HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

No more excuses for Ron Wilson

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Suntouchable13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Weighing the options...good pick + Wilson fired or playoffs..most likely first round exit and Wilson extended.

I bet he gets extended if play good enough to give more optimism but miss the playoffs. I just hope that if we are not in playoffs in next season Wilson is also gone.
If the Leafs miss the playoffs that means that they will finish with about the same point total as last season or less. Only way to give optimism at this point is to actually make the playoffs. I don't know about you but finishing with 5 more points this season (finishing with 90 points) and miss the playoffs again does not give me more optimism at all. It is just more of the same.

Old
09-12-2011, 07:44 PM
SprDaVE

Hard to disagree.

Old
09-12-2011, 08:20 PM
feeel10

I actually like ron wilson as a coach. I think he has the experience needed to put a GOOD team,which we never really had with him as coach, in the playoff and have some success too. If we make the playoff this year, i sure don't want him to be fired, which wouldnt make sense anyway lol.

Old
09-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeel10 View Post
I actually like ron wilson as a coach. I think he has the experience needed to put a GOOD team,which we never really had with him as coach, in the playoff and have some success too. If we make the playoff this year, i sure don't want him to be fired, which wouldnt make sense anyway lol.
he had a top team in SJ, and failed in the playoffs.

Old
09-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrKO28 View Post
Good thing he left or they would've never went on to actually achieve something in the playoffs

Old
09-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Yeah, as the old saying goes "you can't fire the team, but you can fire the coach"... well Burke just fired the team, he's out of options.

Old
09-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
with that team he constantly made the playofs, and without him how much success has there been? Again, we are so used to blaming the coaches and getting rid of them if we hit a pitfall that we don't realize the players are at fault too.

Just stop and think, compare our team 3 years back to now, I was hard in the tank nation bandwagon but really look at it now and tell me to do so, I will be in the opposite side of the river.

Old
09-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
HANTA YO!

How many weeks in do we get in before the "Fire Wilson" thread is bumped?
4 days.

Old
09-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
4 days.
wasn't it funny when everyone shut up after that miraculous end of the season run and then i think we hit a small funk and they bumped that thread lol i was like WOW..
only in leaf land do you see the wilson is a good coach and then fire our coach.

Old
09-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinfeller View Post
Ron Wilson has been a successful coach for many years, and has done an admirable job with the ever changing face of the Maple Leafs bench these past few seasons. Given what he had to work with for the majority of this past season, I would say it reflects well on Ronnie that the team finished above .500

The Leafs have missed the playoffs every year under Wilson's tenure because they have been rebuilding, not neccesarily because of the coaching staff.
I agree but I think he is on a short leash and he will have to get the team to the play-offs or else scenario, Burke has said as much by not extending his contract.

Old
09-12-2011, 10:05 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

I still want him gone. mr. bad vibes is not going to take this team to any cup contention. why do we even think that will happen in this equation?

Old
09-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
I agree but I think he is on a short leash and he will have to get the team to the play-offs or else scenario, Burke has said as much by not extending his contract.
I've been saying and believing its "Playoffs or Bust" for Wilson this season.

09-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinWasAdopted View Post
Good thing he left or they would've never went on to actually achieve something in the playoffs
Lmao this.

RW did a great job in SJ and their failures in the playoffs weren't his fault - as evidenced by their consistent failure since then.

I think RW is a coach who can win a cup. I think he has a good team now and hopefully the results will reflect that.

Old
09-12-2011, 10:20 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
wasn't it funny when everyone shut up after that miraculous end of the season run adn then i think we hit a small funk and they bumped that thread lol i was like WOW..
I can only speak for myself, but my views of Ron Wilson's coaching ability didn't change during that winning streak, regardless of where the thread was. He should have been fired two years ago.

Old
09-12-2011, 10:35 PM
hockeyfanz

The fact that Wilson doesn't have an extension in place pretty much states what this article says. I'm not sure that I want Wilson back regardless of how the team performs. We've seen his act here for quite some time now and it hasn't been all that impressive.

Like one poster said, a poor season could be a high draft pick and a new head coach. Not bad consolations.

Old
09-12-2011, 11:04 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I predict RW will retire at seasons end. Burke has fired 1 coach in his career, and he didn't even do that himself (Keenan). He's not gonna start now. RW did exactly what he was asked to do, which is develop a young team, so Burke won't throw him under the bus.

Old
09-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
I can only speak for myself, but my views of Ron Wilson's coaching ability didn't change during that winning streak, regardless of where the thread was. He should have been fired two years ago.
I guess each one to their own. I will still let this year's performance speak about wilson's coaching ability, it will be his last chance prove many critics wrong.

Old
09-13-2011, 12:24 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Quote:
And yet McLellan's been there for 3 seasons and hasn't gotten deeper in the playoffs than Wilson.

Old
09-13-2011, 07:09 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Which clearly, has been remedied by the slough of other coaches that've come in and what? Done exactly the same thing...

Old
09-13-2011, 07:09 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Isn't Ron Wilson the only coach to EVER get the Panthers into the playoffs? Maybe one other guy...

Old
09-13-2011, 07:31 PM
TML4eva*

Lol, wilson get to much hate here. He had a very bad roster to deal with, sure he the "nicest" coach but he does have exprience and a winning record. Hopefully, the new assisant coach will benfit wilson and his system

Old
09-14-2011, 07:43 AM
LeafsFan2414

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
this same article should have applied to last season. reimer saved wilson's job for him last year
Damn straight

Old
09-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Crispz

Many people hate RW for his feud with Grapes(stupid imo). Both are ego manics but they are also brilliant hockey minds. Give Ronnie a season with a respectable team and let's see what he can do.

This is the best team he has had since hes been here. Let's see what this team has got.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:02 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Didn't like him before he stepped behind the Leafs' bench.

His "you guys up there" talking about Canadians didn't sit well with me.

If he didn't like "us guys up here" he should have stayed south.

Coaches who have won Cups have been fired, so the winning record elsewhere so he doesn't have to win here crap is a very weak argument.

I certainly hope the new assistant coaches can change the culture of sucking that has developed in Toronto since the lock-out.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
09-14-2011, 10:00 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispz View Post
Many people hate RW for his feud with Grapes(stupid imo). Both are ego manics but they are also brilliant hockey minds. Give Ronnie a season with a respectable team and let's see what he can do.

This is the best team he has had since hes been here. Let's see what this team has got.
Really? I thought most people didn't like him for his lousy record coaching the Leafs. Or for his confrontational personality...or for his inability to accept responsibility for failure or for his constant "calling out" players in the media or for his wonderful dispostion or for his snarky, condescending comments to the media or for his lousy special teams or for his............

Closed Thread