HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

HF Sabres Prospect Rankings

Old
09-11-2011, 02:51 PM
ct2111

vCash: 500
HF Sabres Prospect Rankings

Hockey's Future Prospect Rankings: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...uffalo_sabres/

Quote:
1. Joel Armia
2. Luke Adam
3. Zack Kassian
4. Mark Pysyk
5. Brayden McNabb
6. Jhonas Enroth
7. Marc-Andre Gragnani
8. Drew Schiestel
9. TJ Brennan
10. Corey Tropp
11. Marcus Foligno
12. Jerome Gauthier-Leduc
13. Kevin Sundher
14. Dennis Persson
15. Alex Biega
16. Daniel Catenacci
17. Matt MacKenzie
18. Nick Crawford
19. Riley Boychuk
20. Connor Knapp
Rating changes compared to the spring rankings:
Adam 7.5C > 7.5B
Kassian 7.5B > 7.5C
Pysyk 7.5D > 7.5C
McNabb 7.0C > 7.5C
Enroth 7.5B > 7.0B
Gragnani 6.5B > 7.0B
Schiestel 7.0B > 7.0C
Brennan 7.5C > 7.0C
Tropp 7.0C > 6.5C
Foligno 7.0C > 6.5C
Sundher 6.5C > 7.0D
Knapp 6.5C > 6.5D

Last edited by ct2111: 09-11-2011 at 03:20 PM.
ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:14 PM
jfb392

inb4 "Zack Kassian is Buffalo's #1 prospect for the 2011-2012 season".

All of the ratings and rating changes look pretty fair at first glance.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:16 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
inb4 "Zack Kassian is Buffalo's #1 prospect for the 2011-2012 season".

All of the ratings and rating changes look pretty fair at first glance.
Yeah, definitely. I agree with them a lot more than the spring rankings.

Old
09-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

It's not to have someone with an 8.0 rating in the system

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:38 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

i disagree with Schiestel going from 7.0B > 7.0C

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:45 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
i disagree with Schiestel going from 7.0B > 7.0C
I agree with that. Until he plays we won't really know if he's completely healthy and able to compete at his pre-injury level. But based on last year, I wouldn't have been against him going to 7.5C.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 04:56 PM
djscooter

What has Foligno done to merit his rating going down exactly?

djscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 05:11 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
His rating was incorrect to begin with and they've corrected it.
It should have been corrected a long time ago, as he's never really been a top six player.

It's not a knock against him, just more realistic.

Old
09-11-2011, 07:24 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I'm confused about Pysyk. Yea, he was a D, but now he's a C? The guy might as well have "safe bet" tattooed on his forehead.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Myers only had a 8 C, and we all know how that turned out, let's hope Armia follows his footsteps.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:09 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
I'm confused about Pysyk. Yea, he was a D, but now he's a C? The guy might as well have "safe bet" tattooed on his forehead.
It just means that he's taken another step towards being a borderline top pairing guy.

He has the skills and skating ability to become a very good player, but a lack of strength and size combined with him shying away from physical play (both laying and receiving hits) made him less likely to reach his full potential in the NHL, hence the initial D rating.
Last season, he added some mass and started to become more comfortable with physical play while continuing to round out his game, so his rating was bumped accordingly because he's corrected flaws that would have prevented him from being as effective in the NHL as he could be.

A player can be "safe" and have high potential that they are unlikely to reach at the same time.
The initial D rating given to Pysyk does not mean that the HF staff thought he was likely to be a bust, it just meant that he could be anything from a top pairing guy to a useful seventh defenseman who doesn't have all the tools to stick at the NHL level/a dominant minor league defenseman.
They now feel that he's likely at least an NHL defenseman, but his potential role is still to be determined.

Old
09-11-2011, 08:25 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
It just means that he's taken another step towards being a borderline top pairing guy.

He has the skills and skating ability to become a very good player, but a lack of strength and size combined with him shying away from physical play (both laying and receiving hits) made him less likely to reach his full potential in the NHL, hence the initial D rating.
Last season, he added some mass and started to become more comfortable with physical play while continuing to round out his game, so his rating was bumped accordingly because he's corrected flaws that would have prevented him from being as effective in the NHL as he could be.

A player can be "safe" and have high potential that they are unlikely to reach at the same time.
The initial D rating given to Pysyk does not mean that the HF staff thought he was likely to be a bust, it just meant that he could be anything from a top pairing guy to a useful seventh defenseman who doesn't have all the tools to stick at the NHL level/a dominant minor league defenseman.
They now feel that he's likely at least an NHL defenseman, but his potential role is still to be determined.
Well worded and very accurate.

I still think he should be a B.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
Yeah, definitely. I agree with them a lot more than the spring rankings.
Tony is very open to reasonable input and feedback.

09-12-2011, 06:53 AM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
Imo both Tropp and Foligno should be rated 6.5B, Schiestel 7.5C, JGL 7.0C or 7.5D and Shipley and Jokinen 7.0F or 6.5D. Overall the rankings are pretty spot on.

Old
09-12-2011, 07:26 AM
OcAirlines

The ranking looks okay, i agree. The only real "fail" I see is the assessment of Crawford, he is ridiculously underrated. Ranked #18, really, with guys like Persson, Biega and MacKenzie in front of him? And when you read the segment about Crawford you get the feeling that the author doesn't know the player at all.
I also don't see why Enroth dropped, but that's just a minor thing. But generally i think it's a bit strange how people rated Enroth during the summer. He had some great games last year and will be our back-up this season, but he dropped quite a bit in our board-polls and in the hf-ranking as well. I know this is just because he is one of our older prospects, but i still think it's wrong. Maybe he isn't "flashy" anymore, but this shouldn't be the criteria. If you think he is too old for the list, leave him out, but if he is in it, rate him like everyone else. This is something that really bothered me about our own prospect-poll and i don't think it's good that the HF-staff seems to take the same approach. I'm a big McNabb-fan but having him over Enroth (and to some extent Gragnani) is just wrong and i also don't think Pysyk should be ahead of Jhonas. But i guess those two guys are still young and you can project your hopes on them, while Enroth and Gragnani are too old and safe.
I agree with how they dealt with Foligno. Normally he shouldn't be downgraded after the season he had, but his rating was way too high last year so it's reasonable that they took him down a bit. I think even 6,5 is a reach but i'm okay with it. Don't like the Tropp downgrade but his last rating was too high as well, so nothing wrong with that.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
The ranking looks okay, i agree. The only real "fail" I see is the assessment of Crawford, he is ridiculously underrated. Ranked #18, really, with guys like Persson, Biega and MacKenzie in front of him? And when you read the segment about Crawford you get the feeling that the author doesn't know the player at all.
I also don't see why Enroth dropped, but that's just a minor thing. But generally i think it's a bit strange how people rated Enroth during the summer. He had some great games last year and will be our back-up this season, but he dropped quite a bit in our board-polls and in the hf-ranking as well. I know this is just because he is one of our older prospects, but i still think it's wrong. Maybe he isn't "flashy" anymore, but this shouldn't be the criteria. If you think he is too old for the list, leave him out, but if he is in it, rate him like everyone else. This is something that really bothered me about our own prospect-poll and i don't think it's good that the HF-staff seems to take the same approach. I'm a big McNabb-fan but having him over Enroth (and to some extent Gragnani) is just wrong and i also don't think Pysyk should be ahead of Jhonas. But i guess those two guys are still young and you can project your hopes on them, while Enroth and Gragnani are too old and safe.
I agree with how they dealt with Foligno. Normally he shouldn't be downgraded after the season he had, but his rating was way too high last year so it's reasonable that they took him down a bit. I think even 6,5 is a reach but i'm okay with it. Don't like the Tropp downgrade but his last rating was too high as well, so nothing wrong with that.
It may be that Enroth did not dominate yet again at the AHL level and was generally outplayed by Leggio that has taken some of the bloom off that rose. Yes, he won them games, important ones too, but he did not do it in spectacular fashion -- his GAA and save percentages weren't all that great. In the face of that, it appears others have passed him at least in terms of grading.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
I think Enroth is precisely where he should be. I wouldn't have voted for Enroth in our summer poll until #6. As Chain mentioned, he was outplayed by Leggio while both were in Portland. His career AHL SV% of .914 over three seasons--two of which were spent with 100-point teams--doesn't exactly scream top-end netminder, IMO. I think he'll be an above-average NHL backup in the short-term, but I'm not sure he'll ever amount to a full-time starter in the NHL.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote