HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you guys think is standing out after these first two games

Old
09-12-2011, 09:58 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
MZA scored at a .5 PPG clip last year IN THE NHL, and has dominated the SEL. Not to mention he's also scored at almost a PPG clip in the AHL.

If I have to say who has an NHL career, it's MZA.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Christian Thomas has NHL hands right now. that's one thing that really stood out to me in the 2 games....man that kid is going to be REAL good.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:15 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I agree. His strength and possession are impressive given his age in this tournament.

Im glad people get to see him play now. Because I felt like one of only few who loved the pick.

This tournament is good for him. Make him realize he can play against Pro caliber players. Its good for his confidence. He should have a big year in Plymouth.
This is a step up for Miller--the creativity part will probably come in time. I think he's feeling his way a bit. Actually I think all the 18 year olds are feeling their way. Miller has shown the best of his age group. McColgan next. The way the big team is constructed I think it's going to take Miller at least two years and he may have to shift to wing to do it then. In the next year or two I expect we'll see the departures of Avery, Christensen, Fedotenko and possibly Wolski, MZA. We'll know about Weise and have a better idea about how Hagelin fits in. I see Kreider in the Rangers plans ahead of both Miller and Hagelin. And ahead of Thomas. Other prospects in the mix should be Yogan, Fasth, Bourque (if he can stay healthy) and Lindberg. Fogarty possibly further down the road. These are all potentially core players. McColgan might be in there as well.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Christian Thomas has NHL hands right now. that's one thing that really stood out to me in the 2 games....man that kid is going to be REAL good.
and NHL shot and NHL skating

Whether he has NHL size and NHL ability to use his skating, shot, and hands are the big questions

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:20 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Erixon is obviously on a different level. Thomas has amazing hands. Bourque really sees the ice well. I think Parlett skates well and has a good feel for when to jump in the play.

Been slightly disappointed with Yogan. Seems to have the size and skill but have not been thrilled with his compete level.

09-12-2011, 10:26 AM
PizzaSteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
MZA scored at a .5 PPG clip last year IN THE NHL, and has dominated the SEL. Not to mention he's also scored at almost a PPG clip in the AHL.

Most overlooked player on the Rangers. It seems that there is an unspoken consensus that MZA is not going to progress anymore, even though this is his first season in America. I think people get hung up on age and make generalizations on whether a player can progress anymore. Kind of like an NHL video game syndrome. I scratch my head often, because he is usually written off, but he had a great first season, as you alluded to.

PizzaSteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:55 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

I'm very high on Thomas long term, but it seems he is still a little raw. and will easily be handled by NHL level talent.

I see no harm in sending him back to Oshawa, not only to prove last year wasn't a fluke, but as a senior player let him take on team leadership & accountability roles as well, which to me, in a "bigger picture" view, will create a better player for us in the next couple years as he grows into his adult body making him that much more dangerous as a top 6 player sprung into the league when his time comes.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post

People like to gloss over that he had an outstanding rookie year and scored at almost the same clip as Stepan.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:20 AM
WeWillWinTonight

I liked Hagelin and Erixon.

Hope somebody makes the team off this roster. It would most likely be the ones I mentioned

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Erixon has been unreal. I am so excited about him. Our depth at LD is a little... excessive.

Staal
McDonagh
Erixon
Del Zotto
Valentenko

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Noonansgoal

Thomas' playmaking ability has really surpised/impressed me thus far. It's a facet of his game I wasn't expecting to see, and is encouraging because even if the pucks aren't going in for him he can still be imposing as a threat with his speed. Some of his curls have been explosive and he's created some great opportunities out of almost nothing with great passes in the offensive zone by drawing opponents to him, using his shiftiness and dishing to the open man.

Keep in mind we really haven't even sampled that one-timer yet either.

I like Bourque's game as well, his passion and speed, but he isn't a natural goal scorer and for his size you need to bury the kinds of opportunities he's been getting in order to make it to the next level.

I'm absolutely rooting for him though, great kid, great attitude.

Noonansgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:47 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
and NHL shot and NHL skating

Whether he has NHL size and NHL ability to use his skating, shot, and hands are the big questions
I have a friend who knows hockey who said he thought Thomas would make it out of camp this year. I disagreed, and still do, but definitely understand what he sees. A little more seasoning and bringing everything together for me.

nyranger61494 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:54 AM
gotmonte

I think Bourque is playing out of his mind. Looks really good. BUT! I think he is easily knocked off the puck and I dont think he will have a good NHL career. LORD KNOWS I HOPE I AM WRONG, But I honestly see him as a very fast but unstable player. When he makes explosive moves around players he is not standing up. He plays like a lacrosse player does, in the fashion of if you are going around a player with speed you get a lower stance of gravity, lean into the player, put your arm that is closest to the player out so you can "shield" yourself away from them.

Problem with this is in the NHL the defenseman will just push u over. If he was a big kid with tree trunk legs, he could get away with it. But he leans too much and can be easily bowled over.

Again I am no talent scout. I am just stating what I SEE. I might be wrng and I HOPE I AM!

besides Bourque, I like Erixon and I like Haglin. I REALLY like Haglin. I think he is taking this tournament by the balls and running with it. He wants to make the club. He is out of options in my opinion and I think he knows this. If he doesnt make the team this year I think his potential trade value will be at its highest with his strong play in this competition. So if he doesnt make the club but plays well in the training camp, look to Sather on a trade.

JUST MY OPINION. But you asked

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:59 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I love Erixon's "shoot first and ask questions later" attitude. Whenever he has a lane it seems like he's getting shots on net, whether that slappers or low wristers. Looks like there might actually be some competition for the PP point spots this season, as opposed to the merry-go-round we had last year.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I have a hard time listing Erixon as a "stand out" because, frankly, I expected him to be this good. Not because I consider myself an authority on his game, but because this is at least a couple, if not several, notches down for him in terms of level of competition. It's 18-21 y/o kids, and he's coming off a very good season in what could be considered the second or third best league in the world. That's not to say I'm displeased with what he's done, I just think people are forgetting the level of competition as a barometer.

Thomas and Bourque have been very good, but again, they're guys that I really expected to be dominant. Both will need to bulk up before they can make the transition to the NHL, but the rest of their respective games look polished.

For me, the standouts have been Andrew Yogan and Blake Parlett.

While Parlett is subject to the same "level of play" analysis I gave to Erixon, I think Parlett is a few notches down in terms of his experience and has certainly opened a lot of eyes in these first two games. Very smooth skater, great on his edges, and most importantly, makes timely decisions as to when he should jump into the play or lead the rush out of the zone. Very cerebral in his ability to read the play defensively as well.

Yogan has been what I was hoping he would be: A big body who can read the play and make space for himself in scoring areas, and a guy who will work hard along the boards on the forecheck. I think he obviously has a size advantage, but he was very effective against some of the bigger d-men he's faced thus far. I think he's guilty of trying to be too fancy when he's looking to make a pass, but I like the way he finds holes in the slot to generate chances. I also think he's been taking a few shifts off and I'd like to see him be more consistent from shift to shift. Regardless, I'm expecting good things from him this year.

Some other guys I've been pleasantly surprised with are Wilson and JAM. I've also think McNaught is a decent skater for an enforcer, so that should work in his favor.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

both rangers goalies played very well, and, imho, both outplayed 2 goalies with significantly more impressive resumes.

Old
09-12-2011, 12:54 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Bourque, Audy-Marchessault, and Erixon, Parlett, and Hagelin have been the most effective players, IMO. McColgan has made a handful of impressive offensive plays, particularly his goal last night. They clearly look like they have experience of playing in top leagues. Far and away the most mentally prepared.

McIlrath has made a couple of good plays, but made more than a couple of absolutely dreadful ones, both with and without the puck. J.T. Miller has not played well, either. He reminds me of Dubinsky at his best...and at his worst. I was fine with the Miller selection, though, and this isn't souring me on it. It's just a couple of games. St. Croix has been very ineffective offensively for a guy with his talent.

Wilson has been all right, Yogan has been all right (needs to learn to use his size a little bit better). Thomas has been a little disappointing. His play in Juniors is usually more polished. You can clearly see flashes of what he can do, however. Ceresnak is a very raw player.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

im not really sure how anyone can be super disappointed in Thomas' play. really if his teammates could finish he'd have like 6 assists in 2 games.

Old
09-12-2011, 01:25 PM
E Nixson