HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on the Avs/Caps deal

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2003, 02:22 PM
  #1
GoPenguins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 2,441
vCash: 500
Thoughts on the Avs/Caps deal

Whilst browsing I noticed the Avs-Caps trade. I beleive this was the full trade.

The Avs acquired winger Steve Konowalchuk and a Round 3 pick in 2004 from the Washington Capitals in exchange for winger Bates Battaglia and prospect Jonas Johansson.

I dont mean to disrespect Steve Konawalchuk, but couldnt we have come up with a comparable and decent package for the Avs? I would have thought we could have shipped plenty of Konawalchk type players to the Avs if it meant getting someone like Battaglia AND a good prospect in Jonas Johannson. If they wanted grit, we coulda shipped them Holzinger, Meloche, Webb or a whole host of other 3rd or 4th line grinders. I can understand the Avs dealing with an Eastern conference team. I kinda wish it was ours

GoPenguins is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 02:38 PM
  #2
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPenguins
Whilst browsing I noticed the Avs-Caps trade. I beleive this was the full trade.

The Avs acquired winger Steve Konowalchuk and a Round 3 pick in 2004 from the Washington Capitals in exchange for winger Bates Battaglia and prospect Jonas Johansson.

I dont mean to disrespect Steve Konawalchuk, but couldnt we have come up with a comparable and decent package for the Avs? I would have thought we could have shipped plenty of Konawalchk type players to the Avs if it meant getting someone like Battaglia AND a good prospect in Jonas Johannson. If they wanted grit, we coulda shipped them Holzinger, Meloche, Webb or a whole host of other 3rd or 4th line grinders. I can understand the Avs dealing with an Eastern conference team. I kinda wish it was ours
Konowalchuk is way, WAAAY better than Holzinger, Meloche, and Webb combined.

Jacob is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 02:42 PM
  #3
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd
 
The Tang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh. PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,242
vCash: 500
i do think we could have put a similar package together for Kono. i have a feeling the prospect in the deal was significant to McPhee though, as he was a 1st rounder and is only 19. but i would have liked to get Kono, i think he would be very good for the 2nd line.

The Tang is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 02:55 PM
  #4
Koltsov71
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Very nice deal for the Avalanche.

As I am also a Hurricanes fan, I am all too famaliar with Battaglia. He's the type of guy I would not want on my team.

As far as the deal itself goes, I suppose it all hinges on Johansson.

 
Old
10-23-2003, 06:31 PM
  #5
Wingboy2999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Something the Avs need they got......damn. Kono brings leadership, they don't need it but you can never have enough leadership. Grit and a decent offensive game. Nothing to special but much better then Battaglia.

Wingboy2999 is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 06:51 PM
  #6
Robert Paulson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Happy Valley
Country: United States
Posts: 5,880
vCash: 500
Yeah, because Kono is a good role player, and Battaglia never did well in Colorado. Also, Colorado doesn't care too much about prospects, they can buy most of their talent.

PS: woo! 700th post :p

Robert Paulson* is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 06:56 PM
  #7
Koltsov71
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPens63
Colorado doesn't care too much about prospects
Sure they do. Their draft record is excellent.

 
Old
10-23-2003, 07:06 PM
  #8
Robert Paulson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Happy Valley
Country: United States
Posts: 5,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov47
Sure they do. Their draft record is excellent.
Yeah, they have drafted a lot of good players. By saying what I did I kinda meant that this year they are going for more of an all or nothing thing by getting Kariya and Selanne so prospects are not as much of a concern THIS year as winning the cup is. They are definitely not the New York Rangers when it comes to prospects though . They gave up a pretty good prospect to get Kono.

It's late, give me a break

Robert Paulson* is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 08:40 PM
  #9
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd
 
The Tang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh. PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPens63
They are definitely not the New York Rangers when it comes to prospects though . They gave up a pretty good prospect to get Kono.
no, but they do give up good prospects for specialized players, i.e Vrbata for Battaglia, and Nederost in a deal that i cant remember.

The Tang is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 08:44 PM
  #10
Wingboy2999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface
Yeah they draft very well, but they also trade those guys very fast.


Nedorost i think should have stayed in Colorado, the guy has some potential, same as Jonas and Bates.


Why trade away a younger version of the guy you want? If the avs don't win it this year, Konowalchuk will leave, he is a UFA at the end of the season...remember Kariya is also signed to 1yr, if the avs don't even make it past 1st round, these guys will bolt.
You trade away a younger version because you want to win now. And, obviously, the Avs are in a win now mode.

Wingboy2999 is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 08:47 PM
  #11
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd
 
The Tang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh. PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingboy2999
You trade away a younger version because you want to win now. And, obviously, the Avs are in a win now mode.
i can understand the Kono deal, becasue threy can easily resign him. i dont understand the Vrbata deal at all though.

The Tang is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 09:06 PM
  #12
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,430
vCash: 500
So basically it's Nedorost, Johansson and Vrbata for Konowalchuk and that fighting scrub...

Evilo is offline  
Old
10-23-2003, 09:40 PM
  #13
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
If the Avs knew how to use their youth properly
The Avs are the absolute benchmark in not only drafting and developing, but just plain winning in general. They must be doing something right.

Now you say "hey man whuts ur problem".

Jacob is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 04:47 AM
  #14
Koltsov71
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero
i dont understand the Vrbata deal at all though.
To say that that deal was a steal for the Hurricanes would be a monumental understatement. Vrbata is very young and extremely talented. I cannot wait to see what he does in the next couple of years. I'm expecting big things from him.

 
Old
10-24-2003, 04:48 AM
  #15
Koltsov71
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
The Avs are the absolute benchmark in not only drafting and developing, but just plain winning in general. They must be doing something right.

Now you say "hey man whuts ur problem".
Exactly.

 
Old
10-24-2003, 06:55 AM
  #16
kutdacheez
Registered User
 
kutdacheez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Franklin Park, PA
Posts: 1,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPenguins
I dont mean to disrespect Steve Konawalchuk, but couldnt we have come up with a comparable and decent package for the Avs? I would have thought we could have shipped plenty of Konawalchk type players to the Avs if it meant getting someone like Battaglia AND a good prospect in Jonas Johannson. If they wanted grit, we coulda shipped them Holzinger, Meloche, Webb or a whole host of other 3rd or 4th line grinders.
Colorado could have picked up Webb as a FA but didn't. Holzinger is one step away from where he played last year and where meloche plays now. The AHL. You give these three players way too much credit IMHO.

As to the Washington $parc, apparently Konowalchuk was told that he wouldn't be resigned next season, so this can't be a big surprise to him. Especially since the famed checking line hasn't played that well since Dalhen left the team two seasons ago. Konowalchuk was dropped to the fourth line right before the trade. So, IMHO all-in-all, McPhee made an okay trade. Batts Battaglia is not more nor that much less than Konowalchuk and basically what Washington got was an unsigned (pretty good prospect) in Jonas Johansson (who, BTW plays at Kamloops with Erik Christensen) and if they don't sign him get a second round choice from Colorado. The $parc also gave up a third round pick.
I see the deal as almost even . . . with the $parc holding a good edge if they sign Johansson.

Quote:
I can understand the Avs dealing with an Eastern conference team. I kinda wish it was ours
I don't see anything that the Penguins could do to be in that deal for a win-win for both teams. And why would you want Bates Battaglia, anyway?

kutdacheez is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 01:50 PM
  #17
Robert Paulson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Happy Valley
Country: United States
Posts: 5,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface
All i know is that Skoula should be better than he is right now, i don't know what happened to his production, it dropped off dramatically last year.
I think ever since they got Morris, Colorado doesn't care as much about Skoula. He has a bright future, but it's being shadowed by at least 4 other guys playing ahead of him.

Robert Paulson* is offline  
Old
10-24-2003, 03:19 PM
  #18
GoPenguins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 2,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutdacheez
Colorado could have picked up Webb as a FA but didn't. Holzinger is one step away from where he played last year and where meloche plays now. The AHL. You give these three players way too much credit IMHO.

As to the Washington $parc, apparently Konowalchuk was told that he wouldn't be resigned next season, so this can't be a big surprise to him. Especially since the famed checking line hasn't played that well since Dalhen left the team two seasons ago. Konowalchuk was dropped to the fourth line right before the trade. So, IMHO all-in-all, McPhee made an okay trade. Batts Battaglia is not more nor that much less than Konowalchuk and basically what Washington got was an unsigned (pretty good prospect) in Jonas Johansson (who, BTW plays at Kamloops with Erik Christensen) and if they don't sign him get a second round choice from Colorado. The $parc also gave up a third round pick.
I see the deal as almost even . . . with the $parc holding a good edge if they sign Johansson.


I don't see anything that the Penguins could do to be in that deal for a win-win for both teams. And why would you want Bates Battaglia, anyway?
I was not getting excited about Battaglia...was more intrigued that a team was willing to ship out a recent 1st round player so early in his development.

And I know Colorado could have taken Webb, Meloche etc..I was just using their names as examples of grinding type players we had. Personally, I didnt consider Konowalchuk that big of a steal. But perhaps I am doing him a dis-service. He might be one of those unnoticed, unsung hero guys

GoPenguins is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.