HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Oilers Facelift

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 10:36 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
Edmonton Oilers Facelift

For those of you who follow along, you know that Tommy Salo has allowed 4/21 and 5/19= 9 goals on his last 40 shots in approx. 75 minutes of play. I truly feel that he can no longer be an effective goalie for this team, unfortunately, his worth is diminishing by the shot on net. me thinks we gotta unload this siv before his GAA starts looking like a batting average.

We all know the Mike Comrie saga, so it needs no build-up.

Eric Brewer seems to be stuck in potential mode, and IMO has been the Oilers worst defenceman this year.

Brad Isbister is making a living based on 1 game against Dallas last year, what has he done since?

These four guys (eventhough i like comrie) should be on the chopping block right now.

Salo-4.5 mil
Comrie-1.5 mil (estimated)
Brewer-2.5 mil
Isbister-1.9
=10.4 million dollars

for a penny pinching team, this seems like alot of money to be throwing away. (on 3 of the teams biggest dissapointments and Comrie)

here's what i would do if i had the power to do it...

Salo and Isbister to Carolina for K. Weekes (2.35 mil) and a 2nd rounder. {savings= +4.05 mil}

Comrie to Washington for Bondra and a 5th rounder. Washington said theyd eat some of there guyses contracts so we can probably get Bondra for about 3.5 mil. {savings= -2 mil}

Brewer and Chimera to Pittsburg for R. Abid (450,000), D. Tarnstrom (1.1 mil), and a 2nd rounder. {savings= +1.45 mil.}

These transactions will save us 3.5 mil that can be used to dip in the free agency pool and sign A. Oates with money to spare.

then send down Pisani (I like the guy but id like him even more in a roadrunners jersey.)

so...

IN- OUT-
G-K. Weekes G- Salo
LW- P. Bondra LW- Isbister
LW- R. Abid LW- Chimera
D- D. Tarnstrom D- Brewer
C- A. Oates C- Comrie

new and improved lineup...

F
P.Bondra-R.Smyth-A.Hemsky
R.Abid-A.Oates-R.Dvorak
E.Moreau-M.Reasoner-M.York
R.Torres-S.Horcoff-G.Laraque

D
Staois-Tarnstrom
Cross-Smith
Ferguson-Semenov/Bergeron

G
K.Weekes
T.Conklin

ok, so maybe when i wake up in the morning I will regret this post, but we've allowed 12 goals in 2 games, and the draft picks will add up quickly.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:40 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
For those of you who follow along, you know that Tommy Salo has allowed 4/21 and 5/19= 9 goals on his last 40 shots in approx. 75 minutes of play. I truly feel that he can no longer be an effective goalie for this team, unfortunately, his worth is diminishing by the shot on net. me thinks we gotta unload this siv before his GAA starts looking like a batting average.

Eric Brewer seems to be stuck in potential mode, and IMO has been the Oilers worst defenceman this year.

Brad Isbister is making a living based on 1 game against Dallas last year, what has he done since?

These four guys (eventhough i like comrie) should be on the chopping block right now.

Salo-4.5 mil
Brewer-2.5 mil
Isbister-1.9
=10.4 million dollars

for a penny pinching team, this seems like alot of money to be throwing away. (on 3 of the teams biggest dissapointments and Comrie)

Salo and Isbister to Carolina for K. Weekes (2.35 mil) and a 2nd rounder. {savings= +4.05 mil}

Comrie to Washington for Bondra and a 5th rounder. Washington said theyd eat some of there guyses contracts so we can probably get Bondra for about 3.5 mil. {savings= -2 mil}

Brewer and Chimera to Pittsburg for R. Abid (450,000), D. Tarnstrom (1.1 mil), and a 2nd rounder. {savings= +1.45 mil.}

These transactions will save us 3.5 mil that can be used to dip in the free agency pool and sign A. Oates with money to spare.

then send down Pisani (I like the guy but id like him even more in a roadrunners jersey.)

so...

IN- OUT-
G-K. Weekes G- Salo
LW- R. Abid LW- Chimera
C- A. Oates

F
R.Abid-A.Oates-R.Dvorak

D
Staois-Tarnstrom
Cross-Smith

G
K.Weekes
T.Conklin

ok, so maybe when i wake up in the morning I will regret this post, but we've allowed 12 goals in 2 games.
Wow, your a genius.

If only it was that easy

Old
10-23-2003, 10:45 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

it is that easy, all i do is type and these amazing trades appear, lol.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:51 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
my mistake. In correction:
If only it was that easy in real life as it is for Mowzie to type it.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:54 PM
Luoma

Salo gets 3.9 mil..according to hockey news. Still more then my bar tab..

Quote:

Salo-4.5 mil
Brewer-2.5 mil
Isbister-1.9
=10.4 million dollars

so...

IN- OUT-
G-K. Weekes G- Salo
LW- R. Abid LW- Chimera
C- A. Oates C- Comrie

F
R.Abid-A.Oates-R.Dvorak

D
Staois-Tarnstrom
Cross-Smith

G
K.Weekes
T.Conklin

ok, so maybe when i wake up in the morning I will regret this post, but we've allowed 12 goals in 2 games, and the draft picks will add up quickly.

Old
10-23-2003, 11:03 PM
Cerebral

Wowzers.. I love this place after an Oiler victory but it sure is scary after a couple losses. I personally felt Tommy has looked fairly strong for most of the season and has only blundered last game and on a couple goals today! I still think Tommy is the goalie for this team and shouldn't be shipped out (definitely not for Weekes..). Likewise, the reason why potential + Brewer are always mixed together is because he is only 24 years old! He was I believe +1 with 3 points through his first six games till tonight.. granted stats don't say as much as some people try to point out but he wasn't playing terribly. In regards to your trade, Bondra is old and I certainly wouldn't want to rent him at the expense of Comrie; Tarnstrom is not nearly as strong a d-man as his stats represent and he only puts up that many points because he has Mario on the PP.. a number one pairing with Tarnstrom is downright ugly; Abid can not skate nearly well enough to play with the Oilers.. while Torres and Isbister have decent skating ability, Ramsi certainly doesn't. While I do agree that we have some players making too much money, these deals don't help us at all.. I still like Isbister and think he will start scoring after he gets a place beside Smyth and Hemsky on the top line. Likewise, I wouldn't even deal a budding star (yes it's been said a lot but I'll say it again!) in Brewer for Tarnstrom, Abid and a 2nd rounder combined! At this point, the only guy that should be packing his bags is Comrie and possibly Chimera..

Old
10-23-2003, 11:17 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

ok, so maybe im over reacting. but potential doesnt win you stanley cups, potential gives you nothing but the potential to win stanley cups. every year we get younger and younger, we aren't gonna be able to play on school nights pretty soon. we dont have a winners mentality here in edmonton, and it pains me to say it, but its true. we have a survivors mentality, not a winners mentality.

Old
10-23-2003, 11:27 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
every year we get younger and younger, we aren't gonna be able to play on school nights pretty soon.
Heh that's actually pretty funny! At the moment, the Oilers are only playing to survive until a new CBA agreement can be reached that will either save or break the Oilers. I don't think we can possibly make a series of moves this season that will turn us into a Stanley Cup contender.. however, a core of Brewer + Hemsky + Smyth + York + Semenov might just be able to turn the corner if a favorable CBA agreement is reached. There is no way K-Lowe will deal Brewer unless someone vastly overpays.. while he hasn't gotten there yet, he oozes potential and is still a few years away from reaching his prime.

Old
10-23-2003, 11:30 PM
OYLer

Hey Wowzer,

Goalies survive and endure,

Defensemen defend and ensure,
Forwards attack and conquer.

Thus Defeat is in Retreat!

Old
10-24-2003, 11:18 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
ok, so maybe im over reacting. but potential doesnt win you stanley cups, potential gives you nothing but the potential to win stanley cups. every year we get younger and younger, we aren't gonna be able to play on school nights pretty soon. we dont have a winners mentality here in edmonton, and it pains me to say it, but its true. we have a survivors mentality, not a winners mentality.
yes you're overreacting. Winners huh? How is Bondra a winner? What has he won? What about Oates? Has he won anything? Nada. And to pick up these guys when they're old and getting older in replace of young kids in our organization? Sorry, not a good idea. I would much rather have the perpetual "Young Oilers" than the "Old Capitals" club or worse yet, the "Old and Overpaid Rangers" club.

Old
10-24-2003, 11:48 AM
Pandastyle

Send a message via AIM to Pandastyle
Just my opinion, but I don't think neither Bondra nor Oates nor Tarnstrom are the answers for Edmonton.

Bondra and Oates may work for this year, but what about the future, they're not exactly young and Edmonton isn't exactly "Cup" ready. IMO, taking on seasoned veterans at the expense of youth is always a mistake unless it's for a Cup run. Plus, I think it's a bit early to be giving up on Isbister though I agree he has shown little to instill hope.

And Tarnstrom is overrated I think. I don't think he'd have nearly as much success for the Oil as he did feeding Lemieux in Pittsburgh.

Old
10-24-2003, 12:00 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
IN- OUT-
G-K. Weekes G- Salo
LW- R. Abid LW- Chimera
C- A. Oates C- Comrie

F
R.Abid-A.Oates-R.Dvorak

D
Staois-Tarnstrom
Cross-Smith

G
K.Weekes
T.Conklin
improved lineup? the only way that lineup is an improvement over the current lineup is if the team goal is to draft ovechkin in the summer.

Closed Thread