HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mats Zuccarello and the 3rd Line RW Spot

Old
09-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
If Zuccarello is in Hartford, its unlikely that we carry 14 forwards anyway. Only possibility of that is if he, or another forward rookie makes it.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
EC's cap hit being 1/2 of MZA is a pretty big deal considering we'd be over the cap if we carried all 14 forwards...

but more importantly no one cares if EC rots in the press box. if MZA isn't playing regularly then he should be playing on the top line in hartford waiting to the first call up...if he makes the top 12, then he plays but no point in keeping him as the 13th guy.
I'm not suggesting carrying 14. If you feel MZA brings something to the roster, I think you've got to waive Christensen.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Vitto79

again if MZA has a good camp and earns a spot then he will play

Their is also a good chance we will see EC and Avery on waivers during camp. Not saying anyone will pick them up but I can see them waived and if they clear they stay on the team.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:39 AM
NYR Viper

I think EC gets traded by the end of camp to a team that has an injury during camp.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 04:09 AM
Xtranova

I think he will pin down that 3rd line RW without a doubt in my mind. He might even get bumped up during the season if his play is good enough. And now with Richards' arrival as a proper PPQB it wouldn't surprise me if MZA got a spot in the poweplay lines as well. I expect a better season of him this year because I think he is capable of doing so. And I recall reading an interview somewhere that he was one of the first players to arrive at the training center this summer as well. Which prooves determination and will for improving on the parts where his fuel went out last year!

40-50p+ season is my guess!

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtranova View Post
I think he will pin down that 3rd line RW without a doubt in my mind. He might even get bumped up during the season if his play is good enough. And now with Richards' arrival as a proper PPQB it wouldn't surprise me if MZA got a spot in the poweplay lines as well. I expect a better season of him this year because I think he is capable of doing so. And I recall reading an interview somewhere that he was one of the first players to arrive at the training center this summer as well. Which prooves determination and will for improving on the parts where his fuel went out last year!

40-50p+ season is my guess!
---

He went over just before august. I belive Mats is gunning for the spot it seems everyone has Wolski in, second line with Cally and Anisimov/Stepan. And i belive atleast hope he knocks Wolski out of that spot and even gets 1 line pp dutys.

PP with Richards , Gaborik, Zuccarello, Callahan would be fantastic in MO The last spot im not sure of but maybee Erixon or Del Zotto fits in on the blueline . My wish is this, but it might be smart to get a D-man in there. 5-3 on the other hand this will result in goal everytime!

--------------Richards------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------Gaborik----------------------

----Zuccarello------------------------------------------------Stepan/Dubinsky

-------------------------------Callahan---------------------------------

Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 01:16 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Boyle AA Prust is the 3rd line to shutdown the opposition. They're big, they're strong, they can score and they'll put a fist in your face if you don't like it. Similar to a Staal 3rd line for Pittsburgh Talbot Staal Cooke, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I think EC gets traded by the end of camp to a team that has an injury during camp.
yeah traded to hartford

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Boyle AA Prust is the 3rd line to shutdown the opposition. They're big, they're strong, they can score and they'll put a fist in your face if you don't like it. Similar to a Staal 3rd line for Pittsburgh Talbot Staal Cooke, etc.

yeah traded to hartford
Thats not even a line - both AA and Boyle will be playing center.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
I strongly belive, Mats will have a monster camp and knock out any competition he might have.

This guy better put up or shut up already. I'm tired of so many posters - especially his countrymen - hyping him over and over when he's done virtually nothing outside of shootouts.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
This guy better put up or shut up already. I'm tired of so many posters - especially his countrymen - hyping him over and over when he's done virtually nothing outside of shootouts.
I agree, those two posts in this thread really annoys the **** out of me

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:12 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
He's done more than Hagelin and Bourque ever have yet people are dying to give them spots.

Please, he scores at a .5 PPG pace as a first year NHLer from Europe in the middle of a heated playoff race and he's done "virtually nothing"? He got sent down because his defense was lacking, not because he was doing virtually nothing. He's the best option we have for that spot by

If he plays 82 games this year i'd be willing to be he scores near 50 points if he gets PP time and plays with Stepan. Doesn't help he's behind the elite sniper Marian Gaborik and the Captain Ryan Callahan in his natural position, either.

If Wolski doesn't click on the 2nd line, I want MZA there.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 02:15 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

And put up and shut up ALREADY? Are you kidding me? He's been in the NHL for 40 GAMES for ****s sake.

edit- sorry double post, meant to put this with the original one.

Old
09-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
He's done more than Hagelin and Bourque ever have yet people are dying to give them spots.

Please, he scores at a .5 PPG pace as a first year NHLer from Europe in the middle of a heated playoff race and he's done "virtually nothing"? He got sent down because his defense was lacking, not because he was doing virtually nothing. He's the best option we have for that spot by

If he plays 82 games this year i'd be willing to be he scores near 50 points if he gets PP time and plays with Stepan. Doesn't help he's behind the elite sniper Marian Gaborik and the Captain Ryan Callahan in his natural position, either.

Yeah, but he's a Euro. A Euro that wasn't even drafted by the Rangers. That alone means he'll never amount to anything.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:

So because others are touting other prospects that makes you right? He scored 6 goals in half a season. He's not 19 years old and he's not going to get any bigger. He put up good numbers in European leagues against other small players. People here are more than willing to give Erixon a chance because he looks like he can make it. But the more you hype Zuccarello, the worse he looks in comparison to the hype.

"I want MZA there [second line]."

Why stop at the second line? Why not storm into Tort's office and threaten not to attend another game until he's with Gaborik & Richards?

Old
09-14-2011, 03:12 PM
boyle2boyle
HFBoards Sponsor

Just thought of this, I thought it looked fancy...

Dubinsky-Richards-Callahan
Zuccarello-Anisimov-Gaborik
Wolski-Stepan-Fedotenko
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

boyle2boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:12 PM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Quote:
This is part of the issue with Zuccarello's role on the club -- to be blunt, he isn't the type of player you want as your 3rd line RW. He's a player you want in your top-6, in a scoring role.

That's a good thing and a bad thing, mostly a good thing, in my opinion, simply because of the fact that the team has enough depth at RW in the top-6 to push a very, very talented player out of it.

Quote:
That'd be a perfect spot for him. Unfortunately for Mats, I think Wolski will perform just fine there...but if he doesn't, Zuccarello should be there.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:13 PM
nyrleetch

MZA deserves a chance. I think if given the chance he can put up a good year of around 40-50 points. He was a rookie on NA ice for what the first time? Give the guy time to adjust he will only get better.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
So because others are touting other prospects that makes you right? He scored 6 goals in half a season. He's not 19 years old and he's not going to get any bigger. He put up good numbers in European leagues against other small players. People here are more than willing to give Erixon a chance because he looks like he can make it. But the more you hype Zuccarello, the worse he looks in comparison to the hype.

Why stop at the second line? Why not storm into Tort's office and threaten not to attend another game until he's with Gaborik & Richards?
When Martin St. Louis was 24, he put up a season in Calgary; 56 games, 3 goals, 18 points, -5 rating.

He didn't hit 20 goals in a season until he was 27.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:14 PM
nyrleetch

MZA was 11th in rookie scoring p/g

Tied with Derek Stepan.

Last edited by nyrleetch: 09-14-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Took out guys who played under 5 games
nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:15 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

Oh yeah because that's totally what I said.

6 goals and 17 assists for 23 points as a playmaker in 42 games. which would've translated to 12 goals and 34 assists for a little less than 46 points over a full season. But nooooo I don't want him on my team! He's too tiny and can't improve at the ripe old age of 24. In comparison, Wolski put up 35 points in 73 games.

I'd rather hype up the guy who dominated the SEL than any of our bottom 6 prospects, as much as I like Bourque and Hagelin.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Oh yeah because that's totally what I said.

6 goals and 17 assists for 23 points as a playmaker in 42 games. which would've translated to 12 goals and 34 assists for a little less than 46 points over a full season. But nooooo I don't want him on my team! He's too tiny and can't improve at the ripe old age of 24. In comparison, Wolski put up 35 points in 73 games.

I'd rather hype up the guy who dominated the SEL than any of our bottom 6 prospects, as much as I like Bourque and Hagelin.
46 points is good, especially for a rookie. It needs to be maybe a little better because of his defensive and physical shortcomings but 46 points would be one of the better on last year's club.

If Zucc makes the team, and I suspect he may get him on the powerplay unit and see where it goes. Its not like we have a ton of top 6 guys just knocking on the door right now, Krieder is unavailable, Thomas seems to be a ways off and Hagelin is better suited for a bottom 6 role to start his career.

We need PP guys anyways. Anisimov is not a huge PP guy. Richards will be at the point. Dubi and Cally shouldnt have to play 26 minute games all year.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:25 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
46 points is good, especially for a rookie. It needs to be maybe a little better because of his defensive and physical shortcomings but 46 points would be one of the better on last year's club.

If Zucc makes the team, and I suspect he may get him on the powerplay unit and see where it goes. Its not like we have a ton of top 6 guys just knocking on the door right now, Krieder is unavailable, Thomas seems to be a ways off and Hagelin is better suited for a bottom 6 role to start his career.

We need PP guys anyways. Anisimov is not a huge PP guy. Richards will be at the point. Dubi and Cally shouldnt have to play 26 minute games all year.
Exactly. 46~ points for a guy in his first NHL season would've been fantastic, even if he's 3 years older than Stepan. Instead of 2 scoring lines and 2 checking lines, the success of MZA let's us run 3 balanced lines of grit, skill, defensive awareness and scoring which is how I want to see the team built.

I think on a line with Feds and Stepan, MZA could have a very good season. Especially if he can do good on the PP- he looked very good there at times last year but then got a little jumpy.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post

Fine, but don't hype the guy with a new thread every week telling us he's going to be the star of the team when the only thing he impressed with is shootouts.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Fine, but don't hype the guy with a new thread every week telling us he's going to be the star of the team when the only thing he impressed with is shootouts.
To be fair, I think if the kid had been a Ranger draft pick, and were maybe 2 inches taller he'd be #1 on our prospects ranking list.

Jury is out, for sure. I remain cautiously optimistic about him. He has been far more effective than, Matt Gilroy, Jamtin, Marcel Hossa, Christensen, just about any of our more recent experiments.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:50 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats not even a line - both AA and Boyle will be playing center.
Playing Boyle 7minutes a game centering the 4th line is a huge waste after last year.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote