HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Trent Hunter invited to training camp

Old
09-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Shellz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
Parse bashers, you are amusing.
It doesn't make any sense. I guess they ran out of players to pick on.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
Parse bashers, you are amusing.
I actually like Parse quite a bit. But him being slotted into the first line last year was a joke. Just like the other two guys in their spots were a joke. The Kings had three forwards that would be top 6 players on a contending team to start last year and were talking about taking the next step, that was ridiculous. This season we have 6 guys who belong in top 6 roles.

I think Parse should be battling with Richardson for the 3rd line RW spot. The people that say he can't play in that role are out to lunch because thats not going to be a defensive unit with Clifford and Stoll who will never be mistaken for Jere Lehtinen and Guy Carboneau. The Kings aint sending Stoll out there against Thornton and Getzlaf. This will be an energy line and Parse should fit in very well there, and he has had chemistry with Stoll before. Both will be capable of scoring but not expected and counted on to score like they were last season.

Penner - Kopitar - Williams
Gagne - Richards - Brown
Clifford - Stoll - Parse/Richy
Parse/Richy - Lewis - Westgarth

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:59 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Isn't it awesome when we sign/invite players like Hunter and Moreau now for the 4th line/healthy scratch? Four years ago, they would have been on our 1st/2nd line a la Brian Willsie.

Last edited by JBernierFan: 09-14-2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: re-wording
JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
It is an excellent invitation and Hunter would absolutely be welcome on our third line. Although, I kind of agree that this is also a slap in the face of any prospect trying to make the team this season. With solid, proven, and senior bottom 6'ers like Clifford, Stoll, Richardson, Moreau, Lewis, Westgarth, Parse, and Fraser all ahead of them, and then to throw Hunter in that mix.... I don't care who you are, you have no chance in hell at making this team. That's 8-9 solid, established, immovable "veterans" (loosely used with guys like Clifford and Lewis, but certainly proven their merit) for only 6 available spots ahead of the youngsters. You can't entirely blame guys like Holloway or Moller, even though Moller would have been first call-up for the top 6 in case of injury...

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:07 AM
funky

like it, if healthy he hits and plays a two way game. Experience and leadership. If not it costs us nothing

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Isn't it awesome when we trade/invite players like Hunter and Moreau now for the 4th line/healthy scratch? Four years ago, they would have been on our 1st/2nd line a la Brian Willsie.
Or when the Kings had the likes of Kyle Calder, Scott Thornton and even Raitis Ivanans all audition at LW on Kopitar's line.

LA's full lineup from four seasons ago looked like this:

O'Sullivan-Kopitar-Brown
Frolov-Armstrong-Cammalleri
Nagy-Handzus-Calder
Ivanans-Willsie-Thornton

Johnson-Blake
Visnovsky-Preissing
Dallman-Harrold

LaBarbera-Ersberg

Scratches: Giuliano, Zeiler, Klemm, Ellis

That atrocious season resulted in a draft that landed Drew Doughty, Viatcheslav Voynov and Andrei Loktionov.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:34 AM
NastiMarvasti

Don't forget Marc Crawford doing all of his screaming in the locker room.

NastiMarvasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:38 AM
johnjm22

When healthy, Trent can play a two way game with some physicality and score at a 40 point pace.

If he pans out, he's easily an improvement over Moreau/Fraser.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:39 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

How could we forget?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:40 AM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Parse/Richardson
Parse/Richardson-Lewis-Westgarth/ex.Moreau/ex.Hunter

Fraser does a conditioning stint in Manchester to start the season?

Then when he comes back IDK. This is all if Hunter does sign with us, which isn't a for sure thing.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 05:34 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

If the prospects cant beat out Moreau or Hunter for a spot I'm not gonna feel sorry for them, it just means they aren't ready.

BigBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
What forwards legitimately had a chance this year? Loktionov is the only one I can think of. Holloway shot himself in the foot. Moller is in Sweden. Clune? Vey, Toffoli, and Kozun are not ready.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:11 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
The Kings had three forwards that would be top 6 players on a contending team to start last year and were talking about taking the next step, that was ridiculous.
I differ from your opinion. If Kopitar hadn't been injured last year, there's a real good chance that first round series against SJ turns out different. Not to mention I think management can't be faulted for assuming the team won't blow a 4-0 lead in a playoff game. We have Kopitar and don't blow that game, we are likely off to at least the second round. To me that would have been the next step, and that was a very realistic goal.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:15 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Or when the Kings had the likes of Kyle Calder, Scott Thornton and even Raitis Ivanans all audition at LW on Kopitar's line.

LA's full lineup from four seasons ago looked like this:

O'Sullivan-Kopitar-Brown
Frolov-Armstrong-Cammalleri
Nagy-Handzus-Calder
Ivanans-Willsie-Thornton

Johnson-Blake
Visnovsky-Preissing
Dallman-Harrold

LaBarbera-Ersberg

Scratches: Giuliano, Zeiler, Klemm, Ellis

That atrocious season resulted in a draft that landed Drew Doughty, Viatcheslav Voynov and Andrei Loktionov.
The weird thing is for the top 3 lines, we were arguably better on the wings then than we are now, when healthy.

Those bottom three defensemen are atrocious though, and Johnson was fresh faced, while Blake was milking it for a pay cheque. It's a wonder we didn't give up 5 goals a game.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:23 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
What forwards legitimately had a chance this year? Loktionov is the only one I can think of. Holloway shot himself in the foot. Moller is in Sweden. Clune? Vey, Toffoli, and Kozun are not ready.
This. Loki was the only one left who had a shot at making a big impact on the team, and he won't play 4th line, so all these depth additions don't affect him.

I applaud the invite to Hunter, I wanted to see that from the moment he was bought out. He's not going to be a 25 goal guy anymore, but if he can stay healthy, he could work his way up to the 3rd line, score 10-15 goals a season and bring a physical style to the Kings lower lines. Not to mention a lot of experience and leadership. I'm pretty sure he wore a letter with NYI.

The only issue I've had all season is the signing of Moreau. I like Moreau, I just think he should have been an invite as well, not handed a guaranteed contract. I fail to see what's so different about him than Hunter.

Anyways, back to the point, the only guys I can think of who might be battling to out do Moreau/Hunter from Manchester is Cliche and Clune, so it will be interesting to watch this battle. In a year when we are playing for a long playoff run, I assume veteran presence will win out on what is still overall a young team.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Competion is good, but I feel sorry with for our prospects.
were you on crack or chicken wings when you posted this?

Fact is...He's coming off an ACL tear. Remember how good (read: slow and horrible) Handzus was in the first year of his big money deal and coming off ACL surgery? If he shows the heart he always has shown, I sign him to a 2 year deal the first year being a 2-way deal, the second being an NHL only deal...then I think you have something with this guy because he's got great size, plays the right side, can skate and is a 40pt guy on a 3rd line. Just probably not this season.

Also, Kings are clearly in win now mode and the spot on the roster Hunter would take (and I don't think he's going to take anyone's spot unless he has a miracle knee) that a prospect could take is Cliche's or Clune and neither has shown much to this point. Most of the Kings prospects don't project out on the 3rd line. I realize they have to start somewhere, but Loktionov is NOT a RW or a 3rd liner anyway...Toffoli, Kozun, Vey & Kitsyn, probably not ready yet but if they prove they are, I'm sure they'd get the job over Hunter (Kings have proven a clear openness to playing their kids under DL)... No issues really on this from a prospect front for me and I'm one who likes to see our kids get a shot.

Last edited by Face Wash: 09-14-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:24 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I differ from your opinion. If Kopitar hadn't been injured last year, there's a real good chance that first round series against SJ turns out different. Not to mention I think management can't be faulted for assuming the team won't blow a 4-0 lead in a playoff game. We have Kopitar and don't blow that game, we are likely off to at least the second round. To me that would have been the next step, and that was a very realistic goal.
I agree with you. But hey, at least we know that management is FINALLY committed to putting a winner on the ice, right? I mean what took them so long? All of the pieces we have today were readily available at the beginning of all this were they not?

It gets beyond ridiculous sometimes.

The Kings are a team that now have the pieces they need to get deep into the playoffs if the players and coach execute.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:43 AM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Expect I think and I know it doesn't really matter we would of ended up playing the Ducks or the predators. But yeah we would of been in the 2nd round either way.

All this invite does is help us either by him making the team or our prospect trying that much harder. No one should come into camp anymore and think they are going to make the team not when we are now a contending team. If we lose one of our prospects to another league but win the cup who cares.

son of earl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:21 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by son of earl View Post
Expect I think and I know it doesn't really matter we would of ended up playing the Ducks or the predators. But yeah we would of been in the 2nd round either way.
Off topic, but the Kings would have played Vancouver. It would have been the #1 seed vs. the #7 seed. Detroit then would have played Nashville.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Off topic, but the Kings would have played Vancouver. It would have been the #1 seed vs. the #7 seed. Detroit then would have played Nashville.
Playing Vancouver would've been like that scene in Red Dawn, "avenge me! Aveeeeenge me!!!!"

Last edited by Reaper45: 09-14-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Mxpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
When healthy, Trent can play a two way game with some physicality and score at a 40 point pace.

If he pans out, he's easily an improvement over Moreau/Fraser.
Or we can slap a #8 on his back and throw him next to Mitchell an hope no one notices. Drew and Hunter both have sinister goatees.

Mxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Mxpunk

I was hoping we'd invite Steve Bernier but he's trying out with NJ.

Mxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
No way Hunter is on the 3rd line. He's not versatile enough. To me, he's a 4th line RW/healthy scratch. If the Kings really wanted him to be the 3rd line RW, I'm pretty sure they would've signed him before (or instead) of Moreau.
Holy way to undervalue, Batman. Also logic does not dictate your conclusion.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:56 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
I believe he meant who LA would have played in the first round had Kopitar not been hurt.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:58 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk View Post
I was hoping we'd invite Steve Bernier but he's trying out with NJ.
I'm kind of glad we didn't, but I can see some value to him as well. That said, I'd actually rather have Moreau and/or Hunter than Bernier.