HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LED or Plasma

Old
09-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Dr_oil

vCash: 500
LED or Plasma

I looked for a previous thread on this but can't find one.........

I'm on the hunt for a TV and have been doing my research. Internet, multiple stores (not just FS and BB but actual audio video stores), and there is no consensus.

It will be in a "darkish" walkout basement, used mostly by me for sports, and PS3 and the kids will be watching movies, and PS3.

I have been told the 120hz LED are a lot better for the blur than a 60hz. Is this true? Thats the big question as I have a 3 year old 52" Sony 60hz and I see the blur in hockey games. I don't want to buy a TV to see that any more.

What I've got so far......

Plasma - better blacks, no blur, better bang for the $$$$
- not as good picture, glare from background light

LED - great picture, no glare (with matte screen),
- motion blur (better with 120hz and "edge lit"), more $$$$

I was convinced to go Plasma until I see them side by side with an LED, there is an obvious difference in quality of picture with the LED.

So the question is...... does 120hz LED have motion blur still?

Dr_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Yes the 120Hz LED are by far superior that Plasmas. Plasmas are much cheaper because they are being phased out and are an inferior product.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Dr_oil

So the motion blur is gone with 120 hz? Like I said, it is visible on my 3 year old sony and I hate to pay good money just to see it again.

Old
09-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I don't notice it on the one I have. Actually it took me a bit to get used to watching TV shows and movies on the 120hz screen as all programming pretty much looks like it was shot with a handycam. Like as in everything looks live.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Dr_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I don't notice it on theone I have. Actually it took me a bit to get used to watch TV shows and movies on the 120hz screen as all programming pretty much looks like it was shot with a handycam. Like as in everything looks live.
You mean it's that clear or it's that grainy / shaky? Any handycam I've seen is poor. I presume it's simply that bright and clear. Thats what I've seen on the displays.

Do you have any glare issues off the screen, I've read the LED has issues with that, like a plasma.

Last edited by Dr_oil: 09-12-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: posted before finishing writing.
Old
09-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

I would recommend this television to anyone buying new:

http://www.sharp.ca/products/index.asp?cat=30&id=889

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 03:06 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Plasma is a lot cheaper and older, but will still likely remain relatively up-to-date with the currently used high-def inputs.

In most cases I'd suggest getting a 1080p plasma from a quality manufacturer. If you have money to spare, go for the LED.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 03:09 PM
missinthejets

something else worth taking into consideration is the background lighting where you have your tv... if you got it in a real bright room plasma may not be the best option.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Debonair

Quote:
Yes the 120Hz LED are by far superior that Plasmas. Plasmas are much cheaper because they are being phased out and are an inferior product.
Bad Advice...

LED and LCD tech is MUCH older than Plasma. Plasma generally produces more accurate colours and blacks, where as LCD and LED's save power, and preform better when in a bright room.

If you are putting this bad boy in the basement get a Plasma or even a projector, but if you're in a room with a ton of natural light, go with LED.

Also most LED TV's right now are just edge lit, meaning you don't get the full effect of LED tech. You would need a dynamic LED to get the true power of this... all most LED TV's do is allow the TV to be extremely thin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_TV

But yes... far superior to Plasma LMAO what a joke

Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Fourier

I would go with plasma in a hearttbeat. You can get a far better set for the same money. Plasma is naturally 600hz. There is no issue with motion blur.

Even on 120hz LED's blur can still happen. And not all panels at that speed are made equal.

Quote:
I really have to disagree with this. Lcd's (or equivalently LED's) have their advantages. Primarily, they are much brighter and as such tend to look better in showrooms. They also handle direct light somewhat better. But the best TV made is still the old Pioneer Elite plasma. No current LED has touched this. Pioneer did stop making plasmas, but Smasung and Panasonic are going full guns.

For the record I have both and would choose the plasma everytime in the situation you describe.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ZugNugget

I just got a new TV after a lot of research. I picked up the 51 inch Samsung PN51D6900 plasma and am incredibly happy with it. I personally had to be converted to a plasma lover after owning an LCD for 5ish years, as I was convinced LCD/LED was the best in terms of picture quality.

As per my research, the reason plasmas may look worse than LEDs side by side is because plasmas are generally darker. While they may come off as looking worse, they're more accurate colour-wise and will likely look better in a light-controlled room.

I've also read that plasmas handle motion better than LEDs and have less of a blur effect (things look more cinematic rather than everything looking like reality television). This was my main concern, and I've been pleased that my TV is free from blur (Oilers vs. Canucks looked fantastic last night.

Best of luck!

ZugNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Girth

One consideration would be burn-in on a plasma. I ruined a $3000 TV by watching 4:3 programming without zooming it in. The sides ended up being brighter than the middle. It was most noticeable while watching hockey, as most of the screen would be white. It may be my fault for not being careful, but:

a) I'd rather have the TV where you don't need to be careful.
b) The middle of the screen was darker, so obviously it deteriorated over time with full motion video.

Girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Dr_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonair View Post
Bad Advice...

LED and LCD tech is MUCH older than Plasma. Plasma generally produces more accurate colours and blacks, where as LCD and LED's save power, and preform better when in a bright room.

If you are putting this bad boy in the basement get a Plasma or even a projector, but if you're in a room with a ton of natural light, go with LED.

Also most LED TV's right now are just edge lit, meaning you don't get the full effect of LED tech. You would need a dynamic LED to get the true power of this... all most LED TV's do is allow the TV to be extremely thin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_TV

But yes... far superior to Plasma LMAO what a joke
Thank you, like I say, I'm leaning toward Plasma for the color and motion blur, but there is no denying the side by side comparison. In 2 different stores they had them side by side and the Plasma had the "screen door" affect, to some extent where as the LED looked amazing, with their video showing. I asked about showing some sports etc. but they couldn't change channels, of course.

As for the projector.... absolutely, when I finish my basement. We moved a couple years ago and I had to leave my projector behind, I dearly miss it. I have big plans when I finish this basement. I will be doing the full blown theatre room.

Old
09-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Dr_oil

As you can see, opinions vary so much on this on here and in the stores. I might be buying from the store with the best exchange policy so that if I'm not happy I simply return it and try the next one.

Old
09-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Debonair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_oil View Post
Thank you, like I say, I'm leaning toward Plasma for the color and motion blur, but there is no denying the side by side comparison. In 2 different stores they had them side by side and the Plasma had the "screen door" affect, to some extent where as the LED looked amazing, with their video showing. I asked about showing some sports etc. but they couldn't change channels, of course.

As for the projector.... absolutely, when I finish my basement. We moved a couple years ago and I had to leave my projector behind, I dearly miss it. I have big plans when I finish this basement. I will be doing the full blown theatre room.
Yeah usually LED's do much better in the side to side comparison test, but you're (usually) in bright room designed to make them look better... also the TV hasn't been calibrated yet, so keep that in mind.

I don't post often but when I see people saying that Plasma is just older tech and is completely inferior I just wanna - it's all about your situation. Sounds like Plasma looks like the better choice for you.

Either way though, you can't go wrong. If you go with the LED you'll still get a great TV. I spent $3000 on a 42" rear projection back in the day. Everything is so much cheaper now

Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girth View Post
One consideration would be burn-in on a plasma. I ruined a $3000 TV by watching 4:3 programming without zooming it in. The sides ended up being brighter than the middle. It was most noticeable while watching hockey, as most of the screen would be white. It may be my fault for not being careful, but:

a) I'd rather have the TV where you don't need to be careful.
b) The middle of the screen was darker, so obviously it deteriorated over time with full motion video.
This really is a thing of the past. You would have to work really hard to get true burn in on a current plasma. You might see mild image retention if you leave a solid image on for long periodds, but this will go away.

Old
09-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonair View Post
Yeah usually LED's do much better in the side to side comparison test, but you're (usually) in bright room designed to make them look better... also the TV hasn't been calibrated yet, so keep that in mind.

I don't post often but when I see people saying that Plasma is just older tech and is completely inferior I just wanna - it's all about your situation. Sounds like Plasma looks like the better choice for you.

Either way though, you can't go wrong. If you go with the LED you'll still get a great TV. I spent $3000 on a 42" rear projection back in the day. Everything is so much cheaper now
Where things have really become better and cheaper is with projectors!!! I'm in the process of finding a temporay replacement for my old pj. IT is amazing what you can get today for a fraction of what I paid. Brightness has also improved to the point where having a very dark room is much less an issue.

For anyone interested you really should think of a pj as a possible option.

Old
09-12-2011, 04:02 PM
pisani34

when i first moved into my house i wanted to have a nice tv on the main floor for all the watching. i did countless hours of research of each technology and its pros/cons etc.

i would do your homework first, and do alot of reading over at http://www.avsforum.com.

generally speaking, like others have said, LED/LCD will produce "brighter" and more "vibrant" colors when you're looking at them in the store, however, in store, all the sets on display are pretty much set to "vivid". They do this to catch your attention, however when you take it home and start playing some media, you may notice it really isn't the best looking picture anymore. Of course everyone says to get a professional calibration once the set is in your house, but a proper professional one is quite pricey.

Plasma's will tend to give a more natural color to everything, and they handle motion nicely. Don't pay attention to the "refresh" ratings of things, as the 600 advertised on plasma's is a different measure than those on LCD/LED. Still though, motion on plasma is much better. The contrast on plasma's is way better as well, and i LOVE playing games on my plasma. NHL 11 was awesome and im' sure 12 will be as well. Another thing to look out for on cheaper LED's and LCD's is flashlighting or hotspots. Since most LED's are edgelit to keep them slim, you might notice the corners are brighter than other areas giving an uneven brightness. Since most LED's except the high ends arent even local dimming either, you give up that contrast ratio pretty easily to plasma.

There is also something called the "soap opera effect". Have you been to any of your friends houses with a new LCD/LED and they're watching something and the picture looks TOO REAL? almost like a soap opera show? I found this to be very annoying (and choppy), and its due to the frame interpolation on LCD sets trying to "smooth" out motion. You can read more about it with a simple search on AVS. I hated these smoothing features on LCD/LED, and shut them right off.

As far as plasma's getting burn in, thats an old concern and really, should no longer be a worry unless you REALLY TRY, and i mean TRY, to burn something into your screen. For the first 100 hours of watching tv on a plasma some people like to do a color-slide burn in where you will just have the TV display a slideshow of colors to help "age" the phosphors and produce a better color in the long run. During this time you might want to limit any still images on the screen as they are more sensitive. I did this on my plasma, and now i play games quite a bit (hours on end with constant HUD's on the screen etc) and have noticed some "image retention" if you really look close to it, but it always goes away within a couple minutes once you change it back. "burn-in" imo is a thing of the past and is only a concern if you REALLY try for it. Most tv's now have built in image retention reducing methods such as an "orbiter" which shifts the pixels slightly (hardly noticeable to the naked eye), to keep them from being in a constant spot, and ive noticed it works quite well.

Plasma tv's are also rated at having a much longer lifespan as well. (maybe not over LED though).

All in all, i guess you can say that i'm all for getting a plasma. My plasma is right in the living room too with 8 windows and its a full glass screen but its really not even that bothersome. Don't believe any of the info that people will pass on to you at BB/FS/Visions etc, do your own research of the exact models/technology you want on your own, then make your decision. AVS forum is a great tool to help with that process. i ended up with a 3D plasma for the main viewing, and a cheapo insignia LED for the bedroom since it was cheap and slim. but boy oh boy is there a difference, and for main viewing i will always prefer plasma, and will enjoy the fact that they are quite a bit cheaper as well!

pisani34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Where things have really become better and cheaper is with projectors!!! I'm in the process of finding a temporay replacement for my old pj. IT is amazing what you can get today for a fraction of what I paid. Brightness has also improved to the point where having a very dark room is much less an issue.

For anyone interested you really should think of a pj as a possible option.
Seconded. A 1080p projector with a 109" screen with run you less than $1200.

TVs with Passive 3D are also worth a look as they are much, much easier on the eyes than active 3D.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:05 PM
GoOilers

Lots of good comments in this thread.

I have a 50 inch plasma and we also recently purchased a 55 inch LED/LCD so we have both types.

They both are great and the biggest consideration is where you will put the TV

Our plasma is in our basement and it looks great. We did have a burn in issue for awhile until we changed the TV setup to stretch all 4:3 feeds to fill the whole screen. The burn in disappeared over a couple of days and the TV looks great.

The new LED/LCD TV is a LG 240 hz 3D model. It is located upstairs in a room that gets lots of sunlight in it. The picture is amazing , and just like Reimer mentioned where it is so clear it is like you are sitting in the room as the show is being filmed.

They are both great options and I really think you cannot go wrong.

The plasmas are a bit cheaper but it really depends on where you plan to watch TV.

If I had to buy a new TV , if it was somewhere with low lighting, I would buy a plasma and save a few bucks. If I was going to put it in a room with a fair amount of natural light, I would spend a bit more and buy a LED/LCD but I would go with a 240 hz unit.

Also, I'ts pretty cool to put on the 3D glasses and watch a hockey game. With some camera angles it seems like you are in row 1 right on the glass.

I can't imagine what TV will look like in 10 years.

GoOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Finger Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I would go with plasma in a hearttbeat. You can get a far better set for the same money. Plasma is naturally 600hz. There is no issue with motion blur.
You're a math guy, right? Not trying to be a jerk here at all, but can you explain to me how 600hz refresh helps for 24hz movies or inherently 30hz or 60hz source material such as hockey games? Apart from interpolation to make data out of thin air, I mean.

Finger Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:08 PM
jlockhart89

I can pretty much echo everything everyone said about positivly about plasma TV's.

As far as the one comment about burn in, this is a non issue with pretty much any good plasma TV. They all pretty much have fast burning phosphors and auto-refreshing technology built right into them to prevent this (Think Panasonic or Samsung when looking into Plasma)

I've been selling TVs (Plasma,LCD,LED) for 5+ years for a small independant dealer. I've got no spiffs/paid bias to lean towards one or the other, other then my own personal preference to using both. I can tell you that in a dark room any "brightness/color" advantages LED has in a brightly lit room are wiped off the table. I can also tell you that while watching sports (yes even on the 120Hz) you WILL experience digitization/bluriness when you have fast motion on your screen with any LED/LCD. I can't tell you how annoying it is to watch a game on any TV other then a plasma.

Again this is my own 2 cents but selling TV's I'd say in your circumstances and environment a plasma TV is by far your best option and your gonna save some money by going that route as well.

jlockhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:10 PM
jlockhart89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Post View Post
You're a math guy, right? Not trying to be a jerk here at all, but can you explain to me how 600hz refresh helps for 24hz movies or inherently 30hz or 60hz source material such as hockey games? Apart from interpolation to make data out of thin air, I mean.
I know this was in response to another poster and not me. But I don't care what math says it's a pretty clear difference when you watch one over the other which one is keeping up with sports and action movies better then the other.

jlockhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:14 PM
pisani34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
Seconded. A 1080p projector with a 109" screen with run you less than $1200.

TVs with Passive 3D are also worth a look as they are much, much easier on the eyes than active 3D.
the only thing to note with passive vs active 3D tv's is that passive is not in full 1080P HD, whereas the active IS (at least from my knowledge). but it is true, the active shutter glasses are not for everyone

pisani34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Dr_oil

Holy smokes, thanks for all the great input. I was ready to buy Plasma before the weekend but hit a couple more stores and had been swayed to not being sure what to buy. Now, I'm back to the plasma and the next store I hit is to buy, not to get info and be swayed.

Thats good to know about the projectors, I paid $4500 for my Panasonic projector (92 in. screen) about 7 years ago and was so happy with it. Any time there was a big game on people seemed to stop by the house for some reason or another.

Thanks guys / gals.