HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canes looking to sign depth defenseman

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2011, 10:59 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Canes didn't give him a guaranteed spot. He spent the year in Charlotte.

I won't get into a discussion about who won the trade for two guys who still aren't NHLrs, but this could work out for both sides. Canes had a lot of 2nd round picks that year, have a lot of young defensemen (McBain, Faulk, Alt, Sanguinetti, Biega, Levi, etc...) and were looking for a guy who could eventually be a 3rd line center. If Nash works out in that role, they'll get what they wanted.

Oilers had a guy who didn't want to play there and got a 2nd round pick and got a guy who looks very promising.

Won't know for sure until a few years from now, but it could work out well for both.
I know he didn't get the spot, but that's something at the start of camp that I remember hearing.

I totally agree that both teams can win this deal. I just think from our standpoint we already won because Nash wasn't going to sign here and we would've lost him for nothing.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:00 AM
caley

vCash: 500
So, given that they're looking for a guy to help out their minor team, the following UFAs are the only ones left that really make any sense:

-Steve Staios (Don't know if he would sign to play in the AHL with a possible TSN gig on the offing)
-Nick Boynton
-Paul Mara
-David Hale (Was rumored to be looking for a deal in Europe)
-Brett Lebda
-Jason Strudwick
-Joe Callahan
-Mathieu Roy
-Ray Macias

My guess is Roy or Hale.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:04 AM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

A guy like Hnidy would fit. Tough, defensive defenseman good for a #7-8 role.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Shanny
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
A guy like Hnidy would fit. Tough, defensive defenseman good for a #7-8 role.
He's retired....

Old
09-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I know he didn't get the spot, but that's something at the start of camp that I remember hearing.
I can't speak for his time in Edmonton, but the Canes brass was very clear that he was not guaranteed a spot and I even remember some interviews with him saying he'd have to earn it. So as far as I can tell, that was never in play.

Quote:
I totally agree that both teams can win this deal. I just think from our standpoint we already won because Nash wasn't going to sign here and we would've lost him for nothing.
That's fair.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:09 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
So, given that they're looking for a guy to help out their minor team, the following UFAs are the only ones left that really make any sense:

-Steve Staios (Don't know if he would sign to play in the AHL with a possible TSN gig on the offing)
-Nick Boynton
-Paul Mara
-David Hale (Was rumored to be looking for a deal in Europe)
-Brett Lebda
-Jason Strudwick
-Joe Callahan
-Mathieu Roy
-Ray Macias

My guess is Roy or Hale.
I doubt most of those guys would go to the AHL. Roy I guess, but Strudwick could probably make more doing some made up job that the Oilers invent for him.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I would agree although Harrison and Joslin are not very good and apparently they don't have faith in Sanguinetti cause you think he could earn time ahead of those 2

McCabe rumors for sure. Would be funny to see him back with Kaberle
Actually, Harrison was pretty solid last year in a bottom pairing role (which was why he was re-signed). Just don't ever expect anything more than a bottom pairing though. Joslin wasn't here long enough to make an accurate assessment. I thought he just looked OK with ups and downs, some other Canes fans were more impressed.

Again though, the follow-on tweet from the beat writer said that they were looking for help in Charlotte in case Faulk makes the team. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a case where they want to add another marginal bottom pairing guy to the 4 bottom pairing guys they already have (Harrison, Sanguinetti, Allen, Joslin)

Old
09-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I would agree although Harrison and Joslin are not very good and apparently they don't have faith in Sanguinetti cause you think he could earn time ahead of those 2
Harrison's fine. He's a serviceable 6-7th defenseman, and that's all the role he's being asked to play. Joslin didn't play enough for Carolina to get a good feel for, but he's young enough to where it's foolish to make such a declarative judgment about him.

As far as Sanguinetti, he's been on and off IR during his stint with Carolina. So there's the reason he's not been making it over Harrison/Joslin. Well, that and his below average defensive play.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:30 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Didn't Nash want a guranteed spot from the Oilers and the Canes were going to give him that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Canes didn't give him a guaranteed spot. He spent the year in Charlotte.

I won't get into a discussion about who won the trade for two guys who still aren't NHLrs, but this could work out for both sides. Canes had a lot of 2nd round picks that year, have a lot of young defensemen (McBain, Faulk, Alt, Sanguinetti, Biega, Levi, etc...) and were looking for a guy who could eventually be a 3rd line center. If Nash works out in that role, they'll get what they wanted.

Oilers had a guy who didn't want to play there and got a 2nd round pick and got a guy who looks very promising.

Won't know for sure until a few years from now, but it could work out well for both.
The rumor was that he wanted a guaranteed spot, I don't buy that though. I could see him not wanting to play in a system so stacked with guys who would have been rookies last year, because he probably wouldn't even have been considered for an NHL spot. At least in Carolina he had the chance to crack the NHL last year, he just didn't earn it. And who knows, it could have just been a way for the guy to get a trade to a system that he didn't like being in. I know that I heard somewhere that the Oil wanted him to go to leave the NCAA once he was drafted, and there was a conflict there. Who knows if that's true or not though.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
The rumor was that he wanted a guaranteed spot, I don't buy that though. I could see him not wanting to play in a system so stacked with guys who would have been rookies last year, because he probably wouldn't even have been considered for an NHL spot. At least in Carolina he had the chance to crack the NHL last year, he just didn't earn it. And who knows, it could have just been a way for the guy to get a trade to a system that he didn't like being in. I know that I heard somewhere that the Oil wanted him to go to leave the NCAA once he was drafted, and there was a conflict there. Who knows if that's true or not though.
Yeah..a lot of that makes sense. Even though he had a chance in Carolina, it still was pretty slim with no professional experience. Staal and Sutter were locks for one of the the top 3 C spots. In addition, the Canes had Ruutu (who is a natural center who had been playing wing) and Nash had to compete with Dalpe, Boychuk, Skinner (who was just drafted). In the end, only 1 rookie made the roster fulltime (and that was Skinner on the Wing).

Even this year, he doesn't have much of a chance. The Canes forward ranks basically has 1 (maybe 2) spots up for grabs for Tlusty, Dalpe, Boychuck, Bowman, Samson, Nash, or anyone else to grab. I see Nash behind most of those guys from a development standpoint. Staal, Poni, Stewart, Jokinen, Ruutu, Skinner, Sutter, LaRose, Dwyer, Brent are all pretty much locks to make the roster.

I think the Canes are looking at long term him being a 3rd line center and want him to log time in the AHL until then. Long term I could envision Staal and Sutter being the 1st and 2nd line center and potentially Nash being the 3rd line. That would leave guys like Skinner, Dalpe, Boychuk, Bowman, Ruutu (if he re-signs), and Jokinen to fill up top 9 wing spots.

He'll definitely have to earn it though, because Dalpe, Ruutu, and Skinner also are natural centers (and the Canes recently drafted Rask and Hoffman who have potential).

Old
09-14-2011, 12:24 PM
SenzZen
Unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
CAR: Tom Poti

WSH: A promise that Carolina won't give him back
This. Poti's why I can't take the Caps seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannzee View Post
I dont know about Campoli, does Rutherford never add Russians?

McCabe or Lebda are my guess.
Is this 2 separate thoughts?

Old
09-14-2011, 12:33 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Campoli

Old
09-14-2011, 12:57 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Mathieu Roy, come on down!

Old
09-14-2011, 01:10 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landfill2 View Post
Kuba? Please?
love the avatar stevie.

Old
09-14-2011, 01:27 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
Is this 2 separate thoughts?
I really, really hope so, lol.

Old
09-14-2011, 01:31 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
I think McCabe would look great with Kaberle.

Old
09-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Hi-wayman

Aaron Rome + Mikael Samuelsson + Jordan Schroeder
for Tuomo Ruutu + 2012 second round pick

Old
09-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 3998
Confirmed...

Hurricanes Sign Defenseman Mathieu Roy