HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Smith makes the Opening Night Roster

Old
09-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Klash71

vCash: 500
Craig Smith makes the Opening Night Roster

Hey guys i've been watching Smith since early last year develop at an extremely fast pace!After him leaving college hockey to go pro and now impressing at the rookie camp,what do you think his chances are of making the opening night roster?and what kind of numbers is he capable of putting up?

Klash71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:51 PM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Don't look now, but he has 2 more goals today against the Florida rookies.

I would say he has a very good chance to make the opening night roster. Poile obviously thought he could have an impact this season and convinced him to turn pro. If he continues to light the lamp at this pace during camp, there is no way they are going to send him to Milwaukee.

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:01 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

At this point, it looks like he at least gets a 9-game tryout.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:05 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

we may have struck gold =0

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:09 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Smith is making me happy. Bada ba ba ba. Im lovin it!

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:13 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

He came within 3 inches of another hat trick. I think he may be ready for Milwaukee.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
Don't look now, but he has 2 more goals today against the Florida rookies.

I would say he has a very good chance to make the opening night roster. Poile obviously thought he could have an impact this season and convinced him to turn pro. If he continues to light the lamp at this pace during camp, there is no way they are going to send him to Milwaukee.
Why did you use the word convinced? That would imply that Smith didn't want to turn pro but Poile talked him into it. Or am I reading too deep into your comment?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:18 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

he is in the same boat as a few of our other rookies. He will need to have an exceptional camp to displace a veteran or a 2nd year forward. The nine game tryout rule doesn't apply to him since he would go to the ads, not junior. I wouldn't get too excited about what he is doing against other rookies, as he is playing against guys a couple years younger than him. he just tuned 22 on Sept 5.

Being said, does he have the talent to make the team? yes. for sure. At this point vs the rookies, guys like him, ellis, beck, etc, should be able to dominate younger, less physically mature players. I think a better gadge will be when camp opens and see how he looks against some of the NHL teams, esp. on the road where he will play against the nhl talent wheras at home he plays against other rookies and ahl talent.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:55 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Why did you use the word convinced? That would imply that Smith didn't want to turn pro but Poile talked him into it. Or am I reading too deep into your comment?
he didn't want to turn pro. he said for some time he wanted to go back to UW this fall, but Poile\Trotz essentially told him, "our team has trouble scoring. if you can score, you're going to make our team"

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 02:21 PM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I assume that there was some convincing by Poile and Trotz, but obviously we can't be sure. He definitely sounded like he was set on returning to Wisconsin a few months ago.

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
At this point, it looks like he at least gets a 9-game tryout.
There is no 9 game tryout with Smith as he was drafted out of the USHL and is not subject to CHL rules. Smith can be assigned to Milwaukee if he doesn't make the opening night roster.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 03:37 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
he is in the same boat as a few of our other rookies. He will need to have an exceptional camp to displace a veteran or a 2nd year forward. The nine game tryout rule doesn't apply to him since he would go to the ads, not junior. I wouldn't get too excited about what he is doing against other rookies, as he is playing against guys a couple years younger than him. he just tuned 22 on Sept 5. .
So put his 2 game performance in perspective for someone who doesn't know a lot about how players develop and mature. Would SK74, or Erat, or Willy score 6 goals in two games against these rookies?

Have we ever had a player who scored at will at rookie camp? Maybe Radulov - Anyone remember? Linus Klasen might have last year, but was knocked out.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 03:43 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Have we ever had a player who scored at will at rookie camp? Maybe Radulov - Anyone remember? Linus Klasen might have last year, but was knocked out.
Cooper - Poile on Craig Smith: "He was as dominant a player Iíve seen in a rookie tournament in all the years Iíve been with the Predators"

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 03:59 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

In the next couple weeks we'll see how dominant Smith is against higher quality competition. This has been an impressive 48 hours but the real test is in camp and the later preseason games.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Seth Lake

Thing to think about is yesterday Smith scored against a goalie competing for an AHL position that's fresh out of college. Today, Smith scored against a guy considered to be the best goalie outside of North America (even when Lindback stole the starter's role from him) before he came over last year and is expected to play for the Panthers this season.

Smith is legit. Not sure where he will start, but he will finish the season in a gold jersey...

Old
09-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
So put his 2 game performance in perspective for someone who doesn't know a lot about how players develop and mature. Would SK74, or Erat, or Willy score 6 goals in two games against these rookies?

An NHL player would stand out as Smith did on this stage. The game would be slowed down for them allowing them to make plays and score goals pretty much at will. These games proved that Smith is likely NHL ready.

Old
09-13-2011, 05:19 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Some people forgot what Smith did at the World Classics this year. He was arguably the best player for team USA during that tourny. That was against a lot of the best.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 05:41 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

don't take me as not getting excited about what he did as an indication that i am not excited to see what he can do. I think, barring an all world camp, he starts in milwaukee and ends up in nashville at some point.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
he is in the same boat as a few of our other rookies. He will need to have an exceptional camp to displace a veteran or a 2nd year forward. The nine game tryout rule doesn't apply to him since he would go to the ads, not junior. I wouldn't get too excited about what he is doing against other rookies, as he is playing against guys a couple years younger than him. he just tuned 22 on Sept 5.

Being said, does he have the talent to make the team? yes. for sure. At this point vs the rookies, guys like him, ellis, beck, etc, should be able to dominate younger, less physically mature players. I think a better gadge will be when camp opens and see how he looks against some of the NHL teams, esp. on the road where he will play against the nhl talent wheras at home he plays against other rookies and ahl talent.
Keep in mind that the guys he was facing today are much more physically mature than you may realize, particularly on defense. The Panthers had the following d-men out there today (don't know who the 6th guy was): Adam Comrie (21 yrs old, 6'4" 210 lbs), Colby Robak (21 yrs old 6'3" 200 lbs), Roman Derlyuk (25 yrs old, 6'5" 200 lbs), Alex Petrovic (19 yrs old 6'4 200 lbs), Erik Gudbranson (6'4" 215 lbs). Comrie and Robak both turned pro last yr and Derlyuk has been playing in the KHL for the last several yrs against men. He really shouldn't have been able to dominate against what the Panthers were sending out there today. Also FL had several of its more experienced forwards on the ice too (Jenks, Timmins, Selleck were all in the AHL last season). This game should be a good barometer of whether he's going to be ready for the pro game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Thing to think about is yesterday Smith scored against a goalie competing for an AHL position that's fresh out of college. Today, Smith scored against a guy considered to be the best goalie outside of North America (even when Lindback stole the starter's role from him) before he came over last year and is expected to play for the Panthers this season.

Smith is legit. Not sure where he will start, but he will finish the season in a gold jersey...
Just wanted to say that the last part is not true. Tallon has said several times that Markstrom is most likely headed to San Antonio to start this yr. For him to be playing with the Panthers, either injuries occur or Clemmensen would need to be traded. But yes you're correct that facing a much more talented player in Markstrom is significant when looking at what Smith did (also when combined with my comments above).

yeah I think you guys have found a real gem but I'm sure you will develop him right and give him a little time down on the farm too. I know that our asst. GM Santos learned that from his time in Nashville and glad he's bringing that approach to the plethora of Panther prospects we now have. I think a lot of hockey fans are going to be watching this kid closely during preseason.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 06:24 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
An NHL player would stand out as Smith did on this stage. The game would be slowed down for them allowing them to make plays and score goals pretty much at will. These games proved that Smith is likely NHL ready.
I was thinking along those lines. Do you remember how Radulov performed during these Rookie games -- if they had them when he was breaking into the NHL. I recall Rads having a monster year in the QMJHL. And sending him to MIL his first season as a professional, but not keeping him there long at all. Can you compare the two, strengths and weaknesses at this point in each of their careers???

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
he didn't want to turn pro. he said for some time he wanted to go back to UW this fall, but Poile\Trotz essentially told him, "our team has trouble scoring. if you can score, you're going to make our team"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
I assume that there was some convincing by Poile and Trotz, but obviously we can't be sure. He definitely sounded like he was set on returning to Wisconsin a few months ago.
Oh ok, I totally missed the boat on that whole situation apparently.

Seems like it was the right decision so far. Still too early to tell. Going to school for only 2 years is a pretty common path for the better players to take.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Predatorbill

vCash: 406
If you believe in galactic karma then he will be the real deal. Other teams goalscorers will be Ovechkin, Crosby, etc, if the Preds get a real goalscorer his name will be Smith. Is there any other name a true goalscorer on the Preds should have? Jones?

Predatorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:37 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatorbill View Post
If you believe in galactic karma then he will be the real deal. Other teams goalscorers will be Ovechkin, Crosby, etc, if the Preds get a real goalscorer his name will be Smith. Is there any other name a true goalscorer on the Preds should have? Jones?
bubba!

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:58 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Some people forgot what Smith did at the World Classics this year. He was arguably the best player for team USA during that tourny. That was against a lot of the best.
That's what I was gonna post. Did everyone forget that he was playing against a lot of nhl players in that tourny? He can score.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:01 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatorbill View Post
We tried that one already...

I think Smith stays with the team very deep into camp and then gets sent to Milwaukee. I suspect, however, that he will finish the season as a Predator, and Geoffrion will likely join him in that category.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote