HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why don't players get paid during the offseason?

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Ishdul

vCash: 500
What's the difference to you? Is it really any different whether John Q. Hockeyplayer is paid $50K a game or $157,692.31 every two weeks for the full year if it all works out the same? They're not going to get an actual salary increase, and it seems like a weird thing to advocate for when they've already got a good deal going.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:14 PM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
Same reason teachers don't get paid during the summer. They aren't working.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

A smart NHL player and player-agent will consider a contract's yearly salary as effectively being spread out over 12 months rather than the length of the regular season. The players understand this when signing their deals - offseason income is usually negligible for most of these athletes. At that point, it becomes a case of when their checks should arrive. Well, most of them would want the bulk of the money as soon as possible after the start of the contract year (October, I would guess). This is because they can immediately invest the sum and gain interest on it over time. Larger bank accounts yield larger income, I'm sure you understand.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by son of earl View Post
Same reason teachers don't get paid during the summer. They aren't working.
Totally not true at all. Teachers often work very hard during summer months.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:19 PM
zeus3007*

Really? This is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've read.

A million dollars = A million dollars

It doesn't matter if its paid out over 8 months or 12, its the same amount. If a player can't budget to save enough to live without a payday for four months out of a million dollar (or hell, even half a mill), then his biggest issue isn't the amount of money, its being smart enough to manage it.

Not all players make promotional appearances during the summer months, and as long as the player is under contract, the team can use his likeness, that's just part of being a pro athlete.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Sayuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
Depends. But teachers can get paid over the summer, they can choose to get their salary paid in equal increments over 12 or 10 months or receive a lump payout for july and august at the end of june along with equal salary pay over the 10 months school year.

Still the same amount whichever way they choose to receive it.

But yes teachers do put in quite a bit of work over the summer months, or some of them do.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:22 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Actually, it was partially true. Unless they are new teachers who work a second job during the summer (which many do), teachers are given over 2 months off of work. I know a number of teachers, and all of them take at LEAST 6 weeks for "vacation" or "rest time". That's more than any other average joe in a job in similar pay scale. They do work hard in the weeks leading up to the school year, it certainly isn't a "show up on the first day of class" type deal, they need to prepare for their job outside of work. And a lot of jobs have people doing that.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Really? This is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've read.

A million dollars = A million dollars

It doesn't matter if its paid out over 8 months or 12, its the same amount. If a player can't budget to save enough to live without a payday for four months out of a million dollar (or hell, even half a mill), then his biggest issue isn't the amount of money, its being smart enough to manage it.

Not all players make promotional appearances during the summer months, and as long as the player is under contract, the team can use his likeness, that's just part of being a pro athlete.
It is not that a player should receive his playing salary over the course of a full 12 months, it is that they should receive an offseason wage on top of it imo. This would compensate the players for their labours during this period.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Doctor No

Quote:
Sorry, but does this not translate in to a 'race to the bottom' type of argument? It is kind of like saying ''minimum wage is a good wage for an employee of a hugely profitable company because it is higher than no wage''. Owners have been on record as saying that they wanted the players to be 'partners' - why don't they treat them as such then?
Your suggestion appears to be that the players should try to negotiate a larger percentage of the pie in the next CBA negotiations.

Is that your suggestion, or is it something else? Please clarify.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Actually, it was partially true. Unless they are new teachers who work a second job during the summer (which many do), teachers are given over 2 months off of work. I know a number of teachers, and all of them take at LEAST 6 weeks for "vacation" or "rest time". That's more than any other average joe in a job in similar pay scale. They do work hard in the weeks leading up to the school year, it certainly isn't a "show up on the first day of class" type deal, they need to prepare for their job outside of work. And a lot of jobs have people doing that.
Ya, fair enough. It is just the spin that 'all teachers are lazy' and they do not work at all during holidays that I feel needs to be corrected every now and then.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Seachd

Hey, while we're at it, why don't we pay them for the playoffs too?

Obviously, they shouldn't get paid any more than their yearly salary, because, well, that's what a yearly salary is.

If it bothers them that they get bigger paychecks for 8 months instead of smaller ones for 12, then all the power to them to get it changed.

Somehow I don't think they care.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Your suggestion appears to be that the players should try to negotiate a larger percentage of the pie in the next CBA negotiations.

Is that your suggestion, or is it something else? Please clarify.
My main suggestion is that this 'revenue pie' and salary cap stuff be eliminated, and it hopefully will be. I just feel that players should receive an offseason wage which reflects their labours and financial value to the teams which employ them, that's all.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd;36671517[B
]Hey, while we're at it, why don't we pay them for the playoffs too?[/B]

Obviously, they shouldn't get paid any more than their yearly salary, because, well, that's what a yearly salary is.

If it bothers them that they get bigger paychecks for 8 months instead of smaller ones for 12, then all the power to them to get it changed.

Somehow I don't think they care.

In the old (and better) CBA, players did receive large performance bonuses for playoff appearances and success.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Kilika

How often do players actually receive a paycheck? biweekly? Its not they live from paycheck to paycheck. I always assumed they are being paid as long as they are under contract and not a free agent.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Doctor No

Quote:
My main suggestion is that this 'revenue pie' and salary cap stuff be eliminated, and it hopefully will be. I just feel that players should receive an offseason wage which reflects their labours and financial value to the teams which employ them, that's all.
You're dancing around this. Are you suggesting that players deserve more money, in total, than they are currently receiving?

If the answer is "yes", then I think that we can safely close the thread.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
You're dancing around this. Are you suggesting that players deserve more money, in total, than they are currently receiving?

If the answer is "yes", then I think that we can safely close the thread.
I think players should be subject to an open and free marketplace where they can be compensated fairly for their labour, just like the one Bob Goodenow passionately fought for. That is what they, or anyone else for that matter 'deserves'. If it means more actual money or not, who knows. But they should have that opportunity if it does.

I do not/would not like or want to be unfairly taken advantage of for my services, and I would not want anyone else to be either.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
They make more then enough in the regular season.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Seachd

Quote:
In the old (and better) CBA, players did receive large performance bonuses for playoff appearances and success.
That's great, but as Doctor No says, you seem to be pimping your "the old CBA rules" stance and not arguing what the title of the thread makes it seem like you intend.

It's quite obvious why they don't get paid during the offseason. I have no idea how anyone could argue against the reasoning.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Seachd

Quote:
I think players should be subject to an open and free marketplace where they can be compensated fairly for their labour, just like the one Bob Goodenow passionately fought for. That is what they, or anyone else for that matter 'deserves'. If it means more actual money or not, who knows. But they should have that opportunity if it does.

I do not/would not like or want to be unfairly taken advantage of for my services, and I would not want anyone else to be either.
Again, you're ignoring the fact that they have a yearly salary that pays them for the entire year. They're not getting ripped off here.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:48 PM
MildlyAwesome
Rational Leaf Fan

They are contracted. Think of it this way, you are a freelancer for HockeyFutures.com.

You are contracted to write 5 articles per month. But, even though you aren't working on a certain month, you are expected to keep up with prospects. Meanwhile, HockeyFutures.com says "Not only that but just don't make sure you do anything that wouldn't make us want to work with you when we work together in the future".

I.e getting into trouble, breaking your fingers, not keeping up with the latest in your field etc.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Doctor No

Quote:

This thread seems more appropriate for the Business forum.

Closed Thread