HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do you feel about us having the second best paid goalie tandem in the league?

Old
09-13-2011, 04:07 PM
flountown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
So, were you celebrating New Year a little early last year and was completely out of your senses when you told Lavy to go with Leighton against LA?

flountown: Heyooooo!!!
Lavy: *holds phone away from ear*
flountown: Wha-what's up Petey-boy!?
Lavy: Please, don't call me that.
flountown: Yeah, whatever.... lischen.... lischen.... *zzzz*
Lavy: Hey, wake up! I need to know who I'll go with.
flountown: Huh? Oh, yeah, lischen to this, thish is brilliant! Today we're gonna fool them. It's April Foolsh day afterall.
Lavy: No, it's December 30.
flountown: Really? Oh, well, what the hell. We'll do something crazy in April as well then. Anyhooooo!!! Put ****face in net. That will throw them completely off their game. - Hey! I've got some eggnog left. Mmm... eggnogg...
Lavy: Leighton? Don't you remember what happened last time we tried that? Pronger will go ape-****, and poor Jeff still wakes up screaming Richie says.
flountown: Do as i say goddamnitsomuch! Remember that I've got pictures.
Lavy: Yes, Sir.
Haha, not one of my finer moments...

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 04:45 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

you have to consider the change in defense in front of bryz. he was lookin at 29,30 shots a night in phoenix. you figure if we stay consistent he's lookin at 24,25 sog a night. unless its a wash because of the loss of richards and the upgrade in talent goalie wise. He's phenomenal. It's so funny because i still dont think theres as many people as there should be who really understand how good he is. There's people i know who i thought were reall hockey people, real fans, mis pronouncing bryzgalov. 1st game, next wednesday. cant wait for that ****.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 05:07 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
55-25 split would be lovely.

45 wins shared between them
Is Leighton playing the other 2?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Flyerfan808

As long as Bryz plays to his ability. We should be fine.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Haute Couturier

To answer the original question, I think it makes the organization look like a bunch of fools that they went from one extreme of not allocating money to the position to overreacting and spending far more than necessary.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:20 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
To answer the original question, I think it makes the organization look like a bunch of fools that they went from one extreme of not allocating money to the position to overreacting and spending far more than necessary.
what are you lookin at? this one year's salary comin up, because that cap hit is pretty average, even if things move in the opposite direction and they cheapin up conracts after next year. i guess it comes down to whether you think he's a great goalie or not. i do. He's too intelligent and skilled to start suckin. He's only gonna get better. BETTER than he is now. which is pretty damn good. its more embarrassing to never react. or to continue to react wrong, (Leighton). It aint my money but i wish it was.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I personally don't think it does, though your claim on overreacting and spending more than necessary does at least warrant consideration. But I think we aren't overpaying them by a great margin, if at all, I just hope they produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
I'm good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I feel good about it.
Don't get me wrong, so do I, but prior to a couple of days ago, I haven't given much thought to how much money we have invested in them. And I did think more teams had us beat in that department. That's all I'm saying, I wasn't trying to imply anything with my original question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
He is tied for the overall highest paid player this season, if you want to look at it that way.

This will only stir up more arguments about Holmgren/Snider's decision making, and jumping on Bryz immediately vs. waiting and taking a chance on Vokoun being cheaper.

Personally, I think we have an elite goaltender now, one who pretty much carried his average team to two consecutive playoff births in a hellacious Western Conference. In terms of tandems, they're right up there with NYR, LAK, NSH, and VAN. But I sleep easier at night knowing the organization finally addressed a need that has strained them since the day I was born.
Yeah, exactly, and in terms of goaltending I fully expect them to actually be up there (if not above) with all of those teams on the ice, not just on paper, as well. I think in general Bryzgalov is paid fairly, whereas Bob is overpaid (maybe not by much, but still, I'd expect an entry-level goalie to be paid less). But that's OK, they're not steals by any means, and I feel it's best NOT to look for those, anyway. If this gives us long-term stability in the net, I'm all for giving players fair salaries without trying to save every penny you can. But, as I said, this warrants high expectations, since you wouldn't expect, say, Ovechkin to be anything less than the leader of the Caps, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
So, because Bobrovsky's bonuses will count against the cap no matter what this season, you're expecting more from Bryzgalov? Sounds reasonable.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I expect more from both of them, knowing their total cap hit. I expect the whole goaltending department not to function great, but to function superbly, so that people are going to be cursing our goalies the way they do Thomas or Lundquist when they steal games.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I love Bob, but let's face it, he shouldn't have played that many games last season. Ideally, he should have played about 25. The same goes for this season
Agreed - he should have played about 20-25 but who the hell was going to play the other 60? Anderson would have been nice... I think this season will be very different. Bryzgalov will take the bulk of the starts and when Bob gets his chance I think he will be extremely good. He should receive some very good mentoring from Bryzgalov. Then - when he's got a ton of value in the off-season he can be traded for a nice pick or prospect. And in 12-13 this monster of a goalie Hovinen can come over and back up for a few years and be the next in a long line of great Flyers goalies!

I'm feeling optomistic today.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:01 PM
FlyerX

With Richards, Leino and Carter gone, they lost a lot up front defensively. Those three backchecked.

Management really likes Schenn.

That's all for now.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:16 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
With Richards, Leino and Carter gone, they lost a lot up front defensively. Those three backchecked.

Management really likes Schenn.

That's all for now.
News to me. Not that he was a sieve defensively, but I don't think he should be mentioned in the same sentence as Richards and Carter when it comes to backchecking.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote