HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Training Camp Thread - Preseason Over Preds go 7-1 - Roster cutdown to 25

Old
09-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
Perfect, I feel if he pans out he could be a great O'reilly upgrade/replacement. Is this the only rookie game? I want to see Smith in a preseason game with some real NHL'ers.
No, they play Florida tomorrow at noon. Smith will also get time in at least a few NHL preseason games...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Seth Lake

Pickard stopped 20 of 22 shots in 30:07 tonight, while Engren stopped 20 of 21 shots in relief...

Old
09-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Boooooth10

I thought you guys played really well tonight. Very physical. Ellis, Aronson, and Beck stood out the most to me. I was sitting next to the Panthers scouts and they kept talking about how good Ellis is. If only he was a little bigger he would be unstoppable.

btw I love your new jerseys. The guitar strings on the numbers is a nice touch. Not sure about the dragon ball z shoulder patches though.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
I thought you guys played really well tonight. Very physical. Ellis, Aronson, and Beck stood out the most to me. I was sitting next to the Panthers scouts and they kept talking about how good Ellis is. If only he was a little bigger he would be unstoppable.

btw I love your new jerseys. The guitar strings on the numbers is a nice touch. Not sure about the dragon ball z shoulder patches though.
The shoulder patches are shaped like a guitar pick with the State Flags stars inside of it. I love it, I cant stand how ppl compare it to Dragon Ball Z...The TN state flag was here about 250 years before it

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 07:49 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:

Smith didn't impress you any?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
The shoulder patches are shaped like a guitar pick with the State Flags stars inside of it. I love it, I cant stand how ppl compare it to Dragon Ball Z...The TN state flag was here about 250 years before it
I'm just joking around. Didn't even realize it was a guitar pick till you said so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Smith didn't impress you any?
Oh dammit. I forgot to mention him. I thought he looked great. It's crazy that he had 4 goals tonight.

Old
09-12-2011, 07:52 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
I'm just joking around. Didn't even realize it was a guitar pick till you said so.
I know you were, sry if i came off annoyed. Just lots of outsiders say the same thing haha

Old
09-12-2011, 09:08 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Highlights are on Preds site. Smiths 3rd goal was ****ing gorgeous

Old
09-12-2011, 10:21 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Highlights are on Preds site. Smiths 3rd goal was ****ing gorgeous

"going to catch a glimpse of these warlocks" haha

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:25 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:

"going to catch a glimpse of these warlocks" haha
hahaha thats classic, love that movie.

His face when he runs is priceless

Old
09-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
6th overall last year. I don't get all the trade Ellis and Pickard sucks crowd. People seem to forget that Jeremy Smith sucked too but somehow has made a turnaround. The staff has said nothing but good things about Pickard when he showed back up to camp. As long as Korn is our goalie coach, any goalie prospect will work out just fine for us. Not every goalie comes in and is a stud. Goalies, defensemen and power forwards take the most time to develop. Let's wait a little while before Pickard is a cop in Canada.
We are suggesting connolly for ellis trade because connolly is a beastly forward. Very good fit for us due to our needs.

Pickard versus eberle come on man really? how can you possibly defend the pickard pick?

Nevertheless, I am thrilled with this win! Winning feels good at any level. Very impressed by the top line. Good news bears!

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:36 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
hahaha thats classic, love that movie.

His face when he runs is priceless
hahah i know, never gets old.

But looks like Smith likes the slot and can get a hell of a shot off too. Hopefully he can keep that up.

Also agreed that the third goal was a thing of beauty.

Old
09-12-2011, 10:40 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
6th overall last year. I don't get all the trade Ellis and Pickard sucks crowd. People seem to forget that Jeremy Smith sucked too but somehow has made a turnaround. The staff has said nothing but good things about Pickard when he showed back up to camp. As long as Korn is our goalie coach, any goalie prospect will work out just fine for us. Not every goalie comes in and is a stud. Goalies, defensemen and power forwards take the most time to develop. Let's wait a little while before Pickard is a cop in Canada.
With that logic we shouldnt waste 1st rd picks on goalies. As shown we have found quality talent in Rinne and lindback in later rounds. All while Eblere would be helping us win now while Pickard won't be for a long time, if ever.

And referring back to Connolly I'd rather keep Ellis, he will be the overall better player, IMO. (I hope )

Old
09-12-2011, 10:44 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
With that logic we shouldnt waste 1st rd picks on goalies. As shown we have found quality talent in Rinne and lindback in later rounds. All while Eblere would be helping us win now while Pickard won't be for a long time, if ever.

And referring back to Connolly I'd rather keep Ellis, he will be the overall better player, IMO. (I hope )

Old
09-12-2011, 10:51 PM
roseyc

Seeing the highlights got me with that feeling again that the games are going to start again soon. This Smith from that game is a natural scorer 3 of the 4 goals were just good shots. I wished that we had a college team around here That looked interesting. Their power play looked better than the real team ever was. The passes were in crisp and they attacked and they were surgical. Ellis from the highlights looked like he knew where the puck should go...Anybody know did he score on the shootout the video cut out on me

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
We are suggesting connolly for ellis trade because connolly is a beastly forward. Very good fit for us due to our needs.

Pickard versus eberle come on man really? how can you possibly defend the pickard pick?

Old
09-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Seeing the highlights got me with that feeling again that the games are going to start again soon. This Smith from that game is a natural scorer 3 of the 4 goals were just good shots. I wished that we had a college team around here That looked interesting. Their power play looked better than the real team ever was. The passes were in crisp and they attacked and they were surgical. Ellis from the highlights looked like he knew where the puck should go...Anybody know did he score on the shootout the video cut out on me
It should be noted that as 101st has been saying, the PP for the rookie roster has a true PP QB at the point. Additionally, the team practiced the PP in both practice sessions, working the first day on zone entry and focusing the second day on working the puck around inside the zone. It is the same setup as the Predators have used for the most part, although there are a couple tweaks to the breakout and in-zone setup that I'm sure will also be used for the big club as all of the systems used are the same...

FWIW, I do think Muller was asked for his input on the PP from his time in Montreal. These are tweaks to the system, not a major change. Many of the teaching points stressed by Muller in camp have been the same as Trotz...

Old
09-13-2011, 05:14 AM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Anybody know did he score on the shootout the video cut out on me
Nope. I believe he went 5 hole and the goalie stopped him pretty easily.

Old
09-13-2011, 05:51 AM
glenngineer

I love how I'm supposed to defend the Pickard choice. I love how all prospects or draft picks are supposed to pan out right away. The logic around here or lack thereof is baffling sometimes. We have a guy score 4 goals last night, another with a goal and 2 assists and a guy with 4 assists and we're gonna trash Pickard and talk about how Connolly is a better player than Ellis. Ellis fills a need for us on the blue as a PP QB, something we sorely lack. If we don't have someone back there who can move the puck around, is it going to matter what we have up front?

Pickard was a highly rated player when he was picked and if you give up on a player too soon then shame on you. When you got out into the real world and got jobs, did you rise to the top right out of school? Probably not, so why should he be expected to be an All-Star right away? Do we really need him to be a stud right now? No. Give him time to develop and I have a funny feeling you'll be pleasantly surprised. Many said the same thing about Jeremy Smith and he's turning out ok too. Remember, he was a bust for us a few years back because of one bad season. Oh, that Suter kid was a bad pick too and wasn't going to be anything either.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
I love how I'm supposed to defend the Pickard choice. I love how all prospects or draft picks are supposed to pan out right away. The logic around here or lack thereof is baffling sometimes. We have a guy score 4 goals last night, another with a goal and 2 assists and a guy with 4 assists and we're gonna trash Pickard and talk about how Connolly is a better player than Ellis. Ellis fills a need for us on the blue as a PP QB, something we sorely lack. If we don't have someone back there who can move the puck around, is it going to matter what we have up front?

Pickard was a highly rated player when he was picked and if you give up on a player too soon then shame on you. When you got out into the real world and got jobs, did you rise to the top right out of school? Probably not, so why should he be expected to be an All-Star right away? Do we really need him to be a stud right now? No. Give him time to develop and I have a funny feeling you'll be pleasantly surprised. Many said the same thing about Jeremy Smith and he's turning out ok too. Remember, he was a bust for us a few years back because of one bad season. Oh, that Suter kid was a bad pick too and wasn't going to be anything either.
you are completely missing our point.

We were just comparing blue chip prospects.

Pickard is not greater than eberle.

And I even said I was very happy with the win... I praised it!

Old
09-13-2011, 08:49 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Thanks for the updates guys. Of course it's hard to judge after one rookie game, but Smith and Ellis are getting me excited. Hopefully we can get a stream this afternoon. I'd love to watch.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:33 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post

Nevertheless, I am thrilled with this win! Winning feels good at any level. Very impressed by the top line. Good news bears!
I will defend the pickard pick. When we drafted him, it was with the pick we had for vokoun I think. No, we got wilson with the vokoun pick and had the 12-14 or so pick now that I think about it. regardless we traded down to 18(?) to draft him. traded with ottawa I think. .It is foggy, someoone can correct me if they want.

anyway at the time we had mason and ellis (or did we just trade mason then?) and had no idea what we had in rinne. So our pipeline was thin. I don't remember much ado about the pick when we made it, in fact I remember how many people were stoked because wilson and pickard were hugging since they were old friends and we thought we had a number one center and goalie for the next 10 years.

And I wouldn't be too on the connelly bandwagon yet. I know he did well in junior this past year. But I would wait to see how that leg repsonds to playing against men before singing too many praises.

and am I the only one that couldn't give a care about ellis's size? He can seperated man from puck and plays his position. He will never be a pk stalwart. He needs to be ale to put in a good 12-14 minute output at ES and whatever pp time he gets. If Cody Franson can sneak by as a 3rd pair guy, ellis can.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:44 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I will defend the pickard pick. When we drafted him, it was with the pick we had for vokoun I think. No, we got wilson with the vokoun pick and had the 12-14 or so pick now that I think about it. regardless we traded down to 18(?) to draft him. traded with ottawa I think. .It is foggy, someoone can correct me if they want.

anyway at the time we had mason and ellis (or did we just trade mason then?) and had no idea what we had in rinne. So our pipeline was thin. I don't remember much ado about the pick when we made it, in fact I remember how many people were stoked because wilson and pickard were hugging since they were old friends and we thought we had a number one center and goalie for the next 10 years.

And I wouldn't be too on the connelly bandwagon yet. I know he did well in junior this past year. But I would wait to see how that leg repsonds to playing against men before singing too many praises.

and am I the only one that couldn't give a care about ellis's size? He can seperated man from puck and plays his position. He will never be a pk stalwart. He needs to be ale to put in a good 12-14 minute output at ES and whatever pp time he gets. If Cody Franson can sneak by as a 3rd pair guy, ellis can.
we traded the 15th pick in 2008 to OTT (who picked Erik Karlsson, an offensive D man) in exchange we got the 18th pick that we used on Pickard and OTT's 3rd rounder in 2009.

now before you scream "we wuz robbed" because Karlsson had 13G and 32A last year, you can at least console yourself that the player we got with that extra 3rd rounder is Taylor Beck...

and I think the concerns about Ellis are voiced because we arent projecting him as a 3rd pair D-man he is supposed to be a top 4. But Ill reserve judgement until he plays against the big boys...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Nope, I'm convinced he'll overcome any issues with size due to his smarts. When I watch him play the game I see him reading the play at such an elite level it really reminds me of HHOF'ers like Gretzky, Coffey, Kurri, Bourque, etc that it doesn't matter because he's in position to make a play before others even know there is a play to be made.

Watch him during the preseason. He just kinda floats around, then when the puck comes up to the point on a clear or breakout pass he's just there to make the play. We love Spaling's hockey sense, but Ellis is off the charts in terms of hockey IQ.

Old
09-13-2011, 12:13 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
and am I the only one that couldn't give a care about ellis's size?
To add to SLake...after watching Enstrom for a number of years, you're not alone.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote