HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

something that was interesting @ the montreal game

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2005, 01:52 PM
otto1219

vCash: 500
something that was interesting @ the montreal game

did anyone notice how kovalev was being booed extensively when being announced? that really pissed me off, its not like he asked to get out of new york or the rangers offered any money for him to come back, i hate when fans dont appreciate a players past. kovalev was a major reason we won a cup

Old
10-09-2005, 01:53 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Otto - indifference is the opposite of love; not hate.

Old
10-09-2005, 01:54 PM
in the hall

he wasnt booed that much, i dont think many people cared really

and sure he didn't go because he wanted out, but he failed here twice

Old
10-09-2005, 01:57 PM
otto1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall

i dont think you can name too many players who didnt fail in new york over the last 7 years, ive always appreciated him, i just thought it was a shame because i actually expected a lot of cheering

Old
10-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Balej20*

I noticed the samething Otto, infact, it bothered me so much I started yelling "How could you boo Kovalev?" and my whole section agreed with me. It's just a case of ignorant fans.

Old
10-09-2005, 02:31 PM
FLYLine24*

I booed Kovy. Screw him...he came to NY and played with NO HEART. He played with the Pens with heart and was what..the 5th leading scorer in the NHL? He came to NY and said "Oh well...the team already has stars on it to score..ill just float around and do nothing" which is exactly what he did. Kovalev was a disgrace to the uniform.

Old
10-09-2005, 02:36 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall

There was just an article about him that said he was glad to get out of NY and he would never come back. So he didnt even want to play here or he is blaming the Rangers for his lack of heart.

Quote:
"I won't come back," said Kovalev, who was the lone remnant of the Rangers' 1994 Stanley Cup championship team on the ice last night. "That's all I can say to you right now ... It took me a while to get back to the player I was in Pittsburgh ... I just don't want to be wasting my time coming back."
Kovalev felt the Rangers' defensive-minded system in the 2003-04 season hampered his freewheeling style.
Oh yea..I guess the Rangers defensive-minded system we had in 03-04 hampered his style...what defensive-minded system was that again?

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 10-09-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Old
10-09-2005, 03:18 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219
i dont think you can name too many players who didnt fail in new york over the last 7 years, ive always appreciated him, i just thought it was a shame because i actually expected a lot of cheering
they all get booed too

flylines article may have something to do with the booing of kovalev too

Old
10-09-2005, 03:44 PM
otto1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
There was just an article about him that said he was glad to get out of NY and he would never come back. So he didnt even want to play here or he is blaming the Rangers for his lack of heart.

Oh yea..I guess the Rangers defensive-minded system we had in 03-04 hampered his style...what defensive-minded system was that again?
i read the same thing in the daily news except that in that article it was worded much differently, saying that kovalev wont come back because he would have to change the way he plays and his technique, which would be a waste of a time if you were going to be playing for a losing team.

Old
10-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Choice

I can understand fans booing Kovalev because everytime he plays for the Rangers he totally dicks around on the ice and everytime he plays for another team he's the player everyone always thought he should be.

My least favorite player on the Habs has to be Perezhogin. That Stafford incident was disgraceful.

Old
10-09-2005, 06:18 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
I booed Kovy. Screw him...he came to NY and played with NO HEART. He played with the Pens with heart and was what..the 5th leading scorer in the NHL? He came to NY and said "Oh well...the team already has stars on it to score..ill just float around and do nothing" which is exactly what he did. Kovalev was a disgrace to the uniform.
You can't blame him solely for his laziness...Practices were a joke, there was no enphasis on ethic, it all had to do with the fact that they were stars. Sather was not a motivator, Renney this year is.

Old
10-09-2005, 06:25 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseenpunk
You can't blame him solely for his laziness...Practices were a joke, there was no enphasis on ethic, it all had to do with the fact that they were stars. Sather was not a motivator, Renney this year is.
The fact that he didnt produce isnt what I care about...the fact he never tried was this thing I couldnt stand. The guy looked like he was giving 50% a shift and nothing more, he was play his *** off with the Pens but then stopped when he joined a team of stars. Motivation or not other players on our team showed it a hell of a lot more often then Kovy ever did.

Old
10-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Fletch

He was lost with the Rangers...

and had direction in PITT. In PITT, he was allowed to be comfortable. He played right wing. He played the point. He played about 22 minutes per night, and got a decent amount of PK time. He came to New York, and was a left winger initially. He was a forward on the PP, initially. PK time was almost non-existent. He never re-adjusted to his new surroundings and different postitions. He wasn't as involved as he was used to being.

Old
10-10-2005, 09:17 AM
natureboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219
did anyone notice how kovalev was being booed extensively when being announced? that really pissed me off, its not like he asked to get out of new york or the rangers offered any money for him to come back, i hate when fans dont appreciate a players past. kovalev was a major reason we won a cup
He should be booed he was an absolute dog here last year and plus his comments about the rangers in the paper were insulting.

Old
10-10-2005, 09:57 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice
I can understand fans booing Kovalev because everytime he plays for the Rangers he totally dicks around on the ice and everytime he plays for another team he's the player everyone always thought he should be.

My least favorite player on the Habs has to be Perezhogin. That Stafford incident was disgraceful.
Well, I'm a Hab/Ranger fan and I have the opposite view of the "Stafford incident." Stafford is the guy who clubbed Perezhogin over the head. Perezhogin tried to respond with a slash, but Stafford, being the big stiff that he is, couldn't stay on his feet after his caveman bash and Perezhogin accidentally got him up high. Yes, accidentally. That's obvious if you watch him play. He's not that type of player. I thought the AHL overstepped when they suspended him for the entire season. But his development accelerated in the RSL, so screw em.

Old
10-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Fletch

What Kovalev meant to say...

is that the Rangers tried to play a defensive-minded system, yet but Sather was clueless as a coach and didn't know how to implement one.

Old
10-10-2005, 10:13 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Do you think Lindros is going to get booed when he returns to the Garden? I for one wouldn't boo Eric. I thought he played real hard for the Blueshirts. I don't think I would boo Nedved either. Standing O for Leetch. Malakhov?? I'm indifferent. If Kamensky ever came backI would probably get a hernia from booing that waste. Anybody gonna boo Barnaby?? I wouldn't..

Old
10-10-2005, 10:42 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour
Do you think Lindros is going to get booed when he returns to the Garden? I for one wouldn't boo Eric. I thought he played real hard for the Blueshirts. I don't think I would boo Nedved either. Standing O for Leetch. Malakhov?? I'm indifferent. If Kamensky ever came backI would probably get a hernia from booing that waste. Anybody gonna boo Barnaby?? I wouldn't..
Obviously I wont wont Boo lindros...he did work his *** off...ill be puzzled if people boo him and im sure some will.

Old
10-10-2005, 10:52 AM
CrookedRain

Actually, if you read between the lines in that article you'll be able to discern Kovalev's displeasure at the NY Rangers' off ice leadership.

Kovalev isn't saying anything bad about the city, the fans or his teammates. He was a guy who was playing on the 1st line in Pitssburgh with a lot of ice time and power play time. The Rangers bring him here and stick him on the second line, behind the miscasted Holik and they play him on the damned point on the power play. As if that made any sense.

I, for one, will always remember Kovalev playing hard for the Rangers during the 1994 run. He had a hell of a playoff series and he proved that if left to his own devices he has more talent than just about anyone in this league and that he can produce.

He was utilized badly during his second run and I think that's his comments reflect exactly that fact.

Old
10-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Fletch

Actually Crooked..

all those PP points racked up in PITT were with Kovalev on the point. He started on the point for the Rangers, but the first time a guy gets past Kovalev with the puck while he was on the point, he got yanked and was put down low as a forward, a position he hadn't played in years, and one in which he was never quite successful, on the power play at least.

I remember seeing him a few years ago when he was in New York while playing with PITT...he couldn't stop saying good things about New York City, the fans, JD and Sam. He also spoke of having a couple decent coaches, notably leaving Campbell off that list, and I'm sure Sather too would be off that list.

I personally wouldn't boo Kovalev. I still like him as a player, though, but I rarely boo ex-Rangers, except on the rarest of occasions (I don't ever remember booing an ex-Ranger, but wanted to reserve the right to do so).

Old
10-10-2005, 12:32 PM
CrookedRain

that's what I meant. They play him on the point and then complain that he's a defensive liability.

Anyone who booed Kovalev probably wasn't old enough to remember his run in '94.

It also didn't help that Neil Smith dismantled a ridiculously potent power play by shipping Zubov to Pittsburgh. With Leetch and Zubov on the power play Kovalev was free to play the slot and carry the puck in. We had a killer PP unit during those days.

Old
10-10-2005, 01:57 PM
tinyzombies

He's also not the biggest hustler in the world.

Old
10-10-2005, 02:06 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice

Take a closer look at the video footage...

Old
10-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
Take a closer look at the video footage...
what, did he not slash him the face?

Old
10-10-2005, 03:40 PM
otto1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedRain
that's what I meant. They play him on the point and then complain that he's a defensive liability.

Anyone who booed Kovalev probably wasn't old enough to remember his run in '94.

It also didn't help that Neil Smith dismantled a ridiculously potent power play by shipping Zubov to Pittsburgh. With Leetch and Zubov on the power play Kovalev was free to play the slot and carry the puck in. We had a killer PP unit during those days.
that was my point exactly, kovalev carried us for a long time back in the day

Closed Thread