HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Kharitonov

Old
09-11-2011, 09:50 AM
m9
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostone737 View Post
big foot looked really sloppy, cormier and Barnett looked good though

barnett will take cormier

again, another great strikeforce event. How is it they consistently put on great cards while the UFC keeps putting putting up poop events?
What are you talking about? The UFC has had multiple awesome cards this year.. especially lately.

Very good night of fights though. Cormier's another example that you don't have to be 265 to be a top-tier HW.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:13 AM
bostone737

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
What are you talking about? The UFC has had multiple awesome cards this year.. especially lately.

Very good night of fights though. Cormier's another example that you don't have to be 265 to be a top-tier HW.
if I remember correctly the last UFC was good, but there was like a stretch of at least 6 or 7 cards in a row there that really came up short.... the last bad strikeforce card I remember was the Melendez/Aoki card

bostone737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:52 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
if I remember correctly the last UFC was good, but there was like a stretch of at least 6 or 7 cards in a row there that really came up short.... the last bad strikeforce card I remember was the Melendez/Aoki card
Agreed. UFC 130, 131, and 132 disappointed this summer.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:53 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by nophun View Post

Oh hi there.
Cormier didn't even use his wrestling so your prediction was off anyway. His striking looked great last night, no one seen that coming.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:02 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post

Big win for Cormier. All Silva has is size but everyone still counted Cormier out. I'm glad he won.

Overall I thought it was a pretty good card.
Yup, I looked pretty stupid there.

Cormier was Very impressive.

Had to work yesterday so I didnt get to see it live.

Just watched it this morning.

Hopefully we get to see him in the UFC soon.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
Agreed. UFC 130, 131, and 132 disappointed this summer.
How was 132 disappointing? Perhaps the main event, but not really considering who was fighting. But Ortiz upsetting Bader, Condit with a flying knee KO over Stun Gun. Leben's quick KO of Wanderlei. That was a solid card.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Pretty good card overall and nice performances by Cormier and Barnett , especially Cormier. Also congrats to Rockhold for beating Jacare and winning the title.

I thought Barnett would win it all once Reem withdrew from the Grand Prix but now i'm not so sure. Cormier is improving every fight and is technically a bad matchup for him on paper. If he can avoid the takedown (which he has very good chances to thanks to his wrestling) i could see him outstrike Barnett on the feet. Barnett is no slouch but his stand up defense , while OK , is not elite and Cormier fast hands could cause him trouble.

I still think Barnett is the favorite but wouldn't be surprised if Cormier beats him and win it all.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:52 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
How was 132 disappointing?
Those fights flew right over my head

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:04 PM
m9
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
You remember wrong, very wrong. At the very least UFC 129 and UFC 132 were great. 134 of course, too.

The last bad Strikeforce one was probably the last one, as Werdum/Overeem was not one of their better efforts.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:31 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Cormier didn't even use his wrestling so your prediction was off anyway. His striking looked great last night, no one seen that coming.
To the first sentence ...

I am just having some fun.
Latter ITT I said I would not be shocked if Cormier used his stand- up game, but you're right I was not expecting the finish we got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Hopefully we get to see him in the UFC soon.
Hopefully we get to see Cormier vs. Barnett to actually finish the GP.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

vCash: 112
That move happens in all martial arts. It's a sweep, not a defined wrestling move

Evil Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 05:58 AM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Speaker View Post
That move happens in all martial arts. It's a sweep, not a defined wrestling move
You're saying a single leg to a sweep is not something Cormier learnt and used as a wrestler ? How is it not wrestling?
Catching the kick kind of makes it more BJJ or something but it is still just a single with a sweep.

Last edited by Spawn: 09-13-2011 at 09:30 AM.
FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 06:23 AM
BGDDYKWL

I'm gonna have to rewatch the Jacare fight because I remember when it went to the judges I was thinking to myself that it had to be 48-47 across the board, and could even see it being a split decision. Don't know how a judge scored it 50-45.

Barnett's control on the ground is amazing. Looked in the beginning like if that fight stayed on the feet a whole lot longer Barnett was gonna be in some serious trouble, and I think he sensed that as well and fortunately for him managed to get the takedown. The fight with Cormier is gonna be real interesting.

From recent interviews and what not I was beginning to get the feeling that Bigfoot thought a little more highly of himself than perhaps he should. I would've thought Kyle dropping him would've been the reality check, but maybe this will be it. That being said I was with the majority in thinking Bigfoot would take this fight, so seeing Cormier win it in convincing fashion was very impressive.

While this card was entertaining, I'd still far prefer if they just sped up the inevitable and completely merged Strikeforce with the UFC.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Captain_Cunney

I'm not sure why anyone is all that surprised by the improvement in Cormiers' stand-up. If you watched his last 3-4 fights it improved each and every time he fought, you could tell they(AKA) were taking the exact same striking approach that they used to take Cain to the next level (in and out, quick movement, press,press,press).

Even though he looked fantastic, I'd much rather see him shed some of that chub and move to 205.

The final of the GP is going to be interesting, I don't think Barnett is going to be able to take Cormier down like his first 2 fights and I'm not sure who has the edge in the stand-up dept. Cormier could very well go from fill in to champion.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

vCash: 112
What I said is that it's not specific to wrestling. You see that happen more in muay thai fighting, because there are kicks involved that allow you to catch the leg (like what happend in the fight, remember?). as far as I know you're not allowed to kick in wrestling class.

Evil Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Still wonder what Cormier would look like at 205. When I see Moobs on a guy at 240, I think he can get down to 205. I wonder if a cut would be too drastic for him. Have to feel for those guys stuck between 220-240.... really nowhere for them to fight comfortably.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:05 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Still wonder what Cormier would look like at 205. When I see Moobs on a guy at 240, I think he can get down to 205. I wonder if a cut would be too drastic for him. Have to feel for those guys stuck between 220-240.... really nowhere for them to fight comfortably.
He cannot make 205. Last time he tried to, his kidneys shut down. He is physically unable to compete at 205.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 02:23 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He cannot make 205. Last time he tried to, his kidneys shut down. He is physically unable to compete at 205.
I had no idea about that. I just looked it up and found a recent, post Silva, article where he was quoted as saying if the UFC absorbed Strikeforce he'd rather go to 205 than Heavy. Not sure if that was wishful thinking or what.

http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/2011/0911/544210/

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
I wonder what the entire story behind this was, it seems a little off. Did he try and cut too fast? Cutting weight isn't life threatening if he does it the right way and tries to shed some pounds gradually before cutting. If he is walking around at 230/40ish and hasn't cut before it would cause problems but if he goes on a diet, gets down to 225 it wouldn't be an issue, imo. I have no knowledge on the subject however.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Despite two intriguing world-grand-prix semifinal fights and a middleweight championship bout, this past weekend's "Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Kharitonov" event averaged just 274,000 Showtime viewers.

Of the 18 Strikeforce "Arena Series" events that have aired on Showtime, "Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Kharitonov" ranks 17th in ratings history.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/25217/stri...00-viewers.mma

They also had less than 2000 fans in attendance.

UFC is taking their best fighters and now they have terrible ratings. No way Showtime extends the contract. RIP Strikeforce.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:10 PM
DeathFromAbove

That's terrible. Bellator pulls better numbers than that spending a fraction of the cost on fighter salaries

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:02 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
I think with a lifestyle change he could certainly fight at 205, with very little negative impact on his strength. But a pure dehydration weight cut? Hell no.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote