HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Washington Capitals 2011-12 Projections

Old
08-17-2011, 09:41 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I would love a big shakeup in our top two lines like Millhaus proposes. Those two lines and rationale makes sense to me. Knuble doesnt need to be a top line winger all year to do his thing come playoff time. Lets try a new approach. Ovi does not NEED to be with Nick and we all know this. Green does not have to be with Sarge. Carlson does not need to be with Alzner; but we can run that a ton and win, but why all year. They certainly make for logical lines or pairs. But also for predictability, and makes adjustments more like desperate moves when the adversity injuries aka the playoffs start. There are far too many other logical lines and pairs that can be put together to ignore them all year.

Change it up Bruce. Its a long season, dont wait to try something new when backed into a corner.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Brave Sir Robin

vCash: 500
Yes, Knuble no longer has the legs to keep up with AO. Brouwer was mainly used as a LW by the Hawks, and he's currently listed as a RW on the official Caps website. Combined with the fact that we gave up a 1st rounder for him, to me is a strong indication that he's groomed to take over for Knuble on the top line.

Regarding Johansson, I don't like him on the top line. He doesn't have the all around game to be a 1C, especially since Ovi pretty much floats on defense. Not to mention that MJ is horrible at faceoffs.

Backstrom and AO have been successful on the same line in the past, so theoretically nothing prevents them from doing so again. BB has to find a way to make it work again. It's a bit counterproductive to have a 6.7 mil center playing 2nd line minutes, while having a 2nd year 26 pt guy as your 1C.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:09 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Good catch that we list Brouwer as a RW. But it just doesnt make full sense to me. If true, that tells me Laich is at wing, and Sjogren or Beagle will be at center, and probably moving up Halpern. I then see a shortage of TOI for a decent RW. To play along, I dump Ward down onto 4. Will Knuble be our 4RW?

Ovi Nick Brew
Laich MJ Semin
Chimera Halpern Knuble
Hendricks Sjogren Ward

it should be noted that Laich is listed as a center.

Old
08-17-2011, 10:13 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Good catch that we list Brouwer as a RW. But it just doesnt make full sense to me. If true, that tells me Laich is at wing, and Sjogren or Beagle will be at center, and probably moving up Halpern. I then see a shortage of TOI for a decent RW. To play along, I dump Ward down onto 4. Will Knuble be our 4RW?

Ovi Nick Brew
Laich MJ Semin
Chimera Halpern Knuble
Hendricks Sjogren Ward
If Brouwer's a RW, I see Semin moving back to LW. Semin-MJ-Knuble. Personally not a big fan of that, what with Knuble being ponderously slow and Johansson being fast.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
If Brouwer's a RW, I see Semin moving back to LW. Semin-MJ-Knuble. Personally not a big fan of that, what with Knuble being ponderously slow and Johansson being fast.
Even if Semin moves to LW, it can still be Semin - MJ - Laich.

Old
08-17-2011, 10:23 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I have been a fan of at least trying Semin at LW. Tell Ovi to be more disciplined and get off the ice like other NHL'ers do on line changes league wide.

I am not sold on MJ + Semin. God mode sure, I could be his center. Otherwise, too damn soft. I hope MJ shows up with an extra 10 pounds of muscle and proves me wrong, of course.

Ovi Nick Semin not working consistently is almost at the root of what is wrong with this team. Why does that line fail, and why cant Bruce or George address it? IMO, if that line cannot work, it must be addressed. And is pointless to turn to it late in games. A fine example that sets.

Old
08-17-2011, 10:25 AM
txpd

knuble is not there to keep up. thats a falisy in this going on for more than a year now. knuble's job is to create traffic and finish in the paint. he is there to retrieve loose pucks and play defensively responsible. he's there to provide a veteran steady hand.

he's not there to play run and gun hockey and he never has been. he has always been slow. a main reason why he doesnt get moved in the paint when wacking a way at loose rubber is because he a dump truck.

brouwer may well get some good first line minutes, but when the games count 22 is going to be there. its why he has a contract and a sweater.

lastly, for a guy as slow as knuble is he is involved in a lot of two on one scoring plays anyway.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Ovi Nick Semin not working consistently is almost at the root of what is wrong with this team. Why does that line fail, and why cant Bruce or George address it? IMO, if that line cannot work, it must be addressed. And is pointless to turn to it late in games. A fine example that sets.
Another implication of Ovi-Nick-Semin struggling is the power play. What happened there? BB needs to fix it, and fast.

Old
08-17-2011, 11:01 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Even Strength:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Knuble
Brouwer-Laich-Semin
Chimera-Johansson-Ward
Hendricks-Halpern-Beagle
Sjogren
King

Hamrlik-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Erskine-Wideman
Schultz

Vokoun
Neuvirth

PP1
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Laich
Hamrlik-Green

PP2
Semin-Johansson-Knuble
Wideman-Carlson

PK1
Laich-Johansson
Alzner-Carlson

PK2
Backstrom-Ward
Hamrlik-Green

I'm hesitant to slot in Sjogren for any real contribution until we see him in training camp and preseason. He could easily supplant Chimera on 3, Beagle on 4, or work his way into the PK rotation.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Caps give Ward a tryout in the top six on the right side, and bump Knuble to the third line, for a while. I seem to remember McPhee talking Ward up as a player for the top six in July.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to see the Caps give Ward a tryout in the top six on the right side, and bump Knuble to the third line, for a while. I seem to remember McPhee talking Ward up as a player for the top six in July.
He's too slow I think, but maybe he's what ovi and backy need with his willingness to go to the dirty area's.

Ward digs deep in the corner to find the puck, rims it to Backy then over to Ovi.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 12:53 PM
txpd

i fully expect to see brouwer and ward and laich all taking turns on the caps 1RW. again this season knuble's minutes are going to be managed and i'd expect him to miss some games with a ding or two.

brouwer and ward are new players to the group and it makes perfect sense that boudreau is going to want to see what they can do higher in the lineup. knuble's age plays right into that.

one of the things i was noticing late in the season and in the playoffs with the chemistry that johansson and knuble had. this was true at even strenth and on the penalty kill. it will be interesting to see how that might effect what they do with brouwer and ward.

i doubt that ward is any slower than knuble and i dont think his speed or lack of it will keep him from getting some games with ov

Old
09-08-2011, 10:50 PM
RaindanceMaggie

here's my lines regardless of position

A.Ovechkin M.Johansson T.Brouwer
J.Ward N.Backstrom A.Semin
M.Knuble B.Laich J.Chimera
M.Hendricks J.Halpern J.Beagle

J.Carlson K.Alzner
M.Green D.Wideman
R.Hamrlik J.Erskine

T.Vokoun
M.Neuvirth
B.Holtby

RaindanceMaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:28 AM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Can't wait till Kuznetsov jumps on the 1st line with OV and Backstrom.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:39 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

surprised to see that many posters think Schultz will be out 7th dman. not gonna happen

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:30 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Can't wait till Kuznetsov jumps on the 1st line with OV and Backstrom.
i'd be surprised if that was the plan. somebody has to be the puck getter/retriever. thats what knuble does. what laich does with semin.

Old
09-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i'd be surprised if that was the plan. somebody has to be the puck getter/retriever. thats what knuble does. what laich does with semin.
I don't really think that would have to be the case. There have been plenty of scoring lines without a mucker in the corners.

With that much skill, it might just be a matter of who is going to retrieve the puck out of the back of the net.

I'm not sure that it is a layup that he plays on a line with them, but if those three played together, they would have the puck pretty often whetehr they had a mucker or not.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:36 AM
txpd

i dont see a significant difference between semin playing with 8 and 19 and the potential of kuznetsov. the main reason 8 19 28 doesnt stay together is because it doesnt work for the long term. id think it would be very similar with the kid.

Old
09-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Bure

Nice to see ovi skating with the kids, they must have been pumped.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Halpysback

Brouwer played with Toews and Kane IIRC so he can play LW to some extent, though from what I've seen of the hawks he's noticeably better on the right. I think we got him as an insurance policy for the top line in case no one steps up as a Knuble type player for the future, as he's at the very least closest we have to Knuble right now and Ovechkin could use a hitter on his line as well. Knuble's also has some chemistry with Johansson and Johansson is a noticeably better playmaker than Laich, so I could see something like this -

Ovechkin Backstrom Brouwer
Semin Johansson Knuble
Chimera Laich Ward (most expensive shutdown line ever)
Hendricks Halpern Beagle

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 02:19 AM
Brave Sir Robin

I see Laich and Johansson alternating between 2C and 3C, depending on their performance and the overall chemistry of the 2nd line. If Sjogren does make the team, I expect him to see some time at 3C, as a try out.

Old
09-12-2011, 07:00 AM
txpd

while i think its possible tht johansson will get a little time at 3c, i think its more likely that he bounces back and forth between 1c and 2c than 2c and 3c. i also think that laich's primary work will be done at 3c and 2LW. laich is not a playmaker. is much better suited for a set of wingers that are cut out for dump and chase than a player like semin.

it interesting that the team has talked like halpern is locked in at 4c, but somehow i think thats just for public consumption. the idea that a rookie like sjogren gets the 3rd line minutes while halpern picks up the leftover 4th line time doesnt add up.

Old
09-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Millhaus

Yeah I could definitely see the Laich at center thing failing and I definitely feel Halpern has a lot more offensive talent than your typical 4th line centerman so if they do decide Laich at center isn't working out moving Halpern to 3C seems like an obvious option.

So yeah if at some point this coming season we see something like below I won't be surprised.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Knuble
Laich-Johansson-Semin
Brouwer-Halpern/Perreault-Ward
Chimera-Halpern/Sjogren/Beagle-Hendricks

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote