HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL 12....Flyers

Old
09-12-2011, 08:28 AM
JagerPuck

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by teegale View Post
Won't be purchasing this years edition. Played the demo and if it weren't for the goalies falling over, I wouldn't be able to tell you whether I was playing 11 or 12. Tired of dishing out $60 a year for an updated roster.
Have been screaming about this for the past 2 years. It seems to me as if EA purposely sandbags all of their sports titles. Keep buying $60 roster packs with minimal gameplay additions.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:39 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
o/t but how good are the Kings now?

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:39 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
Have been screaming about this for the past 2 years. It seems to me as if EA purposely sandbags all of their sports titles. Keep buying $60 roster packs with minimal gameplay additions.
Agreed for Madden, I hate how they continually cripple that game and want you to pay even more for features by DLC. With NHL though, for the most part it's a case of "if it ain't broke" in my opinion. No need to overhaul the gameplay engine completely because it's quite good. Now, should they charge less? Yes, definitely.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:53 AM
xifentoozlerix

Quote:
While I agree for the most part, the old saying "if it ain't broke..." could apply here. I, for one, think that the presentation needs more attention than the physics/AI/etc....which is strange, because I usually only care about that kind of stuff in video games. I like Thorne and Clement, but they need to either record all new commentary or get some different voices back in. The gametracker is nice, though, especially the net chart and replays.

xifentoozlerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:53 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Quote:
Not to mention, no options for OLD commentating. I've been hearing the same damn Gary Thorne and bill clement comments for years now. "Bing, bang boom... it's off the pipe."

The PC version (while they still had it) had COMPLETELY different personalities. Jim Hughston (unfortunately with the antics of Don Taylor) Why not include those on both versions so you had different commentators, like Craig Simpson, etc. the play calls are there, just have it pick a random play by play or color guy each game. or let us skip the damn color commentating like we used to be able to.

Also, why do they remove names from the pronounceable list for your BAP? I guarentee you if pronger retired and wasn't in the game this year, they would remove Pronger from the pronounced list. That doesn't take up THAT much room on the DVD, which when you look, doesn't really take up much space on the disk anyway.

Madden lets you choose teams with the roster that they won the title with for that year. Too bad you can't choose a fantasy team like 94 Rangers, or 77 Canadians, etc.

The fact that they put the centennial Canadians in there means they CAN do it.

/rant

Old
09-12-2011, 08:55 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Agreed for Madden, I hate how they continually cripple that game and want you to pay even more for features by DLC. With NHL though, for the most part it's a case of "if it ain't broke" in my opinion. No need to overhaul the gameplay engine completely because it's quite good. Now, should they charge less? Yes, definitely.
how come the PC version of NHL09 let you fight with both hands by having to grapple, or punch with each? the new version of fighting sucks. press up on right stick? there are 2 sticks. should have to press up on either or and click and hold to grab. make it an actual struggle not just up up up up up.

Old
09-12-2011, 09:06 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
Not to mention, no options for OLD commentating. I've been hearing the same damn Gary Thorne and bill clement comments for years now. "Bing, bang boom... it's off the pipe."

The PC version (while they still had it) had COMPLETELY different personalities. Jim Hughston (unfortunately with the antics of Don Taylor) Why not include those on both versions so you had different commentators, like Craig Simpson, etc. the play calls are there, just have it pick a random play by play or color guy each game. or let us skip the damn color commentating like we used to be able to.
Actually I'm pretty sure the PC version did have Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson together. I love Gary Thorne's voice, but I am tired of many of the phrases. The reason they haven't moved on with new commentary is because it would take way too long. Think of all the names they've recorded, and all the player-specific phrases. It might not seem like many when you're playing with or against the same teams in season mode, but it's a lot of recording to do in one year. Then think of all the international teams and players they record for, too. It's much easier for them to go back into the studio and just do some new names and a few new phrases each year, and hopefully retire some old phrases simultaneously.

Old
09-12-2011, 09:19 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Actually I'm pretty sure the PC version did have Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson together. I love Gary Thorne's voice, but I am tired of many of the phrases. The reason they haven't moved on with new commentary is because it would take way too long. Think of all the names they've recorded, and all the player-specific phrases. It might not seem like many when you're playing with or against the same teams in season mode, but it's a lot of recording to do in one year. Then think of all the international teams and players they record for, too. It's much easier for them to go back into the studio and just do some new names and a few new phrases each year, and hopefully retire some old phrases simultaneously.
Right, but they are using sound bytes from 2009, they can simply use the already recorded ones from Craig Simpson and Jim Hughston PC version.

What would suck would be for them to make new commentator recordings and just can the old ones instead of letting us choose or have it pick randomly.

Old
09-12-2011, 10:32 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Right, but they are using sound bytes from 2009, they can simply use the already recorded ones from Craig Simpson and Jim Hughston PC version.

What would suck would be for them to make new commentator recordings and just can the old ones instead of letting us choose or have it pick randomly.
Those PC recordings are even older though, and would lack many of the names in today's NHL, not to mention the foreign players that would be missing because they've added leagues since then.

What you're suggesting with the option between multiple commentaries is a cool idea, but it won't happen because of recording time, storage space, and the fact that these guys sign on probably wanting to be the "voice of" whatever game.

Old
09-12-2011, 10:40 AM
redfield85

Send a message via AIM to redfield85
Quote:
Originally Posted by teegale View Post
Won't be purchasing this years edition. Played the demo and if it weren't for the goalies falling over, I wouldn't be able to tell you whether I was playing 11 or 12. Tired of dishing out $60 a year for an updated roster.
Really? The whole goalie interaction changes the game completely. Not to mention the puck physics have been tweaked greatly it seems. I have been playing OTP since Friday and find the game to be completely different than last years. The goalie interaction/AI, hitting, and puck physics are subtle but greatly appreciated updates.

redfield85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:44 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

I've been playing the demo and I think it's pretty different from last years. Much more realistic, will take some time to get used to.

I'm getting it tonight at midnight, hopefully they have a roster update soon.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 12:12 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

Also, why do they remove names from the pronounceable list for your BAP? I guarentee you if pronger retired and wasn't in the game this year, they would remove Pronger from the pronounced list. That doesn't take up THAT much room on the DVD, which when you look, doesn't really take up much space on the disk anyway.

Madden lets you choose teams with the roster that they won the title with for that year. Too bad you can't choose a fantasy team like 94 Rangers, or 77 Canadians, etc.

The fact that they put the centennial Canadians in there means they CAN do it.

/rant
I agree that it minimally changes each year, but the changes do make the game better. I mean, last year's game was great and it was better than the one before it. And so forth and so on. I have no problem paying $60 for a slightly improved game with updated rosters. That's better than playing a worse game with worse rosters, isn't it?

As far as the old teams, I would LOVE to see that and hope they do it some day, but I think a lot of it has to do with licensing.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

I didn't see any mention of it so far in this thread so I figure I'd throw in this tidbit I ran across: you can now create female characters in NHL 12.

Link

Kinda cool how it happened. And yes, fighting females characters is allowed.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:04 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Any of you Canadian hosers picking it up at your midnight releases, I envy you. Feel free to take breaks and fill us in on how it is while I wait another 10+ hours to get my copy

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:13 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
I didn't see any mention of it so far in this thread so I figure I'd throw in this tidbit I ran across: you can now create female characters in NHL 12.

Link

Kinda cool how it happened. And yes, fighting females characters is allowed.
Cool indeed. I clicked on that link expecting to read about how some spoiled kid's parent were going to sue EA if they didn't implement female players. I was pleasently surprised

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:20 PM
redfield85

Send a message via AIM to redfield85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
And yes, fighting females characters is allowed.
I have fought two female goalies and beat both of them. One I hurt my fist on.

I played defense for the past year or two. I played a bit of it in OTP in the early access and was like -11 in 18 games, 12 points. I started playing center modeled after Keith Primeau (same height, weight, and stats I think he would have) and I have 25 points in 12 games and am a +20.

I think I see what position I am playing for the Penny Arcade Hotsteppers.

We are going to be on all day tomorrow.

redfield85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 02:12 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Not getting it until it drops to £15 or less. Not enough has been added

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 02:38 AM
Hollywood Couturier

I picked it up at midnight, currently playing EASHL.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:04 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Whoever played HUT in 2011, and when you had pucks left over... If you go to HUT Rewards, and follow the steps, they transfer over.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:15 AM
cheesesteak

NHL 11 is way to easy to score my shooting % is over 50%. There's a lot of dekes that work every time on the goalie. Also the same move to get past CPU d-men works everytime. This how a lot of people play OTP get the puck do that stupid move on the d-man, then do another stupid move on the goalie. Noway I'm staying with that for another year.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:47 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
NHL 11 is way to easy to score my shooting % is over 50%. There's a lot of dekes that work every time on the goalie. Also the same move to get past CPU d-men works everytime. This how a lot of people play OTP get the puck do that stupid move on the d-man, then do another stupid move on the goalie. Noway I'm staying with that for another year.
The one main deke from last year, doesn't work. They slowed it down, try the demo.

Old
09-13-2011, 10:58 AM
cheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
The one main deke from last year, doesn't work. They slowed it down, try the demo.
Yea I have I was talking about NHL 11 there's no way I'm staying with it for another year. I'm gonna pick 12 up later today.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:12 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Yea I have I was talking about NHL 11 there's no way I'm staying with it for another year. I'm gonna pick 12 up later today.
Oh, i thought you were done with the NHL series in general. My bad.

Old
09-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Whoever played HUT in 2011, and when you had pucks left over... If you go to HUT Rewards, and follow the steps, they transfer over.
Awesome news. Glad to hear that.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:02 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Awesome news. Glad to hear that.
Yeah, same. It was awesome. Hello 22K pucks.