandwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 02:12 AM
  #71
Herman the German
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
info

How is David Elsner looking? Thanks.

Herman the German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 05:54 AM
  #72
Racer14
Always Watching
 
Racer14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
1 win and 1 tie, not bad so far in the pre season without our 11 players at NHL camps. My impressions Angelopolous is no where near making the team, Morbeck will make it, Sulmonte is close but can he play bottom 6 role? Quesnele can play bottom 6 but is it worth keeping him over a guy like Chapman or Thibodeau. Chapman and Morbeck would be my picks, let Thibodeau sit in the stands and play every few games, cut/trade Quesnele, Sulmonte, Angelopolous.

Perguini is brutal, and Braid has impressed my with his skating and hitting.
wait until you see him play a game against a full ohl roster............

Racer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:31 AM
  #73
saska sault
Registered User
 
saska sault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Country: Canada
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Braid so far has been an upgrade over Hartwick... Hartwick just skated around all last year, was not in position, didnt hit, didnt fight, didnt shoot, wouldnt make outlet passes... I have heard he has turned it around so far, and for now I am sure Braid has. No sense in putting him down yet, when he is playing good hockey, even scoring.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:52 AM
  #74
PacoSanchez15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
wait until you see him play a game against a full ohl roster............
He's looked good so far but at best he's going to be a #7 dman. Rogalski, Sproul, Curcuruto, Miller, Nurse and Schwindt are all ahead of him at this point.

PacoSanchez15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:54 AM
  #75
PacoSanchez15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman the German View Post
How is David Elsner looking? Thanks.
He had two goals in our annual Red & White game, but he's currently at Nashville's rookie camp so he hasn't been in any exhibition games yet.

PacoSanchez15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.