HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roberto Luongo back to take care of ‘unfinished business’

Old
09-14-2011, 12:59 AM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Roberto Luongo back to take care of ‘unfinished business’

Roberto Luongo was back in Vancouver and on the ice for an informal skate Tuesday.

With the short off-season he had to change his normal prep regime but he says he is ready to go and has put the disappointment of loosing the Stanley Cup Final behind him as he sets his sights on another strong season and play-off run.

He is to be inducted in the BC Sports Hall of fame Tuesday and had these thoughts after said after attending a luncheon honouring the Hall of Fame inductees:
"All I can say is now when I think about last year I don't think about disappointment, I don't think about negative things," Luongo said...

"I think about the season we had as a group. We did some phenomenal things, not only in the regular season. We were one game away from winning the Cup. That's a good year for us and now we just want to take the little step that's left. We came close and know we can do it again.

It's just a matter of going out there and playing."
"It's hockey, you know what I mean," he said of the Canucks coughing up a 2-0 series lead to the Bruins. "That's all I can say. Things happen. You want to keep things under your control as much as you can, but sometimes things happen.

"Unfortunately, we let it slip away, especially in the Boston games, and we never really recovered from that. At the end of the day I think we can all be proud of what we did last year from the beginning of the season all the way to the final. We did a lot as individuals and as a team and that is why we are so happy to be back and give it another try."

"It feels a bit surreal that we are back for another year already," he said. "But at the same time we are excited. We have a little bit of unfinished business to settle and I think as a group we are really excited to get it going again."

"It's been a bit different preparation-wise," he said. "You pretty much shave a month off your training. Physically and mentally I feel like I am ready to go at the same pace I was last year at training camp.

"I have been skating for about four weeks now. I think after a season like last year the most important thing is to make sure you are well rested mentally and focused and ready to go. The physical part will take care of itself if you are doing the right things off the ice and making sure you are in shape. Like I said, I took care of what I had to this summer and I am looking forward to next year."
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...#ixzz1Xu5eE6xZ

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:56 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Nowhere did he hold himself accountable.

Not surprised.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:14 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

Not surprised.
Whenever he talked about the team he said "we"... as it should be.

Its not like he doesn't know he blew the games. jeeez.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:20 AM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

Not surprised.
Reading is pretty hard

God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:27 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSoul View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Reading is pretty hard
that comes down to perspective

It Luongo a rank and file guy or is he supposed to be the go to guy

while there is no I in team--it is the I guys who are the go to guys and are the ones that need to step up and say "I let people down"

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 05:25 AM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSoul View Post

I think that was a mildly sarcastic joke anyways.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:09 AM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Ill put my cards on the table with regards to Lou.

ON ICE:

I think he is a fantastic goalie. Much better than what he gets credited. But he seems to be an emotionally fragile goalie. If he gets beaten 5 hole early, he goes down much earlier on shots and tends to play deeper in the net. If he gets beaten high early, or at an important time in the game, he plays further out and doesn't butterfly as quickly as he usually does.

This is indicative of a goalie who doesn't have confidence in his game. It's understandable as he is adopting a new system. Im not going to argue my point, but it should seem evident to all that Lou has some confidence issues.

OFF ICE:

He's a princess and I don't much like him.

Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:52 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

^ bingo. I really think Schneider has a better mental game than Luo. Notsaying I want to replace Luo or anything, but schneids is the mentally stronger goalie. Mgmt has painted themselves in a corner with his 12 year contract.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
^ bingo. I really think Schneider has a better mental game than Luo. Notsaying I want to replace Luo or anything, but schneids is the mentally stronger goalie. Mgmt has painted themselves in a corner with his 12 year contract.
Based on what? Blowing up in Game 6 against Chicago? Or his poor record against the Top 10 offensive team in the league during the regular season? Or based on the fact that he felt the need to defend Luongo to the media instead of worrying about his own job?

Yes, the goalie that hasn't even had to be a starter yet is clearly the one stronger mentally.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:

Sorry bro, I'm gonna have to agree with the poster above me. While I said Luongo is mentally weak lately and having confidence issues, that does not mean that the opposite inherently applies to Schneider.

Schneider has proven nothing in the playoffs. He played extremely well during the regular season, and I'm a big fan of his technique. But there is really no basis for the claim that he would be mentally stronger than Luongo.

Keep in mind Playoff hockey isn't something he has had experience with before Vancouver. While I'm not a fan of some of his attributes, I think going with an unknown over a known (regardless of faults) is at this point not justified.

We know what we are getting with Lou. He is a great goaltender. All he needs is some more confidence to keep his game the way it is and not try to alter it on the fly when he lets in a bad goal.

Scheider is a question mark. I agree that he is going to be a fantastic starting goalie someday, but you don't bench a multiple time Vezina nominee for a guy that has played 35 games in the NHL.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Proto

I love that people accuse Luongo of being mentally weak and then turnaround and complain every time he doesn't genuflect for the media and cry and tell them what a loser he is and how he let down all the annoying Canucks fans.

My only solace in the Canucks losing the cup last year is how many Canucks fans I can't stand and how little they deserve to back a winner.

Nice to see Lu ready to get going again. Hopefully he has another great season like last year.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Steamer

[QUOTE=Wetcoaster;36685443]Roberto Luongo was back in Vancouver and on the ice for an informal skate Tuesday.

"Unfortunately, we let it slip away, especially in the Boston games, and we never really recovered from that.
Notice how he doesn't admit to choking big time in game 6. Man do I hate his contract.

Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:01 AM
NYVanfan

nice article

how quickly ppl forget that up until the last few games he was in conn smyth contention, or that the team in front of him scored an average of 1.1 goals per game in the SCF.

he has absolutely the right attitude, and I too am confident & excited for the season.

go get em Luo, there's at least one Canuck fan behind you all the way.

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Ernie

deja vu.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post

"Unfortunately, we let it slip away, especially in the Boston games, and we never really recovered from that.
Notice how he doesn't admit to choking big time in game 6. Man do I hate his contract.
Let me know when you find quotes from the rest of the team taking personal responsibility for not scoring enough and choking right along side Luongo.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:30 AM
hawgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I love that people accuse Luongo of being mentally weak and then turnaround and complain every time he doesn't genuflect for the media and cry and tell them what a loser he is and how he let down all the annoying Canucks fans.
Thank you for this quote. I agree completely.

hawgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:34 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Based on what? Blowing up in Game 6 against Chicago? Or his poor record against the Top 10 offensive team in the league during the regular season? Or based on the fact that he felt the need to defend Luongo to the media instead of worrying about his own job?

Yes, the goalie that hasn't even had to be a starter yet is clearly the one stronger mentally.
Call it a hunch then. But from what I've seen throughout Schneider's career at this point, he seems to be a stronger goalie mentally. Again, this is just my opinion.

edit - how did he blow up in game 6 against Chicago? if you are talking blowing up, look at games 4 and 5 from Luongo. If you are talking about a couple errors he made handling the puck, look at Luongo's games vs SJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridescently View Post

Scheider is a question mark. I agree that he is going to be a fantastic starting goalie someday, but you don't bench a multiple time Vezina nominee for a guy that has played 35 games in the NHL.
Like I said, in no way do I think Schneider should replace Luongo. All I said is that Luongo is not mentally strong.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

I feel the need to explain myself further.

Luongo is an intellectual. He probably has an iq in mensa territory. As such I believe he is more prone than the average player to over think situations. Especially being a goaltender.

When he lets in a bad five hole goal, you can see him compensate by altering his game. Same goes for being beaten high. He doesn't maintain the mentality of "Well, my game is strong. Sure this one went in, but if I just stick to my game everything will be fine." He tries to adjust his techniques on the fly. Which to me says he lacks confidence.

Lacking confidence, emotionally weak, however you want to describe it. Its true imo and I have seen it from him over the past couple of years. I think he is a fantastic goalie, and the only thing he needs to do to be the guy to take us to the promised land is have more faith in his ability. Stop over thinking situations and just play his game regardless of what happened before the last whistle.

If he can do this, I would have no issues with him. I don't care if he is kind of a princess (which he is), all I care about is on ice performance.

For the record, not all who are critical of Luongo are so because he doesn't fess up to the media. Do you blame him? I don't. The guy gets a disproportionate amount of criticism for a goalie of his skill. He obviously doesn't want to fan the flames, or justify the ungodly and unacceptable amount of criticism he receives from the media. I wouldn't either if I were him.

That's where I stand on the "Luongo issue". I'm not just fine with him being 'our guy', I'm happy about it. I just want him to stick to his game and stop changing it on the fly. Stop over thinking situations and have confidence in his game. He is a great goalie, with a great amount of inherent skill. He doesn't need to try and fix what isn't broken.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Call it a hunch then. But from what I've seen throughout Schneider's career at this point, he seems to be a stronger goalie mentally. Again, this is just my opinion.

edit - how did he blow up in game 6 against Chicago? if you are talking blowing up, look at games 4 and 5 from Luongo. If you are talking about a couple errors he made handling the puck, look at Luongo's games vs SJ.

Like I said, in no way do I think Schneider should replace Luongo. All I said is that Luongo is not mentally strong.
I somewhat agree with this. I don't know if Schneider is a "mentally stronger", I have no proof that its the case, but I feel more confident with Schneider in net for whatever reason. Not saying Luongo is bad by any stretch but Schneider's demeanor and seemingly unflappable personality give me greater confidence in him over Lu.

Old
09-14-2011, 10:03 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Let me know when you find quotes from the rest of the team taking personal responsibility for not scoring enough and choking right along side Luongo.
^^This.

And from my perspective, I see pro atheletes, in any sport, always, always always making it a point to emphasize the positives.

It makes zero sense to beat oneself up. There's enough of that going on in the media and the fan base. These guys want to win, and the conventional wisdom dictates that you take positives out of every experience and you keep a positive mental attitude as much as possible.

Makes no sense for anyone on this team to pull a mea culpa. I'm pretty damned sure that to a man, they accept responsibility for what happened. And I have confidence that they have learned from this.

Doesn't guarantee a Cup. Just gives us another shot.

ddawg1950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Hopeless Unbeliever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Not taking sides on the Luongo debate, but the Sedins were very straight talking in their personal acceptance of blame for the SCF.

Example

Hopeless Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Crows*

This group will get it done... They are just painfully slow learners.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless Unbeliever View Post
Not taking sides on the Luongo debate, but the Sedins were very straight talking in their personal acceptance of blame for the SCF.

Example
Thanks....I hadn't read that. Classy as ever from the Sedins.

Old
09-14-2011, 10:54 AM
droller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post

Why is this hard to believe? You think a guy that's been in the league longer is automatically mentally stronger?

There is way too much to the mental game of sports but Cory Schneider seems mentally stronger than Luongo. It makes sense too... He's a young man just getting his chance. Luongo has had critics of his game for ages now and that wears on someone mentally... It becomes harder and harder to mentally prepare yourself to play your "A game" night in and night out.

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
This group will get it done... They are just painfully slow learners.
The Canucks or the posters in this thread?

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote