HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

I know it's early, but this team reminds me

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2005, 10:28 PM
8snake

vCash: 500
I know it's early, but this team reminds me

of the Wings teams I loved from the mid-to-late 90's. The Wings forwards collectively have MUCH better team speed than at any time the last 5 or 6 years. There is not nearly as much skill or experience on this team as there has been the last 4 years, but the blend is reminiscent of the gritty 97-98 Cup teams. Last playoff run, Detroit looked a step behind Nashville, and two steps behind Calgary. Tonight, it looked like two good skating teams, one with a little more skill. It feels good to know the Wings can skate with the Flames, Oilers, and Nashville's instead of just relying on smarts and veteran savvy that has obviously not been enough the last several years.

Old
10-09-2005, 10:51 PM
JacksonGalaxy

Definitely. I think they may be even more gritty and speedy than they were in the late 90s as well.

Gotta give big props to Mike Babcock. I really enjoy seeing Detroit play under this fast paced, energy-driven system. Not only is it more exciting but I feel it's way more effective than that free-flowing la-de-dah garbage Lewis had been running for the past two seasons.

I'm beginning to think that even though last year's team was obviously more talented (on paper), this season's team is more effective and is, consequently, a "better" team overall.. Anyone else agree with me there?

All I know is I'm really enjoying watching Detroit play this season.. Not sure if it was just the year and a half-ish without them but I just think they're much more enjoyable than in the past few seasons.

Old
10-09-2005, 10:56 PM
doublejack

If there was a best of seven series between this years team and last years, I think this years would win in five games. Despite losing Dandenault the speed is way up this year and the difference is so visible.

Old
10-09-2005, 11:14 PM
8snake

Agree with both of you

Just the increased tempo makes this team more effective, especially come playoff time. Jack, no question this Wings team would have little trouble with the '03 team. C.Planet...i had to laugh when you mentioned Lewis and the "Soviet Style" play-with-the-puck, patty cake foolishness the last few years. There was no forecheck, no banging...except from the Grind Line, which is likely why they were so beloved.

Old
10-10-2005, 12:11 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
The puck possesion is worse than the late 90's

Old
10-10-2005, 06:05 AM
Yorick

Babcock is a big improvement on Lewis. I am not sure that STL and CAG are top teams though. The Wings are scoring much easier than I expected, but they are allowing some goals too. I guess it is partially the new rules. The team adapted to them in a quite cost effective way.

Closed Thread