HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp Thread - Preseason Over Preds go 7-1 - Roster cutdown to 25

Old
09-13-2011, 12:14 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
What time is today's game?

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:48 PM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
What time is today's game?
It's in progress. Nashville is up 3-1 in the 3rd period. Smith scored 2 more goals and Shalla tallied the other.

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:10 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

As my friend in my office said...Smith looks like a man playing amongst boys right now.

Old
09-13-2011, 01:10 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
It's in progress. Nashville is up 3-1 in the 3rd period. Smith scored 2 more goals and Shalla tallied the other.
YESSSS!!!! Smith really is going at it. Good for Shalla, i think im one of few who believe in him

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:11 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Nope, I'm convinced he'll overcome any issues with size due to his smarts. When I watch him play the game I see him reading the play at such an elite level it really reminds me of HHOF'ers like Gretzky, Coffey, Kurri, Bourque, etc that it doesn't matter because he's in position to make a play before others even know there is a play to be made.

Watch him during the preseason. He just kinda floats around, then when the puck comes up to the point on a clear or breakout pass he's just there to make the play. We love Spaling's hockey sense, but Ellis is off the charts in terms of hockey IQ.
That's just it smaller players have to have quickness and smarts to keep from being hit that is what gets them this far and to have a natural point player for pp has me excited. Suter and Weber for all their greatness as a defensive players don't have the point presence. Knowing where the puck need to go is very important and hesitation is fatal and it gives the defender the edge. Thanks Seth for the insight

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
As my friend in my office said...Smith looks like a man playing amongst boys right now.
His shot is what impresses me the most. He gets it off so quick defenders barely have time to react. He also seems to have a knack for getting into those prime scoring positions at the right time. A sign of good offensive instincts.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:40 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
His shot is what impresses me the most. He gets it off so quick defenders barely have time to react. He also seems to have a knack for getting into those prime scoring positions at the right time. A sign of good offensive instincts.
Sounds like a pure goal scorer, something we've not seen here....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Boooooth10

Who the **** is this Smith guy? He has such a quick release. He looked great out there.

Boooooth10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Could Poile have really found a REAL diamond in the rough at forward?

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Enough of this man amongst boys garbage, I want to see what he can do against proven nhlers. Set it up Poile!

Any game updates on Beck?

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Could Poile have really found a REAL diamond in the rough at forward?
Noooooo. Don't be silly.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:11 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Just saw today's highlites. Smith's 2 goals were sweet. A one-timer blast from the top 'O the circle and the second was him passing to himself off the back boards.

Side note...The new whites look great on the ice.

Old
09-13-2011, 10:09 PM
glenngineer

One other thing about Ellis, if his size were an issue, how has he dominated in every league he's ever played in? Guys like Rafalski, St. Louis and Sullivan were or are able to play in the NHL. I think Ellis will be just fine. He's figured out how to compensate for his size with what others have said, great hockey IQ, which is something Franson never had but Ellis and Blum have. IQ and instincts make up for a lot of things. Guys can have physical tools, like Franson, but if you can't read the game, you're a pylon out on the ice.

And SLake, I'll take that trade with Ottawa any day of the week. Pickard and Beck instead of Karlsson or as others have mentioned Eberle. Yeah, I think we did ok at the end of the day. That draft year is pretty solid.

Looking at the drafts. We got Wilson, Pickard and this guy Josi in 2008. 2009 was Ellis, Budish, COR, then get this, Beck, Latta, Smith, Ekholm, Oliver, Bourque and Reid. That 2009 draft could turn out to be one of the best if not the best we've ever had. Even if half of them pan out, that's 5 possible NHL players and I'm thinking we've got 6 NHL players out of that lot. I didn't include Budish or COR in that 6 either. Pretty impressive. If you take the 3 from the year before, that's a possible 9 players in two drafts that could have an impact for us. Yeah, Poile's an idiot.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 01:25 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Only 2 goals for Smith on Tuesday? Slacker.

Apparently he's no David Legwand....he missed the empty net.

Really starting to look forward to see what he can do against actual NHL players.

Sounds like Pickard played well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
and am I the only one that couldn't give a care about ellis's size? He can seperated man from puck and plays his position. ...... If Cody Franson can sneak by as a 3rd pair guy, ellis can.
I still worry about his size. But, Franson had size, never used it. Ellis doesn't have size, probably doesn't need it.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:11 AM
thomas magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
Only 2 goals for Smith on Tuesday? Slacker.

Apparently he's no David Legwand....he missed the empty net.

Really starting to look forward to see what he can do against actual NHL players.

Sounds like Pickard played well.

I still worry about his size. But, Franson had size, never used it. Ellis doesn't have size, probably doesn't need it.
Ex-Thrasher fan with a perspective about defensemen that lack size...I've watched Enstrom play since he entered the NHL and Ellis is the same size as him. He has never had an issue regarding his size. If Ellis has the skill his size won't matter.

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:23 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas magnum View Post
Ex-Thrasher fan with a perspective about defensemen that lack size...I've watched Enstrom play since he entered the NHL and Ellis is the same size as him. He has never had an issue regarding his size. If Ellis has the skill his size won't matter.
Enstrom is a far better skater than Ellis though. I'm not so much worried about Ellis's size as I am his size combined with his slow footspeed.

About Smith -- I've been comparing him to Joe Pavelski since I first saw him play for Wisconsin. I think that's probably the closest comparable to an existing NHL player.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
One other thing about Ellis, if his size were an issue, how has he dominated in every league he's ever played in? Guys like Rafalski, St. Louis and Sullivan were or are able to play in the NHL. I think Ellis will be just fine. He's figured out how to compensate for his size with what others have said, great hockey IQ, which is something Franson never had but Ellis and Blum have. IQ and instincts make up for a lot of things. Guys can have physical tools, like Franson, but if you can't read the game, you're a pylon out on the ice.

And SLake, I'll take that trade with Ottawa any day of the week. Pickard and Beck instead of Karlsson or as others have mentioned Eberle. Yeah, I think we did ok at the end of the day. That draft year is pretty solid.

Looking at the drafts. We got Wilson, Pickard and this guy Josi in 2008. 2009 was Ellis, Budish, COR, then get this, Beck, Latta, Smith, Ekholm, Oliver, Bourque and Reid. That 2009 draft could turn out to be one of the best if not the best we've ever had. Even if half of them pan out, that's 5 possible NHL players and I'm thinking we've got 6 NHL players out of that lot. I didn't include Budish or COR in that 6 either. Pretty impressive. If you take the 3 from the year before, that's a possible 9 players in two drafts that could have an impact for us. Yeah, Poile's an idiot.
I promise you, I was not one of those people who cheered Pickard's selection. In fact, I booed it. Look, I am as happy as anyone that we got Wilson and Josi etc and I am not saying Poile is stupid, I am saying the Pickard pick was stupid. And it was. The offensive players that were available at that position were too good to pass up. At the time we had Rinne in the system who we were told was going to be our starter for the future since the time we drafted him. At least that was my impression.

I am not saying Poile was an idiot, I am saying the Pickard pick was foolish and trying to defend it is garbage. Even if Pickard had panned out we would still have a log jam at goaltender and a serious lack of talent in our forward prospects.

Just like you, I am thrilled with the success our prospects and I think Poile is a GREAT drafter, but the Pickard pick and the Finely pick are examples of why you NEVER take goalies in the first round. That's all.

How bout them preds?

Old
09-14-2011, 08:30 AM
thomas magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Enstrom is a far better skater than Ellis though. I'm not so much worried about Ellis's size as I am his size combined with his slow footspeed.

About Smith -- I've been comparing him to Joe Pavelski since I first saw him play for Wisconsin. I think that's probably the closest comparable to an existing NHL player.
Well that could be a problem then because Enstrom was a great skater. Always in position and used his stick really well. He actually uses a much longer stick than most people his size.

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:32 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
2009 was Ellis, Budish, COR, then get this, Beck, Latta, Smith, Ekholm, Oliver, Bourque and Reid.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Agreed. Ellis isn't likely to make it at the NHL level due to his skating and size combined.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:36 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I've never noticed Ellis speed being bad it's just not elite. His positioning and vision are enough for him to maintain at even strength and excel on the powerplay.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Agreed. Ellis isn't likely to make it at the NHL level due to his skating and size combined.
No size + not good skater = problem. I have been trying to say this since we drafted him but no one wants to listen. I think he will excel at the power play, but I feel he will be manhandled against larger, stronger forwards who are strong on their skates.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Maybe, but Budish is likely a bust; he has missed two key development years with injuries. COR has regressed. Oliver and Reid are nobodies. Ellis is iffy as he isn't likely to stick at the NHL level because of his skating and size.

Still, Beck, Smith, Ekholm and Borque look like great prospects, which if all of those pan out we would an outstanding draft. Our drafts traditionally produce 2 solid NHL guys (perhaps 3 if we are lucky). So 4 or 5 (if Latta does it too, doubtful) would be outstanding. That alone would likely be our best draft. And if one more guy panned out say Ellis... WOW.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:39 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
I highly doubt he's as slow as fruit cup was. I think Ellis is very likely to make it in the NHL because you don't just break every freaking record and suck.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Maybe, but Budish is likely a bust; he has missed two key development years with injuries. COR has regressed. Oliver and Reid are nobodies. Ellis is iffy as he isn't likely to stick at the NHL level because of his skating and size.

Still, Beck, Smith, Ekholm and Borque look like great prospects, which if all of those pan out we would an outstanding draft. Our drafts traditionally produce 2 solid NHL guys (perhaps 3 if we are lucky). So 4 or 5 (if Latta does it too, doubtful) would be outstanding. That alone would likely be our best draft. And if one more guy panned out say Ellis... WOW.
I had a friend who played for UofM who said Budish had a terrible attitude too.

It was a really good draft class. I have high hopes for these guys but I think people are pumping ellis' tires a little too much. I see him being a better version of marc andre bergeron or a lesser Rafalski