HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

No more excuses for Ron Wilson

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-14-2011, 10:12 AM
  #51
81Leafs50
Registered User
 
81Leafs50's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 913
vCash: 500
Burke cares nothing for Wilson.

Burke wants to win and would anything to make it happen.

The fact that Wilson does not have a new contract speaks volumes in respect to Wilson.

Wilson will be let go before game 20 if the Leafs come out of the gate slow.

That is how you know Burke doesnt give 2 ***** about Wilson.

The fact the he hired a former NHL head coach as an assistant as backup in case Wilson has to be let go proves this.


Last edited by ULF_55: 09-14-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Keep it respectable.
81Leafs50 is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 10:16 AM
  #52
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
I can only speak for myself, but my views of Ron Wilson's coaching ability didn't change during that winning streak, regardless of where the thread was. He should have been fired two years ago.
When Wilson coached the Leafs to a 29th place finish, 30th on both specialty teams he should have been released immediately for that poor performance.

He was handed Kessel and his 30 goals, Komisarek and Beauchemin as nearly $15 mil in Cap combined immediate impact. Prior to the trade dealine for 20+ games (1/4 season) he had Phaneuf and Giguere another $12 mil (but prorated) in talent influx.

To lead the team to the 2nd worst record in the league despite all the additions was inexcusable.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 10:17 AM
  #53
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,890
vCash: 500
I think Burke has been quite Transparent regarding Ron Wilson.

- If the Leafs have a bad start, Wilson will be fired
- If the Leafs play well but miss the playoffs by a marginal amount, Wilson will not be extended
- If the Leafs make the playoffs, Wilson will be offered an extension.

This is definitely his last chance though. Burke has done everything possible short of firing the head coach to improve this team.

Rinzler is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 10:52 AM
  #54
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,431
vCash: 500
The players have been changed, the assistant coaches swapped out.

The only thing standing between Burke and his own demise now, with further poor team results is his pal Wilson. Its the final buffer left and last card to play before all the attention will be focused on the GM by ownership.

This is therefore a big year for both Burke and Wilson and accountability for the results lies squarely on their shoulders. Failure is not an option without consequences. IMO

Mess is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 11:02 AM
  #55
Edgeworth*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,847
vCash: 500
If the goaltending doesn't collapse then it falls on Ronnie.

If our team underperforms then how can you blame Wilson? They've shown they have the ability to be playoff contenders, don't blame the coach cause players became complacent.

Edgeworth* is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 11:10 AM
  #56
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
This is therefore a big year for both Burke and Wilson and accountability for the results lies squarely on their shoulders. Failure is not an option without consequences. IMO
As always Mess, the definition of results, does not lie squarely on the shoulders of a bunch of posters on HF Boards. Surely the Big Blue Machine has more intricate goals than Playoffs or Bust.

Tell me this, is this season a failure if Kadri, Colborne, Gardiner or Frattin earn full time NHL jobs, and the team misses the playoffs by a point? Or does "play the kids" fall on deaf ears and blind eyes at that point?

smoke meat pete* is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 11:18 AM
  #57
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK
 
therealkoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: the Prior
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
HANTA YO!


How many weeks in do we get in before the "Fire Wilson" thread is bumped?
The timing in adding the extra Leafs Mods was not coincidental, those poor guys will be so busy deleting them if the Leafs lose two in a row they'll all need vacations by Xmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrKO28 View Post
he had a top team in SJ, and failed in the playoffs.

take a look a Nabokovs numbers in the playoffs, they aint pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I've been saying and believing its "Playoffs or Bust" for Wilson this season.
As of the end of November if the Leafs have less then 24 of the 50 points that were available I would think RW will hand in his rink pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Really? I thought most people didn't like him for his lousy record coaching the Leafs. Or for his confrontational personality...or for his inability to accept responsibility for failure or for his constant "calling out" players in the media or for his wonderful dispostion or for his snarky, condescending comments to the media or for his lousy special teams or for his............
Confrontational? Do smarmy reporters who think they have a better handle on the NHL then does an NHL coach deserve anything resembling respect. Think Torts and Larry Brooks, great entertainment just like RW and Howard. A reporters job is to report not to tell a coach how to do his job.

Calling out players? This is the one that makes me really laugh of all the stuff fomented by the press.

You've practiced something a million times gone over the idea of it in meetings a million more and when it comes to crunch in the game you still do the wrong thing. who should he call out?

The same thing goes with Naz(and I truly believe this kid can be great), the kid was lollygagging getting back, on the wrong wing in some cases, making blind passes, the press and LeafsNation were singing his praises what was he supposed to say? That Nazem Kadri was a polished NHL player and ready to dominate. Hardly, he told the truth and said his game needed work, which we all know it did and maybe still does!

RW also hands out the praise publicly when it's deserved so it's not the one way street the media preaches it to be.

Special Teams??? Funny enough when he had the players in San Jose and Washington his special teams were pretty effective. while I agree that ultimately it's the coaches responsibilty to isolate the weakness of his players and coach to the strength of those players.

It also has lots to do with how your talent meshes and handles their individual responsibilties. I really sometimes hated seeing Kabs out on the PP because he just didn't fit the schemes that they were looking to enact.

The Leaf PP with the same players minus Kabs was pretty decent for the final 30 or so games. Nevertheless they still stunk and the guys that handled special teams for the last 3 years are now gone.

Nobody is satisfied with whats been happening here in the last 4 decades, let alone the last 4 years. Al Arbour couldn't have turned around the team that RW inherited and Scotty would've taken one look at the roster and said no thanks. RW cleaned out the locker room and brought a little bit of Imlach back to the Leafs, whom as I recall the press absolutely hated as did most of Toronto and thats when he was winning. Imlach also called a spade a spade and like RW only when it was a spade, if the team starts winning this year all his snarkiness won't matter a hill of beans.

It's a new day coming Friday

therealkoho is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 11:44 AM
  #58
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
This fanbase has an excuse for everything...it becomes nauseating after a while...Good coaches don't neccessarily need great players to show they are good coaches. Good coaches much like good managers tend to get the most out of what is presented to them. Nobody expected Wilson to have Championship rings with the personnel he has been given but seriously can we see some progress on this damn team and stop with the excuses? Can we see some marginal improvements? I guess last year's 10th place finish was some improvement, so this is clearly the direction we want to be going in.

Whats Ronnie's excuse this year if he fails?

Someone along the line has to bear responsibility. If you believe the personnel sucks and the coach has nothing to work with...blame the GM. If you love the GM and his work, shouldn't we expect to see it on the ice at some point? If the players don't like the coach because of his style and therefore don't perform to the best of their abilities, its still the coaches' fault.

Classic example are last years Devils...horrible under MacLean and heading for the 1st overall pick, same personnel under Lemaire, best record in hockey. How does that work?

I love this season because somebody on the management team will have to face the freaking music. Gone are days of entitlement and laize-fair play due to the "blue and white disease" Gone are all the horrible don't care players like Stajan, Blake and Ponikorovsky..Gone are the horrible goaltenders like Toskala and Giguere...The team is clearly that of the GM and the coach can't cry about the poor personnel.

Either Burke or Wilson will have to answer to the masses if the Leafs regress this season. Maybe both.

hockeyfanz is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 11:49 AM
  #59
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
We'll know soon enough. Leave the character assassination of Wilson and everyone who knows that he is a good coach alone for a while, huh?

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 11:58 AM
  #60
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
can we see some progress on this damn team and stop with the excuses? Can we see some marginal improvements?
If you want to use the final standings as the only marker for progress or improvement, that is your perogative. Some people have set other markers as progress/improvement. I personally have seen several areas of progress and/or improvement. And it is my belief that those areas will lead to progress in the standings soon. Maybe not this year, but soon.

smoke meat pete* is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 12:00 PM
  #61
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
As always Mess, the definition of results, does not lie squarely on the shoulders of a bunch of posters on HF Boards. Surely the Big Blue Machine has more intricate goals than Playoffs or Bust.

Tell me this, is this season a failure if Kadri, Colborne, Gardiner or Frattin earn full time NHL jobs, and the team misses the playoffs by a point? Or does "play the kids" fall on deaf ears and blind eyes at that point?
The reason Burke claims, there is only 1 roster spot available for youth to fight over, with all vets hands on deck, clearly demonstrating that team results are of the most importance presently on their agenda as the pressure is mounting from Ownership and fans alike to produce better (playoff) results.

JM Liles ($4.2 mil), Connolly ($4.75 mil), Lombardi ($3.5 mil), Franson ($800k), Dupius ($650k) = ~ $14 mil in experienced NHL reinforcements brought in over the off-season to improve on last years team results. Or as Burke stated last week "he’s optimistic that the team can make up eight points in the standings." ,“We think there’s a couple of catchable teams,” he said. “.

Play the kids" is only a pipe dream of mine of how I would like to see the team built, believing its in the best interest of the teams ** FUTURE **. However, with three consecutive bottom 10 league finishes already permanently engraved in stone on the GM and Coach's resumes as undesirables, as per their track record, there is little wiggle room now to allow for on the job training of unproven youth.

If and when we see (this season) as you suggest "Kadri, Colborne, Gardiner or Frattin earn full time NHL jobs", then one of two things has occurred;

1) The season is a write off again in the standings and Wilson has already been fired.
or
2) The Leafs have been ravished by injuries and Marlie reinforcements have been summoned to fill in.

You seemed to keep getting confused & hung up on with what Burke is going in real life, verses my HF posted wishes/opinions as per the teams direction and course going forward. Separating fact from fiction, and reality from fantasy is an important point to recognize that only what Burke actually does is what ultimately matters, and the results of the team his accountability to answer to.


Last edited by Mess: 09-14-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Mess is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 12:01 PM
  #62
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
We'll know soon enough. Leave the character assassination of Wilson and everyone who knows that he is a good coach alone for a while, huh?
Should we just take your word for it then? Maybe Burke should have extended his contract for 5 years over the summer instead of making him a lame duck coach then. Where is the evidence that he is a good coach? I'm talking about his days with the Leafs...not some faraway time where he was the coach of the uber-talented SJ Sharks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
If you want to use the final standings as the only marker for progress or improvement, that is your perogative. Some people have set other markers as progress/improvement. I personally have seen several areas of progress and/or improvement. And it is my belief that those areas will lead to progress in the standings soon. Maybe not this year, but soon.
What a great business this hockey world is...How do I get in on the action....

"I know boss, I promise tomorrow will be better, I don't neccessarily mean tomorrow literally, but figuratively...you will see results soon. I'm not sure when.....but soon...I guarantee it"

hockeyfanz is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 12:09 PM
  #63
dirk41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,260
vCash: 500
I wish the excuses not only for Ron Wilson but also for Brian Burke would end. But every new season is "Year Zero" with this fan base.

dirk41 is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 12:17 PM
  #64
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
What a great business this hockey world is...How do I get in on the action....

"I know boss, I promise tomorrow will be better, I don't neccessarily mean tomorrow literally, but figuratively...you will see results soon. I'm not sure when.....but soon...I guarantee it"
Boss: Now, I want it done now. Why isn't the house built today?

Manager: We just bought the property yesterday.

Boss: Now Dammit. I want it done now.

If you are unable to plan for the long term, and accept some pitfalls early, I suggest you watch poker, where the hand you have now has no effect on the hand you will be dealt tommorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The reason Burke claims, there is only 1 roster spot available for youth to fight over, with all vets hands on deck, clearly demonstrating that team results are of the most importance presently on their agenda as the pressure is mounting from Ownership and fans alike to produce better (playoff) results.

JM Liles ($4.2 mil), Connolly ($4.75 mil), Lombardi ($3.5 mil), Franson ($800k), Dupius ($650k) = ~ $14 mil in experienced NHL reinforcements brought in over the off-season to improve on last years team results. Or as Burke stated last week "he’s optimistic that the team can make up eight points in the standings." ,“We think there’s a couple of catchable teams,” he said. “.

Play the kids" is only a pipe dream of mine of how I would like to see the team built, believing its in the best interest of the teams ** FUTURE **. However, with three consecutive bottom 10 league finishes already permanently engraved in stone on the GM and Coach's resumes as undesirables, as per their track record, there is little wiggle room now to allow for on the job training of unproven youth.

If and when we see (this season) as you suggest "Kadri, Colborne, Gardiner or Frattin earn full time NHL jobs", then one of two things has occurred;

1) The season is a write off again in the standings and Wilson has already been fired.
or
2) The Leafs have been ravished by injuries and Marlie reinforcements have been summoned to fill in.

You seemed to keep getting confused & hung up on with what Burke is going in real life, verses my HF posted wishes/opinions as per the teams direction and course going forward. Separating fact from fiction, and reality from fantasy is an important point to recognize that only what Burke actually does is what ultimately matters, and the results of the team his accountability to answer to.
You've been speculating for years that Burke would move young prospects for aging vets in order to make the playoffs for years. You have had no grasp on the reality of what Burke is building and yet you continue to want us to believe "playoffs or bust" is MLSE's philosophy. I thought that was already proven incorrect when Peddy himself let us know there was no playoff revenue in the budget last year.

smoke meat pete* is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 12:21 PM
  #65
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Should we just take your word for it then? Maybe Burke should have extended his contract for 5 years over the summer instead of making him a lame duck coach then. Where is the evidence that he is a good coach? I'm talking about his days with the Leafs...not some faraway time where he was the coach of the uber-talented SJ Sharks.
Uber-talented, huh? This lineup:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000442004.html

ended up with 104 points.

I have seen Ron Wilson develop many players for the Sharks because of living in that area plus the Leafs and many players have their best seasons ever with him as the coach. Burke knows that he hasn't given his coach a stable lineup since he got to Toronto and that is why he is still around.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 12:42 PM
  #66
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
This fanbase has an excuse for everything...it becomes nauseating after a while...
It's these type of sentences that get under my skin, and make me want to call you out.

It's fine if you wish to hate what Burke and RW that is fine. But generalized bashing of fans is nauseating in itself.

smoke meat pete* is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 12:46 PM
  #67
Sypher04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
You're all assuming Wilson even wants an extension. I don't consider that a given.

Sypher04 is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 01:28 PM
  #68
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
If you want to use the final standings as the only marker for progress or improvement, that is your perogative. Some people have set other markers as progress/improvement. I personally have seen several areas of progress and/or improvement. And it is my belief that those areas will lead to progress in the standings soon. Maybe not this year, but soon.
I think the team as at the point where you have to see improvement in the standings. I don't know why as a fan I should accept another playoff miss this season.

Suntouchable13 is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 01:38 PM
  #69
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
This fanbase has an excuse for everything...it becomes nauseating after a while...Good coaches don't neccessarily need great players to show they are good coaches. Good coaches much like good managers tend to get the most out of what is presented to them. Nobody expected Wilson to have Championship rings with the personnel he has been given but seriously can we see some progress on this damn team and stop with the excuses? Can we see some marginal improvements? I guess last year's 10th place finish was some improvement, so this is clearly the direction we want to be going in.

Whats Ronnie's excuse this year if he fails?

Someone along the line has to bear responsibility. If you believe the personnel sucks and the coach has nothing to work with...blame the GM. If you love the GM and his work, shouldn't we expect to see it on the ice at some point? If the players don't like the coach because of his style and therefore don't perform to the best of their abilities, its still the coaches' fault.

Classic example are last years Devils...horrible under MacLean and heading for the 1st overall pick, same personnel under Lemaire, best record in hockey. How does that work?

I love this season because somebody on the management team will have to face the freaking music. Gone are days of entitlement and laize-fair play due to the "blue and white disease" Gone are all the horrible don't care players like Stajan, Blake and Ponikorovsky..Gone are the horrible goaltenders like Toskala and Giguere...The team is clearly that of the GM and the coach can't cry about the poor personnel.

Either Burke or Wilson will have to answer to the masses if the Leafs regress this season. Maybe both.
Is the negative tanker attitude any less nauseating?

Rinzler is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 01:48 PM
  #70
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The reason Burke claims, there is only 1 roster spot available for youth to fight over, with all vets hands on deck, clearly demonstrating that team results are of the most importance presently on their agenda as the pressure is mounting from Ownership and fans alike to produce better (playoff) results.

JM Liles ($4.2 mil), Connolly ($4.75 mil), Lombardi ($3.5 mil), Franson ($800k), Dupius ($650k) = ~ $14 mil in experienced NHL reinforcements brought in over the off-season to improve on last years team results. Or as Burke stated last week "he’s optimistic that the team can make up eight points in the standings." ,“We think there’s a couple of catchable teams,” he said. “.

Play the kids" is only a pipe dream of mine of how I would like to see the team built, believing its in the best interest of the teams ** FUTURE **. However, with three consecutive bottom 10 league finishes already permanently engraved in stone on the GM and Coach's resumes as undesirables, as per their track record, there is little wiggle room now to allow for on the job training of unproven youth.

If and when we see (this season) as you suggest "Kadri, Colborne, Gardiner or Frattin earn full time NHL jobs", then one of two things has occurred;

1) The season is a write off again in the standings and Wilson has already been fired.
or
2) The Leafs have been ravished by injuries and Marlie reinforcements have been summoned to fill in.

You seemed to keep getting confused & hung up on with what Burke is going in real life, verses my HF posted wishes/opinions as per the teams direction and course going forward. Separating fact from fiction, and reality from fantasy is an important point to recognize that only what Burke actually does is what ultimately matters, and the results of the team his accountability to answer to.
Quote:
PENTICTON, B.C. — As the new sheriff in town for the Calgary Flames, Jay Feaster wants everyone to know the new rules of engagement.

From here on in, Scotiabank Saddledome is officially a meritocracy — a place of employment where jobs and promotions are awarded based on performance.

Forget contract status. Forget reputation. Forget pre-ordained privilege.

“I don’t know how to do it any other way than based on merit,” Feaster, the Flames’ GM, said Tuesday in between meetings at the Young Stars Tournament. “I’ve never believed in doing it by the draft pick you were selected with or how much money they pay you or how pretty you are or handsome you are.

“I don’t know any other way.”
Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...#ixzz1XxCiyzYe

Makes you wonder if some Europeans stayed in Russia because of ...

Quote:
In the biggest disappointment of this summer for the Flames, former first-rounder Tim Erixon refused to sign in Calgary. Via his agent, Erixon told the Flames he doubted he would actually get the chance to play in the NHL if he stuck around.

As a result, the Flames reluctantly dealt the promising Swedish rearguard to the New York Rangers.

“We’re not going to erect barriers for guys who deserve to make this hockey club,” Feaster pledged. “This is the way we’re going to do things. We’re going to earn our way.
Would Vorobiev have shown more interest when he was tearing up the RSL?

Who knows, but Flames got burned because of the entitlement in Calgary.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 01:56 PM
  #71
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Uber-talented, huh? This lineup:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000442004.html

ended up with 104 points.

I have seen Ron Wilson develop many players for the Sharks because of living in that area plus the Leafs and many players have their best seasons ever with him as the coach. Burke knows that he hasn't given his coach a stable lineup since he got to Toronto and that is why he is still around.
Well, that Sharks team looked pretty good on paper compared to the Leaf team. Not sure what your point is...On one hand you are telling me Wilson can work magic with a less than talented roster but he hasn't been able to work any magic with the Leafs because of the less than talented roster.

You like Wilson, that is your perogative. I don't and I am not alone in Leafland with this sentiment. I guess this is the year eh? Simply put the title of the thread from a guy I really don't care for (Damien Cox) "No More Excuses For Ron Wilson".....I don't like him but I agree with what he is saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
It's these type of sentences that get under my skin, and make me want to call you out.

It's fine if you wish to hate what Burke and RW that is fine. But generalized bashing of fans is nauseating in itself.
Well the "generalized bashing of the fans" shouldn't bother you if you are not implicated by what I am referring to. It only gets under your skin because it rings true to you. That is the honest truth. I can't very well list the names of all the posters who constantly make excuses for poor teams, poor acquistions, poor coaches, lousy special teams, bottom 10 finishes etc....After all I too am part of the fanbase..part of Leafs Nation.

Simply put if you are not always excusing the franchise for anything perceived as a negative critique then I'm obviously not talking about you. For a guy whose universe is black and white, this should come easy...no?

hockeyfanz is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 02:06 PM
  #72
Volcanologist
Habitual User
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,299
vCash: 500
I think Burke realizes he hasn't gifted Wilson with a roster worthy of a "no more excuses" type ultimatum. Have the Leafs really underachieved in recent years given their talent level? I'm not really sure we can say they have, other than perhaps the mystifying PK. Even now, Wilson doesn't have a legit top line and he still doesn't have a proven good starter(or even backup, for that matter). So that is why he's still here -- the assistants being fired was Burke's acknowledgement of the coaching staff's portion of the blame.

The other aspect to this is that by retaining the Wilson bullet, Burke's got another "big move" he can make in case, as is quite likely to be the case, he is unable to add more of the type of talent the team needs in the next 12 months. This way, he can still pull out the "young developing team that now has the coach it needs" card should the Leafs fare poorly again this season.

Volcanologist is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 02:08 PM
  #73
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Well, that Sharks team looked pretty good on paper compared to the Leaf team. Not sure what your point is...On one hand you are telling me Wilson can work magic with a less than talented roster but he hasn't been able to work any magic with the Leafs because of the less than talented roster.

You like Wilson, that is your perogative. I don't and I am not alone in Leafland with this sentiment. I guess this is the year eh? Simply put the title of the thread from a guy I really don't care for (Damien Cox) "No More Excuses For Ron Wilson".....I don't like him but I agree with what he is saying.
All I was doing was disproving your assertion that the only way that Ron Wilson could accomplish anything was with a supremely talented roster.

I agree with Cox' premise, it is obvious and isn't anything that Burke didn't tell us a long time ago. The unfortunate thing is that it motivated you to make a string of personal attacks against anyone who likes Wilson which is bizarre because you know absolutely nothing about what happens at camp, at practices, and in the dressing room.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 02:09 PM
  #74
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apb03 View Post
Is the negative tanker attitude any less nauseating?
What does that even mean? Are you referring to those who would like to finish lower in the standings to maximize the rewards of the draft? That is a simply a theory on how to obtain high end talent....and hard to argue with...considering where the majority of high end talent comes from.

If the winner of the most beautiful woman in the world comes from Sweden 7 out of 10 times...I think its pretty safe to assume you can and will find beautiful women in Sweden. Doesn't mean by extension that there are no beautiful women in other parts of the world. Does it?

Edit: Important distinction...it also doesn't mean that every woman in Sweden is beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
All I was doing was disproving your assertion that the only way that Ron Wilson could accomplish anything was with a supremely talented roster.

I agree with Cox' premise, it is obvious and isn't anything that Burke didn't tell us a long time ago. The unfortunate thing is that it motivated you to make a string of personal attacks against anyone who likes Wilson which is bizarre because you know absolutely nothing about what happens at camp, at practices, and in the dressing room.
Can you please show me where I did that? The only attacks I have made have been on Wilson himself and not on "anyone who likes him"

This is largely where the disconnect happens on these boards. Because we have opposing views on the coach or a certain player, it doesn't mean I have a bone to pick with the poster. You are entitled to your own views....even if they are wrong.

hockeyfanz is offline  
Old
09-14-2011, 02:28 PM
  #75
Deebo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
"Play the kids" is only a pipe dream of mine of how I would like to see the team built, believing its in the best interest of the teams ** FUTURE **.
I think this right here is where the disagreement really stems from. What we actually think is better for the future of the team. You seem to believe that a sink or swim mentality is the best way to develop a prospect. Throw them right in, and if they fail, there is nowhere to put them because we have no NHL level talent.

Those who disagree think that if there are areas that younger players need to work on before they are ready for the NHL, it's beneficial to have veterans so the prospects have the proper environment to develop. The young talent we have aren't at the level of Hall, Tavares or Duchene so there's a good chance that they do need some seasoning in the minors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

If and when we see (this season) as you suggest "Kadri, Colborne, Gardiner or Frattin earn full time NHL jobs", then one of two things has occurred;

1) The season is a write off again in the standings and Wilson has already been fired.
or
2) The Leafs have been ravished by injuries and Marlie reinforcements have been summoned to fill in.
I thought we were talking about the ** FUTURE **, not next season. To me proper player development is more important than next year, which we all know will not be a championship season.

If you are only thinking about the future, then what is the rush for these unproven players to get into the league?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
You seemed to keep getting confused & hung up on with what Burke is going in real life, verses my HF posted wishes/opinions as per the teams direction and course going forward. Separating fact from fiction, and reality from fantasy is an important point to recognize that only what Burke actually does is what ultimately matters, and the results of the team his accountability to answer to.
I think you are confusing a few sound bites for public consumption to what is actually happening with the team. Virtually every trade that has been made has brought in young talent and we are among the youngest teams in the leauge. This team is clearly being built with the future in mind while you continue to say "play the kids!!!!" whether or not they are ready.

Deebo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.