HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Latest on New YEG Arena?

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2011, 01:45 PM
HallOfGreatness4

vCash: 500
Latest on New YEG Arena?

Been out of touch lately, got married and just returned from cruise. I'm getting excited for the start of a new season.

What is the latest on this front? Is it going to get done? If so when and where?

I am already planning my first trip up to see an Oilers game in Edmonton and can't wait to see both the old barn and new!

Old
09-13-2011, 01:55 PM
dmacin2*

I think the latest is that stelmach has no choice but to leave it for the next administration. We are looking at months not weeks for a resolution.

Old
09-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

This is really getting lame, I sure hope they have already started on whatever they can in the meantime. We all know this is going to get done.

Also I though Stelmach said he was going to give the money and now we ahve to wait for the next administration?

Old
09-13-2011, 02:29 PM
HallOfGreatness4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
This is really getting lame, I sure hope they have already started on whatever they can in the meantime. We all know this is going to get done.

Also I though Stelmach said he was going to give the money and now we ahve to wait for the next administration?
It is getting lame.

Old
09-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
FWIW Katz moved to Vancouver

http://www.theprovince.com/business/...992/story.html

what that means for the future of the Oilers or the arena... I do not know

Old
09-13-2011, 03:33 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
FWIW Katz moved to Vancouver

http://www.theprovince.com/business/...992/story.html

what that means for the future of the Oilers or the arena... I do not know
Absolutely nothing.

The most overblown stupid story of the year.

Old
09-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Hockey Nightmare

So how are we supposed to spin this? He's moving the team to Van?

Seriously, it's one thing for the media to have legitimate reservations about the arena, it's another to come out with lame crap like this.

Old
09-13-2011, 03:41 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Absolutely nothing.

The most overblown stupid story of the year.
Once again this is a story that happened months ago, but is being brought up as if it just happened.

Old
09-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Hahaha, Ed Gibbons' comments in that article are beyond laughable. Grow up.

Old
09-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Hahaha, Ed Gibbons' comments in that article are beyond laughable. Grow up.
No kidding

Seems Ed has become the go-to guy when it comes to absurd soundbites regarding anything surrounding the arena.

Old
09-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Hockey Nightmare

These tactics are beginning to remind me of the Envision Edmonton muni thing.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
No kidding

Seems Ed has become the go-to guy when it comes to absurd soundbites regarding anything surrounding the arena.
It's propaganda on Gibbons' part, pure and simple. I remember reading something about Katz spending a lot of time on the west coast three years ago.

This is ancient and doesn't even qualify as news.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Regardless it's a nice place in a nice area and the dude has the cash, I'd buy it too if I could.

As a business man $15 million is a steal for that place, given its size and $/sq ft compared to what other places are selling for in there.

Old
09-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
haha my coworker just read the article and told me that Katz is milking Edmonton taxpayers for as much as he can before he moves the team

Old
09-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Auguste Escoffier

No. Nothing. This is Edmonton. It takes ten years to accomplish something in Edmonton.

Old
09-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

This may as well be the "wheres Katz living the most" thread. Theres really nothing new on the arena.

But aside from that and mentions of Vancouver penthouse meaning nothing it *could* signal a declining interest in Edmonton. Also it makes it a little more difficult for instance to meet with anybody here on an ongoing basis re the Arena if you're in Vancouver all the time.
Katz is difficult to reach or communicate with at the best of times. This isn't good news. One of the main problems throughout and the reason this whole arena thing is bogged down is the lack of ongoing meetings involving all parties.
What seems to be required here is putting everybody in a ring and staying put until all details are ironed out. I do think that a lack of ongoing and regular contact by Katz in the process contributes to this taking so long.

Old
09-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This may as well be the "wheres Katz living the most" thread. Theres really nothing new on the arena.

But aside from that and mentions of Vancouver penthouse meaning nothing it *could* signal a declining interest in Edmonton. Also it makes it a little more difficult for instance to meet with anybody here on an ongoing basis re the Arena if you're in Vancouver all the time.
Katz is difficult to reach or communicate with at the best of times. This isn't good news. One of the main problems throughout and the reason this whole arena thing is bogged down is the lack of ongoing meetings involving all parties.
What seems to be required here is putting everybody in a ring and staying put until all details are ironed out. I do think that a lack of ongoing and regular contact by Katz in the process contributes to this taking so long.
In an era with the quality and quanity of ways to communicate over long distance(not to mention he likely owns a jet), it's a bit of a stretch to suggest Katz would somehow be hard to contact or get ahold of if needed. He's got his people spearheading the project anyways. If he's needed, he comes out and does his thing, but he's hardly essential to the process.

Nothing needs to be ironed out anyways, everyone is just sitting on their hands while they wait out the results of the provincial election for the last bit of funding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
haha my coworker just read the article and told me that Katz is milking Edmonton taxpayers for as much as he can before he moves the team
Yeah, he's moving the team to Vancouver obviously.

The city was so impressed with the riot last spring, they want to have 2 riots running at the same time. PPV royalties of the fights between oiler rioters and nuck rioters fighting over police cars to torch could be a great source of income.

Old
09-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

This "Katz lives in Vancouver," stuff is just re-hashed propaganda. I'm 100 percent certain that the Edmonton Sun reported something similar three years ago.

Old
09-13-2011, 07:37 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

scum bag Katz:

Builds billion dollar house in Edmonton,

Lives in Vancouver.

Old
09-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
This "Katz lives in Vancouver," stuff is just re-hashed propaganda. I'm 100 percent certain that the Edmonton Sun reported something similar three years ago.
You play the local boy card, this is going to happen. No way around it.

Old
09-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Auguste Escoffier

If his son actually attends a private school in Vancouver, then obviously Katz doesn't live in Edmonton, right? Big deal. As long as the team stays.

Old
09-13-2011, 08:34 PM
harpoon
FOB

Is the hold up not the provincial government? Unless I'm misunderstanding the situation , Katz and the City (after squabbling for months) seem to have come to an agreement .

Richest province in Canada can't come up with the money to even float a low interest loan for a large building project in its capital city?

Old
09-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Is the hold up not the provincial government? Unless I'm misunderstanding the situation , Katz and the City (after squabbling for months) seem to have come to an agreement .

Richest province in Canada can't come up with the money to even float a low interest loan for a large building project in its capital city?
Just goes to show how incompetant the PC's have actually been, produced billions of barrels of oil and the province is net in debt. Similar jurisdictions have multi-billions in their savings funds; but we get some of the lowest Oil royalties in the world. Yup, good luck getting an arena from these clowns.

Old
09-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post

Alberta wants to be in the black within in the next couple of years.

Really, though, the Tories know Calgary would ask for the same, if not more, since Edmonton is receiving funding for the RAM and other projects. Similar reasoning as to why the Harper Government did not support Edmonton's 2017 bid.

Old
09-13-2011, 08:47 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
If his son actually attends a private school in Vancouver, then obviously Katz doesn't live in Edmonton, right? Big deal. As long as the team stays.
In reality having a 20 million dollar home in Edmonton did not insure that that team was going to stay in Edmonton.

Having a Condo in Vancouver certainly doesn't insure he is moving the team, selling the team etc.

There are many snowbirds in Edmonton and most of them are not billionaires!

Closed Thread