HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal.

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2011, 05:11 AM
Flamingo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
Interesting. If my poor memory is correct, just before draft day, Sens management were saying that they ran through all the likely draft scenarios, and there was only one that they didn't like. I figure this must have been their worst case scenario, with RHN, Larsson, Huberdeau, Landeskog and Strome all taken, they weren't thrilled with having to pick either Couturier or Zibanejad. Does anyone else remember it this way, or am I delusional?

I expect that the Senators management must be a lot happier now. Time will tell, of course, but this guy does seem to be a top flight prospect. He seems to be solid in most aspects of the game, and has his head screwed on right as well.
Dorion also said there was a 90% chance their worst-case scenario would not happen. I don't think that those 5 are so unlikely to be chosen. Maybe you could argue they didn't think Strome would go top 5, but I doubt it.

I wonder if that "bad" scenario would have been Larsson, b/c they needed a forward prospect now for the rebuild. You can believe in BPA all you want, but if you don't think you need yet another top flight d-man, you can't count on trading for a forward prospect.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Drama

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
He's bigger then Gretzky so that means he'll be better. Plus he's Persian so his golden age will last 50% longer and provide him with +10% combat strength and +1 movement.

The great one has nothing on that!
If he puts on his Wizard Hat he will also have +6 intellect and +3 magic resistance.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:43 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
Dorion also said there was a 90% chance their worst-case scenario would not happen. I don't think that those 5 are so unlikely to be chosen. Maybe you could argue they didn't think Strome would go top 5, but I doubt it.

I wonder if that "bad" scenario would have been Larsson, b/c they needed a forward prospect now for the rebuild. You can believe in BPA all you want, but if you don't think you need yet another top flight d-man, you can't count on trading for a forward prospect.
I wouldn't actually have thought this before the draft, as I would have loved to get Larsson on draft day, but now on reflection, this seems more and more likely to be what management was thinking.

You draft BPA no matter what, but the staff probably were dreading getting another defenseman over a bluechip forward considering our prospect pool at the time.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:46 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
He's bigger then Gretzky so that means he'll be better. Plus he's Persian so his golden age will last 50% longer and provide him with +10% combat strength and +1 movement.

The great one has nothing on that!
I heard he built the Chichén Itza... Can't wait t'ill a great person pops up. 160 goals no problem.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:50 AM
DSL

has anyone made the comparison to iron man yet?

Last edited by DSL: 09-14-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old
09-14-2011, 06:10 AM
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back

Zibanejad became my favorite prospect when he did that dance off with his cousin.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:04 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

In a way he almost reminds me of a far less dominant Todd Bertuzzi. He will likely never have his strength/physicality and maybe not his hands either (early to tell), and might not ever hit prime-Bert's skating ability, but I think he will have a longer prime and will certainly maintain his speed better. Bertuzzi got really good at skating and then quickly got pretty bad. Zibanejad is already a good skater so I'd be very surprised if he just "lost it" in his early 30s. Anyways, I think the Hossa-lite comparison is better but whatever, I'm bored.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

I loved his goal, but thats not what I like most about him. It seems hes always working and banging in the corners. Also I like how hes creative with the face-offs, sometimes he would go forward with the puck while others he brought it back.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:36 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

When we drafted Zibanejad, I viewed him as a player who would be ready in a year ala Karlsson (and would have preferred allow him develop in the SEL for another year). His play in development camp and more recently the rookie tourny has made me lavish at the thought of having him play in Ottawa this year. His style is exactly what we need to add to our top six.

I'm very excited to see what kind of player Mika develops into.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
In a way he almost reminds me of a far less dominant Todd Bertuzzi. He will likely never have his strength/physicality and maybe not his hands either (early to tell), and might not ever hit prime-Bert's skating ability, but I think he will have a longer prime and will certainly maintain his speed better. Bertuzzi got really good at skating and then quickly got pretty bad. Zibanejad is already a good skater so I'd be very surprised if he just "lost it" in his early 30s. Anyways, I think the Hossa-lite comparison is better but whatever, I'm bored.
From what I saw this guy is and will be a better skater than Bert and will have a better skill set. 6"2 215-220 is reasonable, he looks physically mature like landeskog out there, but he's not.

Be interesting to see how far Tim
Murray goes at 1105 on the team. In the entire organization currently, zibanejad may end up the best player of them all in time. I do believe he showed us that type of potential. Pretty stoked about his combo of size potential, skill and skating....could do well this year.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
From what I saw this guy is and will be a better skater than Bert and will have a better skill set. 6"2 215-220 is reasonable, he looks physically mature like landeskog out there, but he's not.

Be interesting to see how far Tim
Murray goes at 1105 on the team. In the entire organization currently, zibanejad may end up the best player of them all in time. I do believe he showed us that type of potential. Pretty stoked about his combo of size potential, skill and skating....could do well this year.
When I was watching him line-up to take the face-offs it blew me away the size that this kid has already. It's not very often you get a kid this young that has the skill package he has already put together nicely. Size, Skating, Puck skills, Drive. He has all of these already at the age of 18, compared to the other guys drafted this year, I believe he may end up a top 3 player in the end, and thats saying something as I am very high on many players in this draft.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:49 AM
SenzZen

I see the guy skate with or without the puck and the word "wingspan" springs to mind.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Upside I'd see similar to a Ron Francis type. Awesome two-way player, who is physical, has strong leadership and could be a top center on a contender. Not a Hart trophy guy necessarily, but an elite center and allstar just the same.

Down side likely a Bobby Holik. Again, big solid two-way guy who drives other teams nuts and will have some good years of production, although never a true #1.

Both guys have a few rings.

I personally saw him to be much more likely as the latter of those two, but this week has been encouraging. Perhaps there is some elite offensive upside there after all.

Hard not to like him as a prospect, no matter how you see it.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:26 AM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
I don't really see Sundin. Sundin's was at his best below the hash marks, controlling the puck in the corners before methodically making a play.

Zib is more of a transition player like Hossa (when he was an Ottawa Senator under the Martin system), at his best when going full speed.
I definitely dont see Hossa. Hossa's is a winger and by definition will be playing a different game than the center. Hossa had awesome transitional speed and was a pure goal scorer. I see Zib be better defensively and more of a power forward.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:33 AM
operasen

Going to be interesting to see how he stacks up against Regin. Da Costa in that mix as well, but Mika has to go back to Sweden (no call ups) if he does not make the team. I think he does, and Regin moves to the wing, displacing Winchester, Greening or Condra.

If Petersson shows his stuff, he makes it as well (I think he will) and someone like Condra or even Smith starts in Bingo until Murray makes a deal. Winchester is lost in all of this.

We are going to have many fan favourites this year amongst the young guns.

I wonder what a Petersson - Zibanejad - Alfredsson would do to the roster

Filatov - Spezza - Michalek/Butler
Petersson - Zibanejad - Alfredsson/Butler
Greening - Smith - Regin/Michalek
Foligno - Konopka/Winchester - Neil

DaCosta, Condra? Too many pieces that don't quite fit yet.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Pilgore88

In my perfect world Z would stay the year as the #2 center and prove his worth, Cowen starts the year and shows he can handle minutes, and halfway through the year we get rid of Kuba and Winchester and are able to call up Rundblad and Petersson for the remaining 30 or so games. That would go a long way to giving our youth time to adjust and grow towards the 2012-13 season and beyond. Coupled with the inclusion of Silfverberg, we would have a very young, potentially potent offense for the 2012-13 season and beyond.

Old
09-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Manny*

He still looks raw out there. I remember a Swedish poster saying before the draft that he attempts very advanced moves and "pulls them off nowadays." I think it will take some time before his creativity and skill bears fruit in the NHL like it did in the SEL. On the other hand, he offers so much more, and it will be hard to justify keeping him off the roster.

Old
09-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Bilbo Baggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Going to be interesting to see how he stacks up against Regin. Da Costa in that mix as well, but Mika has to go back to Sweden (no call ups) if he does not make the team. I think he does, and Regin moves to the wing, displacing Winchester, Greening or Condra.

If Petersson shows his stuff, he makes it as well (I think he will) and someone like Condra or even Smith starts in Bingo until Murray makes a deal. Winchester is lost in all of this.

We are going to have many fan favourites this year amongst the young guns.

I wonder what a Petersson - Zibanejad - Alfredsson would do to the roster

Filatov - Spezza - Michalek/Butler
Petersson - Zibanejad - Alfredsson/Butler
Greening - Smith - Regin/Michalek
Foligno - Konopka/Winchester - Neil

DaCosta, Condra? Too many pieces that don't quite fit yet.
Yeah, but it will be a lot of fun seeing how they work their way into the lineup. Interestingly, I saw in the Sun, that Regin has now started skating again. I wonder if watching DaCosta and Zibanejad play in this tournament gave him a little push to get back on the ice quickly. I reallly like Regin, but I would say that the competition for the second line center job is heating up a bit. It is always good to have a good healthy competition.

Petersson will also be interesting. He really isn't bottom-six player, so it will be pretty tough for him to crack the lineup. The way he is playing must be opening the coaches eyes a bit though. I hope he makes it really a hard decision for the coaching staff to send him to Bingo.

Now, if only Silfverberg had not decided to stay in Sweden. That would have been even more interesting!

Old
09-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Bilbo Baggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Zibanejad became my favorite prospect when he did that dance off with his cousin.
OK, that might have been a little lame, but I think it was in a good way. I like to see a young prospect well grounded with a good family to support him. He seems to be a really nice young man, with a close family. That will go a long way to help him as he works his way into the NHL.

Old
09-14-2011, 12:29 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

What's intriguing about Z-Bad is that he dangles with finesse and then goes out and elbows a guy in the head in the same shift.

What an interesting package he presents.

Old
09-14-2011, 12:37 PM
enviro61

Makes you wonder why management held off on the rebuild as long as they had. Seeing the fans get excited about the future is the most positive thing we've had going for us in yrs.

Old
09-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRenzo View Post
I definitely dont see Hossa. Hossa's is a winger and by definition will be playing a different game than the center. Hossa had awesome transitional speed and was a pure goal scorer. I see Zib be better defensively and more of a power forward.
I've been very impressed with Zibanejad's speed and acceleration. There have been times when he doesn't look like he's part of the rush (because he's been deep in his zone and his linemates are far ahead of him) and times when he looks like he's not going to be able to back-check and then all of a sudden he's there.

I'm not sure I see Hossa exactly either. Ultimately each of these guys is his own player. And I agree with others that he's still quite raw - in particular I'd like to see him be a bit more patient in the offensive zone at times. But definitely the excitement comes from the fact that he's so young (a week younger than RNH, even) and yet shows so much potential in so many different areas.

Old
09-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
Makes you wonder why management held off on the rebuild as long as they had. Seeing the fans get excited about the future is the most positive thing we've had going for us in yrs.
You need the right GM and scouting staff to be able to make this happen tho.

Old
09-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
What's intriguing about Z-Bad is that he dangles with finesse and then goes out and elbows a guy in the head in the same shift.

What an interesting package he presents.
All in a big body at high speed with smarts.

Old
09-14-2011, 12:57 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRenzo View Post
Certainly position impacts how a guy plays, but I'm not sureyou have a very clear memory of Hossa. I don't think anyone has ever considered Hossa a pure goal scorer, though he certainly is a very capable one. Also, Hossa has always been very good defensively, and if he were born in Moose Jaw would be considered a power forward.

The comparison isn't perfect. No comparison ever is. But there are some similarities. The biggest question for me when comparing the two however, would be if Zib's puck skills at high speeds are as great as Hossa's.

Last edited by N Bahn Ahden: 09-14-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Closed Thread