HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will there be a female referee in the NHL in the near future?

Old
09-13-2011, 02:06 AM
Anodyne

vCash: 500
"Unsportsmanlike conduct: it's not what you said, it's how you said it."

But yes, I don't see why they couldn't.

Anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 02:28 AM
HookeyPookey*

The issue is complicated in Hockey due to the physical requirments of a ref, course in alot of other Sports the refs blow the whistle and that's it fall in line or be selfish and rob your team of an opportunity. In hockey however I dunno what would a female ref do when Chara & Downie are fighting, just defer to the Male refs? Or go in and get involved cop a stray elbow and suddenly someone's a woman basher

HookeyPookey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:13 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsson uhhh View Post
"Unsportsmanlike conduct: it's not what you said, it's how you said it."

But yes, I don't see why they couldn't.
That's actually a somewhat valid point: Would there be an increase of "disparaging comments" toward a referee were they a woman? Would there "sexual harassment" claims? How many more Misconduct penalties would we see as a result of lude or otherwise inappropriate remarks?

I'm all for a woman being able to officiate a game, but she'd have to have some very thick skin and not be offended by "Hey Ref, ****ing **** me" comments if someone doesn't like a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
I had to scroll all the way down to say NO!
They can;t skate fast enough or break up a fight
Not sure if trolling, or just very stupid.

You are aware that there are a ton of women who teach power and speed skating classes to hockey players of all levels, right? Just like a car, power to weight ratio is more a concern here rather than sheer muscle mass/size/whatever cockamamie arbitrary stat you want to toss around.

Last edited by RedMenace: 09-13-2011 at 08:18 AM.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Human Thumb*

so basically the only "point" hf came come up with is breaking up fights

Human Thumb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:30 AM
hoss75

With female refs in college football, the NFL having female refs and scrimmages; I think it shows that women can and are willing to handle the physical demands of officiating giants.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:34 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Hire them from Athena Bodyguards. They got some hotties on that site that can also kick your ass.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Dillbotnik

The EIHL in the UK uses female officials and they work out just fine as you'd expect.

In (association) football there was a bit of a controversy early this year when a commentator believing his microphone was turned off joked that a female linesman didn't know the offside rule.

Dillbotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Kimi

Yeah, this is all kinda strange to read really. I'm use to seeing female refs in the league over here, so it's not really a topic that makes sense to me. I've seen it done, I don't understand why it's really a question.

In other sports it's not unexpected to see female refs too, yeah there's a lot fewer but they're not unheard of. In football there was one who was on the short list for the FIFA world cup as an assistant few years ago, only reason they didn't get picked was that they failed the physical IIRC.

Kimi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 12:16 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

It'll happen eventually. As much as people talk about the players being so much bigger and imposing, the players also have pretty stringent guidelines about conduct around officials that protects themselves and the officials from harm, even in a scrum or fight situation.

If they're as qualified as anyone else do it then I don't see any reason that there'd be a barrier. If there are no female officials currently in the NHL that might speak more to the quality of the officiating that the top females referees provide rather than something like their height or weight or gender.

If women's hockey continues to grow so to will the number of female referees. It's a natural transition for young players to make if they aren't cut out for playing at a high level.

Also, it's been mentioned before but there are female officials in other sports at a very high level, including MMA where it's two guys or girls in a ring/cage beating each other up for a living. For the record, the MMA ref in question has done UFC events and, is at worst, average amongst her peers.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 02:00 PM
ibeleaf98*

Isn't there already one?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...wedish-referee

ibeleaf98* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 02:37 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

I see no reason a female couldn't ref at the NHL level. Not sure if we will any time soon, though, which is unfortunate.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 05:52 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

lol @ all the naysayers if you were born before 1980 raise your hands. what does size have to do with anything? when do linesmen jump in? after the fight is over or before it starts .... i love how you guys pretend somehow the linesmen jump in and start taking names....

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote