HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Maxime Ouellet

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-08-2005, 03:33 PM
  #1
sunb
Registered User
 
sunb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Yale University
Country: China
Posts: 3,232
vCash: 500
Maxime Ouellet

Is it true that Washington placed him on waivers yesterday and he went unclaimed?

If so, he is pretty valueless right now, which is surprising since the HF staff has always considered him a top 50 prospect.

sunb is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 03:42 PM
  #2
Porn*
Registered User
 
Porn*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In your nightmares
Country: Israel
Posts: 34,187
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Porn*
Wow... hopefully the Leafs grab him

I'm shocked!


edit: link? he's still on the capitals roster/farm

Porn* is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 03:50 PM
  #3
mikefavata
A.I.M.
 
mikefavata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Juno Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
It's probally more of the fact that if they claimed him he'd have to be on the pro team. It's not like someone could claim him and send him down. At this point he's clearly not good enough to be anyone (not even the Capitals) backup.

But yea, Ouellet's pretty much a bust at this point.

mikefavata is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 03:53 PM
  #4
Nuclear
Registered User
 
Nuclear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 982
vCash: 500
Props go to Bobby Clarke when deserved

Nuclear is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 04:42 PM
  #5
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
Is it true that Washington placed him on waivers yesterday and he went unclaimed?

If so, he is pretty valueless right now, which is surprising since the HF staff has always considered him a top 50 prospect.
It's sad if true that the Caps have soured so quickly on Ouellet. He had a dominate year in the AHL a couple years ago but looked unfocused last year and bad in camp.

Ouellet&Semin.


EroCaps is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 04:45 PM
  #6
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,619
vCash: 500
so much for that one-sided Oates deal, eh? Caps wound up getting exactly nothing in return for Oates.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 04:57 PM
  #7
Spooky371*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
Washington Capitals traded Adam Oates to the Philadelphia Flyers for Maxime Ouellet, a 1st (later traded to Dallas - Martin Vagner), a 2nd (Maxime Daigneault) and a 3rd (Derek Krestanovich) round selections in 2002.

Absolutly. Someone know what Caps receive for the 1st round pick ?

Spooky371* is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 06:11 PM
  #8
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
so much for that one-sided Oates deal, eh? Caps wound up getting exactly nothing in return for Oates.
I'm not ready to completely write off Ouellet. I mean guys, he's only 24. On the other hand, I think with the talent level he was supposed to have, he should have an NHL team by now at least as a backup.

But then again, I can see your point. If he doesn't pick it up, that trade might not have been so one sides at all. Niittymaki's rapid development to franchise goalie level, combined with Ouellet's stagnant development made him expendable, it seems.

Brad* is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 06:21 PM
  #9
Winston Wolf
Registered User
 
Winston Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky371
Absolutly. Someone know what Caps receive for the 1st round pick ?
They moved up in the draft and picked Semin.

Winston Wolf is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 06:57 PM
  #10
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,864
vCash: 500
...who is still a Capitals property and a top-six winger. Seems to me that's something, albeit not a help in this (tanking) year. To argue Washington received nothing out of the deal is a puzzling conclusion.

It would certainly be accurate to say that Ouellet has no trade value, however. Passed through waivers and now in the minors. Cut and dry.

Drake1588 is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 06:58 PM
  #11
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I'm not ready to completely write off Ouellet. I mean guys, he's only 24. ie.
Absolutely true.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 07:00 PM
  #12
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
...who is still a Capitals property and a top-six winger. Seems to me that's something, albeit not a help in this (tanking) year.

It would certainly be accurate to say that Ouellet has no trade value, however. Passed through waivers and now in the minors. Cut and dry.
The same argument that Brad made for Ouellet also holds for Semin. We should all be a long, long way from writing him off.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 07:01 PM
  #13
mikefavata
A.I.M.
 
mikefavata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Juno Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
...who is still a Capitals property and a top-six winger. Seems to me that's something, albeit not a help in this (tanking) year. To argue Washington received nothing out of the deal is a puzzling conclusion.

It would certainly be accurate to say that Ouellet has no trade value, however. Passed through waivers and now in the minors. Cut and dry.
Actually, the fact he passed waivers boosts his trade value. Now the Capitals could trade him to another team and the recieving team could just stick him on the farm. Same with how Leighton was traded after clearing waivers.

mikefavata is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 07:01 PM
  #14
mrv52
Registered User
 
mrv52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf
They moved up in the draft and picked Semin.

Really the trade ended up nothing for nothing. Oates would most certainly been gone at the end of the year anyway.

With the magnitude of the Caps rebuild I am not so sure this is that much of an issue. Ouellete made it through waivers, who knows he might be able to turn it around.

mrv52 is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 07:03 PM
  #15
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
The same argument that Brad made for Ouellet also holds for Semin. We should all be a long, long way from writing him off.
Absolutely. The chances are strong that Semin is back in the NHL in the next couple of years, probably by next year. That alone should be well worth a rental/pending UFA from Washington's point of view.

Drake1588 is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 07:08 PM
  #16
mrv52
Registered User
 
mrv52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
Absolutely. The chances are strong that Semin is back in the NHL in the next couple of years, probably by next year. That alone should be well worth a rental/pending UFA from Washington's point of view.
Maybe. But are the Caps willing to put up with him?

By most accounts he was quite a handfull in the locker room.

mrv52 is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 08:40 PM
  #17
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,619
vCash: 500
I have to admit that I was being a little unfair about the Oates deal either way. The CAPs did get a lot of return for Oates and the fact that those picks didn't amount to much (yet) does not change that. I think I tend to take shots at the Oates deal because my buddy Burro often uses it as justification for his outrageous estimates of Witt's market value.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 08:47 PM
  #18
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,864
vCash: 500
Absolutely valid. There are some homers who continue to insist that the Caps fleeced the Flyers, and that the deal was terrible for the Flyers. I think it was a very smart trade that filled an immediate need heading into the playoffs for Philly. Good move at the time for Clarke, who is highly underrated as a GM, in my opinion.

It can still be a deal that pays dividends for the Caps in the long run, though. Semin's going to come back, in time. They also have Maxime Daigneault percolating as a goalie prospect in the minors (the second rounder from that trade).

Drake1588 is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 08:49 PM
  #19
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,619
vCash: 500
Makes sense to me. And, as I've said, I'm a long, long way from wanting to write Semin off. I still project him as top six forward.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
10-08-2005, 10:53 PM
  #20
Kirk Muller*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montréal
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
so much for that one-sided Oates deal, eh?
I always felt it was a not bad trade for Philadephia. At the time of it, they were in desperate need of attack and Oates was the #5 pointscorer in the NHL.

Kirk Muller* is offline  
Old
10-09-2005, 07:15 PM
  #21
Mothra
Registered User
 
Mothra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv52
Maybe. But are the Caps willing to put up with him?

By most accounts he was quite a handfull in the locker room.
source?

Mothra is offline  
Old
10-09-2005, 07:29 PM
  #22
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,454
vCash: 500
Maxime Ouellet would never be claimed off waivers, because who ever claims him would have to put him on the pro roster. If they dont back on waivers he goes.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
10-10-2005, 03:58 PM
  #23
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,427
vCash: 500
A few years ago, Mathieu Garon cleared waivers, but he worked his way back, and now is the "#1" for the Kings.

A guy like Daniel Briere cleared waivers once and he admitted that was a huge wakeup call for him. To that point, he'd been dogging it, assuming his natural talent would be enough to earn an NHL paycheck. To his credit, he worked hard and realized his potential.

Brodeur is offline  
Old
10-10-2005, 04:49 PM
  #24
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,864
vCash: 500
Ouellet can certainly rebound from this and return to become a viable NHL goaltender. For the purposes of this board, however, it is also fair to say that he does not presently have any trade value.

It's only worth mentioning because many posters have the tendency to toss players just passed through waivers into trade proposals. Ron Hainsey is only the most recent example. A player passing through waivers in the last month or so isn't going to have trade value... though that player can certainly have a renaissance and come back in later days as an NHL player. No doubt of that.

Drake1588 is offline  
Old
10-10-2005, 05:05 PM
  #25
Mothra
Registered User
 
Mothra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
Ouellet can certainly rebound from this and return to become a viable NHL goaltender. For the purposes of this board, however, it is also fair to say that he does not presently have any trade value.

It's only worth mentioning because many posters have the tendency to toss players just passed through waivers into trade proposals. Ron Hainsey is only the most recent example. A player passing through waivers in the last month or so isn't going to have trade value... though that player can certainly have a renaissance and come back in later days as an NHL player. No doubt of that.
I agree....but someone said earlier that passing thru waivers might increase value, seeing how they dont have to pass thru again. It makes sense that Max wasnt claimed. Correct me if I am wrong but whatever team would have claimed him would have had to use him as their backup.....or waive him in order to send him down to their farm club....and the process starts again

seeing how at that point most teams were set in goal...it makes sense that he wasnt claimed. Im willing to bet most if not all teams would like to have him in their system....but at the risk of playing him when he is not on his game, or blowing up their current goaltenting situations.....I can see why he went cleared

Mothra is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.