HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
09-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
A bit surprised judging by all the Velvet Fog's around me when I am at the brewery. I personally don't like IPA's so Velvet Fog is a win for me

Damn, I love both of those Porter's I really do love Okanagan's when it comes to non imported beer's......I just love dark roasted & smoky beers
Yeah it's a tough call. I like both the Wild Rose beers. I'll definitely have to hit up the tap room next time I'm in Calgary. Between that place and craft I'd be in my glory there.

As for the Porters, I was always a bigger fan of stouts but after trying those two porters I think if I had a choice between a porter and a stout the porter would probably edge out the stout imo. Of course it will depend what kind it is though cause like I said the neopolitan stout is amazing. I got a free 20oz. pint glass with the purchase of the okanagan springs at co-op liquor store.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by millax View Post
Glad you enjoyed the Neopolitan Stout. I brewed it!

I probably should out myself before too long. I am a brewer for Alleykat. For any of those interested we will be having a double opening for our new Red Racer Double IPA and our Ein Prosit Oktoberfest Pilsner this Thursday at the Brewery (9929 - 60th ave). Free samples and free brewery tours for those who come down between 5-8pm.

It is also a great place to restock your beer fridge as the prices are cheaper and you get 10% off if you buy four 6-packs.
I'll be there, but as the brewer for Alley Kat shouldn't you know that you're new big bottle is called Red Dragon Double IPA and not Red Racer(haha I'm sure you were reading a few posts above). Do I get a free one when I come in on Thursday?

It' is a great place to grab some beer prior to the opening game of the NFL season. I never knew about the 10% thing if you bought 4 or more cases. With 4 beers in your main line it only makes sense.

Also how does that work in terms of the neopolitan stout? I thought the beer was just brewed at Alley Kat but that Sherbrook hires the brewmaster and thus the reason why the beer is dubbed under Sherbrooks line and not Alley Kats. I'd love to know how that actually works. Also the 1905 porter keg that was cracked at the Sugar Bowl a few weeks ago provided by Alley Kat, is that the same 1905 porter that Sherbrooke sells?

Old
09-07-2011, 05:23 PM
millax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I'll be there, but as the brewer for Alley Kat shouldn't you know that you're new big bottle is called Red Dragon Double IPA and not Red Racer(haha I'm sure you were reading a few posts above). Do I get a free one when I come in on Thursday?

It' is a great place to grab some beer prior to the opening game of the NFL season. I never knew about the 10% thing if you bought 4 or more cases. With 4 beers in your main line it only makes sense.

Also how does that work in terms of the neopolitan stout? I thought the beer was just brewed at Alley Kat but that Sherbrook hires the brewmaster and thus the reason why the beer is dubbed under Sherbrooks line and not Alley Kats. I'd love to know how that actually works. Also the 1905 porter keg that was cracked at the Sugar Bowl a few weeks ago provided by Alley Kat, is that the same 1905 porter that Sherbrooke sells?
Hah I happened to be drinking a Red Racer as I was typing up that post.

As for the Sherbrook beers, we brew, bottle and package the beers for them. The recipes come from various sources such as local homebrewers or our head brewmaster Neil. The 1905 porter for example won the Edmonton homebrewers guild annual brew competition a couple of years back, and Sherbrook wanted us to brew it for them.

Also that porter was from the same batch as the Sherbrook bottles, but we pulled the cask off the conditioning tank prior to carbonation. For all of our cask nights we generally take a base product we are making or are testing and add some extra hops or other flavourings in the cask. It is a great way to create something unique for the cask nights at the Sugarbowl or the Next Act.

millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by millax View Post
Hah I happened to be drinking a Red Racer as I was typing up that post.

As for the Sherbrook beers, we brew, bottle and package the beers for them. The recipes come from various sources such as local homebrewers or our head brewmaster Neil. The 1905 porter for example won the Edmonton homebrewers guild annual brew competition a couple of years back, and Sherbrook wanted us to brew it for them.

Also that porter was from the same batch as the Sherbrook bottles, but we pulled the cask off the conditioning tank prior to carbonation. For all of our cask nights we generally take a base product we are making or are testing and add some extra hops or other flavourings in the cask. It is a great way to create something unique for the cask nights at the Sugarbowl or the Next Act.
That's awesome, are you guys hiring? LOL

Thanks for answering that for me. I knew for sure that the beer was brewed at Alley Kat, but wasn't sure how the recipe came about.

Also why doesn't Alley Kat open up a brew pub, they seem to be pretty popular in the Edmonton market. There are a lot of locals who would go out of their way to support a local product.

Old
09-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Hey Millax, not sure if you were there last night but it was an awesome night. The new beers are great as well. That double IPA is just so damn bitter that you want more.

Old
09-09-2011, 01:29 PM
mooseisloose11

Quote:
Hey Millax, not sure if you were there last night but it was an awesome night. The new beers are great as well. That double IPA is just so damn bitter that you want more.
Great beer, couldn't believe how smooth it was for 100 IBUs @ 7.5%. Neil said they did hop additions every 10mins- which explains alot- huge hop flavor and doesn't grab your throat which some 2IPAs do.

mooseisloose11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseisloose11 View Post
Great beer, couldn't believe how smooth it was for 100 IBUs @ 7.5%. Neil said they did hop additions every 10mins- which explains alot- huge hop flavor and doesn't grab your throat which some 2IPAs do.
Yeah that's my exact thought too. It tastes super bitter but it's so smooth that you wouldn't think it's a double IPA. But then you realize it is when you take a sip of full moon and it doesn't seem bitter at all.

Old
09-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Icetrey
Rookie User

Grolsch beer(Dutch)is the one.sign of good beer,it tastes good even when warm

Icetrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 05:28 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch

Brewdog made a limited-edition IPA called "Hello My Name is Ingrid" that was only available in Sweden. They made 10,000 bottles of it, which all went on sale on September 1.

They completely sold out in 9 days. Fistfights were breaking out in liquor stores over the last bottles available.

I managed to get 24 of them, 22 of which I still have left. Holy ****, is it ever delicious. A nice, strong, hoppy IPA made with cloudberries, so it's got a really nice citrusy sour/sweet undertone and an 8.2% alcohol content.

Currently rated at 98/100 at Ratebeer. I agree wholeheartedly.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 02:18 PM
mooseisloose11

1st Home-brewers meeting of the year on Monday at 6pm at Alley Kat. BBQ starts at 6. $35 to join- you don't have to be a brewer to join, you just have to appreciate good beer. If you r looking for another way to beat Calgary at something, start brewing and clean up at their competition...

mooseisloose11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 04:45 PM
millax

Quote:
I was one of the guys behind the bar for part of the night (not the short guy in costume). Just hanging around talking and stuff. Was a great time.

millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Awesome then I definitely talked to you as you guys were pouring us those tasty beers. Awesome event dude. Please use this thread to let us know of suture events happening at Alley Kat.

Old
09-12-2011, 12:47 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

This will be relevant:

Little Guy Liquor is helping host a tasting night in sherwood park. 10 bucks for tickets (From the store) and some money for tasting tickets in hand.

And it's for a good cause!

Quote:
We are very pleased to be teaming up with the Sherwood Park A.C.T. in presenting the Autumn Harvest Tasting Experience , September 17th 5pm -9pm. With over 14 agents representing a huge variety of products , come taste unique spirits , wine , and ales . All profits go towards the Strathcona Boys and Girls Club . Entry tickets $10 , available at Little Guy Liquor ,and tasting tickets 50 cents at the event . Food will be provided by Chef Garrett Michetti of Bullseye Bar and Grill . Stay tuned for a detailed list of products being poured !
I live literally across the street from the place they're hosting this (the log cabin facility on Spruce Avenue, Sherwood park...unless they've made last minute changes), so there's literally no reason for me not to go.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

There we go, changed the title as to not only give Innis the love.

Old
09-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Coronas and Stellas are my favourites.

But in terms of alcohol, I'm a spirits guy, belvedere and lime is my favourite.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
This will be relevant:

Little Guy Liquor is helping host a tasting night in sherwood park. 10 bucks for tickets (From the store) and some money for tasting tickets in hand.

And it's for a good cause!

I live literally across the street from the place they're hosting this (the log cabin facility on Spruce Avenue, Sherwood park...unless they've made last minute changes), so there's literally no reason for me not to go.
Didn't see this before, but thanks for the heads up on this event.

Old
09-12-2011, 06:36 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Didn't see this before, but thanks for the heads up on this event.
I nearly forgot about it myself. It looks like it's going to be a blast though

Old
09-13-2011, 10:36 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

just a quick update on that autumn harvest event, they're released the final lineup of companies providing samples, which includes Big Rock and Yukon Brewery, and bunch of others I've never heard of.

The actual address of the event (which I had to confirm with the folks at the store) is 50 Spruce Avenue, Sherwood Park.

Old
09-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I've always wanted to try something from Yukon Brewery but haven't got around to it yet.

Old
09-13-2011, 11:20 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
I've always wanted to try something from Yukon Brewery but haven't got around to it yet.

they have some interesting brews, but I'm in the same camp as you...never had a chance to try their stuff.

Old
09-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Also to keep up with other events regarding beer:

Sherbrooke Liquor Store presents on September 24th it's 2nd annual Shabam festival.

It's a Beer Art & Music festival that supports the Kidney Foundation. Several craft brewers in the area will be in attendance including: Alley Kat, Ambers, Yellowhead, Yukon Brewing, Wild Rose, Brewsters and Big Rock.

http://kidney.ca/Page.aspx?pid=1824

Old
09-13-2011, 11:26 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Also to keep up with other events regarding beer:

Sherbrooke Liquor Store presents on September 24th it's 2nd annual Shabam festival.

It's a Beer Art & Music festival that supports the Kidney Foundation. Several craft brewers in the area will be in attendance including: Alley Kat, Ambers, Yellowhead, Yukon Brewing, Wild Rose, Brewsters and Big Rock.

http://kidney.ca/Page.aspx?pid=1824

oh man, the Mayfield Trade Centre is brutal to get to. Still, that list of brewers is nice.

Old
09-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
oh man, the Mayfield Trade Centre is brutal to get to. Still, that list of brewers is nice.
Yeah I have no idea where it is, but with that line up and it supporting the kidney foundation it's a can't miss and you can grab tickets for a reduced rate right now.

Also I tried Yellowhead premium lager over the weekend and found it to be quite good. Wasn't sure what to expect, but I was impressed.

Old
09-13-2011, 11:32 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Yeah I have no idea where it is, but with that line up and it supporting the kidney foundation it's a can't miss and you can grab tickets for a reduced rate right now.

Also I tried Yellowhead premium lager over the weekend and found it to be quite good. Wasn't sure what to expect, but I was impressed.
mayfield is west of west edmonton. It's in the middle of nowhere in the city, if that's possible. It's terrible. Cab ride from there last time I went for a beer festival was upwards of 60 bucks.

all I can really say about the breweries around here (alberta and close by) is that we're spoiled rotten.

Old
09-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
mayfield is west of west edmonton. It's in the middle of nowhere in the city, if that's possible. It's terrible. Cab ride from there last time I went for a beer festival was upwards of 60 bucks.

all I can really say about the breweries around here (alberta and close by) is that we're spoiled rotten.
I'd really have to agree with this, I haven't tasted anything terrible.

As for the $60 cab ride, oh well my girlfriends parents are on the Westend, she can go visit them until I need a ride home, lol.