HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you guys think is standing out after these first two games

Old
09-13-2011, 12:36 PM
zestystrat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
I think Bourque is playing out of his mind. Looks really good. BUT! I think he is easily knocked off the puck and I dont think he will have a good NHL career. LORD KNOWS I HOPE I AM WRONG, But I honestly see him as a very fast but unstable player. When he makes explosive moves around players he is not standing up. He plays like a lacrosse player does, in the fashion of if you are going around a player with speed you get a lower stance of gravity, lean into the player, put your arm that is closest to the player out so you can "shield" yourself away from them.

Problem with this is in the NHL the defenseman will just push u over. If he was a big kid with tree trunk legs, he could get away with it. But he leans too much and can be easily bowled over.

Again I am no talent scout. I am just stating what I SEE. I might be wrng and I HOPE I AM!
Agreed.

I didn't realize how small the kid is until I saw him playing....he seems like a boy out there. I keep thinking of Mike York and how I kept thinking his body wasn't going to last a full season.

At 5 9 / 170, it's a legitimate concern. There aren't a lot of Theo Fleury's out there.

Other then that I'd love to see him on the Garden ice at some point soon.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:02 AM
Ola

Some comments on the kids:

JT Miller
Our top prospect in the organization. I think that it is likely that JT Miller will become a very solid top 1/2 line center. I see a future center in him who 1) will skate really well, 2) will be strong in all facets of the game and 3) will have decent top end ability. Less in style than in terms of impact, I would like to put him in the Ryan Kessler/Mike Richards mold.

-He is already a good skater, and there is no reason not to believe that he will be a excellent skater in 2-3 years. He has those 2-3 leap strids in him already were he seperates himself against the D's. He has good agility, can turn in a hurry and set off with the puck. He has perfect size to skate well, not to short but not to big. A natrual skater. At the age of 18, it is definitely to be expected that he will be alot more explosive just in 12 months.

-His creative gene. He is not locked into this box created by a coach wanting to cut down on misstakes. In the SC PO's you would not want him to make some of the plays he is making out there, but the fact that he are making them now on a shift by shift basis will without any single doubt evolve his top end ability and enable him to find his way against lesser competition in the OHL.

-His attitude. He is a very mature, no-nonsense kid. He got his goal set.

Tim Erixon
Very good player and a very good prospect. He is probably a little better than what McD was at the same time last year, at the same time, the hard part is taking the step to the NHL, keep a high level, and adjust.

If he struggles I think he is the type who would be more exposed than McD in the same situation. Like he is tossed into the NHL and struggles for a couple of weeks, he is the type who could hear it at the garden. For example.

But we shouldn't let that cloud our judgement of him. He has more offensive potential anyone in our current top 4, he has good size, he is not lost infront of his own net or defensively. He could turn out to be a helluva pickup and a important part of our future. No doubt.

Christian Thomas
What a release!

You gotta love it.

I am impressed with how he has improved his speed/quickness over the summer. He had a heck of a season last year and got the finnish the season in AHL. No doubt, he hanged 'em up for the season with a positive feeling, and that has carried him over the summer where he obviously have put in a ton of work. When I first saw him he skated more like St. Croix/McCoulghan in this tourney, he skated well, he could distance himself form D's with good technique. But didn't stand out with his speed. He had definitely added a gear to that engine.

There is absolutely nothing not to like about this kid. All I want to say is that we should keep our expectations in shack.

Why? He aint Pat Kane.

Look at the top 30 in scoring, IE basically the top scoring player on each team, and you see a range from 104 pts to 66 pts. Cheechoo won the Maurice not so long ago, its pretty insane to talk about point totals. But over the course of a career, Thomas does not fit into that range of players. His potential fits alot better among the second pagers, top 31-60. And now the range drops from 50 to 60 pts.

Players like him, who are small and who only really stands out with his sniping as opposed to being a playmaker/creative dynamo like a Kane, they just don't pop 55+ pts that often...

I definitely however think that he can become a important part of our team in the future. He will get a opertunity to go back to juniors and dominate even more, and who knows, maybe he can add another dimension to his offensive game if he really gets to be that guy everything always centers around on his team.

Like him now. And I like his potential, and especially, the environment he will be put in, to develop.

Dylan McIlrath
I like this kid too, but I also worry about him. And I worry more about him after seing him in Traverse than I did after watching a bunch of old WHL games with him this sumer.

And I can understand him.

Like I said instantly when I saw him this sumer, and what suprised me the most all cathegorys when watching a bunch of our kids the first time, thats how underdeveloped he is defensively. I mean, he aint a defensiveminded D at all. But in the WHL, he can function as one.

What have made me actually worrying more about him after seing him in Traverse -- thats how frustrated this have made him, and how much it have thrown him off balance.

And in a sense I can understand that. Realistically -- and this will be a important issue to follow! -- he could end up, in a offensive situation, as a 4th/5th D on his team. Thats just not good for him. Just like Kreider who also ended up in a smaller role. Like I wouldn't be worried for him if I knew he was going to end up playing 35+ minutes a night in the WHL. But if he becomes like the Colin White of his team every time they trail on the scoreboard/gets alot of PP's -- thats not what he needs.

The thing is, with his reach and strengths, skating, he can cheat in the WHL. It doesn't push him much to kill off a PK. What he does need is to grow in to the body and the pro-game. Become comfortable on the ice. There is a ocean between like Erixon and McI in these aspects. In subsequent shifts, McI and Erixon ended up in simular situations last night. Erixon first got to retrive a bouncing puck along the boards. TE skated to the boards, got to the puck, then froze (not looking up, not turning his head). A forechecker hunted him down, and as the forechecker made contact with him, Erixon reverted the puck to his D partner with a backhand, went up against the boards and took the hit making the forechecker fall on his but. McI retrieved the puck in the same situation, tried to turn up and bounced against a forechecker. The puck went bouncing out of controll -- but McI took the impact better than the forchecker and could pick it up. Now he went up the boards trying to transport the puck up ice, and ran into patrol. And than looked up and shot the puck off the boards out of the zone.

Its not about making misstakes or not. Its the thought process that is very raw on McI.

With this said, I do like him. We should only look for players that can make a impact. What type of impact are we looking for than? We are definitely setting up this group for a cup run. Let me tell you this, far from any kid are suited for that role early in their careers. We have the core of hard working 2-way guys, we don't need to build on that. Having a physical monster, that could help us for sure though. Brute force has a impact come may. Look at Lucic and "Buff". At Rod Brind'Amour.

But he is in no position to struggle in his development. The kid needs to get on track.

Ryan Bourque
I have said this for years now, I cannot pin-point him in a NHL line-up. But if there ever is a kid who you cannot pin-point into a line-up -- but still ends up making it, its players like him. A very very good hockeyplayer.

Carl Hagelin
We are looking at a very talented and good hockey player. But. You know what. This kid is on the outside and looking in this camp. Next season Thomas and Kreider will join the competition. And its not like there aren't any depth competition as of today (looking at Weise and several others).

I would just not bet on him playing in NY 3 years from now. Its just tough for guys like him. He is great to have in the system. He could force his way into the lineup for sure. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Michael St. Croix & McColololologhan
Talented guys, but they were drafted were they were drafted for a reason. I think maybe you can find a euro (russian) every now and then late, who comes to camp and you just go "yikes, this kid look like a late 1st/early 2nd but we got him in the 5th round", but obviously thats never the case with players like these kids.

Its not about what they are today. Its about what they can be in 12/24/36/48 months. Like 4 years after getting drafted, Ryan Callahan was one of the first players cut in camp (!!!). I suspect some of it probably had to do with Cally wanting to play on the right side, where we had a log-jam, and Renney and co probably were dissapointed with his unwillingness to adopt to the left side and sent him a message by including him in the group of first cuts. But I can guarantee that none of us would have screamed like "wow Cally is our future captain and leading scorer", had we seen him at a prospect camp at the age of 18.

On the downside with these kids, you definitely feel that their are already pretty far developed. They aren't exactly raw nor not in controll of their bodies or such.

What these kids needs to do is really get into super-duper shape. Add a ton of weight without loosing speed, but adding speed. They also need to take their offensive game to yet another level, where they at this level can make like spectacular plays every time they get the puck as opposed to just at times.

The odds of these kids making it is probably pretty low, but the potential is of course higher.

Noreau, Tommy Grant and co
Some guys looked decent (Noreau/Grant). JAM didn't impress me too much. To much PAPII for my liking.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:51 AM
EEL

DM is nowhere near where I thought he would be. He's constantly falling down and off balance. I know he's "young and unpolished" but I expect better. I liked the idea of this pick and I love his attitude but he's got a very long road. He hasn't really done anything except pummel a kid who was out of his league.

EEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:15 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

patience and pressure. those 2 words will define young mcilrath.

his play so far has been inconsistent and uncertain. this kid obviously cares and certainly seems the part to wear the c. he says the right things when the mic is in his face. he comes off as sincere and well spoken, quiet and humble. he interviews well. by all accounts, he a fine young man.

however, theres alot of pressure on him right now. pressure to perform and pressure to represent. hes got one down and one still needs work.

the important thing with this kid is to give him space. let him develop in moose jaw this year and then in hartford the year after. let him play his game but most importantly- and just like chris kreider, let him learn the game. thats his major issue right now. his decision making and execution are flawed. not because he cant, but because hes not there yet. tim erixon, for the most part, can but hes 2-3 years ahead of dylan in his development curve.

big mac is not instinctive right now. he just isnt. the game comes at him and he reacts rather than letting the game flow and reacting intuitively. thats tells me hes nervous and when you are nervous, everything happens faster and your reaction is to speed up yourself. thats never good. his confidence is lacking but thats expected to some degree against this level of competition.

im sure if we asked him this question..." dylan, have you been in the "zone" at all this week, he would say..."nope". he needs to get there and once he does, with his size and smarts, he could be the guy that we are all expecting him to be.

hes gotten by on size, strength and determination so far. but this week, against his kinda talent and under this kinda microscope, that hasnt been enough.

right now, he needs time to grow and learn.

patience and pressure....

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Vitto79

I disagree with the one comment about Hagelin likely not getting into a Ranger lineup soon. to me it's easier for a fast defensive winger with some offensive upside to make a NHL lineup. Hagelin could easily replace Feds or Avery next yr because of his style of play.

It will be harder for a guy like Kreider, Thomas and Miller to jump in because NYR staff would likely want them in a top 6 role and looking to next yr 1 spot is likely open. I would imagine Kreider would win that spot if anyone. Especially since he is a LW and Thomas is a RW. Miller needs more time in the minors as he just got drafted.

Also a guy like Bourque will never be a top 6 but again he is a energy player and could easily get call ups as a 4th line Pker. I think if he keeps doing what he's doing he can make it in 2 yrs.

Erixon looks ready now which is exiting. McIlrath likely needs a few more yrs but you know what that is fine given the youth currently on D. Also Parlett looks like he could make some noise in a yr or so.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 07:38 AM
alkurtz

One thing that has impressed me about DM (in truth, I was not happy with the pick at first) is that he seems to have quick and agile feet. I consider this a necessary tool for someone who will be a defense-first defenseman. It will allow him to react quickly, position himself well, and close the gap with opposition forwards.

What I have been looking at in these games is not so much results as tools. Though he has struggled, I have seen enough from DM to think that he will be, at least, a 3rd pair D man in five or so years. He is a true project and diamond in the rough. As much as I still long for Fowler and Gormley, I am feeling more and more comfortable with the gamble the Rangers took here.

As for the captaincy, Ranger player development staff seems to believe strongly in putting players in positions where they can grow, be pushed, and succeed. So much of it seems psychological head games. The logical choice would have been Hagelin, but I think Ranger management was sending DM a strong hint that they believed in him. They were forcing him to grow. From listening to him and watching him on the bench, I think it is, for the most part, working. Perhaps the message is that it is not only standing up for your teammates on the ice that conveys leadership, but how you carry yourself off the ice.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:08 AM
MorrisWanchuk

what this tourney has shown me is that Borque, Erixon, Hagelin, Thomas, Parlett etc. deserve a shot at making the team at big camp. It's hard to evaluate how good they are right now against other prospects. Get them playing in one or two exhibition games and we'll see.

i think the truncated camp because of our europe trip will make it harder for someone like Hagelin to show enough to make the team out of camp. but there's nothing wrong with these guys getting AHL time and coming up in a couple of months.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Ola

I think there is a good chance that McI will look better once the real pre-season starts.

We have watched a pre-season tourney, and the pace has been tremendous and the energy has been tremendous -- but the X's and O's has been completely non-existing. In normal games there will in that sense be more standard situations for a D to play in.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:16 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
patience and pressure. those 2 words will define young mcilrath.

his play so far has been inconsistent and uncertain. this kid obviously cares and certainly seems the part to wear the c. he says the right things when the mic is in his face. he comes off as sincere and well spoken, quiet and humble. he interviews well. by all accounts, he a fine young man.

however, theres alot of pressure on him right now. pressure to perform and pressure to represent. hes got one down and one still needs work.

the important thing with this kid is to give him space. let him develop in moose jaw this year and then in hartford the year after. let him play his game but most importantly- and just like chris kreider, let him learn the game. thats his major issue right now. his decision making and execution are flawed. not because he cant, but because hes not there yet. tim erixon, for the most part, can but hes 2-3 years ahead of dylan in his development curve.

big mac is not instinctive right now. he just isnt. the game comes at him and he reacts rather than letting the game flow and reacting intuitively. thats tells me hes nervous and when you are nervous, everything happens faster and your reaction is to speed up yourself. thats never good. his confidence is lacking but thats expected to some degree against this level of competition.

im sure if we asked him this question..." dylan, have you been in the "zone" at all this week, he would say..."nope". he needs to get there and once he does, with his size and smarts, he could be the guy that we are all expecting him to be.

hes gotten by on size, strength and determination so far. but this week, against his kinda talent and under this kinda microscope, that hasnt been enough.

right now, he needs time to grow and learn.

patience and pressure....
ODC, there are a lot of things that you have written over the years that I have absolutely loved reading, this is one of the BEST I have ever read on this board. Talk about both spot-on and sincere. There need to be more posts like this....

And the great thing is that it neither states he will be great or terrible, it is the truth, somewhere in the middle.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

JT Miller
Our top prospect in the organization. I think that it is likely that JT Miller will become a very solid top 1/2 line center. I see a future center in him who 1) will skate really well, 2) will be strong in all facets of the game and 3) will have decent top end ability. Less in style than in terms of impact, I would like to put him in the Ryan Kessler/Mike Richards mold.
I see a lot of Dubinsky in him, to be honest. Will have to see if he can produce points at a high level but he's a pretty good skater, works hard along the boards (love that he initiates contact there), has some nice hands and willingness to hang onto the puck and try to make things happen.

Quote:
Tim Erixon
Very good player and a very good prospect. He is probably a little better than what McD was at the same time last year, at the same time, the hard part is taking the step to the NHL, keep a high level, and adjust.

If he struggles I think he is the type who would be more exposed than McD in the same situation. Like he is tossed into the NHL and struggles for a couple of weeks, he is the type who could hear it at the garden. For example.

But we shouldn't let that cloud our judgement of him. He has more offensive potential anyone in our current top 4, he has good size, he is not lost infront of his own net or defensively. He could turn out to be a helluva pickup and a important part of our future. No doubt.
I thought he was sometimes hesitant on some defensive plays and a little unsure of his positioning a few times, but that could just be because he's on a smaller ice surface and not familiar with his linemates. Overall, he looked quite good, and I'm impressed with his puck skills in the offensive zone. I agree he could turn out to be an amazing pickup for the Rangers. Didn't see a ton of outlet passing from him that stood out but seems to make the smart play. I doubt he'll hear it from the Garden if he struggles unless it's all season long, they do seem to be fairly easy on rookies

Quote:
Christian Thomas
What a release!

You gotta love it.

I am impressed with how he has improved his speed/quickness over the summer. He had a heck of a season last year and got the finnish the season in AHL. No doubt, he hanged 'em up for the season with a positive feeling, and that has carried him over the summer where he obviously have put in a ton of work. When I first saw him he skated more like St. Croix/McCoulghan in this tourney, he skated well, he could distance himself form D's with good technique. But didn't stand out with his speed. He had definitely added a gear to that engine.

There is absolutely nothing not to like about this kid. All I want to say is that we should keep our expectations in shack.

Why? He aint Pat Kane.

Look at the top 30 in scoring, IE basically the top scoring player on each team, and you see a range from 104 pts to 66 pts. Cheechoo won the Maurice not so long ago, its pretty insane to talk about point totals. But over the course of a career, Thomas does not fit into that range of players. His potential fits alot better among the second pagers, top 31-60. And now the range drops from 50 to 60 pts.

Players like him, who are small and who only really stands out with his sniping as opposed to being a playmaker/creative dynamo like a Kane, they just don't pop 55+ pts that often...
Well I'm not going to compare him to Kane, but after seeing some of his playing, I disagree that he stands out only because of his shot. I was very impressed with some of the passes he made; he identified an open man quickly and made accurate passes to them. His hands are also quite good in general and he doesn't give up if he loses the puck, he fights to get it right back. I don't want to see him dekeing through everyone but he has the hands to hold onto the puck I think.

I agree we shouldn't expect the world out of him but I see potential for a 30-30 guy. I also agree about his speed...after hearing he was shifty but not particularly fast, I was impressed by the top gear he has shown. That should help him tremendously at making the NHL. Just needs to keep working on getting stronger and more experienced.

Quote:
Dylan McIlrath
I like this kid too, but I also worry about him. And I worry more about him after seing him in Traverse than I did after watching a bunch of old WHL games with him this sumer.

And I can understand him.

Like I said instantly when I saw him this sumer, and what suprised me the most all cathegorys when watching a bunch of our kids the first time, thats how underdeveloped he is defensively. I mean, he aint a defensiveminded D at all. But in the WHL, he can function as one.

What have made me actually worrying more about him after seing him in Traverse -- thats how frustrated this have made him, and how much it have thrown him off balance.

And in a sense I can understand that. Realistically -- and this will be a important issue to follow! -- he could end up, in a offensive situation, as a 4th/5th D on his team. Thats just not good for him. Just like Kreider who also ended up in a smaller role. Like I wouldn't be worried for him if I knew he was going to end up playing 35+ minutes a night in the WHL. But if he becomes like the Colin White of his team every time they trail on the scoreboard/gets alot of PP's -- thats not what he needs.

The thing is, with his reach and strengths, skating, he can cheat in the WHL. It doesn't push him much to kill off a PK. What he does need is to grow in to the body and the pro-game. Become comfortable on the ice. There is a ocean between like Erixon and McI in these aspects. In subsequent shifts, McI and Erixon ended up in simular situations last night. Erixon first got to retrive a bouncing puck along the boards. TE skated to the boards, got to the puck, then froze (not looking up, not turning his head). A forechecker hunted him down, and as the forechecker made contact with him, Erixon reverted the puck to his D partner with a backhand, went up against the boards and took the hit making the forechecker fall on his but. McI retrieved the puck in the same situation, tried to turn up and bounced against a forechecker. The puck went bouncing out of controll -- but McI took the impact better than the forchecker and could pick it up. Now he went up the boards trying to transport the puck up ice, and ran into patrol. And than looked up and shot the puck off the boards out of the zone.

Its not about making misstakes or not. Its the thought process that is very raw on McI.

With this said, I do like him. We should only look for players that can make a impact. What type of impact are we looking for than? We are definitely setting up this group for a cup run. Let me tell you this, far from any kid are suited for that role early in their careers. We have the core of hard working 2-way guys, we don't need to build on that. Having a physical monster, that could help us for sure though. Brute force has a impact come may. Look at Lucic and "Buff". At Rod Brind'Amour.

But he is in no position to struggle in his development. The kid needs to get on track.
Agree a fair amount...like I've said before, you can see the tools and the reason the Rangers wanted to draft him. If it all came together, he could be a very valuable defenseman, but he has so much growing left to do (both physically and mentally). Gotta work on decision making and identifying the play, etc. It's all stuff I think can come with time, but he's needs some good coaching and for everyone to be patient with him.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Garv23

From what I've seen, though there's been some great play, the only player that looks NHL ready to me is Tim Erixon.

And I'm definitely not down on McIlrath. I like what he brings obviously in the size/physical dept. and he's quite mobile for a big dude. Still needs work though.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:33 AM
NYR Viper

I think the one main difference between a player like Miller and a player like Dubinsky (at the same age) was that Dubinsky had not grown yet and was not considered even a "good" skater. Miller is already a good skater and has already grown, which means he will have more time to learn how to use his body and grow into it.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:42 AM
alkurtz

I think the best template to look at for what kind of player Thomas will be is to look at this father: same basic body type, same basic skill set. No reason to think he can't have similar success.

Though not an elite talent, ST had the talent and skill set to play on the first line with linemates who did have near top end talent. When not playing on the top line, he was an offensive winger on the second line.

I don't know whether CT will ever put up the numbers that his father did (Steve played in a more offensive era for sure), but in his prime I can easily see him as a consistent 30 goal scorer with a career best of 35-40, and many years off 25-30.

What we don't know is whether CT has the drive and work ethic needed to succeed. From all I've read, he does.

Its been interesting watching all the sons of NHLers in the tournament: Bourque, Beukeboom, Lowe (I know I'm missing some off of the top of my head). In each case, the son doesn't project to be as good as his father was, or is different physically or in tools. Not in CT's case however. Knowing the success his father had with similar abilities gives me great confidence that CT will make it.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:49 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

I've been high on Bourque for a while now, and nobody has really given him a shot at making the club. I think that HAS to be changing now, no?

He looks a lot better than Carl Hagelin, from what I've seen. I'm not sure why people like Hagelin so much.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:16 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Its been interesting watching all the sons of NHLers in the tournament: Bourque, Beukeboom, Lowe (I know I'm missing some off of the top of my head).

Erixon

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:24 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
Erixon
Thomas, McRae.

09-14-2011, 09:27 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Thomas, McRae.
Isn't Sutter in this tournament?

Old
09-14-2011, 09:40 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

JT Miller
Tim Erixon
Christian Thomas
Dylan McIlrath
Ryan Bourque
Carl Hagelin
Michael St. Croix & McColololologhan
Noreau, Tommy Grant and co
I think you were spot on with most of your analysis, Ola. The one player I think you left out (maybe because he didn't play yesterday?) who was deserving of his own discussion was Yogan. I was EXTREMELY impressed with what I saw from him.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:16 AM
alkurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
Erixon
Duh, how stupid of me. Also, Sutter

Old
09-14-2011, 10:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Isn't Sutter in this tournament?
There's always a Sutter somewhere.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:58 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
What I have been looking at in these games is not so much results as tools. Though he has struggled, I have seen enough from DM to think that he will be, at least, a 3rd pair D man in five or so years. He is a true project and diamond in the rough. As much as I still long for Fowler and Gormley, I am feeling more and more comfortable with the gamble the Rangers took here.
That's what I see from him, too: a third pair defenseman. I, however, am hardly fine with that. It's what I expected when he was drafted, and that expectation hasn't changed, unfortunately. You don't take third pairing defensemen with the tenth pick in the draft.

You want to talk about looking for tools? These three games, he has simply reinforced what was already clear from his junior play. He's missing the most important tool of all: brainpower. The kid has no sense of gap control. Talented puckhandlers can blow by him or walk around him several times a game with ease because he doesn't understand where he needs to be located in relation to them in order to be able to successfully eliminate the possibility of their advancement. His physical gifts allow him to carry the puck in transition, but he has no idea what to do with it once he arrives in the zone. Several times in this tourney, he's gained the zone and lost the puck almost immediately. So not only is that an offensive zone turnover, a wasted offensive zone opportunity, but now the other team has an odd man rush against with one of your defensemen stuck up ice. Bonehead play.

These are the same issues that plagued his game 2 years ago. There has been hardly any progress on that front, and why would there be? He continues to rely heavily on his size advantage when playing junior hockey rather than developing a skillset.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
That's what I see from him, too: a third pair defenseman. I, however, am hardly fine with that. It's what I expected when he was drafted, and that expectation hasn't changed, unfortunately. You don't take third pairing defensemen with the tenth pick in the draft.

You want to talk about looking for tools? These three games, he has simply reinforced what was already clear from his junior play. He's missing the most important tool of all: brainpower. The kid has no sense of gap control. Talented puckhandlers can blow by him or walk around him several times a game with ease because he doesn't understand where he needs to be located in relation to them in order to be able to successfully eliminate the possibility of their advancement. His physical gifts allow him to carry the puck in transition, but he has no idea what to do with it once he arrives in the zone. Several times in this tourney, he's gained the zone and lost the puck almost immediately. So not only is that an offensive zone turnover, a wasted offensive zone opportunity, but now the other team has an odd man rush against with one of your defensemen stuck up ice. Bonehead play.

These are the same issues that plagued his game 2 years ago. There has been hardly any progress on that front, and why would there be? He continues to rely heavily on his size advantage when playing junior hockey rather than developing a skillset.
Its still relatively early in his development, but this is what I see as well. Most of the MSG fans are gonna love the guy cause he'll be a big bruising force on the back-end.

I just cant envision him logging 25 minutes a night, or being trustworthy enough to play beyond the 3rd pair. But hey, things can change.

Just not what you want from a top 10 overall draft pick.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:26 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
ODC, there are a lot of things that you have written over the years that I have absolutely loved reading, this is one of the BEST I have ever read on this board. Talk about both spot-on and sincere. There need to be more posts like this....

And the great thing is that it neither states he will be great or terrible, it is the truth, somewhere in the middle.

hey thanks for the kind words bro.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:33 AM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I think you were spot on with most of your analysis, Ola. The one player I think you left out (maybe because he didn't play yesterday?) who was deserving of his own discussion was Yogan. I was EXTREMELY impressed with what I saw from him.
Hes not hurt, is he? He went into the boards hard, but he got right up. If anyone has any info I would appreciate it, he has been one of my favorite players in the tournament. Thanks guys.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Dylan looks very, very raw to me. Almost too raw.

Erixon is an interesting prospect. Very clever. Knows where his peers are on the ice. Knows how to create separation from an attacker. Creative with the puck. He's the one prospect that has actually surpassed my expectations. Very excited about him.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote