HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers 2, Jets 0: Hot Bunz

Old
09-14-2011, 02:08 AM
Tyrolean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
RNH was a big meh.

Nothing to worry about though. Hall had his meh games also.
A lot of 1st picks don't do as well as ones picked just after.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:11 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I have a feeling Bunz will turn out to be one of Stu's best picks.

He has all the makings of a "where did this goalie get drafted and how did this team get him?" kind of player that we as Oilers fans have wondered seemingly since forever about other goalies on other teams.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:25 AM
IV XIV XCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL View Post
Bunz
Played a very good game. Hope he continues his steady play. Definitely was the difference maker tonight.

RNH
Had a quiet game, but created chances. Despite not making a huge impact on the score sheet, I liked the fact he was very active defensively

Hamilton
Wasn't a factor in this game but it was nice that Nelson has Pittlick - Nugent-Hopkins - Hamilton line together. When they were out, they dominated the play.

Pittlick
I don't think he registered a point but you can tell, this kid can play. Solid all around game. Fast for a big guy and a likes to use his body. His release is great as well, though the one part of his game I see as a fault at this point is the use of his line mates. He's not using them effectively. Good individual play.

Davidson and Blaine
Both had quiet games. Maybe it was nerves but they didn't look like they were making a push to getting contracts. Its just one game but not impressed.

Martindale
Too bad he got injured but once again he looked good. Made a couple of really good plays in his own end to keep the Jets at bay. He also looked good on the forecheck. These past two games have been ok. Against the Canucks he had a good two period but looked invisible towards the end. Would like to see consistency in his game.

Pelss, Reider and Raijala
All three had quiet nights. Other than the Reider cross bar shot he was very invisible. Pelss was the best out of the three.

Gernat
Is it a Slovak thing to have big skinny defensemen with active sticks? Looked great, but needs to gain weight. Good hit and a wicked shot from the point. Never looked out of position though I think he played with Fedun so it was easier. Excited to see what he can bring to the Edmonton Ice this year.

Fedun
Had another solid game, though I wasn't impressed with his play during these games as I was watching Petry. Cheering for the local kid but he's got a long way to go to make the big club. I think he's already better then Chorney though.

Overall nice outing by the young guns for the Oilers.

GXL
I have not seen enough of him to verify your comment but I get that feeling from him too. He seems like a guy who's primary focus is to make himself look good and impressive. While that is not necessarily a flaw, it can be if your method of doing so is on the selfish side of the ledger. Hopefully I am wrong but that's how he comes across to me so far in his young career.

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:31 AM
Soundwave

Bunz hasn't even played a "real" game for the Oilers yet and he already has a nickname

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:53 AM
OILFAN #81

I am hoping Bunz gets selected for Team Canada at the World Juniors. I would like to see him have a great year in junior and a nice World Juniors. I have been impressed with him every time I have watched him.

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 04:19 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

For those that watched both prospect games... how would you compare the performances of Roy vs Bunz. I know most have Roy slipping in the prospect rankings compared to Bunz who is rising but overall what did you think of their overall abilities in those games?

To me this is probably THE most important area (goaltending) of development for the Oilers as their future depends on finding a legitimate #1 goalie... do you think Bunz has that potential (or Roy)? Personally I'm not convinced Dubnyk has #1 potential but this coming season should be a strong indicator with (hopefully) Khabby playing second fiddle to Dubby this year.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 04:35 AM
HopelessOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
For those that watched both prospect games... how would you compare the performances of Roy vs Bunz. I know most have Roy slipping in the prospect rankings compared to Bunz who is rising but overall what did you think of their overall abilities in those games?

To me this is probably THE most important area (goaltending) of development for the Oilers as their future depends on finding a legitimate #1 goalie... do you think Bunz has that potential (or Roy)? Personally I'm not convinced Dubnyk has #1 potential but this coming season should be a strong indicator with (hopefully) Khabby playing second fiddle to Dubby this year.
in my opinion, both were incredibly solid, but bunz definitely had the better game.

Roy was only beaten twice, and both goals could be attributed to defensive breakdowns, but bunz stoned them even on the D breakdowns.

Both had a few great saves. Roy with 2 or 3 bunz with 4 or 5.

Bunz has a really good glove hand, and just seemed to have incredibly quick reflexes when it came to everything from scrambling in the crease to snagging the puck out of mid air, to poke checking.

Roy seemed solid as well, but the performance bunz put on tonight was a thing of pure beauty.

I think both have the potential to play in the nhl someday. One game each is nothing to base it off of though. I still can't get over everyone writing off roy because of a few bad world junior games.

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

I think Bunz is the superior goalie prospect, and I've thought that way even before the WJHC last year. IMO Bunz is every bit Roy's equal when it comes to talent, but is much less erratic in his play style. There is a calmness in his game that I just don't see from Roy, even when Roy's playing well.

Add to that a glove hand that may be better than any other Oilers goalie currently in the organization and a strong puckhandling ability, and IMO the choice is clear.

For me, he is honestly one of this team's top prospects.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:02 AM
Joe Hallenback

Both goalies looked really solid. One thing about them both is how calm they seemed. No spastic head movements or flops all over the ice. They were sound positionally and gave up few bad rebounds. Oilers goalie coach can probably take alot of credit for how they looked to even just a year ago.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Ogopogo*

Unbeaten on the year!!! Is it too early to predict Stanley Cup glory...?

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:23 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
I was most impressed with Bunz, Pitlick, Martindale (before he left with injury) and Schauber.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:30 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
awesome game from bunz

he showed that the net is a one way street, exit only, nothing coming in. keep it tight bunz

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:51 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
awesome game from bunz

he showed that the net is a one way street, exit only, nothing coming in. keep it tight bunz
If i had been eating or drinking something while reading this, it would be covering my monitor - well done sir!

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:53 AM
CupofOil

Bunz and Fedun were easily the 2 best players last night, i'm really intrigued by Fedun to see if he can carry this play into preseason.
Bunz has impressed every game that i've seen him....last year's prospect tourney, the Red Deer series and last night. He's really climbing up our prospect ladder.

RNH and Martindale were terrific in the 1st period then RNH pretty much coasted the rest of the game or was disinterested but no big deal.
It's too bad about Martindale because he has been sublime in this tournament, they should look to sign him for sure.

Pitlick outside of a few nice hits early on and a few decent scoring chances looked rusty and out of sync with his linemates but that's to be expected since he hasn't had live game action for a long time.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:02 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Hfboards suddenly ranking Bunz just behind Hall & Eberle

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:35 AM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

The thing is, though, everyone needs to keep in mind that the other 4 teams our prospects are playing against right now are all in the bottom 5 ranked organizations on hockey's future. And the Oilers don't even play San Jose, we play the 27, 29, and 30th ranked organizations. It's really weak competition in this tourney and it's showing so far. Overall, I actually was kind of disappointed in the effort last night... clearly Edmonton was the more skilled team, but they really laid back in the second and especially the third, and let the Jets have a lot of opportunities they didn't deserve.

That said, I hope they absolutely humiliate the flames prospects.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

I agree that Bunz has a quick glove and it was in position and ready when it needed to be, but it wasn't tested. His "amazing" saves were the product of (1) O'Dell with forever in the slot and the shot being deflected by Van*achoo*inhizen's stick to Bunz's pad and then up in the air and (2) Telegin not being able to elevate the puck on the 3-on-1.

Granted, Bunz was right there with it and made the save both times in show stopping fashion. Still, he came out smelling like roses and I don't think he was truly tested, which bodes well for the young netminder.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I'm sure this has been talked about but why isn't Klefbom at this tourney? Is he still injured? Will he be at main camp?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:03 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I'm sure this has been talked about but why isn't Klefbom at this tourney? Is he still injured? Will he be at main camp?
Many Europeons under contract/playing in Europe do not attend camp.

For example Lander did not attend training camp after being drafted in 2009.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Many Europeons under contract/playing in Europe do not attend camp.

For example Lander did not attend training camp after being drafted in 2009.
Yeah and I know some do and I know that he had a minor injury there too. Was just curious why he wasn't there and if he was expected or not at the main camp.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Yeah and I know some do and I know that he had a minor injury there too. Was just curious why he wasn't there and if he was expected or not at the main camp.
Klefbom was injured. He recovered from it but got reinjured.
I doubt he wouldve made it to this tourney\camp even if he was healthy ala Lander last yr.

Pretty boring game last night aside from Bunz saves.
Pitlick is either weak on his skates or a bit of a diver. He did draw 3 penalties due to it so I guess its not too bad.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:22 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
He will not be at main camp. He said he expected that he would play a couple of years in Europe so I don't expect him next year either. (during interview on draft day)

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:42 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

The guy who wasn't Gene was horrible to listen to.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
The guy who wasn't Gene was horrible to listen to.
+1 .. The kid who was interviewing Renney was brutal too.. might be the same person.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Tarpit*

Quote:
Klefbom is under contract in the SEL and their season just started. He did have some freak accidents, but he is healthy again and should be playing in the first game.

Tarpit* is offline   Reply With Quote