HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mats Zuccarello and the 3rd Line RW Spot

Old
09-12-2011, 11:25 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Mats Zuccarello and the 3rd Line RW Spot

Mats Zuccarello and the 3rd Line RW Spot.

Disregarding my blog entry, I was going to make this thread anyway. But, I thought, what the hell, I'm looking for critique anyway, so I might as well add it in there.

Now, moving away from that, these are two topics that are, essentially, tied into each other. Zuccarello, if he makes the team, will likely play in that 3rd line RW spot; what I wanted to talk about, however, are the other candidates for that spot. Among all the 1st line LW and bottom defensive pairing discussions, this seems to have been a bit left out, and I thought it would generate some discussion.

My candidates:

Zuccarello, Hagelin, Avery, Thomas, Fedotenko (with anyone of Hagelin/Avery/Zuccarello at LW)

Outside shot:

Camp invite, Brian Boyle, Derek Stepan

Who do you think will take that spot? Personally, I feel it's between Hagelin and Zuccarello.

09-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
I think its between Zuccarello and Fedotenko. Fedotenko of the LWers you have listed there has the best credentials at RW. Thomas is doubtful as to his readyness.

If Hagelin forces his way onto the team I think you see him play LW, and shift Fedotenko to RW. Same with an Avery scenario.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
Can you change the background and font color? How can anyone read this? I agree with Fitzy by the way. Although I want Avery to get that spot since he played well with Stepan last year, but obviously move him to LW.

09-12-2011, 11:47 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

MZA by far.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:54 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Can you change the background and font color? How can anyone read this?
I fixed it, the new blogspot template is confusing the hell out of me, I thought it was completely different from how it came out.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:28 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I think it's Fedetenko's spot.

Wolski/Dubi - Richards - Gaborik
Dubi/Wolski - AA/Stepan - Callahan
Avery - Stepan/AA - Fedetenko
Prust - Boyle - Rupp

But I think we will see MZA in Avery's spot on and off, as well as see MZA play in place of anyone sitting for injury, and if Wolski disappoints I could see him sitting in favor of MZA eventually, or if dealt without a forward coming back, MZA taking his spot as well. I do believe that to start, however, Avery is in the lineup.

SERE 24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:32 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I think it's Zuccarello's spot to lose. I expect to see:

Wolski - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko - Stepan - Zuccarello
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper

I strongly belive, Mats will have a monster camp and knock out any competition he might have.
His second year in any league has been great, actually so good that he has never played more than 2 seasons on any of the other senior levels he has played. He became the leader both in Frisk and Modo his second year, winning mvp status in both countries.

Hes a quick learner and after using his first year to earn his teamates respect( he has stated earlier that it is very important to him to earn his teammates respect and show that despite his size he will do the work and wont back down), and show what he can do/bring. He has been absolutely dominating his second year. Im not saying he will dominate in the NHL but i do expect him to take another step.

He has no plans leaving NY thats for sure he wants an extention on his contract, and im quite sure he will get that after this season.

Norway
Frisk first full season 43 34 25 - 59p -playoff 7 4 4-8p
second season 33 24 40 - 64p -playoff 15 12 15-27p norwegian player of the year.
sweden
Modo first season 35 12 28 - 40p
second season 55 23 41 - 64p - MVP
NA
first year, Whale & Rangers 78 18 33 - 51p
second year, Rangers 78 20 43 - 63p Gaborik whatch out

Last edited by Norwegian: 09-13-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:36 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prustqvist24 View Post
I think it's Fedetenko's spot.

Wolski/Dubi - Richards - Gaborik
Dubi/Wolski - AA/Stepan - Callahan
Avery - Stepan/AA - Fedetenko
Prust - Boyle - Rupp

But I think we will see MZA in Avery's spot on and off, as well as see MZA play in place of anyone sitting for injury, and if Wolski disappoints I could see him sitting in favor of MZA eventually, or if dealt without a forward coming back, MZA taking his spot as well. I do believe that to start, however, Avery is in the lineup.
I'd probably bet on Avery swapping in for either WW or MZA as the need arises.

Dubi - BR - Gabby
Wolski - Anisimov - Cally
Fedo - Step - MZA
Prust - Boyle - Rupp
Avery
Christensen

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:53 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

great question...

In my Nhl 12 Be a pro season, I just started as Mza and are currently on the 3rd line with Avery and AA besides me..We're putting up solid numbers there....

Seriously, I think it's his spot by default - but that he has to stay sharp in order not to loose it...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:20 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I was praying on an outside chance that it would be Christian Thomas coming in and stealing the spot away.

However he needed to have a Stepan-esque type of TC Tournament to stand out heading into camp and I don't think he's done that. Thomas has done some good things, but he has attempted a lot of shots and a lot of them haven't gotten through or been wide. The story is he's a goal scorer and he hasn't been scoring goals unfortunately.

I still think he has a very outside chance (like 1%) of making the team with an impressive training camp, but I think, as it has always been, it's Zuccarello's spot to lose. I expect him to get plenty of chances in training camp, and he wants to stick in the NHL on the final year of his contract so he should be extremely motivated.

If he completely tanks then it may be Fedotenko taking the spot with a 3rd line of Avery - Stepan - Fedotenko. But I still think Zuccarello pulls it off, at least to start the season.

09-13-2011, 01:24 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Neither Thomas or Hagelin look like they're ready to play in the NHL. Another 6 months-a year would be fine for both. Lately, there is more of a push on this board to rush prospects needlessly. This team has plenty of depth on the bottom 2 lines. Let these kids get better prepared.

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
Wolski-Anisimov/Stepan-Callahan
Avery-Stepan/Anisimov-MZA
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust
Rupp platoons with Avery or whatever forward is slumping

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 02:36 AM
NYRangers16

You gotta figure with their deals that Feds and Rupp are gonna be in there every night. Assuming that, it's pretty much Aves and MZA fighting for that spot. Thomas doesn't look ready and unless someone surprises us(Hagelin, Thomas, etc) I really don't see it any other way. In reality, Aves/MZA probably split those starts with the other being the extra forward. I should add that no team goes through 82 games without injury, so both are likely to see more than 41 games in any case. I'd wager both get into 60+ games barring anything crazy. If it were up to me I'd give Zucc a spot and see what he can do in a full season, but we all know how Torts is.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 03:31 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I want MZA in there. It's a good risk to take. Feds is someone who won't be around in 10 months, whereas MZA could be with us for 10 years if he proves himself.

Plus, we'll need more scoring, even with Brad here. I want to see MZA with Anisimov or Stepan so that those guys don't fall behind offensive either.

I am not sure why everyone is so tough on MZA. He was a rookie who scored over 0.5 points per game. I see no reason why he can't score 50-60 points. Not saying he's guaranteed to do that, but he is not guaranteed *not* to do it either. He deserves his chance.

The last thing we need is to have a winger who is capable of scoring who doesn't get a chance and leaves as a free agent, only to burn us for the next dozen years.

Give MZA a chance.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 04:46 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I think Bourque's game is far more polished than Thomas' -- If any outsider has a shot it's Bourque who actually has a defensive game and would fit on a third line.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 05:32 AM
Superstar Carwash

First off, I'd like to say the the blog post was really good.

Second, I don't believe that Torts has him written off as a 3rd-liner that won't make a consistent top6 forward cause of his size, but I do believe that Torts got some questions and MZA will have to come in to camp with the mindset that Boyle had last season, the "there's no chance in hell you're sending me to AHL" mindset.

If he does that, and if he wins Torts over, I think he will suprise a lot of people this year. He put up good numbers last year, and even though he faltered a bit to the end of the season that's not really suprising seeing as it was his first year in the NHL, and he's also spending time in AHL where all travel there probably took its toll.

He's been putting up good numbers in the SEL, arguably the best, or second best league in the world behind NHL and perhaps KHL. Granted, the size of the rink is different, and the style of play is different, but remember that he also put up good numbers in the Olympics playing for a very mediocre Norway.

Maybe I'm just biased cause he's nordic and cause I just love when someone faces adversity and proves everyone wrong, but I really believe that this guy can be a top6 forward in the league, without a doubt.

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 06:33 AM
GAGLine

Salaries may play a part in this. It almost seems a given that Erixon will make the team. If he does, and MZA does, that means we'll only be able to carry 22 players.

In that scenario, who gets sent down? Do we go with 13 forwards, or do we go with 6 dmen?

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:05 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Salaries may play a part in this. It almost seems a given that Erixon will make the team. If he does, and MZA does, that means we'll only be able to carry 22 players.

In that scenario, who gets sent down? Do we go with 13 forwards, or do we go with 6 dmen?
I expect Zuccerello to be in Connecticut. Avery will be the 12th forward, and Christensen will be in the press box. Zuccerello will get consistent playing time with the Whale.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:28 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Took until the 17th post in this thread for someone to bring up the financial issues. No bonus cushion. MZA carries a $1.75M cap hit. Too much money for a spare forward. Even if MZA is the 3rd line RW,what role will he have?Torts will shorten his bench. Plenty of Prust and Fedotenko. Torts really likes Rupp and will use him all over the lineup. One of the centers could be moved to the wing.

Quote:
Torts agrees with my assessment that one of the "sleeper" off-season moves that will become major as the season unfolds is the signing of gargantuan Mike Rupp, the center who scored New Jersey's Cup-winning goal in 2003. The Cleveland, Ohio native will take some of the fighting load off Brandon Prust and could turn out to be as pleasant a surprise as productive Brian Boyle was last season.

"I can move Rupp up and down the line," explained the coach, "in various positions. He'll bounce guys around and fight for his teammates. Mike is one real, good team player."
http://www.msg.com/blogs/stan-fischl...part-2-1.71787

MZA is waiver exempt. He can be sent to the AHL and brought back sometime during the season when his cap hit becomes smaller and depending upon the situation. How are the Rangers playing? How is Zucca playing?

Avery is a lost cause. The Rangers should have bought him out in June with the Stars sharing the buyout. Avery has other priorities besides playing hockey. Fashion. Restaurant and bar owner. Activist.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I expect Zuccerello to be in Connecticut. Avery will be the 12th forward, and Christensen will be in the press box. Zuccerello will get consistent playing time with the Whale.
Exactly

Kovalev27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

The 12th forward race is going to be an interesting one.

I think we all agree the following are guaranteed roster spots:

1. Richards
2. Gaborik
3. Dubinsky
4. Callahan
5. Anisimov
6. Wolski
7. Stepan
8. Fedotenko
9. Boyle
10. Prust
11. Rupp

That leaves MZA, Christensen, and Avery battling for regular spots in the lineup. Of course, injuries happen, but assuming everyone stays healthy for the majority of the season, I think this will be monitored basically on a game to game basis depending on several factors - chief among them being if the team is scoring.

Personally, Im not happy with any of those 3 options and will look forward to some of our offensive prospects developing more - but what team has no weaknesses at forward 1-12?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Vitto79

Originally Posted by jas

I would also agree. If Avery was not under contract then I would be saying yea Zuke gets playing time but since that is not the case I simply can't see Avery sitting on a regular basis. I also agree EC is the spare

I hope Zuke tears it up and makes the team but he will have to be great

Dubinsky, Richards , Gaborik
Wolski, Anisimov, Callahan
Fedotenko, Stepan, Boyle
Avery, Rupp, Prust
Christensen

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

dubinsky richards gaborik
wolski stepan callahan
avery anisimov fedotenko
rupp boyle prust
EC

may be wrong on stepan/anisimov they could switch. MZA will absolutely be in hartford. now if wolski completely blows it mza very well could steal his spot but he certainly will not be taking avery or fedotenko's spots. just not going to happen. i expect wolski to have a good camp though.

one more thing hagelin has ZERO shot of making this team from what i've seen of him at traverse city. he's older then EVERYBODY there and still has a long way to go. he should be dominating this thing and he's been a mess out there. couple nice plays because he's got talent but nowhere near one of our best players in this tournament and he should be. he'll get blitzed in an nhl preseason game. bourque thomas miller are all ahead of him right now and closer to an nhl spot. hell even yogan has been better than hagelin.

staal girardi
mcdonagh erixon
mdz sauer
eminger

if for some reason mdz doesn't bring it and the organization feels they'd be better off giving him some time in the minors then eminger will slot in with either erixon or sauer my guess is it would be with erixon on the third pair and they'd keep mcdonagh sauer together. brendan bell would be the 7th guy. not valentenko not parlett not kundratek. they'll want a guy to sit in the pressbox and they don't want a kid doing that

Kovalev27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
MZA carries a $1.75M cap hit. Too much money for a spare forward.
Christensen at roughly half that isn't doing you any favors if he never plays. I think Mats at least gets into the rotation of the bottom 6 whereas Erik is presumably waiting for an injury at center.

If MZA earns a chance in camp and preseason, he shouldn't be demoted just so you can carry Avery and Christensen.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Christensen at roughly half that isn't doing you any favors if he never plays. I think Mats at least gets into the rotation of the bottom 6 whereas Erik is presumably waiting for an injury at center.

If MZA earns a chance in camp and preseason, he shouldn't be demoted just so you can carry Avery and Christensen.
EC's cap hit being 1/2 of MZA is a pretty big deal considering we'd be over the cap if we carried all 14 forwards...

but more importantly no one cares if EC rots in the press box. if MZA isn't playing regularly then he should be playing on the top line in hartford waiting to the first call up...if he makes the top 12, then he plays but no point in keeping him as the 13th guy.

Leetch3 is online now   Reply With Quote