HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

House Cleaning Must Go On This Season Too

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2011, 04:12 AM
Broilers

vCash: 500
House Cleaning Must Go On This Season Too

We have dived at least partly because of injuries last couple of season. It is a great possibility it will happen again this season. I am able to wait if we will get good picks and we have a good veterans to help kids growing.

I mean good veterans and it means that they are not just good persons off the ice but are able to help on the ice too. We have four guys who are always injured and we need to get rid of them. They can not help us when we are contending they are helping us to suck lottery balls.

Hemsky

If we just can. I really hope he is not out for season because then we will not get anything in return. If he is back we need to trade him immediately after 10-15 games.

Whitney

He should be traded before trading deadline because of same reasons than Hemsky. If we are gambling with him we can loose him to UFA without getting anything back.

Brule

His trading value is zero but if he recovers somebodsy might take a flyer and then he must be on is way to other destiny

Horcoff

There is no chance to move his contract we just need to hope that he can have a season without injuries when we are pushing for a play off spot. I can live this guy if we can off load others

Conclusion

Either we are trading these guys for some picks or we will dive season 2012-13 too. I am not ready for that. Let us trade them this season, pick top 3 pick and acquire some veterans with good character and ability stay healthy from UFA market next season.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:36 AM
Perfect_Drug

So... Offload our 2 best players, our captain, and a good player who was lost last season to injury.

But Khabby stays? :/

Old
09-14-2011, 05:03 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Big pass on all of that.

The Brule issue takes care of itself, a big no to trading Whitney - if anything, we need to add two more of him and I don't make a decision on Ales Hemsky until the deadline, injury risk or not.

Get used to the fact that Horcoff is not going anywhere until at least 2013. At this point, I'd welcome a trade just so I don't have to hear from some people on that anymore.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:55 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
We have dived at least partly because of injuries last couple of season. It is a great possibility it will happen again this season. I am able to wait if we will get good picks and we have a good veterans to help kids growing.

I mean good veterans and it means that they are not just good persons off the ice but are able to help on the ice too. We have four guys who are always injured and we need to get rid of them. They can not help us when we are contending they are helping us to suck lottery balls.

Hemsky

If we just can. I really hope he is not out for season because then we will not get anything in return. If he is back we need to trade him immediately after 10-15 games.

Whitney

He should be traded before trading deadline because of same reasons than Hemsky. If we are gambling with him we can loose him to UFA without getting anything back.

Brule

His trading value is zero but if he recovers somebodsy might take a flyer and then he must be on is way to other destiny

Horcoff

There is no chance to move his contract we just need to hope that he can have a season without injuries when we are pushing for a play off spot. I can live this guy if we can off load others
Losing Whitney is dangerous. It's gonna be 2-3 years till we've got enough top-4 d-men developed enough to have our blueline not looking like a joke.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:52 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Get used to the fact that Horcoff is not going anywhere until at least 2013. At this point, I'd welcome a trade just so I don't have to hear from some people on that anymore.
I'd welcome a trade too . Just so I don't have to watch Horc fumbling the puck night in and night out , getting injured and giving solemn interviews about how hard the team tries . Did you catch his interview with Tencer where he refers to the Oilers last place finish as "finishing first" ?
Worst captain the Oilers have ever had and its not even close . At least Corson could hit the net .

Old
09-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I'd welcome a trade too . Just so I don't have to watch Horc fumbling the puck night in and night out , getting injured and giving solemn interviews about how hard the team tries . Did you catch his interview with Tencer where he refers to the Oilers last place finish as "finishing first" ?
Worst captain the Oilers have ever had and its not even close . At least Corson could hit the net .
As well as his teammates and guys in bars.

Corson was far and away the worst captain in the history of the club, possibly the league.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:17 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Did he really say that? Maybe you misunderstood what he was saying? I have a hard time believing that he said that with a straight face, say what you want about Horcoff but the guy is a big time competitor so i highly doubt that he looked at a last place finish as finishing first.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Did he really say that? Maybe you misunderstood what he was saying? I have a hard time believing that he said that with a straight face, say what you want about Horcoff but the guy is a big time competitor so i highly doubt that he looked at a last place finish as finishing first.
And even if that were the case, why slag the guy for saying what fans and management know to be true? I guess some people would rather hear empty platitudes.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:23 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Well we trade those 4 guys and we most likely set ourselves even further back. Sure we probably can deal Brule without little backlash, but who wants him? Same can be said about Horcoff.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:24 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

How many players on the roster 3 years? Just a question

Stupidest threadt so far today

Btw

Horcoffs contract is untradable

Old
09-14-2011, 09:43 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Btw Horcoffs contract is untradable
Everyone knows that . We are just dreaming .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
As well as his teammates and guys in bars.

Corson was far and away the worst captain in the history of the club, possibly the league.
He may have been a terrible person but at least he could play some hockey .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Well I couldn't see his face since it was radio . It was an appalling interview with Tencer on Sept 5th .
Horcoff gets too much credit for being a "competitor" imo .

Last edited by harpoon: 09-14-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old
09-14-2011, 10:05 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
How many players on the roster 3 years? Just a question

Stupidest threadt so far today

Btw

Horcoffs contract is untradable
Oh it's tradable you just don't want the return.

Old
09-14-2011, 10:18 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:

He may have been a terrible person but at least he could play some hockey .
Horcoff catches too much crap for his contract. He is a decent 2nd/3rd line tweener, if his contract was 1.5 million per year, nobody would mention his play. It comes with making such a ridiculous amount I suppose, but its not like the guy is Steve McIntyre or anything, he can play the game, just not where he should for his contract. I wouldn't trade him either, Horcoff is no worse than the return we'd get (Scott Gomez, Rusty Olesz, etc.) and at least we know what he can bring to the team, unlike the other two wastes.

As per the original post, I agree with getting rid of Brule, but if we can't, no biggie. If we lose Whitney we are guaranteed a first overall pick for two more years. And considering he has played the best hockey of his life in Edmonton, I think we can lock him up long term. Lets just wait and see with his foot before we sluff him off for nothing. You can say the same for Hemsky, about his shoulder rather than his foot obviously.

Old
09-14-2011, 10:23 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Horcoff catches too much crap for his contract. He is a decent 2nd/3rd line tweener, if his contract was 1.5 million per year, nobody would mention his play. It comes with making such a ridiculous amount I suppose, but its not like the guy is Steve McIntyre or anything, he can play the game, just not where he should for his contract. I wouldn't trade him either, Horcoff is no worse than the return we'd get (Scott Gomez, Rusty Olesz, etc.) and at least we know what he can bring to the team, unlike the other two wastes.

As per the original post, I agree with getting rid of Brule, but if we can't, no biggie. If we lose Whitney we are guaranteed a first overall pick for two more years. And considering he has played the best hockey of his life in Edmonton, I think we can lock him up long term. Lets just wait and see with his foot before we sluff him off for nothing. You can say the same for Hemsky, about his shoulder rather than his foot obviously.
I don't think you want to lock up Whitney to much more than 4 years. The guy will be 30 when his contract expires.

Considering what guys like Whitney and Hemsky are worth right now you just don't trade them now. Can't afford to be giving away two of your best players when you are a 30th ranked team.

Old
09-14-2011, 10:33 AM
TwoLegit2Quit

Fire Maciocia !!

Old
09-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Moneypuck

Now here is a proactive thinker. If i had my way i'd add Gagner to that list as well.

Horcoff could be moved to a team scrambling to just make it to the cap floor. With the last two years on his contract being minimal dollars to go with a 5.5 cap hit, finding a taker next summer will be easier than most think.
Whitney is damaged goods, and if Hemsky gets injured again this season, he'll walk July 1st and the Oilers will get nothing for this asset. With these guys on the club we were a last place club two yrs in a row. We need less of these expensive underperforming veterans and more kids looking to prove themselve at the NHL level. Not all these kids will turn into impact players so the money thing will sort itself out and not be an issue.

Sell these guys to the highest bidder and do what can be done to add to that 18-19yr old group who will rule this team in two yrs. Maybe the Oilers could make a quantity move in exchange for one quality hockey player like Shea Weber.

Old
09-14-2011, 10:56 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I don't think you want to lock up Whitney to much more than 4 years. The guy will be 30 when his contract expires.

Considering what guys like Whitney and Hemsky are worth right now you just don't trade them now. Can't afford to be giving away two of your best players when you are a 30th ranked team.
You're right, I should have clarified. I certainly didn't mean a 10 year deal for Whitney. Something that takes him up to 34 years old at most. That gives him one more year to sign a deal before the +35 status kicks in and hinders things, assuming that doesn't change in the next CBA of course.

Old
09-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
Now here is a proactive thinker. If i had my way i'd add Gagner to that list as well.

Horcoff could be moved to a team scrambling to just make it to the cap floor. With the last two years on his contract being minimal dollars to go with a 5.5 cap hit, finding a taker next summer will be easier than most think.
Whitney is damaged goods, and if Hemsky gets injured again this season, he'll walk July 1st and the Oilers will get nothing for this asset. With these guys on the club we were a last place club two yrs in a row. We need less of these expensive underperforming veterans and more kids looking to prove themselve at the NHL level. Not all these kids will turn into impact players so the money thing will sort itself out and not be an issue.

Sell these guys to the highest bidder and do what can be done to add to that 18-19yr old group who will rule this team in two yrs. Maybe the Oilers could make a quantity move in exchange for one quality hockey player like Shea Weber.
So uh, who would we have as our (actual) vets to teach all of these 18-19 year olds?

Old
09-14-2011, 11:08 AM
voxel

We will continue to be last without vets like Hemsky, Whitney, etc. healthy and playing.

"Youth movement" needs to end some time. And not all youngsters will continue to develop (see Cogliano).

Brule can go by-bye. Never liked him as a player.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:15 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
You're right, I should have clarified. I certainly didn't mean a 10 year deal for Whitney. Something that takes him up to 34 years old at most. That gives him one more year to sign a deal before the +35 status kicks in and hinders things, assuming that doesn't change in the next CBA of course.
I think that 35+ rule sticks. I don't hear too many complaints about it.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Moneypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
So uh, who would we have as our (actual) vets to teach all of these 18-19 year olds?

Do we really want this group that has never achieved anything on their own to teach these kids how it's done? I'll trust Hall,Hopkins,Eberle and Paajarvi will accomplish much more on their own. What the heck has Hemsky,Horcoff and Gagner ever done, if anything, they would probably be a good example of what not to do. Losing isn't the norm for these new kids, get these veterans as far away from these kids as possible.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:16 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I think that 35+ rule sticks. I don't hear too many complaints about it.
Agreed. The only issue with it I've heard is the Pronger deal in Philly, and that was the GM being a dummy, not an issue with the rule.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
Do we really want this group that has never achieved anything on their own to teach these kids how it's done? I'll trust Hall,Hopkins,Eberle and Paajarvi will accomplish much more on their own. What the heck has Hemsky,Horcoff and Gagner ever done, if anything, they would probably be a good example of what not to do. Losing isn't the norm for these new kids, get these veterans as far away from these kids as possible.
The vets dont have to teach the kids anything.. They are to shelter them and let them grow at their own pace. Trading Hemsky+ Whitney IMO is stupid.
As for what have Hemsky\Horc\Gagner ever done question.. what have the kids done to show they will be any better then Gagner and Hemsky. Us fans have a very short memory and forget how highly we used to think about players who havent been lights out recently.
We were all projecting Gagner to be a PPG player when drafted and thought he would would be much more after the rookie season. Eberle and Pajaarvi are shiny toys now but could very well be the next Gagner + Cogliano..

Hemsky if healthy will remain > Eberle and Pajaarvi for the next 3 yrs.. Gagner will be more effective then RNH in the NHL for the net couple yrs aswell. Resigning both until Ebs and RNH are ready to be 70+ players would be the wise thing IMO.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Moneypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
The vets dont have to teach the kids anything.. They are to shelter them and let them grow at their own pace. Trading Hemsky+ Whitney IMO is stupid.
As for what have Hemsky\Horc\Gagner ever done question.. what have the kids done to show they will be any better then Gagner and Hemsky. Us fans have a very short memory and forget how highly we used to think about players who havent been lights out recently.
We were all projecting Gagner to be a PPG player when drafted and thought he would would be much more after the rookie season. Eberle and Pajaarvi are shiny toys now but could very well be the next Gagner + Cogliano..

Hemsky if healthy will remain > Eberle and Pajaarvi for the next 3 yrs.. Gagner will be more effective then RNH in the NHL for the net couple yrs aswell. Resigning both until Ebs and RNH are ready to be 70+ players would be the wise thing IMO.
One thing Hall and maybe even Hopkins will have is the ability to make other players game around them better. I just don't see that in those three veterans we spoke of.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Unless we are really worried about Whitney's long term health he needs to stay.