HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke Touches On All Things Maple Leafs Ahead Of Camp

Old
09-12-2011, 04:16 PM
hockeyfanz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
Well, sure, he got that out of your post because it's in your post . You're bad at "alluding", because somewhere along the line, while "alluding" to Gustavsson, you specifically "denoted" Reimer and Gustavsson.

To wit:

That was you, I believe.

So, it's possible to assess the quality of the players in your system prior to camp and decide whether or not you have presumed top players at all positions? There's a method for this? And when Burke says he's got guys set into roster spots, but they're going to see what happens (i.e. evaluate) do you suppose he meant something else other than pencilling his best guys in and then deciding whether or not they've been outplayed in camp - just as you'd like? Are you having the same trouble with the language there as you seem to with "allude"?

Man, I'd heard big things about you.
Geez...I never know what to make of your posts...your handle is Courage, your avatar is a clown who certainly cannot be taken seriously and your posts for the most part are an attempt to be humorous, witty and at times condascending...

Your last point is well......

maybe you shouldn't bring the size of my manhood into this topic of discussion.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Thrillingbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Brunnstrom, and Voros were on one way contracts, and the Marlies didn't make playoffs, not very cost efficient moves.
Voros was simply a tough game for the Marlies after the Rosehill call up and the Brunnstrom trade bought the Leafs an extra contract slot this year, for spending an extra $600k last year in the minors. Who cares about the cost, except maybe MLSE and their bottom line?

Thrillingbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:19 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Brunnstrom, and Voros were on one way contracts, and the Marlies didn't make playoffs, not very cost efficient moves.
What was the cost of Voros and Brunnstrom?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Courage*

A billion dollars!

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:21 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
What was the cost of Voros and Brunnstrom?
Who cares? More like what was the point of Voros and Brunnstrom? Another "truculent" knuckle scraping goon and a free wallet devoid of any cash....I think the Leafs have an abundance of these in the system....making above mentioned players redundant.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Courage*

That's a bit like arguing over the point of hiring some extra night cleaning staff.

Old
09-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Thrillingbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Who cares? More like what was the point of Voros and Brunnstrom? Another "truculent" knuckle scraping goon and a free wallet devoid of any cash....I think the Leafs have an abundance of these in the system....making above mentioned players redundant.
An extra contract slot on the 50 man reserve list this year. That was the point.

Old
09-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillingbroom View Post
An extra contract slot on the 50 man reserve list this year. That was the point.
Wow, it's like the wiring under the board, brah!

Old
09-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Really? You do realize that we basically ravaged the Marlies last year right? We acquired them because we needed depth.

Burke does actually have more than one team's roster to fill, FYI.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
And this matters why?

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:57 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
His words, not mine. I just wanted to know what he meant.

Quote:
not very cost efficient moves

Old
09-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
The fact that you're complaining about bringing in a decent but mostly irrelevant top six AHL player and a goon to play on the AHL team, makes it quite clear that you're just looking for things to complain about, really. There's no reason whatsoever to be upset about this.

Old
09-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Thrillingbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
And this matters why?
Because you aren't allowed to have more than 50 contracts? We would have been at 49 contracts without the trade this year. I find it hard to believe someone can think that having 1 contract slot is better than having 2 slots. Seeing as it can affect the ability to make moves during the season and sign college FAs.

Old
09-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Courage*

Quote:
Because you aren't allowed to have more than 50 contracts? We would have been at 49 contracts without the trade this year. I find it hard to believe someone can think that having 1 contract slot is better than having 2 slots. Seeing as it can affect the ability to make moves during the season and sign college FAs.
Yeah, it was all pretty simple: Dallas got Brunnstrom's expensive contract off the books to save money and in return took on Stefanovich's dead-end contract for an extra year while he'll likely plays in the KHL. Meanwhile Burke gets himself another contract slot. Easy peasy...small deal, but everyone wins.

Old
09-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
It doesn't matter unless it's actually preventing something important from happening. If we were able to sign Brad Richards, but already had 50 contracts filled, then Dale Mitchell can be let go. Not a big deal.

Old
09-12-2011, 05:43 PM
TOG26

Quote:
It doesn't matter unless it's actually preventing something important from happening. If we were able to sign Brad Richards, but already had 50 contracts filled, then Dale Mitchell can be let go. Not a big deal.
"Let go" doesn't happen anymore. Any player with a contract remains on the books until traded or bought out or contract expires. So opening up contract spots isn't as easy as it once was unless you can find a team who needs some extra bodies. And seeing how Mitchell is injured he couldn't be bought out to begin with.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Courage*

Quote:
Surely you can see the value in having flexibility? Stefanovich's contract was simply dead weight, but his total AHL salary for the remainder of last season and this one (65K/@) is less than the 675K/@ Dallas was paying Brunnstrom on a one way contract last season. Burke does Joe N. a solid, earns a little good will, gets himself roster flexibility going forward. What's so hard to comprehend? Did Burke borrow the four hundred grand to pay Brunnstrom from you? Had Brunnstrom put on a better showing, then perhaps Burke extends him a contract offer this season. Otherwise, he's got room to sign someone he might actually get some use out of going forward -- like Heard -- should they show themselves worthy, or make a two-for-one swap (remember Franson/Lombardi for Ledba?). Pretty basic stuff all the way around, really.

Last edited by Courage*: 09-12-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old
09-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Thrillingbroom

Quote:
If you back yourself into a corner and need to make a quick move to open a contract spot or cap space, it isn't going to be cheap for another GM to take a player off your hands. I'd rather have Burke do it before we are stuck paying a premium to get a rid of a contract.

Old
09-12-2011, 06:11 PM
PresidentCamacho*

I could think of about 81 things that are way funner to argue about than this dribble, while we have the misfits online.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:32 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
I could think of about 81 things that are way funner to argue about than this dribble, while we have the misfits online.
No, it is way funner to talk about dribble.

Old
09-13-2011, 01:49 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
No, it is way funner to talk about dribble.
For the last time, man, I don't want to talk shop with you any more.

Old
09-13-2011, 02:19 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
For the last time, man, I don't want to talk shop with you any more.
I thought we were talking about basketball. Not shop class.

You Misfit.