HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Traverse City: New York Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes (3:00pm) MSG(HD)

Old
09-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
You're going to use one play as a question to his speed? He's played 3 games in 4 nights after a long summer, playing a ton of minutes, and an extra 10 of overtime. He was tired.

EDIT: I skimmed over the last part. Thomas is very fast.
beat me to it...Thomas is EXTREMELY fast....his speed is usually the first thing you notice about him, and then his amazing hands....kid screwed up. it happens.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Can't get on Thomas too much for that play.

We know he's a liability defensively, isn't a heady player, and can be prone to turnovers...

However, it's good for him to learn from that mistake now, at age 19.
people get on Thomas for that bad play but what about the players at the NHL level who do the same like EC, Avery Boyle etc etc etc

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:38 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Thomas is very fast, it was his hustle that led to McColgan's goal. The GWG...stuff happens. He still had a goal and an assist and has drawn like 70 penalties in this tournament.

McLIrath wasn't bad, he just made an immature play going after Staal before the goal was scored and the 3 on 3...that's not something a lot of guys do in an organized professional game. He was a little too penalty happy this game.

Look, there's no reason to be mad or start doubting hockey senses etc.

-There was going to be a letdown knowing they already made it to the Finals and Carolina pretty much had to win because they've been embarrassed so far in this tournament.

-Not having Yogan and especially Parlett made a huge difference. Noreau is solid, Cesnerak is still learning and needs to adapt to the NA game, and the rest of the D after Erixon, McLirath, Parlett and Noreau are nothing special. Niemi made some decent plays but overall I'm not super impressed.

-If they had to lose one game let it be this one so they'll be angry and hungry tomorrow night.

-Regardless of the outcome it's been a good tournament and as an organization you have to be impressed with the strides the Rangers have made. And remember, they don't have Krieder, Fasth, Lindberg, or Fogarty here.

-I like McColgan a lot, good overall game. And JAM has been very impressive as well. Pleasant surprises.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Guys, the next GDT for tomorrow night's Cup game is up.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:42 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
You're going to use one play as a question to his speed? He's played 3 games in 4 nights after a long summer, playing a ton of minutes, and an extra 10 of overtime. He was tired.

EDIT: I skimmed over the last part. Thomas is very fast.
That's what I've heard about him - so I was kinda surprised.

And I'm not gonna get on a guy so young for that mistake...no biggie, it's not like it's the 7th game of the cup finals.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:44 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
beat me to it...Thomas is EXTREMELY fast....his speed is usually the first thing you notice about him, and then his amazing hands....kid screwed up. it happens.
Alright, I'll take your word for it.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:46 PM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
people get on Thomas for that bad play but what about the players at the NHL level who do the same like EC, Avery Boyle etc etc etc
...people get on them too, when they make a mistake that costs the game.

It was an awful play for sure, but one that wouldn't have ended the game if it wasn't 3v3, or even if there were 2 dmen out like there should have been.

Saying Thomas isn't a heady player though is laughable.

E Nixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:32 AM
NYR Viper

I know it wasn't the smartest play in the world for McIlrath but the game meant nothing......

If the Rangers were in the playoffs already and on the last game of the season someone took a run at Callahan you wouldn't condone McIlrath skating over to confront and/or beat that player down? I would.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Levitate

3 on 3 seems like a terrible idea and I'm not really surprised players ****ed it all up. You never play 3 on 3 except in scrimmages when no one cares about playing defense. Positioning and assignments go out the window...it's a mess and I hope the NHL doesn't bring it in.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
3 on 3 seems like a terrible idea and I'm not really surprised players ****ed it all up. You never play 3 on 3 except in scrimmages when no one cares about playing defense. Positioning and assignments go out the window...it's a mess and I hope the NHL doesn't bring it in.
3 on 3 is better than a shootout IMO. At least it shows some semblance of the game, rather than a gimmicky skills competition

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Levitate

I really really don't like it. Just do more 4 on 4 if you want more OT

I'm not a gigantic shootout fan but 3 on 3 just annoys the **** out of me

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:30 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
3 on 3 is better than a shootout IMO. At least it shows some semblance of the game, rather than a gimmicky skills competition
What they should do is, kind of like NCAA football, give each team a PP for 2 minutes and whoever can score more wins.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:27 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Why is it such a crime to point out that Thomas turned the puck over and it led to the game-losing goal? Why is it a crime to point out that McIlrath should have been backing him up on the play?

No one is (or should be) using that one play to decide these players' fates. We're simply pointing out that they made a mistake. No one's getting "on them".

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:45 PM
haveandare

Just finished watching the game. I didn't think that Thomas play was that bad. As others have said, McIlrath was out of position and caused the turnover to become a goal. I'm not too worried about either of them based on that play though since 3 on 3 isn't something anyone deals with often and isn't something that these guys will have to deal with in the NHL.

Aside from that unfortunate last play, Thomas was far and away the biggest offensive weapon that game. His goal came from a shot with his trademarked ridiculous release and the goal he set up was a smart, fast play made almost entirely by him. I thought he played a really, really solid game up until that last second.

Also, it made me happy to see Erixon open the shooting gallery toward the end there. He must have had half a dozen shots in a row. The goalie put on a good show also.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:41 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

So what happens if a player takes a penalty during a 3 vs. 3 OT?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
So what happens if a player takes a penalty during a 3 vs. 3 OT?
Probably this... LOL

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:22 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
mcilraths problems today are a continuation of what i posted after the first game. hes played in all 3 games and hes been shaky in all. at the same time, erixon has stood out as our overall best player.

for a guy whos supposed to be such a stud prospect, his overall on ice game is rather weak. when you watch him closely, he seems tentative and unsure of his role on the ice. not what i was expecting.

not gonna repeat myself as ive already highlighted his issues. this kid is a long way away.

im feeling rather down about him today. the problems i see are more related to his actual skills and hockey sense- its been poor at best. and that to me is a concern
And that's exactly why before Traverse City began many people were expecting Erixon to make the team out of camp, while thinking that McIlrath was still at least a year, more like two, away from competing for a spot on the big squad. All this tournament has done is cement those beliefs.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote