HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Traverse City: New York Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes (3:00pm) MSG(HD)

Old
09-13-2011, 05:13 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Yeah, all in all it was an average tournament for him and i'm holding him to to high a bar to be pleased with that.

Also before everybody randomly attacks Thomas keep in mind this was his real first noticeable mistake.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 05:14 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
When you play at a high level you have to think ahead of the play.

Thomas had an easy play to make and he failed.
Thinking ahead shouldn't involve crossing the blue line while the puck is still barely in the zone. He was on the only dman on the ice. He should have waited before jumping up into the attack.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 05:26 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

D'oh! we lost? let me start blindly blaming random skaters and coaches.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 05:34 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

They didn't play that great today, but I'm expecting a good bounceback game VS Buffalo.

Thought Ceresnak looked better out there.
Love the way Erixon just shoots with reckless abandon.
Thought Miller looked the best he's looked all tournament.

That penalty call against McIlrath in OT was horse ****. I hate the way the players can work the ref by holding on to a stick and taking a fall.

Hagelin looked good.

I'm ready for Buffalo tomorrow night, going to be mayhem in my apartment during the game

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
D'oh! we lost? let me start blindly blaming random skaters and coaches.
blame? no blame, more observation of different players. Erixon was amazing, he's sorta playing the opposite of McIlrath...he's improving from period to period, and McIlrath is heading in the opposite direction.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 06:11 PM
TreeSapLlama

While I haven't watched today's game yet, McIlrath's biggest problem is consistancy. This is to be expected from someone who is still ~2 years away from the NHL.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Hmm, haven't watched the game yet -- Optimum says that "Hockey" is supposed to be on, but there's some garbage about the Knicks on. What's the deal?

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
blame? no blame, more observation of different players. Erixon was amazing, he's sorta playing the opposite of McIlrath...he's improving from period to period, and McIlrath is heading in the opposite direction.
Actually think his second game was better than his first but what are you gonna do

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:00 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

mcilraths problems today are a continuation of what i posted after the first game. hes played in all 3 games and hes been shaky in all. at the same time, erixon has stood out as our overall best player.

for a guy whos supposed to be such a stud prospect, his overall on ice game is rather weak. when you watch him closely, he seems tentative and unsure of his role on the ice. not what i was expecting.

not gonna repeat myself as ive already highlighted his issues. this kid is a long way away.

im feeling rather down about him today. the problems i see are more related to his actual skills and hockey sense- its been poor at best. and that to me is a concern

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:26 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

You are gonna rag on him through his 15 year Rangers career..
We all know you wanted a Russian..Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
mcilraths problems today are a continuation of what i posted after the first game. hes played in all 3 games and hes been shaky in all. at the same time, erixon has stood out as our overall best player.

for a guy whos supposed to be such a stud prospect, his overall on ice game is rather weak. when you watch him closely, he seems tentative and unsure of his role on the ice. not what i was expecting.

not gonna repeat myself as ive already highlighted his issues. this kid is a long way away.

im feeling rather down about him today. the problems i see are more related to his actual skills and hockey sense- its been poor at best. and that to me is a concern

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:51 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Is the trend now that whenever ODC says something you don't agree with, we have to make fun of his love for Lisin/russians?

McIlrath played a bad game and all his observations were spot on. Nothing biased about it what so ever....

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

You can complain all you want about consistency on the players part, but truth be told the consistency on this board is ****ed. The players allow a goal during a 3 on 3 and everyone is rushing to claim they were the first to dislike a particular player. McIlrath was nothing but poised and calm for the first 2 games, that goes double on the powerplay.

Seriously. It's like nothing but foxhound in here.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 08:58 PM
alkurtz

Isn't it amazing that they finally got around to interviewing Sather today, and where was he when he was interviewed? On the golf course!

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:04 PM
NYRangers16

One thing that stood out to me on that play about Thomas was the absolute lack of speed he showed...the Carolina player caught up to him in like 2 strides...I won't bash him for the turnover because he'll learn what he can get away with and what he can't with his skill - but the lack of speed is concerning. If he doesn't have size or speed, how is he going to beat anyone? I mean his shot is great but that's not everything...thoughts? Am I wrong about his skating? Is it not a big deal? Keep in mind this is the first I've seen him play.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:10 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
You are gonna rag on him through his 15 year Rangers career..
We all know you wanted a Russian..Deal with it.
Hey, you know what? I hated the pick too. I wanted...

...a superstar scoring winger who was a consensus top 5 pick in that draft - and is now listed as a top 10 prospect in all of hockey.

I could give two ***** where he comes from.

But as much as you rag on ODC for wanting a Russian, YOU clearly want someone whose last name is NOT Russian and who can, more than anything else (more than an ability to play hockey) beat people down.

You got him. And to date, he hasn't played even CLOSE to the level of Tarasenko, Fowler or Gormley (or Kuznetsov or...)

He's played okay this tournament - some really good moments, some pretty bad ones. He was particularly bad today. I'm hoping he plays his best tomorrow. But, either way, he's clearly got a looooooong way to go before he plays in the NHL. I hope he gets there - and that he becomes the player that the Rangers envisioned when they drafted him.

But at this point, all of us who wanted any of the consensus players on the board ahead of him are - unfortunately - looking like we were right. Here's hoping we're eventually proven wrong.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:14 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

What time is our game tomorrow? the championship, right?

Just throw Erixon out there for 60, he'll be fine.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:38 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Did we ever get final word on whether Yogan was injured?

Clearly missed him out there today...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:41 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

Everything in bold has been said by you and more importantly nearly everyone in hockey or on these boards 1000 times even most of the people who really like McI acknowledge and realize this stuff. I also like you spending half this post repeating yourself only to say... well lol anyway you fluff yourself up way too much dude. Where you say tentative and unsure this is definitely something I saw and was marginally surprised about. Thought he was more about running around like a chicken without a head but it's more he's just a nervous unsure 19 year old kid. He literally plays his age is all. He has an average development curve for a guy of his size and experience. But he makes above average plays more often than many others in his situation (not many). In 2 years we'll see but the fact is everybody knows he did not improve much defensively this past year and yet everybody seems to be so shocked that as Gordie said he was very average.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Muh
Beadle

Just started the game now on my DVR, hope for another solid effort.

Muh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Machinehead
Hanta Yo

vCash: 50
Just watched it. It doesn't bother me that we lost, it bothers me that we lost to a guy named Shugg

Last edited by Machinehead: 09-13-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Just watched it. It doesn't bother me that we lost, it bothers me that we lose to a guy named Shugg
watch him never make the NHL

same team as Taylor Hall in 09-10 season but only 30 pts behind him in 2ed place but only 5'9 175.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=106861

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:12 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
One thing that stood out to me on that play about Thomas was the absolute lack of speed he showed...the Carolina player caught up to him in like 2 strides...I won't bash him for the turnover because he'll learn what he can get away with and what he can't with his skill - but the lack of speed is concerning. If he doesn't have size or speed, how is he going to beat anyone? I mean his shot is great but that's not everything...thoughts? Am I wrong about his skating? Is it not a big deal? Keep in mind this is the first I've seen him play.

You're going to use one play as a question to his speed? He's played 3 games in 4 nights after a long summer, playing a ton of minutes, and an extra 10 of overtime. He was tired.

EDIT: I skimmed over the last part. Thomas is very fast.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0flames View Post
You can complain all you want about consistency on the players part, but truth be told the consistency on this board is ****ed. The players allow a goal during a 3 on 3 and everyone is rushing to claim they were the first to dislike a particular player. McIlrath was nothing but poised and calm for the first 2 games, that goes double on the powerplay.

Seriously. It's like nothing but foxhound in here.
actually the goal he allowed at the end didnt bother me near as much as him abandoning the front of the net to go rough some guy up behind the play. im all for defending your team, but not when the opposition is surging, and you abandon the low slot. that's just awful hockey timing. his gap control has been poor the entire tournament as well, giving the opposing players far too much time and space as they come into his zone.

i also disagree that Erixon has been the best ranger all tournament. He's been superb, but I still think Parlett has been better in the 2 games he's played.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:15 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Can't get on Thomas too much for that play.

We know he's a liability defensively, isn't a heady player, and can be prone to turnovers...

However, it's good for him to learn from that mistake now, at age 19.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2108
I'm guessing our game is the one at 7:00 tomorrow?