HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Evolution of the Carter trade

Old
09-12-2011, 09:07 PM
CTU2fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Dude only scores in blowouts. He won't be scoring much next year seeing as how it's still Columbus.
It seems that way sometimes. I always felt like Carter got a bit of a bad rap about stuff like that, and about him being soft/lazy/whatever. But I don't like the fit in Columbus if they try to play him with Nash. Unless the league lets them play with 2 pucks.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
This is interesting, when I saw Elliotte Friedman's comment in 30 thoughts, I thought he was talking about this happening in 2011, not 2010. I just went back and read this year's column where he talks about it and saw that this was in the making from last year.
I think he was definitely referring to this year's playoffs.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Dustin Leed, the writer of this article,
That's all I needed to hear, thanks for saving me the bleeding eyeballs, another thread to ignore....

and 'news article'??? isn't that a bit misleading? We need a new option "Whanker's Blog" would do for that hack.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:14 AM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
That's all I needed to hear, thanks for saving me the bleeding eyeballs, another thread to ignore....

and 'news article'??? isn't that a bit misleading? We need a new option "Whanker's Blog" would do for that hack.
Get further down the lane, and you would find out it was not in fact his article, just something he retweeted...

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:59 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Get further down the lane, and you would find out it was not in fact his article, just something he retweeted...
Yep. Which makes it even less credible than originally suspected, if that was even possible.

EDIT:

Back on topic real quick, but which forward group do you like going forward more...

vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - xxxxx
Versteeg - Richards - Nodl
xxxxx - Carter - xxxxx

or

vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - xxxxx
xxxxx - Schenn - Voracek
Nodl - Couturier - Simmonds

I think in the end, this becomes a no-brainer if Schenn and Couturier reach their potential.

Last edited by CS: 09-13-2011 at 02:04 AM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 02:05 AM
flountown

Quote:
Yep. Which makes it even less credible than originally suspected, if that was even possible.
I mean, it isn't meant to be some hard hitting journalism, the author was just trying to use sources from different time points to map out the deal that was made, and kind of argue against those who think that the Carter trade was an impulse or panic move. I don't understand people's aversion to this writing...

Old
09-13-2011, 06:14 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Ooops. My bad.

It was just a weird "article" all together. I don't really even get the purpose of it, though I understand sort of what he was trying to accomplish.
Are you seriously insulting another writer pulling the whole "credibility" thing. Can you give us your credentials to being a prospect writer?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
It's almost like that awesome movie you saw where the ending blew you away so you go back and rewatch the movie to hunt for the obvious clues you missed.
Exactly. Which is why I really enjoyed this article.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Dude only scores in blowouts. He won't be scoring much next year seeing as how it's still Columbus.
Is there a Win Probability Added stat for scoring goals in hockey? I think it could settle a lot of debates along the lines of "such and such only scores in blowouts" a lot more effectively than having to pore through the box scores for every game.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:25 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I mean, it isn't meant to be some hard hitting journalism, the author was just trying to use sources from different time points to map out the deal that was made, and kind of argue against those who think that the Carter trade was an impulse or panic move. I don't understand people's aversion to this writing...
Yeah I don't get it either. You don't have to take it as gospel or anything and shouldn't. However, it does provide some decent insight. Sure it has holes and the author's credentials are not "pedigreed" but it doesn't mean it's completely worthless. Another instance of just separating the wheat from the chaff with respect to the whole Carter and Richards mystery/drama...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:46 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
good read, thanks for posting.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:58 AM
FlyersFocus
Rookie User

Hey guys, Charlie O'Connor here.

Thanks for reading my blog post. After reading through the thread, I did want to clear a few things up.

First, I personally supported keeping Jeff Carter, so I certainly didn't mean to insinuate that I have pegged him as a lazy player with character issues. However, many fans did have that opinion of Carter, so I mentioned it in the piece.

Second, I did not mean this to be a journalistic piece meant for publication - it's a blog post. I attempted to cite all relevant information, but that's because I feel that if blogs want respect, they should hold themselves to high standards. I wasn't writing with the intention of masquerading as a true journalist.

Third, with regards to the purpose of the piece: this was a post trying to piece together all of the rumors, that in retrospect, appear related to the Jeff Carter trade. I felt like these connections had not been made by anyone thus far in the analysis following the trade, and I found the information interesting.

Hopefully this clarifies some of the comments regarding the post. Again, thanks for reading, guys.

FlyersFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFocus View Post

Thanks for reading my blog post. After reading through the thread, I did want to clear a few things up.

First, I personally supported keeping Jeff Carter, so I certainly didn't mean to insinuate that I have pegged him as a lazy player with character issues. However, many fans did have that opinion of Carter, so I mentioned it in the piece.

Second, I did not mean this to be a journalistic piece meant for publication - it's a blog post. I attempted to cite all relevant information, but that's because I feel that if blogs want respect, they should hold themselves to high standards. I wasn't writing with the intention of masquerading as a true journalist.

Third, with regards to the purpose of the piece: this was a post trying to piece together all of the rumors, that in retrospect, appear related to the Jeff Carter trade. I felt like these connections had not been made by anyone thus far in the analysis following the trade, and I found the information interesting.

Hopefully this clarifies some of the comments regarding the post. Again, thanks for reading, guys.
I'm happy you came to the defense of your blog... I never got the feeling you were saying Carter was lazy, but were just saying that because that's what the majority of the fan base feels.

All the people saying they couldn't even read it is disappointing. Its a blog post. take it as it is.. for our entertainment and trying to supply us with some insight to the best of your knowledge. I sir enjoyed your blog post!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Is there a Win Probability Added stat for scoring goals in hockey? I think it could settle a lot of debates along the lines of "such and such only scores in blowouts" a lot more effectively than having to pore through the box scores for every game.
Well, Carter led the team in game-tying goals...meaning he was the best on the team at scoring while we were losing. That alone hurts the whole "blowout" argument.

09-13-2011, 12:43 PM
flountown

Quote:
SO YOUR RESPONSIBLE?!?!?!?!?!

Old
09-13-2011, 12:49 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Are you seriously insulting another writer pulling the whole "credibility" thing. Can you give us your credentials to being a prospect writer?
A degree in English/Journalism and 3 years writing here. I'm not exactly in any rush, nor do I consider myself a "professional" or some highly credible journalist with some insider knowledge and all that nonsense. I analyze situations to the best of my knowledge and do all the research/legwork that most people don't want to do. I've also been an extremely strong writer for as long as I can remember.

Honestly, don't assume that I take myself so seriously. I do however do my job pretty well in terms of the content I produce.

Quote:
It's alright. I was only taking a shot at it because I thought it was Dustin Leed, a professional who should be writing more professional pieces.

For a blog, it's more well thought out than most. It still doesn't answer my question of why though.

Quote:
I'm sure most Flyers' fans, especially those who follow this board, can follow back all the Carter hate that has popped up over the years. Maybe not specific details of each event, but they can definitely follow the sentiment.

I think however that you're trying to place this movement on the organization rather than the fanbase. The problem with this is that even if the process to move Carter was as long and foreshadowed as you say, the movement from the fanbase's/media's perspective and the movement from the organization's perspective were very different.

So even if these articles foreshadow the Carter trade, it's for a different reason altogether.

Because of this I don't view it as particularly fair to trace it's lineage as a recorded history of the Carter trade when it realistically has nothing to do with the end result.

Last edited by CS: 09-13-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old
09-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Totally modest too.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
SO YOUR RESPONSIBLE?!?!?!?!?!

INCORRECT USE OF "YOUR"

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I thought it was a decent read.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:03 PM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
INCORRECT USE OF "YOUR"

My fixation on typing in caps totally through off my concentration...

Old
09-13-2011, 01:11 PM
mirimon

Quote:
My fixation on typing in caps totally through off my concentration...
Their is never an excuse for poor and sloppy writing.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:20 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Their
"Your" correct sir

Old
09-13-2011, 01:24 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

It's alright. I was only taking a shot at it because I thought it was Dustin Leed, a professional who should be writing more professional pieces.

For a blog, it's more well thought out than most. It still doesn't answer my question of why though.

I'm sure most Flyers' fans, especially those who follow this board, can follow back all the Carter hate that has popped up over the years. Maybe not specific details of each event, but they can definitely follow the sentiment.

I think however that you're trying to place this movement on the organization rather than the fanbase. The problem with this is that even if the process to move Carter was as long and foreshadowed as you say, the movement from the fanbase's/media's perspective and the movement from the organization's perspective were very different.

So even if these articles foreshadow the Carter trade, it's for a different reason altogether.

Because of this I don't view it as particularly fair to trace it's lineage as a recorded history of the Carter trade when it realistically has nothing to do with the end result.
What?

Old
09-13-2011, 01:28 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
What?

The halfway point to St. Patrick's Day is in 4 days. You're a little premature.

Old
09-13-2011, 01:46 PM
FlyersFocus
Rookie User

Quote:

I wasn't trying to answer the question of why - that remains uncertain and likely always will. I was purely exploring the "how" of the trade.

Quote:

I understand your criticism. I was trying to provide background information regarding the situation of Jeff Carter prior to 2010, not attempting to ascertain the motivations of the organization. If it came across as putting words in the front office's mouth, I'm sorry.

I also removed the Friedman section, because after reading this thread, I'm honestly unsure whether he is referring to the 2010 or 2011 Boston series. Because I can't 100% stand behind that argument, I felt like it needed to be removed. Thanks for the feedback.

FlyersFocus is offline   Reply With Quote