HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

How do you feel about us having the second best paid goalie tandem in the league?

Old
09-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Ryker

vCash: 500
How do you feel about us having the second best paid goalie tandem in the league?

I was just reading THN, in particular the NHL Team Reports section, and if their numbers are correct, we have the second best paid goalie tandem in the league (at least as far as next year's cap hit is concerned). NY Rangers are the winners in that department, but how, if at all, does that impact your expectations? I mean, I was already expecting a lot from Bryzgalov, but now with this statistic in my head, I'm expecting even more. The Rangers are getting a whole lot of bang for their buck, and I guess it's time we start doing that, as well.

Thoughts?

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:40 AM
Slowbro

What do you mean bang for their buck? They have a top 5 goaltender in Henrik and he is paid more than Bryz...

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:46 AM
flountown

I'm good.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 02:46 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

He is tied for the overall highest paid player this season, if you want to look at it that way.

This will only stir up more arguments about Holmgren/Snider's decision making, and jumping on Bryz immediately vs. waiting and taking a chance on Vokoun being cheaper.

Personally, I think we have an elite goaltender now, one who pretty much carried his average team to two consecutive playoff births in a hellacious Western Conference. In terms of tandems, they're right up there with NYR, LAK, NSH, and VAN. But I sleep easier at night knowing the organization finally addressed a need that has strained them since the day I was born.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 06:39 AM
mirimon

So, because Bobrovsky's bonuses will count against the cap no matter what this season, you're expecting more from Bryzgalov? Sounds reasonable.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:04 AM
CptCannon

I just hope they'll let Bobs play a good chunk of games, that's all.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:12 AM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Agreed, if Bryz ends up playing 70 games or whatever Homer commented on way back when, I will punch someone... I think Bryz can be way more effective, as well as Bob if Bob plays 20-25 games. This is especially true come playoff time, I want Bryz to be rested and ready for a run.

Old
09-13-2011, 07:38 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I love Bob, but let's face it, he shouldn't have played that many games last season. Ideally, he should have played about 25. The same goes for this season

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:49 AM
BringBackStevens

Expectations are too high and the common Flyers fan is going to be dissapointed in a few years

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Uhh, why? We have a top tier goalie that is used to playing a ton of games. Barring poor play or an injury to Bryzgalov, there's no reason to start Bob more than 20 games.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I feel good about it.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:14 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Uhh, why? We have a top tier goalie that is used to playing a ton of games. Barring poor play or an injury to Bryzgalov, there's no reason to start Bob more than 20 games.
I think the idea would be to have Bryzgalov fresh for the playoffs. Btw, if Bryzgalov clocks in at 62 games next season that would be the fewest games he's played since he was the backup in Anaheim.

I hope that Bobrovsky shows enough to warrant him around 25 starts. That would be great for a number of reasons. Bryzgalov would be well rested for the playoffs, and if we do look to trade Bobrovsky sometime (or include him in a package), then the more games he's played the better.

Old
09-13-2011, 08:31 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I think the idea would be to have Bryzgalov fresh for the playoffs. Btw, if Bryzgalov clocks in at 62 games next season that would be the fewest games he's played since he was the backup in Anaheim.

I hope that Bobrovsky shows enough to warrant him around 25 starts. That would be great for a number of reasons. Bryzgalov would be well rested for the playoffs, and if we do look to trade Bobrovsky sometime (or include him in a package), then the more games he's played the better.
Eh, goalies like Bryz and Lundqvist (comparing number of games, not skill) can handle the load. Playing 65 games instead of 58 is not going to be the difference between a Cup and a first round exit.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

55-25 split would be lovely.

45 wins shared between them

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:56 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Eh, goalies like Bryz and Lundqvist (comparing number of games, not skill) can handle the load. Playing 65 games instead of 58 is not going to be the difference between a Cup and a first round exit.
I think what people are afraid of is going into 70+ territory. Look at the cup winning teams since the lock out, their goalies has been given a fairly easy load in the regular season.

Cam Ward is a bit special of course since he took over from Gerber
JS Giguere 56 games
Chris Osgood 43 games
Marc-André Fleury 62 games
Antti Niemi 60 games
Tim Thomas 57 games

Brodeur, Kiprusoff and the other goalies who plays around 75 games/season seems to be a bit gassed in the playoffs.

Old
09-13-2011, 09:00 AM
flountown

Quote:
But if you look at the Rangers recently, they have needed to play Lundqvist heavily down the stretch and that definitely has affected their ability to perform in the playoffs. Not that Lundqvist has collapsed, but at the end of the day, I am sure every Ranger fan wouldn't mind seeing him play 5-10 games less during the regular season.

Old
09-13-2011, 09:35 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I would like Bryzgalov to play around 60 to 65 games..and Bob get the remainder provided there are no injuries. I mean Bryzgalov said he was fatigued during the playoffs. I'm sure he can handle the workload of more games (has shown so) but handling and excelling (being at peak performance) are not the same...

Thing is with Lavy...he is probably going to ride Bryzgalov possibly over a cliff if he doesn't watch out

Interesting though that Hovinen is doing very well so far in preseason per Meltzer...seems at some point Bob will be moved if Hovinen develops more. I think if that is the case it is done in the second half of the season to acquire a player for the playoff push. Makes the most sense.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:52 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Expectations are too high and the common Flyers fan is going to be dissapointed in a few years
I'm the master of low expectations.
George W. Bush, aboard Air Force One, June 2003

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I'd also like to see 60-65 games. It would keep him rested for the playoffs.

As for cap hit, I'm sure it'll be fine this year. In a few years from now? Not so sure.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I'm thinking 55 games.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I feel good about it.
And since we are already paying our D corp at the top of the league too, let's hope it's true that defense wins championships.

We are solid in our end, and we still have a pretty darn good forward group too.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:20 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Doesn't matter how many gms each and everyone wants bryz to play or bob lavy is the coach and he will do the right thing so im not going to worry about what each plays cause it doesnt matter what we want to see its up to the coach..............

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:32 PM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Doesn't matter how many gms each and everyone wants bryz to play or bob lavy is the coach and he will do the right thing so im not going to worry about what each plays cause it doesnt matter what we want to see its up to the coach..............
Actually you are wrong, I have Laviolette on my speed dial, I call him at 3:42 pm on game day and make the decision for him, expect Bryz to play 61 games this year. If you hear that a starter was announced before 3:42, it is either Lavi's guess or a bit of gamesmanship. Seriously, it all comes down to me...

Old
09-13-2011, 01:19 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Actually you are wrong, I have Laviolette on my speed dial, I call him at 3:42 pm on game day and make the decision for him, expect Bryz to play 61 games this year. If you hear that a starter was announced before 3:42, it is either Lavi's guess or a bit of gamesmanship. Seriously, it all comes down to me...
So, were you celebrating New Year a little early last year and was completely out of your senses when you told Lavy to go with Leighton against LA?

flountown: Heyooooo!!!
Lavy: *holds phone away from ear*
flountown: Wha-what's up Petey-boy!?
Lavy: Please, don't call me that.
flountown: Yeah, whatever.... lischen.... lischen.... *zzzz*
Lavy: Hey, wake up! I need to know who I'll go with.
flountown: Huh? Oh, yeah, lischen to this, thish is brilliant! Today we're gonna fool them. It's April Foolsh day afterall.
Lavy: No, it's December 30.
flountown: Really? Oh, well, what the hell. We'll do something crazy in April as well then. Anyhooooo!!! Put ****face in net. That will throw them completely off their game. - Hey! I've got some eggnog left. Mmm... eggnogg...
Lavy: Leighton? Don't you remember what happened last time we tried that? Pronger will go ape-****, and poor Jeff still wakes up screaming Richie says.
flountown: Do as i say goddamnitsomuch! Remember that I've got pictures.
Lavy: Yes, Sir.

Old
09-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I was just reading THN, in particular the NHL Team Reports section, and if their numbers are correct, we have the second best paid goalie tandem in the league (at least as far as next year's cap hit is concerned). NY Rangers are the winners in that department, but how, if at all, does that impact your expectations? I mean, I was already expecting a lot from Bryzgalov, but now with this statistic in my head, I'm expecting even more. The Rangers are getting a whole lot of bang for their buck, and I guess it's time we start doing that, as well.

Thoughts?
I could care less as long as they keep the puck out of our net.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote