HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal.

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Karlstrobe
Lazer Lazar

vCash: 500
Forsberg-lite. Zibbys big, fast, handles the puck well, good on faceoffs, has a very shot, works hard, hits. He does everything you want him to do and hes only 18 with a lot of room to grow. He's easily becoming my favorite prospect.

Old
09-13-2011, 09:53 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
I'm still trying to find a player that reminds of of Zibanejad, but I love the way he plays the game.

His two way game is pro caliber as he backchecks pretty hard. Very good on faceoffs, excellent skater and love his creativity. The guy has great playmaking ability. Excellent shot too.

Maybe Fisher but with an actual brain to play hockey. Peter Forsberg is a pretty good comparison too.
He actually reminds me of a Centre version of Hossa. He's big, fast, strong on his skates, is strong at cycling and has strong defensive senses.

Old
09-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Afro Thunder*

Ryan Kesler, Both have a crazy motor, big, physical, speedy and have great hands.

He will fix our #2 center problem.

Old
09-13-2011, 09:56 PM
sens2k9

somebody photoshop this please

Old
09-13-2011, 09:59 PM
4thliner*

BATMAN the Son of SUPERMAN!?

Old
09-13-2011, 10:04 PM
ben3001

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
That should be a give...well at least anyway.

But was Kesler as impressive package at 18? Even as hyped or as high a pick?

Not close.
The basis of your argument being talent levels at 18 is so incredibly flawed it hurts. There is a reason why we use the cognate "development curve" to talk about young players and their potential. Not all prospects follow linear and comparable paths to their development. The argument that Player X at 18 is better then Player Y at 18 does in no way equate to Player X being better then Player Y in their respective prime.

From the brief exposure we have seen from him, we would be incredibly lucky if ever Mika Zibanejad developed into a Ryan Callahan type player. Talks of him turning into a better Kessler or Hossa at this point are completely ridiculous. There is no problem in being optimistic and super happy about what we saw at rookie tournament, but lets not turn into Oiler or Leaf fans over-hyping all our prospects into next surefire superstars.

Old
09-13-2011, 10:16 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
I don't think he'll produce as much as Forsberg.

What about Ryan Kesler?
Obviously I ond't think that Zibby has Forsberg offensive potential, and I will say that Zibby doesn't have the puck protection ability that Forsberg had but they do play similar.

Zibby has better playmaking skills then Kesler, and Kesler has better shooting skills...

Old
09-13-2011, 10:19 PM
ShotDownCrosby

I have definitely been impressed with him so far. I am excited to see what he does in the pre-season (can I assume he'd play?).

Not sure if he goes back to sweden or not, but for an 18 year old, wow. I completely forgot he was actually that young.

I definitely see him as an Alfie 2.0 type. Someone who can score, hit, be a definite leader on the ice and is defensive as well.

Old
09-13-2011, 10:23 PM
SensPromo
AKA "Inf4mous0ne"

vCash: 50
Besides his style of play, I just like how excited he is when the team wins/he scores. Love it when players are enthusiastic Also Petersson looks awesome. DaCosta sucks. Trade Spezza.

Old
09-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:
Heck Hossa was not this impressive until having a year in Portland after the draft.
You don't remember the training camp of 1997 very well then. Hossa had an outstanding training camp and he exceeded all expectations. He forced the Sens to keep him on the opening night roster with his play.

Also keep in mind that Hossa did that in NHL exhibition games, not rookie tournament games.

Old
09-13-2011, 10:32 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Another Hossa at least with more abrasiveness and gumption and motor to his game.
Hossa's motor is through the roof. He's one of the best backcheckers I've ever seen, and he's always moving his legs. I would say very few players have the motor that Hossa does.

I'd like to see how the guy does against NHL level competition before I start referring to him as mini-Forsberg.

Old
09-13-2011, 10:36 PM
SENSational Sens Fan

Zibby is gonna be our forward version of Karlsson, in the sense that he's gonna be one of the faces of the franchise going into the future.

Old
09-13-2011, 10:50 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

Zibby reminds me of Peter Stastny.

Old
09-13-2011, 10:58 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Dare I ask... is he a hockey player?

Old
09-13-2011, 11:19 PM
topshelf15

When ZBad takes a wiz he clogs the tolietHe looks like a kesler lite without the whining

Old
09-13-2011, 11:37 PM
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg

vCash: 177
Stamina

Old
09-13-2011, 11:48 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
He's impressed me a lot. Looks like we're going to have great depth down the middle going into the future, and great depth on D. The makings of a great team.

09-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

He's like a young Anze Kopitar but better since he's got Persian Tiger Blood!

Old
09-14-2011, 12:40 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sens2k9 View Post
So, Alfie-lite?
Well played, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patizzie View Post
Stamina
LOL, I was looking over this thread waiting for your post hahaha.

I think Batman comparison is the best one.

Old
09-14-2011, 12:45 AM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Wayne Gretzky
He's bigger then Gretzky so that means he'll be better. Plus he's Persian so his golden age will last 50% longer and provide him with +10% combat strength and +1 movement.

The great one has nothing on that!

Old
09-14-2011, 12:57 AM
albator71

Props to the Sens scouting staff they knew exactly what they were getting when they drafted Zibby a complete hockey player who will play in any situation, I see a lot of Rod Brind'Amour in him.

Old
09-14-2011, 01:10 AM
SENSfreak_03

it's encouraging, but like any rookie tourney performance, take it with a grain of salt. they've all proven they can perform against players their age.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:31 AM
Bilbo Baggins

Interesting. If my poor memory is correct, just before draft day, Sens management were saying that they ran through all the likely draft scenarios, and there was only one that they didn't like. I figure this must have been their worst case scenario, with RHN, Larsson, Huberdeau, Landeskog and Strome all taken, they weren't thrilled with having to pick either Couturier or Zibanejad. Does anyone else remember it this way, or am I delusional?

I expect that the Senators management must be a lot happier now. Time will tell, of course, but this guy does seem to be a top flight prospect. He seems to be solid in most aspects of the game, and has his head screwed on right as well.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:51 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
Interesting. If my poor memory is correct, just before draft day, Sens management were saying that they ran through all the likely draft scenarios, and there was only one that they didn't like. I figure this must have been their worst case scenario, with RHN, Larsson, Huberdeau, Landeskog and Strome all taken, they weren't thrilled with having to pick either Couturier or Zibanejad. Does anyone else remember it this way, or am I delusional?

I expect that the Senators management must be a lot happier now. Time will tell, of course, but this guy does seem to be a top flight prospect. He seems to be solid in most aspects of the game, and has his head screwed on right as well.
Maybe they were ecstatic about that choice between zibby and Couturier. Maybe Strome and Landeskog were the guys that they had rated lower. You can figure that Lando has no talent and that Strome isn't a character guy or very big.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:17 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Quote:
Another Hossa at least with more abrasiveness and gumption and motor to his game.

Heck Hossa was not this impressive until having a year in Portland after the draft.

I am afraid Mika will force his way to the team even though I think going back to the SEL would mean he would come to NA next year as a dominant young player and ROY favorite IMO.

He would go beasting in the WJC also.
Hossa was easily good enough to make the team in his first camp. He was far better than the majority of the roster already.

He didn't need to go to Portland, the team was just gunshy after ruining Daigle.

Closed Thread