HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Traverse City Tournament: Day 2

Old
09-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Rangers Traverse City Tournament: Day 2

This evening, the Rangers beat Dallas, one of the better teams in Traverse City, by a score of 6-2. But to be honest, the game was much closer than the score–until the third period, that is. The Blueshirts jumped out to a 3-1 lead during the first period, with “veteran” netminder Scott Stajcer holding off [...]

More...

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Wouldn't the rangers play for the championship regardless of the outcome on tuesday? At worst, we end up 2-1 and that's the best record Dallas could have if they win their game. We'd then have the tiebreaker (head to head). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Samuel Noreau was bad vs St Louis? really I don't notice that at all Leslie can you please point out what was bad about his game that night?

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Wouldn't the rangers play for the championship regardless of the outcome on tuesday? At worst, we end up 2-1 and that's the best record Dallas could have if they win their game. We'd then have the tiebreaker (head to head). Correct me if I'm wrong.
It was my understanding that it was be decided by goals for and against, but I will check that out today.

Old
09-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Samuel Noreau was bad vs St Louis? really I don't notice that at all Leslie can you please point out what was bad about his game that night?
Defensive play is the hardest thing to follow on television, because it often happens away from the puck. Several times, particularly in the first period, Noreau was just flat out beaten by the opposition shooter. He got much better in the second game.

Old
09-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Ceresnak and Noreau both have made McIlrath look quick on his feet so far.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:48 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
It was my understanding that it was be decided by goals for and against, but I will check that out today.
If goal differential is the deciding factor then the Rangers should have no problem getting into the final. Currently they are at a +7 to Dallas'+2 and the Blues'-2.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Defensive play is the hardest thing to follow on television, because it often happens away from the puck. Several times, particularly in the first period, Noreau was just flat out beaten by the opposition shooter. He got much better in the second game.
You'd see that on TV

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:53 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
That's to be expected with these real big younger players. That is the price many players who grow that much pay when they are younger. If Ceresnak or Noreau moved like a 6'0 defenseman they would have been taken much higher. It's all about projecting and getting them to train properly to increase their footspeed as they get older.

That is part of the reason McIlrath was taken so high. He may not be as fast or quick RIGHT NOW as Fowler or Gormely but he has more room to grow because footspeed and speed are things that normally come with time for a player of his size.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:00 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
I think McIlrath's skating is what has impressed me most about him.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
You'd see that on TV
It was not supposed to be one sentence. You can't see positioning away from the puck. And he was beaten several times by the shooter.

Old
09-12-2011, 12:19 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I thought McIlrath had a much better/stronger Game 2.... He moved the puck efficiently in the defensive zone, broke up a handful of plays with his stickwork and blocked a few shots... Jumped up into the rush on 2 occasions and looked pretty comfortable.... I like that he engaged in that fight because he said the player was targeting/picking on some of the smaller guys on the team... Would like to see him throw the body around a bit more than we've seen....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I think McIlrath's skating is what has impressed me most about him.
Yeah, he's not very agile but he's definitely not slow.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Honestly, I think the stuff that was shown on TV was enough to give him a poor grade in his first game. He was better defensively in the 2nd game in terms of his reads and his positioning, but his decision making with the puck will need to come a long way before I can consider him a viable prospect as a bottom pairing d-man.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:33 PM
eco's bones

Erixon and Parlett are the two d that have given both St. Louis and Dallas fits. Capable of great outlet passes--including stretch passes and also capable of carrying the mail and making plays crossing into the offensive end. McIlrath hasn't been bad at this either--he's just not on the same level. He and Noreau are relatively the same size with the same demeanor but McIlrath is the better skater and he's got a lot more poise with the puck. Noreau IMO has been a bit over his head in this tournament. At this point in his development he needs to keep things as simple as possible--use his body when he can and make safe plays. He's just not on the same level as Erixon, Parlett or McIlrath--in part due to level of experience and in part due to talent. He is at least 3-4 years away at best.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

mcilrath is sure as hell an intimidating physical presnce out there though...he beat the ever loving hell outta that stars player, and the kid hits very very hard...i think he's going to be a Ranger, but I do think it's going to take him a lot longer than ppl expect. im thinking he will be in a ranger uniform in 3-4 years, not the 1-2 most ppl seem to be penciling him in for.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 01:21 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Love Erixon, Parlett, and McIlrath so far. I went on record in other threads stating the Erixon's ability to make good outlet passes and join the play from time to time has been underrated, but he's playing far better offensively than even I thought he would. Granted it's against other prospects, but Erixon has done this against men. I really think Erixon could make the team out of camp.

Parlett is a great skater and has is a great passer. Hearing Gernander talk about him putting passes through people not being an accident and then seeing the way he passes the puck and moves it with such poise is great.

McIlrath's skating has improved big time, and he looks better with the puck as well. It's amazing how nasty of a presence he is back there. Dallas played much differently without him back there compared to when he was back there.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
mcilrath is sure as hell an intimidating physical presnce out there though...he beat the ever loving hell outta that stars player, and the kid hits very very hard...i think he's going to be a Ranger, but I do think it's going to take him a lot longer than ppl expect. im thinking he will be in a ranger uniform in 3-4 years, not the 1-2 most ppl seem to be penciling him in for.

Pretty sure McIlrath will get into at least some action next season, 2012-13. It may not be full time, but I think he'll get into a few game when injuries hit. By 2013-14, he'll be a full-time Ranger. Maybe out of camp, maybe by All Star break, but he will establish himself as a full time NHLer in 2 to 2.5 years.

Also, Parlett looked phenomenal so far. A man among boys. Granted that he is already 22, so it may just be his age, but I am really looking forward to seeing what he can do in preseason against older competition. His stock has definitely risen over the weekend. Nobody regarded him as a prospect 48 hours ago, and suddenly he's one of the guys to watch in preseason.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Pretty sure McIlrath will get into at least some action next season, 2012-13. It may not be full time, but I think he'll get into a few game when injuries hit. By 2013-14, he'll be a full-time Ranger. Maybe out of camp, maybe by All Star break, but he will establish himself as a full time NHLer in 2 to 2.5 years.

Also, Parlett looked phenomenal so far. A man among boys. Granted that he is already 22, so it may just be his age, but I am really looking forward to seeing what he can do in preseason against older competition. His stock has definitely risen over the weekend. Nobody regarded him as a prospect 48 hours ago, and suddenly he's one of the guys to watch in preseason.
i just dont see McIlrath having the positioning or mental game in 2 years to oust one of our better kids. i mean, you have to figure in 2 years Erixon, Staal, Sauer, McD, and Girardi will all be mainstays...and i'd be shocked if MDZ isn't so who is he going to oust? will be interesting to say the least.

Old
09-12-2011, 01:32 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
i just dont see McIlrath having the positioning or mental game in 2 years to oust one of our better kids. i mean, you have to figure in 2 years Erixon, Staal, Sauer, McD, and Girardi will all be mainstays...and i'd be shocked if MDZ isn't so who is he going to oust? will be interesting to say the least.
I think the Rangers will be making trades in the next 1-2 years that may surprise some people. I don't foresee all 6 of those players still around.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

If he's ready to play, they will move Girardi for a forward. If Erixon and Del Zotto are both ready, they can move McDonagh for a forward.

Offering Girardi, McDonagh and the better one of Zuccarello/Wolski can get us a hell of a wing.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 01:46 PM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

Quote:
If he's ready to play, they will move Girardi for a forward. If Erixon and Del Zotto are both ready, they can move McDonagh for a forward.

Offering Girardi, McDonagh and the better one of Zuccarello/Wolski can get us a hell of a wing.
McD will be manning the blue line for us for the next 15+ years; he ain't going nowhere...the kid is gonna be a star. I consider him the least likely to be moved after Staal.

McSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Defenseman>>>>>Wingers

im not looking to move any of our defenseman.in 3 years Girardi will be what...30? then might be the time to move him, as his style of play (blocking lots of shots) will make him more of a 34-35 year old type player due to deterioration.

Old
09-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:

Move McDonagh?? R u freakin kidding me! The guy is an absolute stud and nxt to Sauer, is our best "D man" positionally and from the standpoint of reading plays. He isn't going anywhere, trust me and neither is Sauer. He's also hands down the best skater amongst all our "D-men" and is the most physical as well.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 02:58 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

Ahem. SOME of us were voting for him in our prospect poll several slots ahead of where he eventually placed.

(Then again, I also was arguing to rank Bourque several slots below where he eventually placed, so maybe I should shut up.)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote