HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Edmonton Capitals NABL Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-14-2011, 11:44 AM
  #176
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
You missed my point.

Why the hell would I go on a rant about the Blue Jays as a result of my team having a tough year? Who gives a rats ass if the Blue Jays have won a few more games?

The point is, you and others like you, are Blue Jays fans because of the excessive TV coverage. You have been served up the koolaid all your life and you have taken a big drink. Enjoy being herded like a sheep.

I have no problem with someone being a fan of a distant team. The only issue I am presenting is how so many people are manipulated by CBC, CTV, TSN and SN to be Blue Jays fans. I refuse to be manipulated. Why would I be a fan of some random team 3,000km away? Just because the Toronto media says I should? No thanks. You can keep your team.
For the first 20 years of my life I lived in the countryside and didn't have access to TSN and Sportsnet. So I defintiely wasn't influenced by the Kool-aid.

Are you really saying you choose to be a Mariners fan because they are so close to you? If not then why don't you tell us your heroic story of not drinking the kool-aid. My guess is you became a fan of them when they had a solid team of players in Edgar and Tino Martinez, The Big Unit, Jay Buhner, a young A Rod, Griffey, Dan Wilson, Joey Cora and the rest of theit solid pitching staff. These days with this thing called internet, it's pretty easy to be a fan of whatever sports team you want. Hell you could be a hard core soccer fan and cheer for teams over in Europe.

Really your argument is just silly.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:28 PM
  #177
AHF
Registered User
 
AHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to AHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Why would I be a fan of some random team 3,000km away? Just because the Toronto media says I should? No thanks. You can keep your team.
First off, the Blue Jays are not some random team. You wanna talk random? Try the Pittsburgh Pirates or the Milwaukee Brewers.

Secondly, your 'sheep' assesment is way out to lunch. By your logic, we should all be Leaf fans, no? I hate the Leafs, hate the Argonauts, don't give a rats arse about the Raptors or Toronto FC, don't care for the Rock...

...but I like the Jays.

Media has nothing to do with it. You can hate the Jays all you want, but don't try to force-feed your crazy theories down our throats.

Out of curiosity though, if you're an NFL fan, who's your favorite team?

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 01:17 PM
  #178
dookers9
Registered User
 
dookers9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Sakic View Post
oh it was a beautiful game. good exciting game and the crowd was great.
loved when people were throwing stuff on the field because that ump deserved it.
all in all a great night. people that are not going to caps games are really missing out.
and ogopogo are you freaking kidding me!?. people being brainwashed by the media to cheer for the blue jays!? haha. maybe the canadian media is paying extra attention to the blue jays because the're the only canadian team? how much attention does american media pay to the blue jays? almost none, why? because they're not american so they don't give a **** so why should we give a **** about american teams?
you're probably one of those nutcases that think western canada should separate from the rest of canada.
haha but have fun cheering for your beloved mariners.
Was at game 2 on Friday night. Lots of fun, though it's clear that the product is kinda iffy at times. Particularly in the fielding. It was nice to see a solid turnout.

As for the 2nd bolded part, I'm sure this will suffice: It's great to have folks in the stands that encourage idiots like that to engage in their brain dead activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
First off, the Blue Jays are not some random team. You wanna talk random? Try the Pittsburgh Pirates or the Milwaukee Brewers.

Secondly, your 'sheep' assesment is way out to lunch. By your logic, we should all be Leaf fans, no? I hate the Leafs, hate the Argonauts, don't give a rats arse about the Raptors or Toronto FC, don't care for the Rock...

...but I like the Jays.

Media has nothing to do with it. You can hate the Jays all you want, but don't try to force-feed your crazy theories down our throats.

Out of curiosity though, if you're an NFL fan, who's your favorite team?
As for the Blue Jays, I dunno 'bout "brainwashed", but there's no doubt that the more exposure there is to one particular team, the more inclined you are to follow them. You learn names, you catch the way they're trending as they're the lead off story on TSN or SN, etc. Of course it's going to influence how many fans they have.

Let's be real: Poll baseball fans in Canada and, largely on the basis of the label of "Canada's Team", you'll find the vast majority to identify the Jays as their top squad. Don't believe me, then ask yourself why there are so few Brewers fans walking our fair streets than those that cheer for Toronto.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, per se, but simply a reality that it's no coincidence that Canadian baseball fans find themselves rooting for the sole Canadian franchise in what is essentially an American league. I don't know that there's any shame in confessing an allegiance to the Jays on this basis.

Hell - I became a Packers fan at the age of 5 thanks to their colour scheme matching the Eskimos'. Trust me, it wasn't because I could identify somehow with Lynn Dickey, their QB at the time. I became a Royals fan in elementary school just because my buddy, a huge Yankees fan at the time, made fun of them while we were watching a random game... I responded by picking KC as my team to follow to spite this buddy, and can proudly say I cheered loud and proud AGAINST the Jays in the '85 ALCS as George Brett and Bret Sabrehagen ousted them and went on to beat (notoriously) the Cards in the WS.

BTW, guess who was oh, so on board with the Jays during their 2 years of domination? Your's truly. Because it was fun, and not surprisingly, because the rest of the nation was.

Point of the ramble: in Canada, we're exposed to the Jays more than any other team. For the most part, exposure equals an affiliation/allegiance to said team. It doesn't take much to trigger an interest in a particular squad - whether it be news broadcasts, team colours, or an episode of spite - but there should be no reason to deny whatever root it is.

So, if you're a Jays fan living north of the 49th, accept that it's likely not on account of random chance. And embrace the truth.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 01:31 PM
  #179
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
You missed my point.

Why the hell would I go on a rant about the Blue Jays as a result of my team having a tough year? Who gives a rats ass if the Blue Jays have won a few more games?

The point is, you and others like you, are Blue Jays fans because of the excessive TV coverage. You have been served up the koolaid all your life and you have taken a big drink. Enjoy being herded like a sheep.

I have no problem with someone being a fan of a distant team. The only issue I am presenting is how so many people are manipulated by CBC, CTV, TSN and SN to be Blue Jays fans. I refuse to be manipulated. Why would I be a fan of some random team 3,000km away? Just because the Toronto media says I should? No thanks. You can keep your team.
terrible argument

I imagine the reason most people like the Jays is because:
-they're Canadian
-they grew up watching the great teams of the late 80s and early 90s
-unless the Mariners, they've won something

nothing to do with "drinking the kool-aid" cause if that were truem we'd all be Leafs fans

the Canadian media like to play up the "Canada's team" angle which is fine IMO

and I'm not even a Jays fan

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 01:48 PM
  #180
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post

So, if you're a Jays fan living north of the 49th, accept that it's likely not on account of random chance. And embrace the truth.
It's a completely different argument for me. Yes I'm a Jays fan because they are a Canadian team and yes I'm an Oilers fan because I grew up in Edmonton and have known nothing but the Oilers. It's a different argument saying that the media is influencing everyone. Sure they definitely play their part and it makes it easier for us Jays fans to get Jays coverage via these stream but go figure they are the only Canadian team.

Kinda like Komo 4 network in Washington will primarily cover the Mariners.

However the point is if TSN and Sportsnet rarely talked about teh Jays I would still root for them and find out information about them how I normally do, online.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:30 PM
  #181
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
For the first 20 years of my life I lived in the countryside and didn't have access to TSN and Sportsnet. So I defintiely wasn't influenced by the Kool-aid.

Are you really saying you choose to be a Mariners fan because they are so close to you? If not then why don't you tell us your heroic story of not drinking the kool-aid. My guess is you became a fan of them when they had a solid team of players in Edgar and Tino Martinez, The Big Unit, Jay Buhner, a young A Rod, Griffey, Dan Wilson, Joey Cora and the rest of theit solid pitching staff. These days with this thing called internet, it's pretty easy to be a fan of whatever sports team you want. Hell you could be a hard core soccer fan and cheer for teams over in Europe.

Really your argument is just silly.
I was a fan of the Mariners well before they were good. Alvin Davis was the big star when I became a fan - jumping a bandwagon has never been part of my m.o. I became a Mariners fan because I went to their games every summer. I lived closer to Seattle than any other Major League team and they were my home team.

Believe what you want and be a fan of who you want. I refuse to cheer for the team being forced upon me my the national propagan...err media.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:32 PM
  #182
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
First off, the Blue Jays are not some random team. You wanna talk random? Try the Pittsburgh Pirates or the Milwaukee Brewers.

Secondly, your 'sheep' assesment is way out to lunch. By your logic, we should all be Leaf fans, no? I hate the Leafs, hate the Argonauts, don't give a rats arse about the Raptors or Toronto FC, don't care for the Rock...

...but I like the Jays.

Media has nothing to do with it. You can hate the Jays all you want, but don't try to force-feed your crazy theories down our throats.

Out of curiosity though, if you're an NFL fan, who's your favorite team?
What makes the Pirates or Brewers more random than the Blue Jays? The propaganda and hype given the Blue Jays in this country. To someone not living in Canada and not exposed to the propaganda, the Blue Jays are very random.

I am not an NFL fan.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:41 PM
  #183
AHF
Registered User
 
AHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to AHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
As for the Blue Jays, I dunno 'bout "brainwashed", but there's no doubt that the more exposure there is to one particular team, the more inclined you are to follow them.
I guess I could've expanded on my comment a little bit.

For the common folk, the fairweather fans, yes, the media definetly plays a part.

The 'real' fans though, they are smart enough to make their own decisions, no matter what the puppets on TV are saying. The thousands of Blue Jay fans that make the trek to Safeco year after year to watch the Jays...I can guarantee that they aren't following the Jays because the media 'brainwashed' them.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:06 PM
  #184
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
I was a fan of the Mariners well before they were good. Alvin Davis was the big star when I became a fan - jumping a bandwagon has never been part of my m.o. I became a Mariners fan because I went to their games every summer. I lived closer to Seattle than any other Major League team and they were my home team.

Believe what you want and be a fan of who you want. I refuse to cheer for the team being forced upon me my the national propagan...err media.
I'm sorry you feel that way, however I don't feel I'm being forced to watch and cheer for the Jays. I've always been a fan of baseball and got into the MLB when I was younger and back to back championships definitely didn't hurt the Jays gaining another fan. I'm not blinded by how terrible of a team the Jays have been over the last few seasons and will continue to be if they don't get a competitive pitching staff.

Also is this there where I poke fun of your spelling error?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:12 PM
  #185
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
You missed my point.

Why the hell would I go on a rant about the Blue Jays as a result of my team having a tough year? Who gives a rats ass if the Blue Jays have won a few more games?

The point is, you and others like you, are Blue Jays fans because of the excessive TV coverage. You have been served up the koolaid all your life and you have taken a big drink. Enjoy being herded like a sheep.

I have no problem with someone being a fan of a distant team. The only issue I am presenting is how so many people are manipulated by CBC, CTV, TSN and SN to be Blue Jays fans. I refuse to be manipulated. Why would I be a fan of some random team 3,000km away? Just because the Toronto media says I should? No thanks. You can keep your team.
Not sure how you would assume that any distant fan of the Blue Jays has been herded.

Not really a baseball fan at all because basically the Yankees and Bosox are either in the playoffs or challenging for it every year. The salary discrepancy in baseball is so ridiculous that I rarely watch baseball.

Should I assume anyone that does is just stupid because the regular season is a waste of time? Book the Yankees or Boston to win the pennant! I haven't followed all year but I am willing to bet that Boston or the Yankees or both are on top. Am I correct?

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:41 PM
  #186
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Not sure how you would assume that any distant fan of the Blue Jays has been herded.

Not really a baseball fan at all because basically the Yankees and Bosox are either in the playoffs or challenging for it every year. The salary discrepancy in baseball is so ridiculous that I rarely watch baseball.

Should I assume anyone that does is just stupid because the regular season is a waste of time? Book the Yankees or Boston to win the pennant! I haven't followed all year but I am willing to bet that Boston or the Yankees or both are on top. Am I correct?
The Yankees have dominated baseball for a long time and the BoSox being a dominant team has only happened since the mid-2000's.

Anyhow you are correct as of today the Yanks lead the division and the BoSox are leading the AL Wildcard. However the Jays got a huge victory over them today and helped out Tampa Bay and any other teams chasing the wild card.

I understand why you dislike baseball and it's what made me dislike baseball for a number of years. However the accumulation of talent on the BoSox, Yankess and Cardinals is good to watch for the fans either to cheer against or to just watch the sheer talent on those teams. Some of the best baseball players in the world.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 05:11 PM
  #187
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
The Yankees have dominated baseball for a long time and the BoSox being a dominant team has only happened since the mid-2000's.

Anyhow you are correct as of today the Yanks lead the division and the BoSox are leading the AL Wildcard. However the Jays got a huge victory over them today and helped out Tampa Bay and any other teams chasing the wild card.

I understand why you dislike baseball and it's what made me dislike baseball for a number of years. However the accumulation of talent on the BoSox, Yankess and Cardinals is good to watch for the fans either to cheer against or to just watch the sheer talent on those teams. Some of the best baseball players in the world.
I understand. In reality I was exaggerating it to make the point that no one has the right to tell someone they are a "sheep" because they vote for a certain team.

I was truthful in my decision to not watch a lot of baseball because of the domination of a couple of teams but I would never assume someone else is a "sheep" because they love baseball or a certain team.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 05:25 PM
  #188
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,547
vCash: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Hopefully, they can join a stronger, more stable league next year.
How do they go about this and what are the options?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:30 AM
  #189
Hunt4Oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London On
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
How do they go about this and what are the options?
They've had a tough go since being in the PCL. They were in the Northern League for a few years as the Cracker Cats and the teams were asked for 500k or something like that to keep things going. Then they joined the newly formed Golden League for 2 years as the Capitals, that League ended and the new NAL (North American League) was formed including some teams from the Northern and Golden League. It hasn't been a very stable first year for this league either, Lake County dropped out for financial reasons and Maui shouldn't have a team as they draw 700 or less fans and teams are obviously expected to fly to those games. Apparently there are up to 6 more teams joining the league next season, hopefully those teams have solid ownership like the Capitals. They need to do something about the Championship series as well, playing all 7 games in the same city is a little bit bush league for sure.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 10:30 AM
  #190
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4Oil View Post
They've had a tough go since being in the PCL. They were in the Northern League for a few years as the Cracker Cats and the teams were asked for 500k or something like that to keep things going. Then they joined the newly formed Golden League for 2 years as the Capitals, that League ended and the new NAL (North American League) was formed including some teams from the Northern and Golden League. It hasn't been a very stable first year for this league either, Lake County dropped out for financial reasons and Maui shouldn't have a team as they draw 700 or less fans and teams are obviously expected to fly to those games. Apparently there are up to 6 more teams joining the league next season, hopefully those teams have solid ownership like the Capitals. They need to do something about the Championship series as well, playing all 7 games in the same city is a little bit bush league for sure.
I say the best for Ownership and for baseball for this city would see a AAA team come back here and we get back into the PCL regardless of who's farm team that is. However I heard that the PCL doesn't want Canadian teams in it due to extra travel costs. I think this is kind of stupid but if Katz and co could make it happen I'd be at a lot more ball games in the summer.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 05:18 PM
  #191
Hunt4Oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London On
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,114
vCash: 500
The Oilers tried hard to get AAA back here. At the moment the PCL is not interested in having a Canadian team due to border crossing issues. Cost probably factors in as well. Maybe if Calgary and Vancouver could get back into the PCL, then it might be worth it for them. I would love to see AAA here again and I'm in the same boat as you as far as I don't care what farm team it is.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:06 AM
  #192
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,547
vCash: 448
Evan Daum ‏@evandaum
Edmonton Caps vice president Darryl Porter holding a media availability today at 1 p.m. to comment on the future of pro ball in town.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:42 AM
  #193
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,547
vCash: 448
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...home-for-2013/

No baseball this year.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:42 PM
  #194
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,723
vCash: 500
Disappointing.

Oh well, baseball fans can come watch me and my friends play U of A campus rec softball if they want

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:20 PM
  #195
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,259
vCash: 500
I'm not a baseball fan but its a shame to have such a great facility in a wonderful location go unused. I've gone to games just to be in the facility, catch some rays, and take in the relaxed river valley atmosphere.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:24 PM
  #196
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,557
vCash: 50
It's too bad.

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I wouldn't mind going to the odd summer league AAA game and pounding back a few beers.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:18 PM
  #197
jbean
Registered User
 
jbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,716
vCash: 500
AAA or even AA affiliated with a major league team would be amazing. I would go to ten games a year easily. Only a few franchises would have anything to do with us though. Seattle, Minnesota, maybe the Rockies. We're just too far away for anybody to consider Edmontona viable location.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:42 PM
  #198
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,549
vCash: 610
That's tough to hear. Looks like any league the Capitals play in will have to be Western Canadian-only, and require some tight financial controls.

I've probably mentioned this before, but I work right behind the stadium, and one of the most beautiful sights in this city is seeing the old ballpark lit up for a night game in the river valley.

We need baseball back.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:24 PM
  #199
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,547
vCash: 448
Once again I caught the end of a segment, but Lowetide was talking with someone from the prospects. Really seem to be doing some promoting this year. Al Coates sounds like he'll be the broadcaster for games on the Team and they are doing specials with the boxes.

Sounds like they've made contact with local little league and are giving tickets or some sort of deal.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:29 PM
  #200
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,614
vCash: 500
It's a shame because Edmontonians actually like baseball and had the best attendance in the league. Not only that, but they won the championship. The city is just stuck in a rough place.

DousedInOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.